Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,801,984 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:29 AM

I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps (16744 Views)

Oba saga: She is not my wife, I won't issue apology - Obasanjo disowns Taiwo / Edo Assembly Crisis: I’ll Not Issue Fresh Proclamation - Obaseki / We Won't Issue Certificate Of Return To Rochas Okorocha - INEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by nairavsdollars(f): 7:27am On Jul 23, 2019
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State on Monday insisted that he will not issue a fresh proclamation for the inauguration of Edo State House of Assembly as demanded by the House of Representatives and the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).

The House of Representatives last week urged the governor to issue a fresh proclamation within one week in line with section 105(3) of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999 (as amended) for a proper inauguration of the state’s 7th Assembly.

It also ordered the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS) to seal off the House of Assembly until a proper inauguration is done.
Also, the ruling APC had on Sunday called on the governor to obey the resolution of the House of Representatives and issue fresh proclamation.

However, speaking with Daily Independent on Monday the governor, who spoke through Crusoe Osagie, his Special Adviser on Media and Communication Strategy, said his responsibility as regards the inauguration of Edo State House of Assembly has ended with the first proclamation.

He said, “It is unconstitutional for the governor to issue any other proclamation. The constitution says that the governor shall issue a proclamation letter.

“That is where the governor’s responsibility begins and ends in the constitution of the House of Assembly. So, after doing that, the governor cannot issue another proclamation because the constitution does not allow him to do so”.
The Edo State chapter of the APC on Monday also said the House of Representatives lacks the power to order the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and the Director-General of the Department of State Services (DSS) to seal off the House of Assembly until a proper inauguration is done.
In an interview with journalists, Anselm Ojezua, the state chairman of the party, also assured the people of the state that no invasion will take place in the state as Edo is not a colony of the National Assembly but a sovereign part of Nigeria.

While restating his earlier statement that the leadership of the party is comfortable with the development in the House of Assembly as its preferred candidates are the ones occupying leadership positions, Ojezua said the intervention of the National Assembly has worsened the political situation in the state rather than resolve it.

According to him, “The people of Edo should continue to live in peace and not to be worried by the so-called threat of an invasion. There will be no invasion against the people of Edo. Edo State remains a sovereign part of Nigeria. We are what we call federating partners.

“We are not anybody’s houseboys. Edo is not a colony of the National Assembly or of anybody or any entity. So, the people of Edo shouldn’t worry at all. All what is playing out now is just politics and it will be resolved politically”.

While accusing the leadership of the House of Reps of acting out a script, Ojezua said having sent its committee to the state on a fact-finding mission and the state chapter of the party has said it is not against the present leadership of the House led by the Speaker, Frank Okiye, what the National Assembly should have done is to recommend a political solution instead of threatening to take over the House.

“We don’t believe that the National Assembly has a right to intervene in this matter. We know that we are obliged to be polite to them when they come calling for very obvious reasons. So, we’ve made all the facts known. If we had resisted them, the tendency would have been that we have something to hide.

“They have come and they have all the facts. The fact is that the House was inaugurated, that a leadership is in place and they are actually functioning and that the matter is in court. With all that knowledge, what we expected to report and recommend is that in the light of all these facts, they should seek political solutions and watch the judicial pronouncements. They didn’t do that.

“They couldn’t even wait for the National Assembly process to be completed before they went to town. In doing that, they justify the speculation in town arising from audio recording where one of the House of Assembly member was boasting that the matter has been resolved and that the Senate President and the Speaker have already been told what to do and three days later, they did that which the voice said, even though prematurely of their own processes. That to my mind has compounded our problem rather than help to resolve”.
https://www.independent.ng/obaseki-to-apc-i-wont-issue-fresh-proclamation-for-edo-assembly/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by PapaBaby: 7:35am On Jul 23, 2019
It would be illegal to do it. Proclamation is done only once.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by LibertyRep: 7:40am On Jul 23, 2019
Ok
Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by gozmok1(m): 7:42am On Jul 23, 2019
we say no to godfatherism

10 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by thesicilian: 7:44am On Jul 23, 2019
Oshiomole was well respected by all when he left as Governor. But now the man who came into office on the platform of anti-godfatherism has now become the enemy of the people in an attempt to be like his godfather role models in APC.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Abdul05: 7:52am On Jul 23, 2019
grin
Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Kingosytex(m): 7:59am On Jul 23, 2019
cheesy
Where were those reps when oshiomole ran Edo State like a dictator?

1 Like

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by hisexcellency34: 8:46am On Jul 23, 2019
If Oshiomhole thinks he has craze, he has met a higher craze man in Obaseki..let the fight continue

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by yemmight(m): 8:49am On Jul 23, 2019
Oshiomole is just full of himself.

4 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by babyfaceafrica: 9:06am On Jul 23, 2019
rabbish..both obaseki and osho no well

4 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Amuocha: 9:11am On Jul 23, 2019
Great
Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by hisexcellency34: 9:57am On Jul 23, 2019
Who come well? Buhari

babyfaceafrica:
rabbish..both obaseki and osho no well

9 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Elslim: 9:59am On Jul 23, 2019
Battles of ogas at the top.....
Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by EnergyGaadd: 10:00am On Jul 23, 2019
Obaseki raking
Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Duru009(m): 10:02am On Jul 23, 2019
Las las Obaseki will decamp to PDP !!

Source: His P.A my consin.

10 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by peeps4u: 10:03am On Jul 23, 2019
I am not for or against Obaseki but I love the fact he didn't allow National assembly bully him. Obaseki's earlier proclamation should be challenged in court instead of the 'order' they gave like Obaseki and Edo House of Ass are answerable to National Assembly

14 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Nobody: 10:05am On Jul 23, 2019
See this mumu ungrateful obaseki, what happened to Ambode would be child's play compared to what oshiomole would do to you. Abi it's oshiomole that will be the one you will collect party form for your immaginary dream of 2nd term as Edo state Gorvenor. You never see something grin grin

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by hisexcellency34: 10:10am On Jul 23, 2019
Ambode treatment can't happen. APC leaders in Edo are with him on this matter. They were all against Ambode in Lagos
dumo1:
See this mumu u grateful obaseki, what happened to Ambide wouldbe child's play compared to what oshiomole would do to you. Abi it's oshiomole that will be the one you will collect party form for your immaginary dream of 2nd term as Edo state Gorvenor. You never see something grin grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by martineverest(m): 10:12am On Jul 23, 2019
this is what Lagos need

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Sunnycliff(m): 10:12am On Jul 23, 2019
Game of thrones.

Oshiomole should go and die

4 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by martineverest(m): 10:14am On Jul 23, 2019
dumo1:
See this mumu u grateful obaseki, what happened to Ambide wouldbe child's play compared to what oshiomole would do to you. Abi it's oshiomole that will be the one you will collect party form for your immaginary dream of 2nd term as Edo state Gorvenor. You never see something grin grin
u think Lagos is Edo state?? .....have u noticed that PDP is silent?

any move to remove obaseki will automatically give PDP upper hand..he is likely going to PDP...Edo people HATE oshiomole

18 Likes

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by NewsMuncher: 10:14am On Jul 23, 2019
dumo1:
Adeke... Elami!
Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by martineverest(m): 10:15am On Jul 23, 2019
yemmight:
Oshiomole is just full of himself.
u are wrong...the man is against corruption and Godfatherism.

oshiomole will kill APC las las... starting from Edo state

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Won't Issue Fresh Proclamation For Edo Assembly, Obaseki Tells APC, Reps by Milito: 10:16am On Jul 23, 2019
People are sentimentally supporting the Governor of Edo State because they don't like Oshiomole.

They are failing to see that this sets off a dangerous precedence for checks and balances at the state houses of assembly.

If Buhari had secretly issued a proclamation of the National Assembly for just few members the whole media spaces would have been shouting.

Now, a governor informs only his cohorts (which are less than half of the members) of the inauguration of a state House of assembly. And they went ahead to elect principal officers, even though they are just 1/3 of the members. What is wrong is wrong, no two way about it.

The problem with this country is basically hypocrisy.

The same thing is happening in Bauchi state, but no Oshiomole to blame for that one.

When this becomes a norm all over the country where a governor will only allow Hon. Members loyal to him to be inaugurated and to sit, our eyes will then open.

34 Likes 7 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ohanaeze: Ndigbo Won’t Support Nigeria’s Break-up / Abaribe And Others Publicly Denounce IPOB's Sit-At-Home Orders / Simi To Nigerian Government: How Much Can You Steal? How Much Can You Spend?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.