Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,045 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN (37928 Views)

UNICAL Begs Its Graduates To Come For Their Certificates / Nigeria Junior Secondary School English & Maths Exam Papers In 1946 / The Proposed Altanzeel Univeristy Kano By Isyaka Rabiu (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by 4gunners(m): 7:05pm On Jul 27, 2019
gbadekunle:

That is very true sha. A school like OAU won't take Accounting for 5years, then, 150k Hell No, that will be the father of all Aluta. In my own opinion, I don't see the benefit in this though, why not just graduate in 4 years and use the service year to write Skills and Professional instead of paying more money, stay one more year in school and still have Professional to write. Afterall, spending 5years studying Accounting is not a basis for passing ICAN exam in one sitting.
I was laughing reading your comment. You're perfectly right with regards to OAU, that's exactly what will happen. I guess you're a product of the skl. crazy skl ..lol
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2019
seunmsg:

The fear of lowering standards by universities is why graduates of participating institutions still need to write the professional stage of the qualifying exams just like all other ICAN students. If these institutions compromise on agreed standards, their students will be exposed at the professional stage.
Are you implying that they would have been exempted if those institutions groomed their students well?.
I also learnt ICAN intend having a university is it true?
Has the profession thought of training accountant in forensic accounting?
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 30, 2019
Am sure ICAN members are reading this, when next you hold a conference, this suggestion should be made to the executive.ICAN should consider signing mutual agreement with reputable institutions to enable members do only a semester and thesis to obtain MBA or M.Sc Accounting & Finance.
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jul 30, 2019
Also note that ANAN members are exempted from foundation and skills level too.
cc: Seun someone created a thread concerning this statement
*Highlight taken by First Choice Academy (FCA)*
Below are points highlighted from the sensitization program of ICAN 2019 syllabus review that took place at Lagos Airport Hotel on 27th of July 2019.
✍️ That the new syllabus is based on skills and competencies analysis, gap analysis, stakeholder’s consultation, benchmarking & internationalization such as ACCA, CIMA, ICAEW, CPA in Ireland etc.
✍️ ICAN has signed MOU with CIMA, CIPFA and ICAEW
✍️ ICAN brand has improved internationally with the relationship with Association of Chartered Accountant Worldwide.
✍️ ICAN brand is rapidly preparing student for global employment.
✍️ No changes to exam structure for foundation level for now
✍️ The core topics areas for each of the 15 subjects will focus on *consistency, Predictability & student competencies*
✍️ For Skills & Professional level, the 40 marks question is coming from main competencies area of each subject. Please take note
✍️ Students should have noticed that pass rate has increased greatly in the last 3 diets. There may be stricter application of pass rate because of the various measure put in place that should help student to pass easily.
✍️ The pass rate remains 50%
✍️ For Business Case Study, student will get business case not “question” 2 weeks before exam. Executive summary is now made compulsory for student before you can pass case study.
✍️ Professional ethics is CORE to ICAN and now included in all the 15 subjects of the syllabus
✍️ The study texts will now contain examinable questions and answers for each topic of the 15 subjects. Soft copy to be released next week.
✍️ ICAN to start 3 diet examination starting from 2020 (March, July and November diets).
Thank you.
I drew your attention but you haven't commented neither did you move that thread to front page

1 Like

Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by seunmsg(m): 8:47pm On Jul 30, 2019
asuustrike1:

Are you implying that they would have been exempted if those institutions groomed their students well?.
I also learnt ICAN intend having a university is it true?
Has the profession thought of training accountant in forensic accounting?

Yes, ICAN is planning to establish a university. Opinions are divided amongst members about the desirability or otherwise of the university though. I’m not sure a final decision has been taken on the matter.

ICAN has been training interested members in forensic Accounting through MPCE for about 10 years now. However, I’m not too sure if it is part of the new syllabus that was unveiled.
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 30, 2019
seunmsg:

Yes, ICAN is planning to establish a university. Opinions are divided amongst members about the desirability or otherwise of the university though. I’m not sure a final decision has been taken on the matter.

ICAN has been training interested members in forensic Accounting through MPCE for about 10 years now. However, I’m not too sure if it is part of the new syllabus that was unveiled.
Do you think forensic accounting should be introduced into their syllabus?. By the way did you read the last message I post drawing your attention to some changes?
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:11pm On Jul 30, 2019
asuustrike1:
Am sure ICAN members are reading this, when next you hold a conference, this suggestion should be made to the executive.ICAN should consider signing mutual agreement with reputable institutions to enable members do only a semester and thesis to obtain MBA or M.Sc Accounting & Finance.

It is not as easy and straightforward as you suggested. MSc and MBA are academic programs that are regulated by NUC. Most ICAN members that need this shorter route to MBA or M.Sc are HND holders or OND and secondary school holders who started writing ICAN exams from ATSWA stage. The problem is, NUC always argue that ICAN is a professional qualification that cannot be substituted for academic qualification which is a basic requirement for any masters degree program in Nigeria. As a result, they always frustrate every effort to admit ICAN certificate holders directly to MBA or MSc programs.

ICAN attempted to solve this problem by signing a unique MOU with Babcock university some years back that would have seen Accounting undergraduates of the school spend five years for their studies and qualify as chartered Accountants upon graduation based on certain conditions. The university was then expected to admit ICAN members without first degree to a year course or so for an abridge B.Sc program. With the B.Sc, members can then proceed to start either MBA or M.sc.

However, majority of ICAN members opposed the MOU because it gave a very unfair advantage to Babcock Accounting undergraduates. The university also wanted to charge ICAN members about N1million or so for the abridged B.sc program and members felt the fee was exploitative. As a result, the MOU was rejected at AGM. I guess one of the reasons ICAN is planning to establish a university is to address this particular problem.
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jul 30, 2019
seunmsg:

It is not as easy and straightforward as you suggested. MSc and MBA are academic programs that are regulated by NUC. Most ICAN members that need this shorter route to MBA or M.Sc are HND holders or OND and secondary school holders who started writing ICAN exams from ATSWA stage. The problem is, NUC always argue that ICAN is a professional qualification that cannot be substituted for academic qualification which is a basic requirement for any masters degree program in Nigeria. As a result, they always frustrate every effort to admit ICAN certificate holders directly to MBA or MSc programs.

ICAN attempted to solve this problem by signing a unique MOU with Babcock university some years back that would have seen Accounting undergraduates of the school spend five years for their studies and qualify as chartered Accountants upon graduation based on certain conditions. The university was then expected to admit ICAN members without first degree to a year course or so for an abridge B.Sc program. With the B.Sc, members can then proceed to start either MBA or M.sc.

However, majority of ICAN members opposed the MOU because it gave a very unfair advantage to Babcock Accounting undergraduates. The university also wanted to charge ICAN members about N1million or so for the abridged B.sc program and members felt the fee was exploitative. As a result, the MOU was rejected at AGM. I guess one of the reasons ICAN is planning to establish a university is to address this particular problem.
Really! Hmmmm! But come to think of it, the proposed fee to be charged by Babcock is outrageous. I need clarification here, does an ATS holder gets a degree certificate?
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:26pm On Jul 30, 2019
asuustrike1:

Do you think forensic accounting should be introduced into their syllabus?. By the way did you read the last message I post drawing your attention to some changes?

I really don’t think forensic accounting should be part of ICAN syllabus. Gathering evidence that are presentable in court is not traditionally part and parcel of the business of an Accountant. And again, forensic is very wide. It is not something ICAN can just introduce in a particular paper and then claim qualified members are forensic accounting experts.

As a result, I think members who are interested in becoming forensic accounting experts should be further trained and specially certified by ICAN instead of including it as part of the syllabus and then certifying all ICAN members as forensic accounting experts.
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 30, 2019
seunmsg:

I really don’t think forensic accounting should be part of ICAN syllabus. Gathering evidence that are presentable in court is not traditionally part and parcel of the business of an Accountant. And again, forensic is very wide. It is not something ICAN can just introduce in a particular paper and then claim qualified members are forensic accounting experts.

As a result, I think members who are interested in becoming forensic accounting experts should be further trained and specially certified by ICAN instead of including it as part of the syllabus and then certifying all ICAN members as forensic accounting experts.
Wasn't why Institute of Forensic Accountants were set in the first place or what happened thereafter?
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:34pm On Jul 30, 2019
asuustrike1:

Really! Hmmmm! But come to think of it, the proposed fee to be charged by Babcock is outrageous. I need clarification here, does an ATS holder gets a degree certificate?

From ICAN, no. From Babcock if the MOU had sailed through, yes. Sadly, members rejected the MOU and it was rejected.

Again, ICAN packaged the initial MOU to reflect the arrangement between ACCA and Oxford brooks university. Oxford brooks automatically awards Bsc Accounting to ACCA students without first degree upon qualification. However, it did not work out.
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jul 30, 2019
seunmsg:

From ICAN, no. From Babcock if the MOU had sailed through, yes. Sadly, members rejected the MOU and it was rejected.

Again, ICAN packaged the initial MOU to reflect the arrangement between ACCA and Oxford brooks university. Oxford brooks automatically awards Bsc Accounting to ACCA students without first degree upon qualification. However, it did not work out.
I still don't understand why those members kicked against it when most of the courses taken at degree level are the same with foundation. Am sure they are also kicking against ICAN owning a university because many persons would opt in which might eventually reduce the applicants applying to study degree accounting in other conventional universities. I want to ask, the proposed university would look like law school I suppose ?right!
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:45pm On Jul 30, 2019
asuustrike1:

Wasn't why Institute of Forensic Accountants were set in the first place or what happened thereafter?

The institute of forensic auditors/professionals wanted to exclusively control all aspect of forensic and auditing. Auditing is part and parcel of the business of an Accountant so we cannot cede that part of our profession to any body.

Forensic is also very wide like I said earlier and it basically involves gathering evidences that are admissible in court. We have forensic in accounting, medicine, engineering, building technology, IT, etc. So you see, no single institute can realistically claim to have exclusive knowledge of forensic in all areas. The best bet is for each professional institute to further train their members who are interested in becoming forensic experts and then certify them accordingly. The idea of a single institute controlling all aspect of forensic will only lead to chaos.
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 30, 2019
seunmsg:

The institute of forensic auditors/professionals wanted to exclusively control all aspect of forensic and auditing. Auditing is part and parcel of the business of an Accountant so we cannot cede that part of our profession to any body.

Forensic is also very wide like I said earlier and it basically involves gathering evidences that are admissible in court. We have forensic in accounting, medicine, engineering, building technology, IT, etc. So you see, no single institute can realistically claim to have exclusive knowledge of forensic in all areas. The best bet is for each professional institute to further train their members who are interested in becoming forensic experts and then certify them accordingly. The idea of a single institute controlling all aspect of forensic will only lead to chaos.
I see. So why was CITN set up in the first place or is taxation not part of accounting?
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by seunmsg(m): 9:52pm On Jul 30, 2019
asuustrike1:

I still don't understand why those members kicked against it when most of the courses taken at degree level are the same with foundation. Am sure they are also kicking against ICAN owning a university because many persons would opt in which might eventually reduce the applicants applying to study degree accounting in other conventional universities. I want to ask, the proposed university would look like law school I suppose ?right!

Babcock is a private university that is attended mostly by children of the elites. In effect, the MOU would have given unfair advantage to children of the rich. Members opposed the unfair advantage.

No. The proposed university would be a normal specialized university just like universities of Agriculture, medical sciences etc.
Re: Babcock, Covenant Univeristy Accounting Graduates To Write Only 5 Papers In ICAN by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jul 30, 2019
seunmsg:

Babcock is a private university that is attended mostly by children of the elites. In effect, the MOU would have given unfair advantage to children of the rich. Members opposed the unfair advantage.

No. The proposed university would be a normal specialized university just like universities of Agriculture, medical sciences etc.
Hmmmm!.Thanks for the clarifications I really appreciate your response

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

17-year-old Ojo Jonathan Becomes Youngest Chartered Accountant In Nigeria / Jamb & Post Utme List Of Cut Off Marks For Various Nigerian Universities And Pol / UNILAG Renamed 'Moshood Abiola University'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.