Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,100 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Please Read This Embarassing Incident Which Later Turned To A Joyful One - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Please Read This Embarassing Incident Which Later Turned To A Joyful One (711 Views)

Doctors Remove Cup Stuck Inside A Woman For 4 Years From Sex Incident / Two Months After Fire Incident, Deaf Couple Yet To Get Medical Care / I Have Turned Into An Introvert Because Of My Scar. Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Read This Embarassing Incident Which Later Turned To A Joyful One by tungamaje: 5:00am On Jul 24, 2019
Fellow Nairalanders, I want to share an embarrassing incident which however turned to a joyful one at the end which took place in my home yesterday morning. At about 2 am, my wife was woken up by a phone call from a pregnant friend of hers who is also living in the same street. She was at the door. She went outside to meet her and after a discussion which lasted for over ten minutes, she returned to inform me that the woman was in labour and was returning from the hospital where she was sent away because she did not bring along the necessary items for her delivery. She didn’t come with even a pair of surgical gloves, therefore the nurses sent her away. My wife then advised her to return to her place and wait till day breaks. Around 3.30 am, she called again to inform us that the baby was about coming out so we should help her. No money with me, what assistance could we afford at that moment? We remembered there lives a nurse in the neighbourhood. Banged and banged on her gate, no response. I went to my next door neighbour to ask if he has the nurse’s phone number. He didn’t. Together we went again to bang and bang. The nurse eventually came out and after learning of the woman’s situation refused to help saying we should rather take her to the hospital because she herself wouldn't like to enter into trouble. Many neighbours also came out but deserted us as soon as they learnt the woman had no single item for her delivery.

What next should we do? But where was the husband? you may ask. The useless man left yesterday without dropping even a kobo knowing fully well that she would soon deliver. Why did I call him useless? He abandoned his family in Lagos to stay in Akure. When the woman and children eventually came to stay with him here in Akure, he worked a transfer to another city. The woman became stranded; she used my wife’s account number to beg her relatives for money to feed and pay the children’s school fees. When eventually the husband visited (and I think the woman in trying to woo him back) had fun with him, she took in. Since me and my wife are insiders, we decided not to abandon her.

We went to wake her landlady up (she was the only tenant living there), The old lady came out and fortunately, was a former traditional birth attendant. She told us to help the woman into our room which we did oblivious of the enormity of the trouble we shall enter into should anything bad happen. I believe that was the actual reason why everybody ran away. Trust the Nigeria police. Are you a birth attendant? Why didn’t you take her to the hospital where trained people would take care of her? So I won’t blame the other neighbours.

In such cases, I know men’s presence is not usually welcome, so I was outside, in that biting cold as I was wearing only a T-shirt. From the little Yoruba I understand (we are Igbos), she was yelling Oluwa, ramilowo, Oluwa ramilowo meaning God please help me. Outside, I joined her in a silent prayer to God to help us. After about 5 minutes, I heard a child’s cry. I thought it was my 3 months old baby who was crying. I saw a torch flash in my bedroom and it was my wife. I asked, ‘Where is our baby?’ She is sleeping on my back’ replied my wife. ‘Who then is crying? I asked. ‘Mama Emma has delivered’ was her reply ‘Merciful God, thank you so much’ I said. I later heard her saying ‘Jesu, eshe, Jesu, eshe (Jesus thank you) The placenta has also come out. Where is Goya oil to clean up the baby asked mama? None was available. We went to knock and see if we can wake up a provision store keeper, she was holding her early morning prayer. My wife asked the mama whether coconut oil could be used. She replied in the affirmative. Baby’s clothe? One of our baby’s clothes had become small, we made use of it. Finally mother and baby boy were fine. After some rest, they left. We used an antiseptic liquid to mop up our room truly happy that God handled the situation.
Now two questions arise from this incident
1. When we see someone genuinely in a problem, should we avoid helping because we ourselves may enter into trouble?
2. With the enormous wealth which our country is blessed with, should a pregnant woman die in child birth because she couldn’t afford the cost of delivering in the hospital?

The most beautiful part however is that a life was brought into the world albeit in a very embarrassing circumstance. But the joy is that when he came, not a single kobo was spent on his birth. Although his parents would eventually give him a name, to me I have decided to call him Chukwuebuka (God is so great)

2 Likes

Re: Please Read This Embarassing Incident Which Later Turned To A Joyful One by gsegun43: 5:22am On Jul 24, 2019
Thank God and a big thanks to you, you've done well.

To answer your questions.

1. No

2. Nigeria is not a wealthy country.
Re: Please Read This Embarassing Incident Which Later Turned To A Joyful One by tungamaje: 5:33am On Jul 24, 2019
gsegun43:
Thank God and a big thanks to you, you've done well.

To answer your questions.

1. No

2. Nigeria is not a wealthy country.

But Nigeria is not a poor country either. Mismanagement is the only problem
Re: Please Read This Embarassing Incident Which Later Turned To A Joyful One by gsegun43: 6:04am On Jul 24, 2019
tungamaje:

But Nigeria is not a poor country either. Mismanagement is the only problem

lol, yes mismanagement is one of our problems, but not our only problem.

And i repeat we are not just a poor country, but an extremely poor one. In fact one of the reasons we remain poor is that we dont know we are poor.
Re: Please Read This Embarassing Incident Which Later Turned To A Joyful One by chiommy123(f): 6:41am On Jul 24, 2019
God bless you and your family and others that assisted her and I think her husband should be arrested for neglecting his duty

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Milk And Honey Gold / The Benefits And Side Effects Of Houttuynia Cordata Tea On Prostatitis / Virus Alert: Coronavirus In China Gradually Spreading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.