Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,741 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA (3071 Views)

What Is The Meaning Of 'ruga'? / Ruga Settlements For Herdsmen: Shehu Sani Reacts To FG's Plan / Ruga Settlements For Herdsmen: South-East Governors, Ortom, Ishaku, Reject It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Gboliwe: 4:00pm On Jul 25, 2019
There was this bill the president sent to the senate. it was called, 'A Bill for An Act to Establish a Regulatory Framework for the Water Resources Sector in Nigeria, Provide for the Equitable and Sustainable Redevelopment, Management, Use and Conservation of Nigeria’s Surface Water and Groundwater Resources and for Other Related Matters'.

The bill, if passed, will put the control of water resources in the hands of the federal government and not the state. This water resources include river banks and water beds. The intention of this bill will not be readily clear to a careless reader. The definition of banks on Wikipedia states that the word bank generally refers to the land alongside a body of water. This land alongside the body of waters has vegetation around it more often than not. The state governments are allowed to make laws for the management and control of water but they can only do so within the confines of the federal government law.

Most southern senators opposed that bill but Northern senators, especially Senator Lawan (the current senate president) was strongly in support of that bill. Senator Godswill Akpabio opposed the bill and insisted that the bill, if it becomes law will deprive villagers of their small waters.

Let me put it simply. That bill is RUGA despite the fact that it failed to mention grass for obvious reasons. This waterways bill is an ingenious idea for annexation of lands from riverine areas and gifting of such lands to cattle.

I read some people saying the president now has the people he wanted yet he is not succeeding. That commentary is borne out of ignorance because you think he wants to succeed by building industries. He will succeed when he succeeds in grabbing those water ways with federal law which cannot be challenged by the state governors and handing over these lands to herders. Take note that this is the first bill that ever came from the president after 2015. The same person who have refused to sign the PIGB into law.

I became interested in that bill because I come from a riverine area. We fish in our small waters. I am always amused when I see people salivate over fresh fish. Fresh fish that we use to shoot catapult in the village during 'iji'. In fact, there is a river in my village with lots of fresh fish but we are not allowed to touch the fish. They said it belongs to 'alusi' (oracle). My father who claimed to be a Christian once asked me to return a fish I brought home with a gallon of my water. He cannot even act like Elijah and support me to eat the fish. Imagine if Buhari takes over that water, herdsmen will be helping themselves over a bowl of pepper soup every evening. Creatures we have preserved for centuries!

I was glad when the house under senator Busola Saraki rejected the bill. My thinking is that bill will likely be re introduced now that Lawan his loyalist is the senate president.

Culled from Facebook

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by doyinbaby(f): 4:07pm On Jul 25, 2019
Gboliwe:
There was this bill the president sent to the senate. it was called, 'A Bill for An Act to Establish a Regulatory Framework for the Water Resources Sector in Nigeria, Provide for the Equitable and Sustainable Redevelopment, Management, Use and Conservation of Nigeria’s Surface Water and Groundwater Resources and for Other Related Matters'.

The bill, if passed, will put the control of water resources in the hands of the federal government and not the state. This water resources include river banks and water beds. The intention of this bill will not be readily clear to a careless reader. The definition of banks on Wikipedia states that the word bank generally refers to the land alongside a body of water. This land alongside the body of waters has vegetation around it more often than not. The state governments are allowed to make laws for the management and control of water but they can only do so within the confines of the federal government law.

Most southern senators opposed that bill but Northern senators, especially Senator Lawan (the current senate president) was strongly in support of that bill. Senator Godswill Akpabio opposed the bill and insisted that the bill, if it becomes law will deprive villagers of their small waters.

Let me put it simply. That bill is RUGA despite the fact that it failed to mention grass for obvious reasons. This waterways bill is an ingenious idea for annexation of lands from riverine areas and gifting of such lands to cattle.

I read some people saying the president now has the people he wanted yet he is not succeeding. That commentary is borne out of ignorance because you think he wants to succeed by building industries. He will succeed when he succeeds in grabbing those water ways with federal law which cannot be challenged by the state governors and handing over these lands to herders. Take note that this is the first bill that ever came from the president after 2015. The same person who have refused to sign the PIGB into law.

I became interested in that bill because I come from a riverine area. We fish in our small waters. I am always amused when I see people salivate over fresh fish. Fresh fish that we use to shoot catapult in the village during 'iji'. In fact, there is a river in my village with lots of fresh fish but we are not allowed to touch the fish. They said it belongs to 'alusi' (oracle). My father who claimed to be a Christian once asked me to return a fish I brought home with a gallon of my water. He cannot even act like Elijah and support me to eat the fish. Imagine if Buhari takes over that water, herdsmen will be helping themselves over a bowl of pepper soup every evening. Creatures we have preserved for centuries!

I was glad when the house under senator Busola Saraki rejected the bill. My thinking is that bill will likely be re introduced now that Lawan his loyalist is the senate president.

Culled from Facebook
the bill will fail ....just like RUGA fail....in Jesus Name.....

12 Likes

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Mightyhaiz: 4:10pm On Jul 25, 2019
Senator goods will akpabio?

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by KidsNEXTdoor: 4:16pm On Jul 25, 2019
All we need is to enlighten our people...

We need to be awake and alert

We know what they want and where they are going

They have to be checkmated...

For those zombies and traitors of the south who chant sai barber at any given opportunity on the alter of religious sentiments...

We say sorry in advance... Happy Fulani vigilantes in your enclaves

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by solmusdesigns: 4:16pm On Jul 25, 2019
smiley
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by gunuvi(m): 4:27pm On Jul 25, 2019
Buhari is just interested in cows.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by nototribalist: 4:32pm On Jul 25, 2019
Dead on arrival, is as dead as fry dodo

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by CodeTemplar: 4:44pm On Jul 25, 2019

Take note that this is the first bill that ever came from the president after 2015. The same person who have refused to sign the PIGB into law.
How true is this?

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by chii8(f): 4:52pm On Jul 25, 2019
Person talk say,dem den use una pant do yahoo,com buy Benz.

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Gboliwe: 4:55pm On Jul 25, 2019
CodeTemplar:

How true is this?
You want to be spoon fed?
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by DEmejioba1: 9:29pm On Jul 25, 2019
Some people are just falling into oppostion antics with the intention of derailing the government of the day in their effort in sustaining developental project

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by shigoslim(m): 10:51pm On Jul 25, 2019
DEmejioba1:
Some people are just falling into oppostion antics with the intention of derailing the government of the day in their effort in sustaining developental project

Your mumu get ke leg. Why is that all Buhari administration want to center on Ruga, land grappling, cow development. Since Buhari came to power he has never talk of human capital development. It clearly shows that he is a human in wolf .
All the killings, economic depression has never be his concerns.

3 Likes

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Blue3k(m): 11:44pm On Jul 25, 2019
The bill, if passed, will put the control of water resources in the hands of the federal government and not the state. This water resources include river banks and water beds. 

Buhari vetoed the last one if you guys dont know. This one will probably fail for similar reasons. The bill is unconstitutional and cant stand in court. Even so alert your representatives about your opposition to bill.

The President said he was rejecting the Nigeria Inland Waterways Authority Bill based on the issue of funding and overlap of functions.

According to him, “The comprehensive definition of the Nigeria Inland Waterways covers virtually all rivers, lakes and lagoons irrespective of the location of the body. The bill contradicts provisions of the constitution which limits the power of the National Assembly to make laws in relation to water from sources affecting more than one state of inland waterways which has been declared to be an international waterway or inter-state waterway.

Source

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Nemesis909: 12:33am On Jul 26, 2019
Stupid people.

What exactly in the bill is to be opposed and what was your opinion when the same president vetoed it the last time around?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Rekhina(f): 1:30am On Jul 26, 2019
Southwest accepts it ,
We want progress unlike d ibos
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by agabusta: 6:12am On Jul 26, 2019
Nemesis909:
Stupid people.

What exactly in the bill is to be opposed and what was your opinion when the same president vetoed it the last time around?

Thanks for this germane info.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by helinues: 6:53am On Jul 26, 2019
And all the senators and reps from your regions are so daft to accepts the bill?

This people are too dull just jare with their reasoning..

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by thinksense: 7:12am On Jul 26, 2019
this tribalism, self interest , propaganda and hatred for north is what is afecting u guys from d south. north is always a step a head of u. u ppl alway took chip propaganda serious

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by ChristianEast: 8:36am On Jul 26, 2019
Nemesis909:
Stupid people.

From what I knew, the bill was an Executive bill. So there is no way Buhari would have vetoed his own bill.

The 8th Assembly made a lot changes to that bill which Buhari wasn't comfortable with. You can't give up your water banks to the FG.

What would the FG do with all the water banks in the country? If Buhari is not pushing an agenda, what would the FG do with the bank of small streams in the villages?

Water banks are the most fertile in an area and usually surrounded by green vegetation.

Don't forget you will break your neck before you can find a small stream in the SW. All they have dry up immediately after the raining season while the tiniest stream in my village has been running since time immemorial.

Our streams are sacred, we are not giving it up for whatever reasons.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Nemesis909: 8:56am On Jul 26, 2019
ChristianEast:

From what I knew, the bill was an Executive bill. So there is no way Buhari would have vetoed his own bill.

The 8th Assembly made a lot changes to that bill which Buhari wasn't comfortable with. You can't give up your water banks to the FG.

What would the FG do with all the water banks in the country? If Buhari is not pushing an agenda, what would the FG do with the bank of small streams in the villages?

Don't forget you will break your neck before you can find a small stream in the SW. All they have dry up immediately after the raining season while the tiniest stream in my village has been running since time immemorial.

These guys sef.

Where is river blindness and Guinea worm most prevalent?
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by gaetano: 9:08am On Jul 26, 2019
Mightyhaiz:
Senator goods will akpabio?

During his time at the 8th senate. The water bill was proposed when saraki was still the senate president

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by gaetano: 9:14am On Jul 26, 2019
thinksense:
this tribalism, self interest , propaganda and hatred for north is what is afecting u guys from d south. north is always a step a head of u. u ppl alway took chip propaganda serious

Will you keep shut. The federal government has no business controlling waters located in villages. Let the state and local government handle that. Your parasitic nature in the north will always want to control and dominate other people's resources. Wetin concern aboki government with water wey dey for olobiri, membe, omanbala, amuwo odofin?

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by blackmantis: 9:29am On Jul 26, 2019
Not one bill for the industrialization of the nation..... all the main focus is on cows.

1 Like

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by doyinbaby(f): 9:53am On Jul 26, 2019
thinksense:
it is the north that is wickeddd ....why should FG control river beds so that they can terrorise abiii....you northerners have being dragging the national backwards...... please leave our rivers for us ....we don't want you people through FG to chase us out of the river bank in our domain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by doyinbaby(f): 9:56am On Jul 26, 2019
gaetano:

Will you keep shut. The federal government has no business controlling waters located in villages. Let the state and local government handle that. Your parasitic nature in the north will always want to control and dominate other people's resources. Wetin concern aboki government with water wey dey for olobiri, membe, omanbala, amuwo odofin?
don't mind them.... they are thieves...... The rivers must continue to be controlled by the people in the locality of the river not one nonsensee FG
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by chozzy: 9:58am On Jul 26, 2019
gunuvi:
Buhari is just interested in cows.

The worst president in
Nigeria's history
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 26, 2019
Wow what an eye opener.
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by ChristianEast: 10:24am On Jul 26, 2019
Nemesis909:

These guys sef.

Where is river blindness and Guinea worm most prevalent?

Ekiti has the largest number of professors, does that make them the most populous?

North have covenant with sicknesses. This explains why they have largest incidence of river blindness not because of rivers.

Anyway, I said streams.
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by 7thLemonLOVER(f): 5:17pm On Dec 02, 2019
Gboliwe:

Wow this is informative
Culled from Facebook
Re: Southerners Take Note: The Waterways Bill Is Another RUGA by orisa37: 6:47pm On Dec 02, 2019
Henceforth, all Interstates Bills in the NASS should not be entertained. All that are in process or those that have been made before should be repealed. Sooner or later, our 36 Constitutional States shall be restructured whether the Cabal likes it or not and the control of Policing Resourcing and Electioneering will be firmly in the hands of the State Governments. God will Himself raise Arms in Defense of NIGERIA. God is aware of the Monster at the Center and all his ways which are rugally mischievous will PERISH IJN AMEN!!!

(1) (Reply)

I Now Regret Voting APC And BUHARI, What Of You?? / ANIOMA Should Be Seeded To The South East As The Sixth South East State / Tonyebarcanista; Debunking The Propaganda For Southern Presidency.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.