Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,862 members, 7,806,439 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. (14307 Views)

SEPARATED By Tope Omotosho / LOVESTRUCK - A Campus Love Story. By Demsid / "No Pleasure For Dead Girls" A Story By Mancrimes.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 2:20pm On Jul 29, 2019
CHAPTER FIVE

4th of December, 2015

So I cut my hair. My dad nearly killed me when he found out. He said I'm still under his roof and so I shouldn't believe I own myself. I thought Jesus owned me, but I guess I was wrong. #justkidding. But I get what he means. I’m still under his authority and as long as I’m in his house, he’s my head. Pastor George explained this at a service. So I apologized.
I like my new look. It makes me feel like I’m 21 and not 24. My mum - and partner in crime - agrees. In her own words, I look gorgeous. That’s why I love her so much!
In other news, someone in my church asked me to attend his cousin’s wedding with him. It’s a funny first date (should I call it a date?) but I'm cool with it. I feel a nudge to do so, so I’ll go with him. I'm hoping to drag Peju along.
I’ll keep you updated on things.

"Who are you?" Eliana asked the tall, good looking man who dropped Peju off at her place. Nice build. Nice smile. Nice designer sunglasses too.
"Eliana!"
The fine man laughed. "Hi Eliana. Peju has told me a lot about you. It's nice to finally meet you in person."
Eliana raised a brow, looked at Peju and back at him. "Well, I'm sorry but I've heard nothing about you."
"I'm sure you have,” he said, his gaze fixed on Peju. Eliana didn't miss that gaze. It was piercing, intense, love drunk. "You just didn’t connect it with me." He turned to her and extended his hand. "Abdul Layeni."
Eliana shook the hand reluctantly. Why had Peju not told her about this gorgeous creature of a man? "Eliana Awojobi. It’s a pleasure." She crossed her arms against her chest. "So how did you guys meet exactly?"
"Back in school. I'm her boy--"
"Boss! He's my boss," Peju cut in. Eliana and Abdul turned to her, puzzled.
"Yes," he agreed and forced a smile, "I'm her boss."
"Oh. Why is your boss dropping you at my house?"
Peju cupped her elbow. "Eliana you're asking too many questions. He just did me a favour. Please, Sir, you can go. Don't mind my friend. Thank you very much for the lift."
Peju dragged Eliana into the house, not waiting to see Abdul enter his car and drive off.
"You’re rude sha," Eliana said as they walked towards the house. "How can you just leave him like that?"
"He will survive. And you, don't be asking questions like that. It's wrong."
"Wrong how? I was concerned. It's not everyday you see a boss go out of his way to drop your friend at your house. A very fine boss. How do you manage, staring at him everyday?"
"Simple. I don't stare." They entered the living room and met Eliana's parents. Peju greeted them and they exchanged small talk before dismissing them. They needed to get ready for the wedding.
"You're such a killjoy," Eliana continued once they were in her bedroom. "What happened to the fun Peju I knew? You barely have time for me since you started that your new job. You hardly come to church. Even Bible Study sef, you don’t come."
"You are nagging.”
“And you are evading. Why do I feel like you're holding something back from me?" Eliana asked as she wore her earrings. Timilehin had sent a text that he was on his way and she didn't want to keep him waiting.
"It’s all in your mind. Anyways, Femi called me back."
Eliana gave a girlish squeal. "That's awesome! So when is the next date?"
"Wait first and let me finish." She took a deep breath. "I told him I'm not interested in him.”
Eliana's eyes widened and looked at her friend like she had lost her mind. "Why? Why would you do something like that? The guy is crazy about you."
Femi was a really nice guy. A God-fearing man. He was caring to a fault and very considerate. She couldn’t understand why her friend wasn't interested in him at all.
"But the thing is I'm not crazy about him. I can’t see myself marrying him."
"And I was rooting for you guys o. I was already dreaming of my beautiful dress as your maid-of-honour. Bright yellow, take note. I was also thinking of powder blue and yellow for the wedding reception."
"Blue and yellow ke?" Peju smacked her lips together after applying a red lipstick. She was standing in front of a dresser mirror, "Better remove such thoughts from your head.“
"I’ll try." She sighed. "Question. Did you pray about ending things?"
Peju laughed. "Madam, must I pray about everything? Hasn't God given us sense to know who to marry?"
Eliana stared at her friend as she applied a blue eye-shadow and mascara. There was something going on in her friend's life. She could feel it. Why is she defensive? "Well, since you surrendered your life to Him, and asked Him to take control, it only makes sense that you allow Him lead you in that aspect of your life. If you feel you can give Him other aspects of your life and not your choice of a husband, when trouble comes, then eventually you have to give it to Him.”
“I’ve heard, Madam Pastor.”

3 Likes

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 6:23pm On Jul 29, 2019
Please would love if you could say something to show you're following smiley It kind of feels like I'm alone here. Seeing over 700 views and very little comments.

Plus if you're enjoying it please don't keep the story to yourself. smiley Share and invite friends grin
Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 6:24pm On Jul 29, 2019

"You did what?!"
Oba held back his phone from his ear as thick Yoruba insults blasted through. It was his mother. Timilehin walked into the room at that moment with a bottle of Coke in one hand and locally baked Agege bread in the other. Oba cringed as he watched Timilehin pour the coke into the bread. Years of watching him do so still didn’t make it easy to bear.
"Mummy, calm down nau." He could hear his father in the background trying to placate her as well.
"Kin fara bale? Your son wants to marry that Igbo girl and you are telling me to relax? You aren't bothered?"
Oba heard his father say something but didn't quite get it. He put two and two together when his mother replied, "Even if she's a human being, some human beings in this world are wicked! Olorun maję! God forbid! Obatotosinloluwa Afolayan, se o n gbo mi, if you bring that woman to my house I will send you two packing. I refuse to accept her as my daughter. That manner-less ingrate. I have told you now." A painful silence followed before she ended the call.
He closed his eyes in surrender. He was tired and yet, it was still morning.
"So wetin Mumsi talk?"
In response to his question, Oba shook a tired finger at Timilehin. His cousin could barely contain his laughter.
"My dad is cool with it. Mum, on the other hand, says Nene isn't good for me. That she lacks manners. I don't know where she gets all these ideas from. The girl gave her ankara wrappers just the other day."

Why did his mother have to make everything so difficult? Nene had already shared the news with her family, and the world on Instagram. What if his mother followed through with her threats and didn't accept her as his wife? What would he do?
"Timi, Nene is perfect for me! She's beautiful. Gorgeous. Great in -" He was going to say bed but thought better of it and said, "The kitchen."
"Are you sure? The efo your Madam cooked made me purge for three days straight." He bit into his almost finished Bread-Coction.
"That was her second time of cooking it o. Next time will be better."
"Which next time? Abi she wan make I die from food poisoning?"
Oba would have laughed at Timilehin’s joke. But not today. Everything was falling apart. "She's an okay person. It doesn't get better than that."
"Guy, are you high? Since when do people marry wife because she's an okay person.”
Oba snorted.
“If you want to follow God, follow Him hundred percent. Not all this one leg in, one leg out behaviour abeg. You’re there collecting nyash anyhow." Timilehin stopped and turned to the wall clock. "Time don go. Are you still game for the wedding today?"
"Yeah."
Timilehin rose from his seat. "Okay, let me quickly change. I invited one babe for church. Abeg, we go pick her and her friend before we reach the wedding."
Oba nodded absent-mindedly. Today can’t get any worse than this.

3 Likes

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 8:41pm On Jul 29, 2019

Eliana loved the décor of the hall. It was obvious a lot of money had been spent. Peach and coral. Each table had a tall vase of white flowers, with exquisite white and silver dish-wares.
Everything was breathtakingly beautiful.
She couldn’t wait to start her interior design business. As God would have it, two people had called her in the last two weeks to offer her gigs. They were small projects, but still opportunities to show what she could do.
Her daydreaming was cut short by a nudge on her side. She turned to Peju who leaned close and extended her phone to her. "This is Titi. We were friends in secondary school." An ebony beauty smiled back at her in the picture, with serious cleavage on display. She also had a black belly-button stud, revealed by her crop top.
"She's a fine girl. Do you guys still talk?"
"No. Haven't heard from her in ages and I don't intend on connecting. People change a lot after school. And besides, I didn't really have true friends back then." Peju adjusted herself on her seat.
Eliana placed her hand on her chest. "Like me abi?"
"What would you lovely ladies like to drink?" Timilehin asked, interrupting their teasing.
"Juice please." Eliana answered for the both of them.
“And food? Have you guys had a look at the menu?”
This time Peju spoke, sharing their meals of choice. After Timilehin left their table, his cousin in tow, she continued to scroll through her Instagram time-line on her phone. Eliana, on the other hand, curiously watched the two men leave. Timilehin, she knew from church, but it was her first time meeting his cousin, Oba. He seemed nice but had kept to himself during the drive to the reception. He is probably really shy, she concluded. She blushed at the memory of their eyes making contact in the car, and her having to look away. It was necessary, before she left the wrong impression that she was checking him out. His cousin asked her out, after all.
At the wedding, she continued to watch them in silence. Timilehin was busy trying to cajole Oba into carrying a baby. Timilehin was a fun guy, fine too. How exactly he felt, only time would tell.
Ten minutes later, both men returned with servers carrying their orders. A lady followed. She was dressed in a black, halter neck dress that stopped abruptly at her thighs. Her complexion, an unnatural shade of yellow. She also had a handful of stares her way.
She greeted Timilehin who waved briefly.
"Babe," Oba said to her, before giving her a side hug. "Nene, these are Timilehin's church members. Eliana and Peju. Ladies, this is my fiancée, Nene Okafor."
Nene blinked. "Eliana? What kind of name is that?"
"Hebrew."
"Oh. Interesting” She said dryly. She turned her attention back to Oba, placing her hand on his shoulder. Eliana could have sworn it was a deliberate attempt to show off her dazzling engagement ring. Peju tapped her arm lightly and Eliana leaned close to hear her over what the MC was saying.
"Don't mind her. She's insecure."
Eliana laughed, but deep down she couldn't help but feel somewhat disappointed that he was in a relationship.

3 Likes

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by Ann2012(f): 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2019
So so interesting, well done OP

Don't focus on the lack of comments for now, gradually people will turn up to read this interesting piece of yours. Keep on with the good work wink

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by maran1983(f): 10:00pm On Jul 29, 2019
Great job, you kept me glued from the beginning to the end.
Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by hardeydun(f): 10:02pm On Jul 29, 2019
following...well done OP

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by izaray(f): 10:28pm On Jul 29, 2019
Nice job, just keep the update coming as e dey hot

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by ifegy: 11:35pm On Jul 29, 2019
Well done

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 10:01am On Jul 30, 2019

I don't mean for us to be anything more than friends. You're a great guy. You're fun to hang out with, but I would rather we stay friends.
Femi angrily dropped his pen on the opened file and cleaned the sides of his mouth. It was a week since he had seen Peju. They barely saw at church too. Was she avoiding him? Did she not want his friendship as well?
God, I thought she was the woman I would finally settle down with. Where did I go wrong?
No answer came to heart.
God, why are you being silent on this? I'm confused right now. Did I get it wrong?
I know the plans I think towards you.
Femi knew that to be true, yet there were times things hadn't gone the way it should and it made him wonder and doubt such plans.
Did God's plan include suffering? Quite frankly, he was tired of his share of heartbreaks.
"There's a lady who wants to see you." He almost jumped at the voice of the nurse he hadn't heard walk in.
"It's not a patient?"
"She is but she didn't request her file - only to see you." He could hear the curiosity in her voice. But he didn't give room for speculation.
"Send her in."
Within a minute his door opened once again and Femi looked up to see a woman smiling at him, dressed in an all black fashionable hijab. He was taken aback at her appearance.
"Miss Ali?"
She nodded. "Yes, Dr Alakija. I almost thought you wouldn't recognize me dressed like this." She spread her hand over her outfit. "I guess you can say I have changed."
"Please have your seat."
She did so and released her bag from her shoulder.
"So what can I do for you today?"
"I have come to take you for lunch." He raised a brow and she rushed on to say. "It's the least I can do after how much you helped me."
He shook his head and waved his hand at her. "You don't have to take me for lunch. I'm just doing my job."
She pursed her lips and Femi hoped he hadn't offended her. That was the least he wanted to do. "Please let me. You may think it's unnecessary but it's just my way of saying thank you. God only knows what would have happened if I - ," She paused and took a deep breath and looked down at her fingers, "If you hadn't caught it immediately. Good things haven't always been happening to me and for this to happen. I believe God has maybe heard my prayers for a change." She laughed and looked at him. "I'm sure you would think this silly or stupid but that's just -" She shook her head. "Never mind. It was probably a bad idea."
She rose from her seat.
"I will go with you." That earned him a shocked, but happy look from her. He raised a finger. "But on one condition."
"What?"
"What's your name?" Of course he knew her full name since it was on her file but he asked just to break whatever nervousness she had going on.
She laughed. "Halimat. Halimat Ali."
They drove down to a fast-food restaurant not far from the hospital. It was after they had ordered their meals that Femi expressed his curiosity.
"You really just wanted to thank me?"
She smiled. "Are we still going on about that? You don't get this much, do you?"
He shrugged as he bit into his chicken burger and relished the blend of flavours. " Well, a cheque or a gift is usually more predictable, but lunch? That's interesting."
"I'm glad to be the first."
"Thank you very much for the kind gesture."
"You're welcome."
Not wanting to stop the flow of conversation, he asked her to tell him more about herself.
Halimat cleared her throat. "Well, as you know I'm Halimat by name. I work as a chartered accountant in an auditing firm.” She mentioned the name of the company; it was a highly prestigious one Femi knew of. “I schooled abroad for five years plus work experience and came back to do my National Youth Service in Bauchi. I came back to Lagos and started working here when I was done. That's pretty much it."
"Are you happy?" Femi had no idea why he asked that.
"Wow."
"You don't have to answer. I'm sorry I asked."
"No, it's fine. I want to." She smiled a little, then looked down at her full plate. "No. No, I'm not." She raised her head and looked back at him. "I've made a lot of mistakes in my life I wish I could change. But like ink, it's hard to wipe away. I've always been the good girl seeking for bad. Like a part of me feels life is too short to play nice. I need to have fun and live a little. My mother is sick and tired of my drama."
"Are you an only child?"
She shook her head. "No. I have two older sisters. They are the best…. I take it you're a Christian?"
Femi nodded.
"You’re different from the ones I know."
"How so?"
"You seem joyful. At peace. And you are always this way every time we see. I think that's what drew me to you."
Okay?
The two talked for the next half hour about their lives and interests before parting ways. And while she was a nice distraction, Femi still couldn't get Peju Adams out of his head.

3 Likes

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 10:12am On Jul 30, 2019
Ann2012:
So so interesting, well done OP

Don't focus on the lack of comments for now, gradually people will turn up to read this interesting piece of yours. Keep on with the good work wink

Thank you. Please what's OP?
Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by izaray(f): 10:19am On Jul 30, 2019
Well done dear

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by ADUKKY(f): 10:56am On Jul 30, 2019
Ride on Op, the comments will come soon.

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by PrudySara(f): 11:26am On Jul 30, 2019
mercyymai DemiKOL cassbeat Lilly4endu Smith06 queenitee noni1 Damibiz greatlinda SkimpleD Eziokwugbaoto NaijaTushboy Emex100

Oya coman grab a seat

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jul 30, 2019
TopeOmotosho:

Original Poster

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by queenitee(f): 12:42pm On Jul 30, 2019
PrudySara:
mercyymai DemiKOL cassbeat Lilly4endu Smith06 queenitee noni1 Damibiz greatlinda SkimpleD Eziokwugbaoto NaijaTushboy Emex100

Oya coman grab a seat
here now, thank you smiley

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by queenitee(f): 1:21pm On Jul 30, 2019
I want more

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 3:01pm On Jul 30, 2019
CHAPTER SIX

Peju was a nervous wreck. Her heart kept beating wildly, her palms a sweaty mess. She also kept rubbing her arms even in her mother’s warm home.
I love you, you love me. We aren't testing waters. We are going to get married so why can't we be together? Abdul’s statement kept replaying in her mind over and over again. And the idea was scarily becoming more appealing.
Last night, she saw herself in Abdul's arms. She was naked, happy and melting because of his kisses. Sadly, it was all a dream, but she didn't want it to be a dream. She wanted it to be her reality.
A part of her was jealous and angry at the thought of him being with another woman. But what right did she have to feel this way? He was no way obligated to her when they had broken up, or to the romance they had once shared.
She hadn't been in any serious relationship with anyone and had focused on her work, God and her mother. There had been little time for romance and to be honest, she wasn’t interested in the men who approached her. It seemed God had saved her for this moment by bringing Abdul back into her life and wanted them together. If not, why would they happen to meet again? Why would she still have love in her heart for him after all these years?
Yes, their relationship was far from perfect. They quarrelled from time to time. Their last fight caused a tiny rift between them. Peju had to settle quickly but in the end, it had left her afraid.
"What are you thinking about?" Peju spun around from the window to see her mother carrying a plate of food towards her small dining table.
"Mummy, I asked if you needed help and now you have cooked the food." Hopefully, that will change the topic.
"You have forgotten this is my job. If I needed your help I would have asked for it." She placed the steaming plate of jollof-rice on the table and wiped her hands on a napkin. "How is your boyfriend? I thought you would come with him."
"He had to make a few stops on the way. He will be here soon.” She took a slice of plantain, put it in her mouth and sat on a chair. “He's also hosting a few people from work later in the evening."
"Hmmm.” Her mother sat adjacent to her. “Love looks good on you. See how you’re shining.”
Peju laughed. “That’s true. Before I forget, I saw a photo of Titi, my friend from school. She was practically half-naked.”
Her mother’s eyes widened. “Really?”
Peju nodded.
“What about that your other friend?”
“Antonia? I don’t know. I haven’t heard from her.”
“E ya. And you three were so close. It’s sad how things end.” With concern in her eyes, she continued, “You and Abdul should do quick and marry. Don’t waste any time before your relationship ends again and another woman snatches him.”
“He didn’t get married when I wasn’t with him. Why is it now he’s here that he would marry someone else?”
Her mother clapped her hands together and hissed. “You talk like a novice.” She pulled her right ear. “My dear, this is Nigeria. One woman can do juju for him and take him from you. Sit down there and be saying he won’t marry someone else. Act fast!” She snapped her fingers. “Get pregnant if possible. You said he’s rich now. Ehen, which woman doesn’t like good thing?”
Peju was trying hard not to laugh at her mother’s advice. Neither was she going to let it get to her. She trusted Abdul, and nothing could compete with what he felt for her.
She recalled having to apologise for introducing him to Eliana as her boss, and not her boyfriend. He felt she was playing games; she didn’t see their love as the real deal. But she did, more than he would possibly know.
"It's not like that Abdul. Honestly. I just don't want her to know about us yet."
He immediately frowned. "Why? It makes no sense to me."
"I panicked. She has been trying to hook me up with a guy from church and I told her I'm not interested."
As if understanding suddenly dawned on him, he blinked. "You didn't want to tell her because I'm a Muslim?"
"Abdul don't -"
"No, it's the truth. You are afraid of what people would think." He shook his head, baffled. "Since when did you become this woman, Peju? Someone that’s afraid of what people think?"
"I'm not afraid!" she snapped, annoyed that he was getting to the core of her worries. "I just don't want her wahala. That's all. It doesn't stop me from loving you or wanting to marry you. If you asked me right now I would say yes."
He raised his brow. His gaze questioning. "Are you sure?"
She nodded despite the gnawing feeling in her chest. She loved him. She really loved him. "Yes."
He stared at her for what seemed like several minutes and came close to her, enveloping her in his arms. "I believe you. But I won't ask you to marry me yet. Not now."
She was scared at that moment. Not because he wouldn't believe her or ask her hand in marriage, but because of the relief that had flowed through when he said he would ask her later. It wasn’t that she didn’t love him. No, far from it. Marriage was just very important to her, and to her, a wrong decision could mean spending the rest of her life with regrets. Peju didn’t want hers to have the kind of ending her mother’s had. It made her busy with activities just to fill up the loneliness in her life. But things with Abdul will be different because he loves me.
Satisfied with that thought, she spoke with her mum about other matters; making sure to steer clear from talk of Abdul and herself. Peju was halfway done with her food when he arrived, looking good in his wine native attire. He also came bearing gifts.
"Ah, thank you, my son,” her mother said. “If I had known you were bringing me a present, I would have prepared yours."
"Haba Mummy. It's not a problem." He took his seat beside Peju, gave her a side hug and squeezed her shoulder gently.
"It’s what courtesy demands. I will send Peju to you," she said, leaving no room for arguments. "Meanwhile, I was just telling Peju how good she looks when she's in love. I'm glad you two still love each other after many years apart."
“Your daughter is an amazing woman and I’m fortunate to be with her.” Abdul rubbed Peju’s shoulders once more before taking her spoon and eating out of her food.
"You can finish it," Peju told him, as she watched him take spoon after spoon.
"No o! So you can cheat me of Mum's delicious cooking abi? Please bring my own for me. I'm very hungry."
Her mother laughed. "Don’t worry, Peju. Eat your food. I will get his."
As soon as her mother was out of ear-shot, Peju questioned Abdul on his so-called hunger. "I thought you had food where you’re coming from."
He took another spoonful, chewed and swallowed before answering, "I didn't eat there since I knew I was coming over. It won't be nice not to eat your mother's food nau. And besides, I have missed her cooking. I remember when you would bring her Amala and gbegiri for me in school.”
Peju laughed. Her mother was so wrong. Abdul was crazy about her. Nothing and no one was going to take his love from her. She was willing to fight for him.
There was a soft whisper against her heart, and suddenly, she felt cold.
Even with Me?

Hi guys! Thanks for your comments grin. Sharing the story here is gradually coming to an end. sad

You Can get the full book on Okadabooks:
[url]https://okadabooks.com/book/about/once_upon_a_first_love/19766
[/url]

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by bossy512(f): 3:41pm On Jul 30, 2019
Very interesting, thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by Ann2012(f): 4:02pm On Jul 30, 2019
TopeOmotosho:

Original Poster

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by izaray(f): 4:43pm On Jul 30, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by Emex100(m): 4:56pm On Jul 30, 2019
PrudySara:

Oya coman grab a seat

thanks dear. looks like you are the only one that loves me here

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by Nuel45(m): 5:50pm On Jul 30, 2019
Thanks For The Update

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by AryEmber(f): 6:36pm On Jul 30, 2019
Wonderful story Tope, been a while since I enjoyed a story like this, thank you for sharing. Keep it coming! BTW, I don't know if you made a mistake or you didn't actually know but when Abdul's mother greeted him with 'as salam alaykum', his reply should be,'wa alaykum salam'. Waiting patiently for next update.

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 9:05pm On Jul 30, 2019
AryEmber:
Wonderful story Tope, been a while since I enjoyed a story like this, thank you for sharing. Keep it coming! BTW, I don't know if you made a mistake or you didn't actually know but when Abdul's mother greeted him with 'as salam alaykum', his reply should be,'wa alaykum salam'. Waiting patiently for next update.

Oh wow. Thanks for letting me know.
Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 9:09pm On Jul 30, 2019

Femi kissed both sides of her face. She looked up at him and lovingly patted him on his. "Merry Christmas to you too, dear. You're too charming. Why no woman has snagged you still baffles me."
"Abi o! I wonder too." Osaz said, but he was all smiles. "Maybe it's the gray in your beard that's causing them to run."
Femi ignored him and gave a reply to Osaz’s mother. "Mummy, God's timing is the best. How are you feeling now?"
"Much better. Thank you my son."
At that moment, Oluchi, Osaz’s wife, came out and crossed the room to hug Femi. For someone who gave birth to twins almost three months ago, she looked good. Some of his patients still carried their baby weight for months, blaming it on stress and not enough help amongst other excuses.
"Don't mind Osaz. Me, I'm on your side." Oluchi looked at her husband. "You don't know you can't just propose to any woman? When you found me, was it not God that led you? Or you think it was by your good looks that I married you?"
Osaz snorted. "Woman, leave that matter. Didn’t you just admit I have good looks? At the end of the day, shebi you're in my house."
Femi laughed and shook his head at the both of them. They were like this whenever he was with them, like Tom and Jerry in live action.
"Where are the kids? I brought gifts for them." He raised the pink paper bags up for her to see.
"Awww, thanks Femi. They are sleeping."
"Have you gotten around to decorating their room yet?" He dropped the bags on their centre table and sat down on a couch. Osaz had mentioned trying to get the room ready but was too busy.
Oluchi brought over a tray with a glass and soft drinks. "Not yet. I have been trying to understand my schedule so I can get it done myself. Why? Do you have someone in mind?"
Femi thought of Eliana. She had mentioned running courses in Interior Design and he happened to see the beautiful designs she had made in the children's church. He knew she would be thrilled to land the job.
”Yes. She goes to my church and she's really good."
"And affordable?" Osaz asked.
"Yes, that too.” He pulled out his phone from his jacket. “Osaz, I will send her number to you, so you two can talk."
Oluchi thanked him and left the living room to attend to matters in the kitchen. Osaz's mum, on the other hand, dashed off to check on the babies.
"Thanks for giving me time off,” Osaz said. “Oluchi really appreciated me being around to take care of my mother and help out with the twins."
"Why don't you get a nanny?"
Osaz snorted. "I don't trust nannies. That's one thing my wife and I don't see eye to eye on. But enough about me. How's your babe? Has she finally agreed for you?"
Femi didn't want to talk about Peju. She was still on his mind and quite frankly, he was tired. He had handed everything over to God and was going to keep doing what he had to do. If she was happy with her new man, then fine, it was okay by him. He wasn’t going to force himself, or keep feeling jealous.
"Can we not talk about this?"
Osaz raised a brow. "I'm guessing things didn't go as planned. It's fine. You know I’m here for you. What's the latest with you, besides that?"
Femi thought of Halimat Ali, his new-found friend who seemed as troubled as the sea on a rainy day. There were things about her he was yet to figure out. In little ways, she reminded him of Peju; having a tough exterior with a soft centre. She loved laughing and was caring when she wanted to be. He didn't know why Halimat came his way and opened up to him, but one thing he knew was God had His hand in it. The best he could do was keep her in his prayers and be a friend.
"Nothing much. Work, rest and church. That's pretty much the summary of my life at the moment." He wasn’t ready to tell Osaz about her.
"It's all good. As long as you're fine.” He paused. “I'm sorry if I've been pressuring you about marriage and kids lately. I just want you to be happy."
"Thanks for the concern. I’m happy, just not how you’d expect. A family doesn't determine my happiness. God does." He knew there were days he felt alone, but he was never lonely.
"Okay. I believe you." Osaz tapped Femi's thigh. "There's a movie you should watch. It's action packed and I trust you would love it."
"Not as much as he would love to see these young ones," Oluchi said, walking slowly towards him with a pink double-stroller. He got up and met her half way, squatting to see her daughters. "Hi lovelies. It’s Uncle Femi, your favourite god-father in the world."
"Since you're their favourite, just pay for their room then," Osaz chipped in.
"Osaz!"
"What? It's a suggestion."
Femi paid little attention to them. He gave his finger to one of the kids and she grabbed it. Holding on tightly. Lord, I won't mind a girl first. "Is it just me or they are getting more beautiful as the days go by?"
Oluchi laughed. "Don't ask me. I'm biased."
"God bless you Osasere and Osayemwenre." Femi said. Someday, he would have his own kids. He just knew it. And whoever God chose to make that reality with was fine by him.

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by Ann2012(f): 9:44pm On Jul 30, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by PrudySara(f): 11:11pm On Jul 30, 2019
you're welcome dear
Emex100:

thanks dear. looks like you are the only one that loves me here

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by PrudySara(f): 11:15pm On Jul 30, 2019
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 2:14pm On Jul 31, 2019

Oba’s mother stared at her son’s baby photo dreamily. It seemed like yesterday when he came into her world. He was a peaceful baby, and never gave her trouble. How she missed those days. Or am I being too hard on him? she wondered. No. Just like any good mother, she wanted what was best for her son. And his current girlfriend wasn't it.
Why was he so bent on choosing her? Why couldn't it be like old times when she could tell him what to do and her words were final? Even the girl she had chosen for him had been thrown back in her face.
Mrs Afolayan kept the photograph aside. She stood up from her bed and walked over to the dressing table, picking up the expensive gold earrings her husband gave her on her birthday.
It wasn't that Nene wasn't beautiful. She was. But beauty wasn’t as important. Could she take care of her son? Would she be a good mother to their children? Would she stand fast when the troubles of marriage came, and not run away? All those questions had the same answer in her mind. It was a simple “No”.
"You look beautiful dear."
She smiled, her heart leaping, as she stared back at her husband’s reflection in the mirror. He was handsome in his cream buba and sokoto. "Thank you."
"I don't think you should give that out, Helen." He said, hinting at one of the gifts she placed on the bed. She knew he was referring to what Nene had sent to her through Oba. She had already gift wrapped it for a family member. They were having a dinner party, hosting her husband's brother and sisters.
"But if I'm not going to use them, why should I keep them?"
He walked up to her and stopped behind her. "If it's because the girl is Igbo, then you better find a better excuse." He took the chain from her hands and wore it on her neck for her. "Perfect."
Helen smiled in appreciation. Her husband was ever thoughtful. She had complained when he gave her the gold set, asking where she would wear them to since they were both retired and rarely attended functions.
"Even if you have to wear it for me in the house, then do so. You're worth it."
"Don't you want your son to enjoy what we have? Don't you want him to be happy?" he asked, breaking into her thoughts.
"Nkan te so ko da. Of course I want him to be happy. But Kunle, that woman is not for him. She's not a proper Yoruba girl. No home training."
"Is Chioma a bad person?" he asked, referring to his younger brother's wife.
"No."
“Does she lack home-training?”
She shook her head.
Kunle caressed her arms while peering at her in the mirror. "Give her a chance. If she's not God's will, then let it be scattered. If it is, pray for grace to love her." He kissed the side of her head and told her to hurry up, that his brother was on his way. And just like that, he had settled the matter.
Oh Lord, do that which You will. Hurry and perform it. If she's not Your will for Oba, then don't let them marry. Please. . .

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by TopeOmotosho(f): 3:32pm On Jul 31, 2019

Eliana didn't want to complain, but her frown said it all. She wasn't happy that her father sent her out on Christmas Day to buy drinks. Her mother added chicken to the list. She was hosting a few people from church for Christmas lunch and she wasn't sure she had enough chicken for everyone.
As if that wasn’t enough, her brother was tagging along.
This isn't how I planned my day at all.
She held her shopping basket as she perused their wide section of chicken, hoping to pick a fat, juicy piece with plenty meat. The kind her mother would be pleased with.
"Big Sis, can you get a drink for me? I'm thirsty."
"Better wait till we get to the house. I'm not wasting my money on your sugar rush," she said while still looking. The shop was crowded and Eliana didn't want anyone to grab what she wanted.
"But I'm really thirsty!"
Eliana let out an exasperated breath. "Go and take water. And get some drinks as well. Make sure you come back quickly so we can leave this place." She knew the queue to pay would waste time. Within a few minutes, she was satisfied with her choice. She picked it up and dropped it in her basket. She craned her neck to the drinks section and saw her brother reaching into a fridge.
So what has he been doing since?
"Eliana?"
She looked around and her heart skipped a beat. Her throat clogged when she saw Timilehin’s cousin staring at her. She was pleasantly surprised to see him, and even more that he remembered her name.
"Hi Oba.” She gave a little wave. “Merry Christmas.”
“Merry Christmas.” He shifted left, letting a chubby woman through with her son. The woman glared at them before passing.
“The crowd here is just too much. Are you also doing Christmas shopping?" She gestured at his trolley, filled with all sorts of drinks and alcohol.
Does he drink? she thought to herself.
"Not exactly. There's a party a friend of mine is having and I'm helping out with the drinks. What about you?"
Eliana explained her predicament to him, ending it with a sigh.
He laughed. "Pele. It's one of those things. Family wouldn't be family if they didn't stress you out. Do you stay around?"
"Yes. Just down the road. You?"
"No. Are you guys done? Maybe I could give you guys a lift if you don’t mind waiting a bit for me." he said, looking apologetic.
Eliana quickly weighed her options, knowing her preferred choice from the get-go.
"Please wait. It's Christmas. Let me show the love of Christ."
She laughed and nodded.

1 Like

Re: Once Upon A First Love Story By Tope Omotosho. by izaray(f): 3:44pm On Jul 31, 2019
I'm loving this story like kilode

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Elected Into US Academy Of Arts And Science / I Wish I Never Met The Man / 10 Young Nigerian Poets You Should Be Reading In 2017.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.