Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:11 PM

The Nigerian House Of The Future - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Nigerian House Of The Future (2461 Views)

Tired Of The Typical Nigerian House Design? / Tired Of The Basic Nigerian House Design? / Great Nigerian House On Fire Live At LAGOS Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian House Of The Future by topup: 4:05am On Oct 15, 2010
Hello my fellow Nairalanders,

I know that many of you consistently update Nairaland with pictures and designs but are probably rarely ever seen beyond this board, I think they should be seen, and so I'm asking you to submit what you think the NIGERIAN HOUSE OF THE FUTURE should be/contain/look like either in a paragraph or a sketch.

There aren't really any rules however if possible please mention in a short paragraph the issues your house addresses, I just want to start a discussion about different ideas, and potentially show your (fully credited) work on the Nigerian Architecture blog.

What do you think?

Here is my entry:

The issues which my house will address include:

Space
Services
Maintenance
Tradition
Employment

(I will upload a sketch in due time),

The Nigerian house of the future is not hidden somewhere remote in the forest where there is space, but instead on the outskirts of the inner city, the house is serviced by both plastic absorbers which are installed on the roof to absorb the heat from sunlight which can be used to heat water that is released into the house's piping system using gravity.

Electricity is provided to the house by a district-by-district located basis, in which the district to which the house belongs to harvests solar radiation energy using a solar farm sufficient for the size of the district. As the size of the district increases, the size of the farm can also be increased. There is an initial cost which is very high, which will be supplemented by the government, but the renewable resource will pay for itself over time. Maintenance of these farms creates more jobs.

The design of the house will be true to the climate and hence true to the tradition. The tropical climate calls for materials which are high in their thermal mass values keeping the interior well insulated from the sun's heat, and radiating it out again into the night. The vernacular should be emphasised where possible, the re-introduction of the renewable grass roofing and patterned exteriors show a sense of identity, can be customized and renew local and traditional trade that has been neglected. Cooling of the house is done using small openings that allow little direct sunlight into the house will be utilized, and also courtyards will become a source of daylight without the cost of overheating the interior. Louvres and double roofing will feature in the design. If the topology is hilly, then preferably the house should be partially sunken into the hill.

The house is to initially start out as a bungalow which can then be built upon and extended to provide more accomodation. A collective communal effort is required in order to 'fuse' these houses together. Solitude is available within the individual houses, but a communal atmosphere runs throughout the spaces surrounding the houses.

Plenty of plants will be planted for natural shading around homes, areas where high activity during the day but low skill level of task can afford to have more shading my surrounding trees without conflicting with the need for plenty of light indoors e.g. living rooms, relaxation spaces.

(Sketches coming soon!!)
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by ochocinco1(m): 3:27am On Oct 16, 2010
I always thought the Nigerian House of the future should borrow a lot more from the past.

I am no architect, but I think it would be really cool to have a modern rendition of those muddy houses with the thatched roofs. They kept cool during the day and warm at night.

While that might not be practical, on some architectural show about buildings in Africa a while back, I saw the most remarkable building in Ghana. It was at once modern yet fit right into the spirit of the tropics. Shaded by a tropical tree, it was conventionally shaped (read: simple), and it gave the impression of space not the claustrophobia these Nigerian buildings induce. Like a large rectangle floating on a smaller square. Absolutely delightful

I wish I could get pictures. . .
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by topup: 4:34pm On Oct 16, 2010
ocho cinco:

I always thought the Nigerian House of the future should borrow a lot more from the past. 

I am no architect, but I think it would be really cool to have a modern rendition of those muddy houses with the thatched roofs. They kept cool during the day and warm at night.

While that might not be practical, on some architectural show about buildings in Africa a while back, I saw the most remarkable building in Ghana. It was at once modern yet fit right into the spirit of the tropics. Shaded by a tropical tree, it was conventionally shaped (read: simple), and it gave the impression of space not the claustrophobia these Nigerian buildings induce. Like a large rectangle floating on a smaller square. Absolutely delightful

I wish I could get pictures. . .

Hello there and thank you for your response, I too wish you could provide some pictures to help myself and others visualize the concept of this "Ghanian house" and maybe we can learn from it.

As for the description, I agree, I believe the future of 'African' architecture lies in understanding the balance (which is ever becoming difficult to achieve) between the venacular and the modern (with modern being usually western styles).

Lastly, I would like to say congratulations for being the first person to have their writings mentioned on the Nigerian Architecture blog.

I always say, you don't need to be an Architect to engage yourself with architecture, it is something that we all have to relate with and so should all have a say in.

If you do find the sketches feel free to post them below.
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by topup: 6:14pm On Oct 17, 2010
Any more entries?
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by ochocinco1(m): 12:32am On Oct 18, 2010
This is a great building, painfully restored only recently.

The style is very evocative of the colonial era.  Love it

Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by topup: 4:23am On Oct 18, 2010
ocho cinco:

This is a great building, painfully restored only recently.

The style is very evocative of the colonial era.  Love it

Nice!!

First, is that the Ghanian house you mentioned before, secondly, you can see how the train tracks come so close to the house, it definitely has a history, but who will tell its story?
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by ochocinco1(m): 7:09pm On Oct 20, 2010
This isn't the Ghanaian House I was referring to. Saw that on TV.

The tracks by this house are actually an imitation I believe. The house
was only recently restored, and is the old residence of the head
of the Nigerian Railway Corporation.
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by infolpf: 9:46pm On Oct 20, 2010
Nigerian house of the future? So many opportunities! I agree that we should borrow from the past.
A few basics:
1. Must include at least a 2 car garage, could be designed into the front of the house, side, back or off the front fence (like the French).
2. Must have a garden, preferably 2, front and back.
3. Smaller homes, more compact and highly functional. Less use of ground space. Setbacks people!
4. A whole house high pressure water pump. Every house has showers, but when was the last time you had a shower in a Nigerian upstairs bathroom? No more buckets!!
5. A central air conditioning system that is sustainable in Nigeria - split unit compressors almost seem to be part of design in Nigeria.
6. Perhaps #4 above will do away with those ugly water tanks built into roofs or hanging off the side of the house like an overstuffed molue bus!!
7. Generators sets that are optional, and truly standby.

I could go on, but I would give away some of our design trademark secrets. ;o)
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by topup: 10:41pm On Oct 21, 2010
Thanks for the post info@lpf

Will also be posting this on the blog.

Your suggestions are very very practical and they refer to the situation at hand, do you think in the future, let's say the next 50 years, this is the ideal direction for the "Nigerian House".

I agree about the "less use of ground space" this way maybe crowding in the inner cities can be reduced by maximising height and freeing up land for infrastructure.

Nonetheless, nice suggestions.
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by infolpf: 1:49am On Oct 23, 2010
^^^^ Yes, I do.
Transportation, storage, functional spaces, planned landscapes, water and air distribution and energy efficiency are relevant today, and will ALWAYS be an integral part of home design. Truth is, no matter how we try to reinvent the wheel, it is already a perfect design. We may tweak a few items, but look at designs from the 1950's and from the 1900's - same issues then, as we struggle with today. Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian home designs have the same elements as home design today, 100 years later. Some Frank Lloyd Wright designs from the early part of this century are still considered modern by today's standards!

The discussions around the home of the future will, IMHO, focus primarily around spatial, elemental and textural challenges.
Re: The Nigerian House Of The Future by topup: 3:50pm On Oct 23, 2010
Good point.

(1) (Reply)

A Complete Water Packaged Factory For Sale In Abuja / Plots Of Land With Survey Plan Available For Sale At Ikorodu / Now Letting - Executive 3 Bedroom Flats @ Beckley Estate, Abule Egba (with pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.