Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares (38793 Views)

GTB Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts / GTB Is Now Opening Unsolicited Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares / Please Help! Gtbank Is Trying To Charge Me For ATM Card Twice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Timoleon(m): 1:34pm On Aug 10, 2019
TheGiftedOne:
I thought it was just me alone. Wonders shall never end.

So they run am for you too?

"they run am ooo"
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Richiez(m): 1:35pm On Aug 10, 2019
shocked
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by overboard(m): 1:35pm On Aug 10, 2019
In a loosely related situation, I'm already prepping action against Kwikcash for accessing my phone records without permission, hacking!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Vulcanheph(m): 1:38pm On Aug 10, 2019
My own self is so bad that i not only got a Compulsory account from them they also send me birthday text messages.

6 Likes

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Mrchippychappy(m): 1:38pm On Aug 10, 2019
Seems they are "padding" their customer base so they can show potential foreign investors their huge market capital and customer base.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by katlord(m): 1:39pm On Aug 10, 2019
lalasticlala:
They opened for me too. I was surprised. I had to check via mobile app to see if my name will show when I type the account number. My name appeared.

Lolz......

Well as a former marketer in one of the leading commercial banks, I can confidently tell you that bankers especially marketers are the very set of staffs doing this and this is as a result of pressure to get so many account before the month ends. These marketers haven finished exploiting all possible ways to open the said number of accounts then resort to putting family and friends contact to cover up their lapses and sometimes create random phone numbers.

Meanwhile, this unsolicited account happens most times in banks where work pressure is so high to marketers eg Gtb, FCMB defunct diamond bank

Not their fault anyway... Any marketer reading this in nairaland can attest to this

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Psoul(m): 1:40pm On Aug 10, 2019
@tk4rd:

Please let me advice you.
Your complaint should not end here. You should write the bank manager and instruct him to close the account opened with ur details with immediate effect and show you confirmation that the account has bn closed. Meanwhile, tactically go the customer service desk of the bank and confirm that the account really existed on ur particulars before sending the mail to the bank. You can also copy CBN through this email cpd@cbn.gov.ng. This will make them to take ur case more seriously.

Let me tell you one of the dangers of such account. Apart from using it fraudulently by either the bank insider or any other criminal, there is another danger in that.

Know it that ATM issuance charge will be debited to the account.
Card Maintenance, SMS alert charges for even a birthday or any message they may send to u will be debited to this account.
Since you are not funding this account, your balance in the account will keep bn in negative.
The implication is that you are owing this bank.
Imagine hw much negative balance that may be accumulated in this unfunded account over a period of 3-5yrs and above.

The real danger is dis:
Assuming one day, you want to secure a loan or any financial service from, let's say your bank is Zenith bank. The bank will go back for a background check of you financial activities wt other banks. They will notice that you are owing GTBank some money.
They will come back to you to tell you that this loan will not be granted cos you are owing GTBank some money.
They will tell you to go and rectify with them and come back.
By then, you are going to pay for what you did not consume.

It is very important you order them to close this account. The same thing will also affect someone that has an account with a bank and decides to stop banking with them without closing the account officially.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by iLegendd(m): 1:44pm On Aug 10, 2019
Hmm. My dear GTB.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 10, 2019
They have your bvn details. Have u never borrowed money from an online lender like branch or pay later?
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by nasstil2(m): 1:45pm On Aug 10, 2019
It happens to me, I tried transferring to see the name, and it was my name
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by lawman88(m): 1:46pm On Aug 10, 2019
I'm suspecting ETISALAT and MTN. They can open account with your details on the sim registration. They are lawless!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by katlord(m): 1:46pm On Aug 10, 2019
tk4rd:
This is for real. And it had happened to many people already.

Lolz......

Well as a former marketer in one of the leading commercial banks, I can confidently tell you that bankers especially marketers are the very set of staffs doing this and this is as a result of pressure to get so many account before the month ends. These marketers haven finished exploiting all possible ways to open the said number of accounts then resort to putting family and friends contact to cover up their lapses and sometimes create random phone numbers.

Meanwhile, this unsolicited account happens most times in banks where work pressure is so high to marketers eg Gtb, FCMB defunct diamond bank

Not their fault anyway... Any marketer reading this in nairaland can attest to this

You can ignore the message as you have already mentioned you are not aware of opening such account cos reporting it to the bank especially via email might put the person who opened the account in serious trouble as banks take staff integrity issues very serious and u might be surprise u know the person cos only someone very close to u will have access to ur details

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by xperiencelove(m): 1:53pm On Aug 10, 2019
Just like how WEMA bank always send messages to me on my birthdays without having any account with them.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by lawman88(m): 1:54pm On Aug 10, 2019
overboard:
In a loosely related situation, I'm already prepping action against Kwikcash for accessing my phone records without permission, hacking!
grin grin grin go and pay their money back. I got a message from kwikcash one day instructing me to talk to my friend to pay back their money. They are using character assassination as means of getting refund. Very pathetic country!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by AntiBalaka: 1:58pm On Aug 10, 2019
Relax

All banks have access to the BVN database domiciled with the CBN.

Gone are the days you will be asked to provide passport photographs and valid ID.

Your BVN is your ID.

GTBank simply automatically opened accounts for you. It is not compulsory to follow through on it but since you funded the account you automatically agreed to their terms.

And FYI, BVN is not a private information, it is mandatory public information.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by materialproject: 2:00pm On Aug 10, 2019
I use GTBANK to collect money
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by oluwasegun007(m): 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2019
I can't see anywhere on the write up where you contacted their customer care for explanation...

1 Like

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by King44(m): 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2019
tk4rd:
The latest trick now coming from the GTBank is that they are opening GTB accounts for people unawares.
It happened to me, and I am not happy...
Take my case for instance, I didn't fill any GTB form whether at office or at home or anywhere, I have never dialled their *739# or whatever code which they shared on hand-fans to people, I didn't even collect the hand-fan immediately I noticed it belonged to GTB.
I have never been to any of the GTB branches for anything for more than three years now, not even to pay into another person's account, nor even to use their ATM., yet GTBank went ahead and created an account for me, and sent the account number to my phone, and requested that I supply my BVN to them.
I got alerted in my sixth-sense, that some scammers have remembered my phone number and wanted to scam me in the guise of GTB.. I laughed it off.
But on a second thought, I started wondering if the account number was scam, or whether it was actually real.
I decided to transfer money into it using my bank's mobile app, so as to see the name that will come out on it.
Lo and behold, it was my name there on the account.. And it means that GTB already has my name and some other information about me in their database, even when I have practically nothing to do with them.
That means, for real,, GTBank actually opened the account for me. But how did they get my name.?
I am really wondering how information about me got to them in the first place.
In fact, who are the people that breached their privacy policy and shared information about me, including my phone number to GTB?? How many other firms and groups and individuals (whether good or bad) had these same people shared information about me to apart from GTB?
My fellow Nairalanders, believe me, I feel so unsecured and electronically raped right now at this very moment.
As it is now,, Whichever firm is it that sold (or shared, or gifted) information about unsuspecting innocent citizens of this country to GTB (and to any other unknown firms yet), had committed a grave atrocity by going against the privacy of their clients/customers.
Funny enough, it wasn't only me they opened such accounts for. They did it to so many people, and a greater percentage of them had been ranting on their social media handles and timelines. Other people kept mute and ignored it altogether, thinking that it is nothing.
But to me, it is a big “Something”. I see something very huge and very very bad about it.
This just means that, very soon all the other banks and Insurance Firms and many other firms we know nothing about, both in Nigeria and beyond, would also get information about unsuspecting citizens from whichever sources that had decided not to protect the privacy of their trusted customers and clients, and then open unsolicited accounts in their names and forward the new account details to their phones, and start expecting them to come and be using the new accounts just like that.
That is not just Fair.
Something needs to be done about this, and it must be done quickly.
Facebook commited a similar breach of privacy policy, and the penalty on Facebook for such an offence was really huge..
https://www.nairaland.com/5320518/facebook-fined-5-billion-breaching
gtb that will just deduct #300 from ones account every month with a reasonable notification explaining what the money is meant for, they deducted from my account no alert I was surprised if it happens again na go hear from me
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by headmaster02: 2:01pm On Aug 10, 2019
Gentte men it is not only GTBank that does this, even other banks are also culpable, I receive two different bank account number from Access bank of recent, one on my Name and the other on another Name I dont even know about, me I just ignore all.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by eluquenson(m): 2:03pm On Aug 10, 2019
GTB in a serious mess
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by AntiBalaka: 2:03pm On Aug 10, 2019
tk4rd:
You can imagine.
They don't even know their already existing and established customers.

It's a bot

It sends the message to your phone number linked to your BVN

They have ready access to BVN database with CBN.

See my post above.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2019
Coming to NL to wail will do nothing rather admin would be glad to generate more traffic. Nevertheless, i dont work with/support Gtbank in this situation but its VERY bad to come and tarnish their name. I've started banking with them for over a year now and all i can say are praises most esp to their "customer service". I'm over 100% about to keep my fbn acct to take some fresh air when my atm expires in October for them. Pls if u have any issue with them; CONTACT THEM and dont spoil their name. Maybe it scammers or some bad eggs in d bank.
P.s no one should quote and spill rubbish if not i'll call my lawyer lets work on a case of infringement of freedom of speech abi na expression sefgrin

1 Like

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by xanie: 2:14pm On Aug 10, 2019
GTB should stop sending spam messages. My other phone line which isn't tied to my GTB account keeps receiving SMS from *737#
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by alexvatt(m): 2:25pm On Aug 10, 2019
Visit any of their branches for explanation.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by olajide8(m): 2:26pm On Aug 10, 2019
civilserva:
This is identity theft. Someone somewhere opened the account with your data to scam people or collect ransom deposit.

Straight up -
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by olajide8(m): 2:26pm On Aug 10, 2019
tk4rd:
The latest trick now coming from the GTBank is that they are opening GTB accounts for people unawares.
It happened to me, and I am not happy...
Take my case for instance, I didn't fill any GTB form whether at office or at home or anywhere, I have never dialled their *739# or whatever code which they shared on hand-fans to people, I didn't even collect the hand-fan immediately I noticed it belonged to GTB.
I have never been to any of the GTB branches for anything for more than three years now, not even to pay into another person's account, nor even to use their ATM., yet GTBank went ahead and created an account for me, and sent the account number to my phone, and requested that I supply my BVN to them.
I got alerted in my sixth-sense, that some scammers have remembered my phone number and wanted to scam me in the guise of GTB.. I laughed it off.
But on a second thought, I started wondering if the account number was scam, or whether it was actually real.
I decided to transfer money into it using my bank's mobile app, so as to see the name that will come out on it.
Lo and behold, it was my name there on the account.. And it means that GTB already has my name and some other information about me in their database, even when I have practically nothing to do with them.
That means, for real,, GTBank actually opened the account for me. But how did they get my name.?
I am really wondering how information about me got to them in the first place.
In fact, who are the people that breached their privacy policy and shared information about me, including my phone number to GTB?? How many other firms and groups and individuals (whether good or bad) had these same people shared information about me to apart from GTB?
My fellow Nairalanders, believe me, I feel so unsecured and electronically raped right now at this very moment.
As it is now,, Whichever firm is it that sold (or shared, or gifted) information about unsuspecting innocent citizens of this country to GTB (and to any other unknown firms yet), had committed a grave atrocity by going against the privacy of their clients/customers.
Funny enough, it wasn't only me they opened such accounts for. They did it to so many people, and a greater percentage of them had been ranting on their social media handles and timelines. Other people kept mute and ignored it altogether, thinking that it is nothing.
But to me, it is a big “Something”. I see something very huge and very very bad about it.
This just means that, very soon all the other banks and Insurance Firms and many other firms we know nothing about, both in Nigeria and beyond, would also get information about unsuspecting citizens from whichever sources that had decided not to protect the privacy of their trusted customers and clients, and then open unsolicited accounts in their names and forward the new account details to their phones, and start expecting them to come and be using the new accounts just like that.
That is not just Fair.
Something needs to be done about this, and it must be done quickly.
Facebook commited a similar breach of privacy policy, and the penalty on Facebook for such an offence was really huge..
https://www.nairaland.com/5320518/facebook-fined-5-billion-breaching

watch out for kidnapper's using it to launder proceeds of kidnapping
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Sanchez01: 2:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
civilserva:
This is identity theft. Someone somewhere opened the account with your data to scam people or collect ransom deposit.
More like a move by the bank marketers to meet their unrealistic targets.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by Bishop(m): 2:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
Those independent agent brandishing account opening form or a friend of yours doing that job could havery supplied youryour information probably to meet target.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by kaffyadeakeem(f): 2:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
Nigerians are not save even online

1 Like

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by emmanuelpopson(m): 2:28pm On Aug 10, 2019
what I observe is their marketing Staffs may have been opening this account due to the targets given to them to bring more customers or what they do may just be too extract a person's phone number either on Facebook Twitter or Instagram and they match the names with the account that's all. I think is a deliberate attempt to bring customers by Fire by Force by there marketers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by CaptainFM1: 2:31pm On Aug 10, 2019
I don't in anyway speak for GTB, but one thing I certainly know is that you have approached this case very badly.

1. To start with, you do not table your query to the bank for proper investigation. Much as the bank need to protect peoples data, modern information breaches could come from any angle. And in most cases, usually from people very close to us. Or perhaps, there's possibility that you could also have been careless with your own info and data, such that it got into the wrong hands.

2. Secondly, you made a VERY BIG mistake by doing a "test transfer" to an account you don't know simply because you want to investigate. It is not your job to conduct investigation. All you need to do is to table your concern to the bank and/or the Police. The bank has mechanisms for conducting internal investigation with a view to resolving such cases.

3. Whilst you may have a genuine concern, you should exercise care before raising issues on social media especially cases that requires thorough investigation. Posting such in the media could jeopardize the investigation, and also,could serve to the ultimate advantage of the culprit/scammers.

If an individual or cartel within the bank is at fault, they will be dealt with accordingly upon investigation. And if the bank is found to be corporately at fault, then the CBN would penalised them accordingly.
Re: GTBank Is Opening Unsolicited Bank Accounts For Unsuspecting Customers Unawares by privaldo: 2:33pm On Aug 10, 2019
tk4rd:
The message came in like this:
Dear Customer,
Your Acct No is
0481**3249.
Kindly visit any
branch to enrol
for BVN or link
your existing
BVN via ATMs or
dial *737*20#
Sender:
GTBank

I also got one like that, that's the screenshot below and I have never withdrawn or had any transaction with GTBank.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Metal Electrocutes Lady In Obi Cubana’s Club, Police Order Autopsy / Naira Fall: CBN Blames Nigerians Travelling To UK, US, Others For Schooling / How Can I Make Money With Liberty Reserve?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.