Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,047 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:47 PM

Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? (25215 Views)

Second-class Upper Is Overrated In Nigeria By Deji Yesufu / How Bad Is Second Class Lower Division In The Labour Market? / Deaf Prosphen Okiemute Dumi Makes Second Class Upper In Law University Of Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Mustos: 10:38am On Jul 27, 2019
Enoch07:
my dear 2.2 is ur portion, because there is no guarantee u won't F at least one more course again b4 u graduate. so on behalf of d 2.2 graduates in Nigeria I welcome u to our fold
my guy you bad.. Aswear e
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by bravesoul247(m): 10:45am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:
I finished year one with a cgpa of 2.50
They just released the results of two courses for 200L first semester and I had F, (3 credit load each) it is very painful because I read my books.

Anyway I want to ask if it's still possible to graduate with a good 2.1

I study physics by the way.
It's very possible to brother. Read and research like your live depends on it. You could even use cheaper data plan like Airtel Binge Plan 2gb for 500 naira to do some research and perform better
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by saintneo(m): 10:50am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:
They just released the results of two courses for 200L first semester and I had F, (3 credit load each) it is very painful because I read my books.

First things first, get your departments curriculum and compute what grades you need to make so as to graduate with 2.1.

I had similar issue. First semester year 1 I think was 2.6, second semester was 1.9; lots of Es, one was in 4 credit load course and one F in subject I did well at in secondary school. Why did this happen to me? Several factors contributed, such as being a very social human being and most courses were heavily sorted which I never took part in.

Nevertheless, I was confident; yes first class is gone but I can still hit a high 2.1 if and only if I made staright As lol. I worked hard, cut down on socials, mingled more with fellow engineering students - the smarts ones though.

Year 2, 3 were awesome; year 4, 5 was cruise control. I ended up with 3.56; 2.1 na 2.1, 4.49 and 3.50 bears 2.1 ;d :d.

Despite all this race for 2.1, I must say that academic grades don't influence much in life. Yes, it gives an edge but that's just for job recruitment.

Do you have passion for the course to which you are enrolled?

I have seen 'idiots' make YouTube channels, Blogs, etc profitable by doing 'idiotic things'. There are kids posting gaming videos online, then make money off it. To be candid, I envy them. Currently, I have a YouTube channel where I post my Candy crush exploits, I want it to blow....lol.

Push hard for 2.1, but if don't make it, it's not the end of life. What matters most how happy you are and how in tune you are with God.

Adios amigos.

5 Likes

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Nobody: 10:50am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

First of all, there's nothing like a good or a bad 2.1, any 2.1 is good. That being said, whether you can still make 2.1 depends on what from here henceforth, and apparently other factors too, since you're working hard but not seeing the results.

My advice: Don't give up, work harder...and smarter too. A 2.1 is still possible, during my time I also had a GP of 2.4 in first semester year 1 due to circumstances beyond me...I picked myself up and was able to take it to 3.6 by the end of second semester year 1. I ended up with a good 2.1 by the time I graduated, luckily for me no carryovers, but you can do more than this bro. But also bearing in mind that education is meant to enlighten an individual, even if you don't end up with the 2.1, you might still achieve what the people with first class cannot achieve...go further to the post grad level.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by luba9876: 10:56am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

Is 2.1 the ultimate? I graduated with 2.1 ten years ago, till date I have no job. My friends that had 2.2 and third class are counting down retirement. Cool down and don't get yourself walk up!
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Military0001: 10:59am On Jul 27, 2019
namiji2598:
My brother the real truth is that u cannot make 2.1, even Ur 2.2 will be weak, thats less than 3.0

I studied chemistry bro

All these guys telling u that u can do it might be all these accounting, business admin, and sociology students.
Studying a science course differ from an social science course, when the level keep on getting to the top that's when u will know the course u ar studying, when u reach 300L no body will give u an A in IT and the courses at that level are top notch, very very complicated topics

Let me give u a new goal: jus try and graduate with Ur mate

Chai!!! Ndi mmadu

1 Like

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Lamasta(m): 10:59am On Jul 27, 2019
Collinsemegreat:

UNIBEN i guess?
Nope OAUSTECH
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Morry10: 11:13am On Jul 27, 2019
under due process..not possible bt last last..1st class ,second class upper na scam
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by whemmytopsy(m): 11:16am On Jul 27, 2019
Lamasta:

Bro I finished my first year with 2.00 CGPA with 4 carryovers, second year with 2.56 or so but from my second semester second year the least GPA I had was 4.40 others was first class GPA till I graduated, I even had 5.0 twice and I studied Industrial Chemistry, involved in Students representative of my local government both national and local, was a top worker in my fellowship throughout my 5 years in the university both as a V.P, Secretary, AGS, Ag. President and also was the course rep of my program and an academic director of SCSN (Students Chemical Society of Nigeria) if I can still graduate with 3.80 CGPA Second class upper with all this put together my brother you don't have excuse to graduate less.
Note: am a lover of God and I don't joke with my spirituality while in school cos it helped me a lot.
Just drop this to encourage somebody out there who is about to give up academically, listen to me its not how you start that matters but how you finish.
I pray for you as Steve Farrar said in his Book finishing Strong, You will FINISH STRONG AND WELL IN JESUS NAME, AMEN.
Shalom
I guess you attended a private university, because i am 100 percent sure that you cannot carry over 4 courses in your first year in a school like OAU with that course you studied and still graduate with that grade.....Please which school you go??
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by bigK001: 11:17am On Jul 27, 2019
I doubt it sir.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by kolaaderin: 11:17am On Jul 27, 2019
femi4:
2 carry overs in 3 units courses.....that's a knock out. Not possible, even your 2.2 will be weak 2.2 . That is below 3.0

He can still make the 2.1 his average henceforth would only need to be first class.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Makefav(m): 11:18am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

My dear sister or brother, from experience, is very possible and it possible, you just need 4 things, u just need to do
1. Be close to God & pray
2.Go to Bible believing church, they will motivate u, and cancel u in all round
3. Know the best time u can read and assimilate better, study than b4, cover syllabus, and always read ahead of the lectures, do all your assignments, don't miss test, or classes becos of unannounced test
4. U need to drop some friends who may distract you, look for better friends in your department, faculty who offer same courses with u, let them stretch you, reason together, reviews past questions wit them, .....u may read well and still fail, cos the way u interprets, the way you put them down, may be wrong but when you works with good colleagues you will be able to guides yourselves
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Realboygenius(m): 11:22am On Jul 27, 2019
Just put in more work and pray bro.

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Evangkatsoulis: 11:22am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

Does your school count F as 0 quality points? Or do they record only the repeat as a C grade maximum?
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Omega48: 11:23am On Jul 27, 2019
SpatialKing:
Skills skills skills skills skills skills.... Get skills
Power Bi
Tableau
Excel Power Quary
Pandas
GIS
SQL
STATA
SPSS
Eviews
Epinfo
Sas
Infographics etc
you people just encourage people to learn all this statistical software and you dont encourage them to be well grounded in statistics.... no matter how well u know this softwares you are limited in a certain way without extensive knowledge of statistics ur decision making mindset will be bad.... u will know how to use this softwares,dont get me wrong but u will never be as good as u should without very good statistics background and you will never be able to run some high level analysis like timeseries, operations research and so on.... dont just carry software and learn be well grounded
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Makefav(m): 11:23am On Jul 27, 2019
Morry10:
under due process..not possible bt last last..1st class ,second class upper na scam
Well, its may looks scam but, some people still regrets for not graduated with it, if your parents are not rich, and you're not from rich home, u may need first class or second class, because idea without capital is a great problem, but capital without idea, u can buy idea and invest on it.

Therefore search for the best
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by frozen70(f): 11:28am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

Anyway I want to ask if it's still possible to graduate with a good 2.1no

You might be reading and if you don't understand what you are reading, you might not pass your exams

Be more focused and committed, stay away fro social media, it's the major distraction for youths

Physics is not a nursery rhyme book it's us very early for you to change your course now

Forget about what people will say, tey ate just observers
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by AbuMikey(m): 11:31am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

Yes, very possible.

But, you'll have to work super hard.

My Year One CGPA was 2.6, and I graduated with a 2:1, top 5 in the class.

PS: I lost most of my social life working for this.

I studied the Most Difficult course in the world, Architecture.

1 Like

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 11:32am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

You are too lazy, see my profile picture for details
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by wyzoe: 11:34am On Jul 27, 2019
lorenzos1:

Guy, it might still be possible u still have about 5 semesters to go... But u would need to sacrifice. I was in a similar situation while in Uni a long time ago, I made the decision and I ended up with a 2.1 and that 2.1 took me out of poverty.
Firstly u need to calculate the minimum GP u have to make each semester to make the 2.1.
Then have a written plan.
U might need to change your social circle start walking with d First Class students and follow their ways.
Think of it as a chance to better your life.

Solid.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by SpatialKing(m): 11:35am On Jul 27, 2019
Omega48:

you people just encourage people to learn all this statistical software and you dont encourage them to be well grounded in statistics.... no matter how well u know this softwares you are limited in a certain way without extensive knowledge of statistics ur decision making mindset will be bad.... u will know how to use this softwares,dont get me wrong but u will never be as good as u should without very good statistics background and you will never be able to run some high level analysis like timeseries, operations research and so on.... dont just carry software and learn be well grounded
Being well grounded in statistics doesn't translate to high CGPA... I have meant alot of art graduates who are sound programmers and well grounded in analysis, don't get it wrong. Your creative and thinking abilities has nothing to do with your CGPA.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Nobody: 11:37am On Jul 27, 2019
2.2 z still more Dan possible......if you can meet what is required
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Kola5281(m): 11:38am On Jul 27, 2019
Hi guru in the house, I currently having a C.G.P.A of 3.10. I'm in my last semeste,though they've not released our first semester result. is it possible for me to still finish with 2.1

1 Like

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Omega48: 11:39am On Jul 27, 2019
op, first of all 2.1 is 2.1....i had a similar experience in school i read Statistics, my first year was damn bad a 2.40,by my second year i still couldn't still perform at my maximum best but i made a 3.5....from my third year i kept on hitting 4.2 ,until my last semester i made a 4.5......and i crossed the 2.1 mark finally..... now secondly it wasn't easy i had to hold God tight although i had my down sides and side distractions too, but i tried to put extra effort, i studied my department, studied my lecturers, understood how each of them wanted their questions to be answered, university isnt just about reading but also being smart, u can read all u want full ur papers and still not have an A... ask ur self why is that?, lecturers are different, departments are different, understand this things and u will do well, also dont forget to put God first, without him u will feel depressed, with him through all this u will have a calm and focused spirit,
and lastly pls leave WOMEN.. u dont need them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by FIDELISFIDECENT: 11:40am On Jul 27, 2019
neoG:
Might be a narrow escape. But in all learn a skill.

Get your raw undiluted perfume oils and yoni pearls @ 1k for vaginal infection issues

God bless you, brother.

# learn a skill#

Business and skill runs our society today.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Omega48: 11:45am On Jul 27, 2019
SpatialKing:

Being well grounded in statistics doesn't translate to high CGPA... I'm meant alot of arts graduates who are sound programmers and sound with analysis, don't get it wrong. Your creative and thinking abilities has nothing to do with your CGPA.
now you are contradicting yourself, i wasnt saying being grounded in statistics would help u increase ur CGPA, y will i say that.....u told him to get skills, and u mentioned lots of statistical packages, now what i was saying was, u cant just tell someone to learn this softwares without being extensively grounded in statistics,because without it you ll just be on d surface, you decision making and drawing of inference will be bad, that's all i never said it will help u build GP
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

Well, it is still possible if you set out your mind on making 4pt henceforth. A female friend of mine was on 3.10 in our 2nd year and she made a 3.50CGPA when the final result was released in 2014 .
When i asked her the secret, she said she told herself if she won't make 4pt from that point there's no reason for her studying and she did just that. Her social life suffered for it, she made friends with two high flying students from 300L and 400l and they mentored her .
Your course might not be what you wanted from the onset. Maybe you are not cut out to study physics or may be you're not reading the right materials.
I wish you all the best brother. Please do whatever it takes to make a 2.1.
I'm not saying the job or scholarship is right there waiting for you after graduation but it will get you job invites and test if you're below 27.

1 Like

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by Lamasta(m): 11:54am On Jul 27, 2019
whemmytopsy:

I guess you attended a private university, because i am 100 percent sure that you cannot carry over 4 courses in your first year in a school like OAU with that course you studied and still graduate with that grade.....Please which school you go??
If I attended private university I will graduate with a first class for your info its because I attended a state university that's why I pass through some of those hurdles bro.
If You are good you are good no matter the atmosphere or environment you find yourself you will still excel all you just need is quick adaptation.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by obinnawhyte(m): 11:58am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

Very much possible. But when writing the failed course you must settle for nothing but an A and going forward avoid failing any course and if at all because many things lately can bring about it, it shouldn't be a 3/ 4 credit units courses. Remember your project is another huge opportunity you have to gain point ( 6 units). Imagine you have an A in your project, that will be 5*6=30points, B=24 points. Please don't joke with your 3/4 credit unit courses, always target A's or at least B's that's if you're talking about Second Class Upper.
Good luck
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by JOHNPAUL53(m): 11:59am On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

I won't fail any course again.
So remain in your 2.2 zone.
The way you sounded..... You will make it to 2.1

1 Like

Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by darkhorizon: 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2019
brandon180:

Very possible. I also studied Physics (at Unilorin). My CGPA for my 100 level was 2.64 and I graduated with a CGPA of 4.1. If I had straight A's from my 200 level till my finals, I would have made 4.57.
Re: Is Second Class Upper Still Possible.?? by InansBobo(m): 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2019
Enoch07:
my dear 2.2 is ur portion, because there is no guarantee u won't F at least one more course again b4 u graduate. so on behalf of d 2.2 graduates in Nigeria I welcome u to our fold
na wa oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Disabled South African Lady Graduates After Being Discouraged By Lecturer / UNILAG Reinstates Olorunfemi Adeyeye, Rusticated Student Activist / "Teachers To Earn Higher Salaries Than Other Workers" - Minister

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.