Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,709 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:14 PM

Breaking: Another Building Collapses In Lagos Island, The Third In Two Weeks - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Breaking: Another Building Collapses In Lagos Island, The Third In Two Weeks (226 Views)

Fire Guts Another Building In Lagos (Photos) / Another Building Collapses In Onitsha, Five Escape Death / Another Building Collapses In Lagos At Egerton Square, Alakoro Lagos Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Another Building Collapses In Lagos Island, The Third In Two Weeks by star9jamedia: 8:30am On Jul 27, 2019
BREAKING: ANOTHER BUILDING COLLAPSES IN LAGOS ISLAND, THE THIRD IN TWO WEEKS

Posted On: March 25, 2019 1:15 Pm GMT+0000 Posted By: Dammy Comments: 0
Another building, Monday morning, collapsed in Lagos Island, making it the third building to collapse in Lagos State in two weeks. Eyewitness reports said the building collapsed at the early hours of Monday, at Kakawa Street, in the residential area of Lagos Island. No casualty case has been reported yet.

This is coming after the collapse of a three-storey building in the Ita Faaji area of the Lagos Island on Wednesday, which killed 20 people. It was gathered that LASBCA had in the last few days demolished about 13 defective houses in the area. Buildings that have been demolished are those on 60A Freeman Street; 47 Smith Street; 16 and 28 Apatira Street; 39 Alli Street; 45 John Street; 16 Egerton Street; 27 Inabiri Street; 28 Elegbata Street, Apongbon; 199 Tokunbo Street; 21 Okediji Street; 34 Seriki Street; and 33 Ojo Giwa Street.

Oshibodu, who lived at 60A Freeman Street, Epetedo, said the demolition of the building had rendered him and members of his family homeless, such that they had to distribute themselves to friends and relatives in order to survive. He pleaded for government’s intervention to bail him out of his predicament.

He said, “Myself and my wife have been sleeping outside the demolished building but we had to take the kids to extended family members around. If things continue like this, my family will have to split. As it is now, it’s our extended family members who brought food for us.

“We don’t know what the government wants to do for us. We are still waiting to see what’s going to happen. We learnt that Asiwaju Bola Tinubu arranged for some people to write down their names with the promise that he would give them a place as well as food and money. It has not got to us but I want to speak with the woman leader of my area, probably I can get help from him (Tinubu).

“We never expected something like this and we did do not have any savings for a time like this. What happened was not our fault; we would have loved it if they had given us more time to prepare. I still owe about three months’ rent on the demolished building, how do they expect me to get the money for a new apartment?”

Another affected resident, simply identified as Segun, who lived on 39 Alli Street, Ita Faaji, said the government should have made better provision for them before they were told to evacuate the buildings.
He stated, “The government needs to be proactive. They cannot tell us to just evacuate our houses without any provision. It is totally unfair. We just paid our rent last week Sunday. Our votes are what put them there; they should not treat us like animals.

Pic.9. A child being rescued from the scene of a building, which collapsed at Itafaji on the Lagos Island on Wednesday (13/3/19).
02149/13/3/2019Kayode Oladapo/JAU/BJO/NAN

“If we are truly practising democracy, the government should have called a meeting of the affected residents before making such a decision. Me, my wife and children as well as my mother and brother, where do they want us to live? If one wants to rent an apartment now, they will ask that one should pay for two years in addition to the agreement and commission in these hard times.”

What do you think?

https://www.9jastarmedia.com/2019/07/breaking-another-building-collapses-in.html

Re: Breaking: Another Building Collapses In Lagos Island, The Third In Two Weeks by Cutefergieee: 8:33am On Jul 27, 2019
Ok

(1) (Reply)

The Service Of Insurance Claim Litigation Is Better Handled By Experts / Turkey Security Doors And Wooden Doors For Sales / *gbagada Letting* *3 Bedroom Flats* *below 1m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.