Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,430 members, 7,808,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:08 PM

NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food (31623 Views)

Roasted Baboon: Is It Advisable To Eat This Kind Of Animal? / Beware Of Reddish Palm Oil, NAFDAC Warns Nigerians / NAFDAC Warns Against Eating Fruits Ripened With Calcium Carbide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Ravon: 2:09pm On Jul 27, 2019
The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) wishes to use this medium to ALERT the general public and in particular consumers of animal hides popularly known as PONMO in local parlance on the activities of some unscrupulous businessmen and traders who are selling industrial animal hides as food.

As far back as 2015, following intelligence reports, the Agency, through Investigation and Enforcement Directorate, had been successfully dealing with isolated cases of dangerous diversion of animal hides meant for industrial use into the food chain for consumption as local delicacy PONMO. This practice poses a grave danger to public health.

Investigations revealed that some of the companies legally imported hides from countries such as Lebanon and Turkey, while the majority of the product was smuggled into the country through the porous borders.

These imported animal hides are meant for industrial use by leather industries for the manufacture of items such as shoes, bag, belt etc. The hides, therefore, are pretreated with industrial chemicals which are not of food-grade and will be toxic and injurious to human health. Health hazards inherent in the consumption of such animal hides include risk of Liver, Kidney and Heart damage, increased risk of Aplastic anaemia, Central nervous system toxicity, cancer, etc.

Livestock farmers are also to note that industrial animal hides can also not be used to manufacture animal feed, as the associated chemicals will be stored in the tissues of these animals and will eventually end up in humans when consumed with the attendant deleterious effects listed above.

The general public is hereby encouraged to be very vigilant and exercise discretion when purchasing animal hides PONMO and indeed other food items. NAFDAC is fully alive to her responsibilities of assuring the safety, wholesomeness and quality of processed foods offered for sale to the public. In this regard, the Agency has increased the tempo of targeted and aggressive routine (unannounced) inspections to monitor activities of animal hide merchants to ensure that only food-grade animal hide (PONMO) is sold as food article in our markets.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2019/07/27/nafdac-warns-nigerians-on-consumption-of-animal-hides-and-skin-ponmo-as-food/

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by SLAP44: 2:20pm On Jul 27, 2019
A section of the country will not like this news.

I didn't mention names oooo grin

67 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by GOFRONT(m): 2:33pm On Jul 27, 2019
Fayose right now....

20 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by nzeobi(m): 2:38pm On Jul 27, 2019
ponmo is not meat and can never be a substitute for it. it's not even nutritious, so I wonder why people consume it

28 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Eazie351(m): 2:57pm On Jul 27, 2019
nzeobi:
ponmo is not meat and can never be a substitute for it. it's not even nutritious, so I wonder why people consume it
just to complete the food equation. you'll be like,

gimme 1 ogunfe, 2 normal meat, 1 assorted & one ponmo.

it's ponmo we call last sef

184 Likes 7 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by EkunKekere: 4:29pm On Jul 27, 2019
Come and take it away from me

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by henryobinna(m): 1:52pm On Jul 28, 2019
an entire industry is being swallowed up into the mouth bu Nigerians.

A multi billion nairs industry at that.. embarassed

31 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by OboOlora(f): 1:53pm On Jul 28, 2019
Nafdac de mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nothing is more orgasmic as ponmo alata n cold 33!

70 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Tastemoney(m): 1:53pm On Jul 28, 2019
wink
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by TheFacelessMan: 1:54pm On Jul 28, 2019
angry

[img]http:///media/12-24-2016/E1c7QP.gif[/img]

Mama Basira .. 2 more pieces of PONMO

PS - read the true story of how a cult hitman became a Pastor. Graphic! Viewer's discretion.

https://www.nairaland.com/5326763/cult-church-true-story-hitman

52 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Pidginwhisper: 1:54pm On Jul 28, 2019
Are they mad?

12 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by XklusivGistBlog(m): 1:54pm On Jul 28, 2019
Them nor serious

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by thesicilian: 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Read the news properly. First they didn't ban anything, they are only alerting the public to the emergence of animal hides which have been pre-treated with industrial chemicals. These hides are meant for the manufacturing of belts and shoes etc but are being sold in the market as ponmo and animal feeds.

21 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by soberdrunk(m): 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
angry
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by abkrgumel(m): 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Nothing dey add nothing dey remove

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by chloride6: 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Is it your eating?

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Rubicon67(m): 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
SLAP44:

I am sure your means of livelihood depends on that section of the country you are trying to throw your cheap jab at.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Bossontop(m): 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
undecided
Nafdac :- dont eat ponmo

Me :-

[img]https://media1./images/f66dc17b4094f2166909820578e6b4e9/tenor.gif?itemid=4844098[/img]

Abii una dey mad nii??.....dem send una??

Gather here if u can relate with what I'm saying

51 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by mamajj17(f): 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
EkunKekere:
Come and take it away from me

Thanks dear, we belong 2 d same Category, i love Ponmo die grin grin grin wink

10 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by jayextra(m): 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Coneheads over to u grin

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Chiedu4Trump: 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2019
Ponmo na cooked belt now grin

10 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
I have never liked that thing.

I never chop meat and chicken finish,na to come chop something wey dey like leather bag

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by ezeonline2(m): 1:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
Chai.. na wa oo.. watin common man dey use console himself na him you wan take away so oo.. embarassed

5 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by SocialJustice: 1:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
Ponmo for life, I don't eat soup without diced Ponmo.

9 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by AngelicBeing: 1:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
tongue
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by SeunPhantom(m): 1:56pm On Jul 28, 2019
Ponmo kika � this people dey mad.

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Tessie01(f): 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2019
God safe us

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by funmike83(f): 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2019
Oh no, why na. This pple don come again ooooo
Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by slimmax: 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2019
No be lie, abeg iya fisi gi me kpomo ojare

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by Sanchez01: 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2019
SLAP44:
I don't know why you guys believe only Yorubas eat Ponmo. Ponmo is known as Kanda in the South East and is mostly eaten with Abacha. The entire South eat Ponmo fairly well.

40 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Consumption Of Animal Hides And Skin (ponmo) As Food by ADRIAN88(m): 1:58pm On Jul 28, 2019
Izz like they use this food take swear for me, everywhere I enter, na so so 500 naira pomo I dey order.

13 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Few Reasons Why Ladies Love Or Should Love Cucumbers / Watch Almajiri Children Scramble For Remnants Of Food Left By A Man / 6 Foods Nigerian Don't Joke With (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.