Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,706 members, 7,802,100 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:14 AM

The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. (19055 Views)

How You Can Customize Your First Bank ATM Cards / Stop Using Easy Passwords For Your ATM Cards, Mobile banki. A Nairalander Warns. / UBA Bans The Use Of ATM For Some Transaction Such As Betting And Many Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 4:16pm On Jul 30, 2019
AryaSand:

Exactly.

And that's why we are calling their attention
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by GOFRONT(m): 4:17pm On Jul 30, 2019
angry
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by marostan(m): 4:18pm On Jul 30, 2019
lonelydora:
People that do not summon courage to shout in the bank, how do you people do it? The best place to create scene is in the bank.

As long as it's your bank (even if it's not your branch), they have every right to bring it out and give to you.

First Bank got a share of my anger last year with this ATM card issue.

Was your card given back to you after a share of your anger?

2 Likes

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 30, 2019
oladele239:
I have never been a victim

May you never be a victim o.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 4:18pm On Jul 30, 2019
ohem007:
Like seriously...

I have been in the same situation where i had to cry nd beg..
Even comot cartahhh for nose sef just for them to release my ATM buh thank God one fine anty was there she was just looking at me...

She pitied me and asked me some questions even though i was with all my identity cards...

Voters card
School I.D card
School fee reciept

If them no give me back my card that day ehnn...

Na "young man dies in his hostel" for be my story

My last 1k wey i wan use chop..
Dem hold my card nd it was not even my fault..

Thier yeye generator switch off with my card inside how was i suppose to get it

Buh i thank God shaaa

Lol, was it your bank?

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 30, 2019
marostan:

Was your card given back to you after a share of your anger?

A friend's card was.

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ericmor: 4:19pm On Jul 30, 2019
Anything that brings money to them is what they do, they prefer it that way cause you will have to pay to get a new ATM card from your bank which means more money to the bank. Is just so annoying going through all the stress and still pay for their own mistakes. Like I was using an ATM sometimes ago and the next thing, they just reboot the marching and the thing hold my ATM card on a Saturday o. It was just so annoying cus I don’t know y the person working on the marching can’t send the security or someone to ask us to hold on, it was after d deed has been done d security now told us that they are working on it that we should all hold on. I have to go there early Monday morning to get my card back since is the bank I’m banking with

3 Likes

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by MrBen619(m): 4:20pm On Jul 30, 2019
Have your card been traped
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by alobright17(m): 4:23pm On Jul 30, 2019
In other countries they'll even give you the card and thank you so that you'll be very happy not to cause a scene for people to laugh at there ATM machine ..... I never knew same can't be said about Nigeria sef. who did we offend ?

5 Likes

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by lonelydora: 4:27pm On Jul 30, 2019
okemejames:

What if it's retained by another bank? That's the annoying thing

That's where they will ask you to go and fill form.

Sometime ago, I went to withdraw from one Fidelity ATM bank, luckily, I went to the the machine inside. Don't know what happened, it retained my card. Omo, I raised hell, and told them I don't even have transport. I asked some of them to give me 2k that I'm going to Aba.

That's how they went inside, and brought out my ATM Card.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by BadAdviser: 4:28pm On Jul 30, 2019
The day my card was trapped in one fcmb bank ehn me and my guys enter the bank see fight lol.

Manager had to come out and instruct our card be given to us immediately cos i was with my ID card.

If you dey do gentle man for bank dem go just dey Jonze you anyhow

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ohem007(m): 4:30pm On Jul 30, 2019
okemejames:

Lol, was it your bank?

No o...

You know those banks that they put in schools na
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by toprealman: 4:32pm On Jul 30, 2019
Plan well. For a country like Nigeria, you need more than one Sim card to operate effectively. Same goes for bank activities, you need more than one ATM card from at least two banks ( three advised!)
Have at least one mobile line for mobile transfer.
With this arrangement, barring any agenda discussed about you in that village gathering grin grin......you should be OK.

7 Likes

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by meetmeonline: 4:32pm On Jul 30, 2019
It is so simple, keep a photo of your current ATM card in your phone and if this ever happens, take your drivers license, National Id Card or Voters card to the bank and cry like a baby, that scene will do more favour to you than making noise, (a 3rd party bank could get you arrested for harassing them). Me I go with Drivers Licence, Voters Card and Passport all at once and cry for them, oboy, you will see the magic, even the manager will come to your aid if you can do good tears. grin grin grin cry kiss
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by meetmeonline: 4:35pm On Jul 30, 2019
BadAdviser:
The day my card was trapped in one fcmb bank ehn me and my guys enter the bank see fight lol.

Manager had to come out and instruct our card be given to us immediately cos i was with my ID card.

If you dey do gentle man for bank dem go just dey Jonze you anyhow

Only in your own bank (cus they may not want to lose the account), a "law graduate" manager can get you arrested!
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 4:36pm On Jul 30, 2019
okemejames:
There is something more disappointing and devastating when you get to the ATM stand only to find out it can't dispense cash. This is usually more painful after staying on the queue for a long time maybe under an angry sun. A more disheartening scenario is when your card is retained by your own Bank ATM and the situation becomes more critical when it happened during the weekend especially after the closure of Banks. It becomes very painful when an emergency is at hand .
These cases are not as serious as when your ATM card is retained by the ATM of another bank other than yours. That can really be heartbreaking as no matter the English you speak the customer agent will direct you to your bank for a new ATM card. They'll tell you it is a directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). We all know how these ATMs malfunction sometimes and whenever that occurs and your card happen to be inside is an endgame; the only response you will get is that your card has been compromised. Worst is the case when you consider the rigmarole as it's an Herculean task to get a new card as the process is as difficult as looking for a bank or an establishment without a standby generator.
The importance of ATM can't be overemphasized as it has in tremendous ways assisted the banking system and the economy of the Nation at large. Transactions had been eased and businesses done easily but the impediment of a retained card is indeed catastrophic.
As long as a proof of ownership can be presented, I see no reason why a retained ATM card won't be released. It may now become a thing of trial and error or risk to make withdrawals from other bank ATMs. It's high time a bill is passed by the National Assembly or whoever in charge in respect to this reoccurring decimal. CBN should carefully look into this situation and reconsider their policy as it pertain this challenge. It cost time and money to get a new ATM card; even energy is also exerted in the process.
We all know that one of the customer's bill of rights is that the customer is the most important person in the economy and every business succeeds only when the customer is happy; therefore the customers should be regarded as a king. It will be a thing of joy if this policy is revisited and reconsidered for the benefit of all and for a better relationship in respect to the economy and the Nation at large. Thank You.

By:
Jerome Okeme

(Pls this article should be shared to all various social media platforms so that it can reach relevant authorities)

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Dominique
Naptu2

[b][/b]pls share on twitter especially and call their attention
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by pocohantas(f): 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2019
1. The word is retracted, not retained/swallowed. cheesy

2. Debit card, not "ATM card". After all, you use it on other terminals that are not ATMs.

3. If it is an on-us transaction (your card-your bank), then your bank (irrespective of the branch) should give you your debit card immediately.

4. If it is a remote-on-us transaction (your card- another bank), the other bank owes you nothing. Direct your grievance to CBN.

5. I agree with you, it is a very harsh decision. I wonder what they were thinking, I wonder their reason too. I will ask around.

6. This is 2019, it is not a herculean task to get a debit card. Banks have instant cards, they can even emboss your "guy name" on it for you. grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Zaikon(m): 4:39pm On Jul 30, 2019
AryaSand:
The kind of Policies CBN and NCC make sometimes leaves you wondering if those working there are actually Humans.
They are humans too but they get their own free and stress free.
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by jamace(m): 4:45pm On Jul 30, 2019
alobright17:
In other countries they'll even give you the card and thank you so that you'll be very happy not to cause a scene for people to laugh at there ATM machine ..... I never knew same can't be said about Nigeria sef. who did we offend ?
You offended Frederick Lugard and Flora Shaw. grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by Ugosample(m): 4:45pm On Jul 30, 2019
asdfjklhaha:
The name Nigeria is related to stress. from nursery School to primary, to secondary, to university, to Nysc...even getting a job stress. when you get the job nko to safe you money inside bank stress, when you keep it to collect it either with ATM or across is even worse. this country needs help

too bad
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by decco1878: 4:47pm On Jul 30, 2019
okemejames:
There is something more disappointing and devastating when you get to the ATM stand only to find out it can't dispense cash. This is usually more painful after staying on the queue for a long time maybe under an angry sun. A more disheartening scenario is when your card is retained by your own Bank ATM and the situation becomes more critical when it happened during the weekend especially after the closure of Banks. It becomes very painful when an emergency is at hand .
These cases are not as serious as when your ATM card is retained by the ATM of another bank other than yours. That can really be heartbreaking as no matter the English you speak the customer agent will direct you to your bank for a new ATM card. They'll tell you it is a directive from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). We all know how these ATMs malfunction sometimes and whenever that occurs and your card happen to be inside is an endgame; the only response you will get is that your card has been compromised. Worst is the case when you consider the rigmarole as it's an Herculean task to get a new card as the process is as difficult as looking for a bank or an establishment without a standby generator.
The importance of ATM can't be overemphasized as it has in tremendous ways assisted the banking system and the economy of the Nation at large. Transactions had been eased and businesses done easily but the impediment of a retained card is indeed catastrophic.
As long as a proof of ownership can be presented, I see no reason why a retained ATM card won't be released. It may now become a thing of trial and error or risk to make withdrawals from other bank ATMs. It's high time a bill is passed by the National Assembly or whoever in charge in respect to this reoccurring decimal. CBN should carefully look into this situation and reconsider their policy as it pertain this challenge. It cost time and money to get a new ATM card; even energy is also exerted in the process.
We all know that one of the customer's bill of rights is that the customer is the most important person in the economy and every business succeeds only when the customer is happy; therefore the customers should be regarded as a king. It will be a thing of joy if this policy is revisited and reconsidered for the benefit of all and for a better relationship in respect to the economy and the Nation at large. Thank You.

By:
Jerome Okeme

(Pls this article should be shared to all various social media platforms so that it can reach relevant authorities)

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Dominique
Naptu2
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ALEXANDER51: 4:50pm On Jul 30, 2019
Well articulated......
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by BadAdviser: 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2019
meetmeonline:

Only in your own bank (cus they may not want to lose the account), a "law graduate" manager can get you arrested!
Do you live in California?

Dude banks in Nigeria are really mad if you never show them madness they will keep playing you around

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by 9jatriot(m): 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2019
"You had no cash left"... Those Benin and Nigerian custom guys don use you shine abi
ithink7:
You mean "retracted"

This thing happened to me one day at Seme border. They returned my card when I became violent. Other people used the opportunity to collect their cards too cos that machine retracted a lot of cards that day. Nonsense.
I had no cash left so I was ready to bring that bank to a standstill.
I told them they and their CBN are making stupid policies. The card is my property and they have to right to make decisions for me.

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 4:52pm On Jul 30, 2019
noni14:
any time I want to use another bank I pray

Lol
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 4:53pm On Jul 30, 2019
ALEXANDER51:
Well articulated......

Thanks for the comment
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 4:53pm On Jul 30, 2019
jamace:
You offended Frederick Lugard and Flora Shaw. grin grin

Help me ask ooo
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by wonlasewonimi: 4:54pm On Jul 30, 2019
What is wrong with you people fighting unnecessarily? Do you all use just one account ni? Once your card is retained, just move funds into another account and go and withdraw it...Abi am I missing something?

4 Likes

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 4:55pm On Jul 30, 2019
pocohantas:
1. The word is retracted.

2. Debit card, not "ATM card". After all, you use it on other terminals that are not ATMs.

3. If it is an on-us transaction, then your bank (irrespective of the branch) should give you your debit card immediately.

4. If it is a remote-on-us transaction, the other bank owes you nothing. Direct your grievance to CBN.

5. I agree with you, it is a very harsh decision. I wonder what they were thinking, I wonder their reason too. I will ask around.

6. This is 2019, it is not a herculean task to get a debit card. Banks have instant cards, they can even emboss your "guy name" on it for you. grin

Thanks for the correction and opinion
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by ithink7: 4:57pm On Jul 30, 2019
I de tell you. Lol

The guy saw money in my wallet and took everything. He said it is illegal to cross border with cash. I felt like breaking his neck but he had guns. I later figured how guys go about it.

9jatriot:
"You had no cash left"... Those Benin and Nigerian custom guys don use you shine abi

1 Like

Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by tosinhtml: 4:58pm On Jul 30, 2019
pocohantas:
1. The word is retracted.

3. If it is an on-us transaction, then your bank (irrespective of the branch) should give you your debit card immediately.

4. If it is a remote-on-us transaction, the other bank owes you nothing. Direct your grievance to CBN.

Hmm Poco the Poco the correctional officer

Plizz I dinor say anything ooo lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: The Pressing Issue Of Retained Atm Cards. by okemejames(m): 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2019
DameB:
Why should banks return your card to you? When they make 1k naira each time you request for a new card?
It's all about the dough for these banks

It's really annoying

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Weaker Naira Drives Up Foreign Demand For Local Products / Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria / How To Earn #10000 A Day Without Spending A Dime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.