Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,802 members, 7,798,702 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:53 AM

Power Surge - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Power Surge (804 Views)

Get Your AC Regulator, Charge Controller & Surge Protector @ an affordable Price / My Laptop Consume So Much Electricity And Cause Power Surge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Surge by simmieyoung(m): 9:55am On Jul 31, 2019
Hello guys, please I need an enlightening on an issue. So i used my system the night before working perfectly until this morning it won't come on... Eventually it came on but won't load and the eventually it dies without booting... Within few seconds. Engineer said the harddrive issue. I also noticed my phone charger has been sluggish since that night. My question: is power surge capable of affecting the harddrive?
Help!
Re: Power Surge by Razak5(m): 10:39am On Jul 31, 2019
simmieyoung:
Hello guys, please I need an enlightening on an issue. So i used my system the night before working perfectly until this morning it won't come on... Eventually it came on but won't load and the eventually it dies without booting... Within few seconds. Engineer said the harddrive issue. I also noticed my phone charger has been sluggish since that night. My question: is power surge capable of affecting the harddrive?
Help!

Hello simmieyoung

First, when we talk of power surges, we're basically looking at electricity from the socket outlet down to the fuse to your adapter.

If the surge bypasses the fuse, it gets to your adapter, and if your adapter isn't able to handle it, the resultant effect gets into your system.

Once it gets into your system, it affects the power circuitry and in most cases your PC;

A. May not come on.
B. May power only on battery.
C. May not charge.

This clearly indicate that power surges should not affect HDDs or RAMs or other computer peripherals that are not power related.

* Having said that, if you repeatedly power your system on and off using the power button, the hard drive (HDD) could be affected. This doesn't appear to be the case from your complaint...

** There's also a likelihood that your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is reaching it's end of life and all that was needed to strike a death blow is for your system to suddenly trip off.

The BIOS may have been reset due to faulty CMOS battery. This reset usually changes boot orders and boot modes. If this happens, your system will fail to recognize the boot device (your HDD). Thus declaring that it didn't find a boot device.

*** If the technician has actually exhausted all these possibilities including checking the health of the hard disk and has come to the conclusion that the HDD is bad, then you can ride with that.***

*cheers*

Oh you were expecting a YES or NO answer grin
But nah, in tech the only yes or no you have is after proper diagnosis.

Would you like further assistance, kindly call/WhatsApp on 09082687404
Re: Power Surge by simmieyoung(m): 2:58pm On Jul 31, 2019
Razak5:

Hello simmieyoung

First, when we talk of power surges, we're basically looking at electricity from the socket outlet down to the fuse to your adapter.

If the surge bypasses the fuse, it gets to your adapter, and if your adapter isn't able to handle it, the resultant effect gets into your system.

Once it gets into your system, it affects the power circuitry and in most cases your PC;

A. May not come on.
B. May power only on battery.
C. May not charge.

This clearly indicate that power surges should not affect HDDs or RAMs or other computer peripherals that are not power related.

* Having said that, if you repeatedly power your system on and off using the power button, the hard drive (HDD) could be affected. This doesn't appear to be the case from your complaint...

** There's also a likelihood that your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) is reaching it's end of life and all that was needed to strike a death blow is for your system to suddenly trip off.

The BIOS may have been reset due to faulty CMOS battery. This reset usually changes boot orders and boot modes. If this happens, your system will fail to recognize the boot device (your HDD). Thus declaring that it didn't find a boot device.

*** If the technician has actually exhausted all these possibilities including checking the health of the hard disk and has come to the conclusion that the HDD is bad, then you can ride with that.***

*cheers*

Oh you were expecting a YES or NO answer grin
But nah, in tech the only yes or no you have is after proper diagnosis.

Would you like further assistance, kindly call/WhatsApp on 09082687404

Lol... I didn't expect something this much... Thanks
Re: Power Surge by Razak5(m): 4:39pm On Jul 31, 2019
simmieyoung:

Lol... I didn't expect something this much... Thanks

You're welcome

(1) (Reply)

Asus Rog G150jm (500gb/12gb, Corei7, 3gb Gtx745 Nvidia Graphics, Backlit) / HP Probook 640 For Sale / Who Would You Recommend For Writing To Esse?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.