Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,645 members, 7,801,875 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) (25767 Views)

List Of Unresolved Murder Cases In Nigeria (pics) / 19-year-old Trails Ladies, Begs For Sex Inside Toilet / Robber Trails & Shoots Patience Owe, AIT Staff Returning From Shiloh In Bayelsa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 02, 2019
NYTimes Journalist Narrates His Ordeal Trailing A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria

Mr. Jack Nicas, a New York Times journalist, has shared his shocking experience with a scammer whom he trailed his address from Florida to Nigeria.

According to the journalist, he began the trail after a woman identified as Renee Holland was scammed of over $5,000 by a scammer impersonating an handsome American soldier.

Mr. Jack further added that the victim who later discovered that the man she has been sending thousands of dollars to was fake decided to play along with him (the scammer) till he gets exposed.

A link (if clicked would reveal the IP address and location) was sent to the scammer and luckily, the bait worked out. The scammer's location was in Lagos, Nigeria which prompted the journalist to come all the way to Nigeria.

“I went through her receipts. She sent most of her money to people across the U.S. Her scammer told her they were "Army agents." They were in fact money mules who scammers use to launder funds. They can be accomplices or victims themselves,” Jack said.

Jack disclosed how messaged more than 100 scammers for interviews, but most either ignored him or tried to scam he. So he went to the internet cafes, and met one happy to tell his story.

According to Jack, he later discovered that money had ended up in Owerri, and specifically to UBA bank.

Read below;

“Akinola Bolaji has run scams for 20 years. While posing as an American fisherman, he developed a monthslong Facebook romance with a woman. He told her he was stuck in Nigeria and needed a plane ticket. But before she sent money, he was overcome with guilt. He had fallen in love.

He told her the truth. “She cried, cried, cried,” he said. “I feel very bad.” He has since quit love scams because “it damages the heart."

Bolaji later invited us to his place, which was covered with photos of his favorite celebrity, Queen Elizabeth II. "Strong woman," he said.

But we were there to find Renee's and Maria's scammers.

I had confirmed via sources that their money had ended up in Owerri, Nigeria - and, specifically, to this bank.

I obtained four addresses for two men who received their money. I knocked on the doors but all were dead ends.

I got a number linked to two men involved in their scams. When I called, the man hung up. When I texted him, he wrote this. Later, he called: "I'm just a delivery man."

Months later, I called back. The same man answered pretending to be someone else. "You can call me Chris.”

Read full report here; https://foxmeek.com/crime/nytimes-journalist-narrates-his-ordeal-trailing-a-scammer-from-florida-to-nigeria

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 02, 2019

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by segunjowo(m): 7:27am On Aug 02, 2019
Hmmm. And for what? To get your money back?
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Skyfornia(m): 7:27am On Aug 02, 2019
Client
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by nrexzy: 7:35am On Aug 02, 2019
Hehehehe..

Na so d hustle b ooo..

Na us teach naija scam

8 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by gaby(m): 8:19am On Aug 02, 2019
Following the money trail...

1 Like

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by AngelicBeing: 11:37am On Aug 02, 2019
angry
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Lexusgs430: 11:37am On Aug 02, 2019
Paper trail......... A perfect documentary..... Netflix needs to show it....... grin
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Ugosample(m): 11:38am On Aug 02, 2019
Naija I hail o *twale*
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by kponkedenge(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
I know this Bolaji guy very well.

4 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Esomchi800(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
I don't get
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Carlyboi(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
Naija to the world!lol!nigga don turn popular oo the interviewee make boys no go carry am as snitch sha cos yahoo boys And cultism na like 5&6 now

2 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Imstrong2(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
Nice job.. real journalism

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by ednut1(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
Anyone falling for scams in 2019 is a fool. Most are lonely people who say they dont need a husband or wife in their youth. Or those who are quick to divorce over small things. The result is loneliness that won't allow them reason well as they are being scammed

30 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by johnkay1(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
Great work

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Gudiza(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019

1 Like

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Judolisco(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
D guy wasted money in coming to Nigeria without visiting d efcc...

5 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by ebujany(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
this one get time
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by marvin906(m): 11:39am On Aug 02, 2019
segunjowo:
Hmmm. And for what? To get your money back?

he's a journalist learn to read

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by WildChild00(m): 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
Yahoo Yahoo boys
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by FuckThaMod: 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
Oyibo get time, them don chop belleful

3 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by StrikeBack(m): 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
Too bad

Country image Ruined

4 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by MOVIC6: 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
Waste of resources.. Mr journalist to what end

1 Like

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by mcdokwe(m): 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
That is journalism, not the copy and paste stuff we have around

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by atheistandproud(m): 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
He is a jobless idiot.

All the scams worth billions of dollars that Americans are perpetuating. How many e don follow? If you have played from GTA Vice city all the way to GTA V which is a solid satire of American culture and lifestyle, you'll understand that they're the greatest criminals on Earth. But what do I know?

Yahoo boys own sef too much, na so one dey splash people water yesterday, dey play loud music. Na e good for them.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by solmusdesigns: 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
grin

I laugh at hopeless Naija ladies following american feminism and all other western bullcrap, by the time you wake up lonely on your 45th burthday and your only chance at finding love is through a poor english speaking scammer then you go get sense

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Cheryph200(m): 11:40am On Aug 02, 2019
Coming back to comment
Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Offpoint: 11:41am On Aug 02, 2019
Im here to learn and improve in field of specialization....

I'm not clicking no link ain't forward.

Thanks for the tips.

2 Likes

Re: Jack Nicas: Journalist Trails A Scammer From Florida To Nigeria (Pics) by Skibofire(m): 11:41am On Aug 02, 2019

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Who Disguises As A Woman To Steal Car Caught In Edo (Photos) / Motorcyclist Stabbed On Valentine’s Day In Oworonsoki, Lagos / Insecurity: Villagers Stockpile Arms For Self-Defence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.