Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,897 members, 7,802,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:59 AM

My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! (28764 Views)

See How "Stan" The Robot Is Parking Cars At France’s Lyon Airport / My First Trip To Obangogo Mountain In Kabba, Kogi State (Photos) / My Trip To The Asian Side Of Istanbul Turkey Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 4:27pm On Aug 03, 2019
Hi Guys,

In the spirit of the season, I will be detailing my visit to these beautiful cities on a tight budget. Lyon and Chamonix Mont-Blanc are in the South of France while Geneva is in Switzerland.

The beauty of free movement among member states in the Schengen zone cannot be overemphasized as it has created lot of opportunities and revenue for the participating countries. Even Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria have applied to join the zone seeing what other countries are benefiting.

So my journey started from Paris. I booked a Bus from the Bercy Seine Station en-route to Lyon, the trip was about 5 hours and it costs €17.

My plan is to spend a night in Lyon and 2 nights at Geneva with a day return tip to Chamonix since it is just an hour away from Geneva.

So follow me as we explore wink

Pics - Bus to Lyon

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by Nobody: 4:40pm On Aug 03, 2019
following

5 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by MrBrownJay1(m): 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2019
Quick tip
When visiting Geneva, remember that it is a very expensive city, and staying on the French side is cheaper. So get a hotel or place to stay in Ferney Voltaire/Ornex (France) for example, and just commute to Geneva (5mins Uber ride).

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by damtan(m): 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2019
Okada, e don do. Abeg drop me here. I want follow my oga explore

29 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by emeijeh(m): 4:50pm On Aug 03, 2019
Oga driver, abeg drop me, I don chee chumtin

21 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by Whizzcute(m): 4:51pm On Aug 03, 2019
Interesting

3 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by uboma(m): 5:29pm On Aug 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
Quick tip
When visiting Genva, remember that it is a very expensive city, and staying on the French side is cheaper. So get a hotel or place to stay in Ferney Voltaire/Ornex (France) for example, and just commute to Geneva (5mins Uber ride).

You are right. It is expensive to live in Geneva.

14 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 03, 2019
Pics they say speaks more than thousand words..

So keep em pictures rolling kiss

No one should bring any nonsense comparisms here oo sad angry

19 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 6:00pm On Aug 03, 2019
LYON

I am not a big fan of road travel but my stay in this part of the world has changed my orientation towards it so much that i have done a 12-hour bus trip from Paris to Berlin.

So i got to Lyon by 1:30pm and checked in at the Hotel (Hotel De Normandie) which was very close to the Gare (Station) Lyon Perrache. I wanted to go for an Airbnb but the cost between one and a fairly good hotel was not much so i opted for the hotel option.

After resting a bit, i went out to explore the 3rd largest city in the French Republique after Marseille and Paris.

Picture 1 & 2: La Basilique Notre Dame de Fourvière: It was dedicated to the Virgin Mary whom they said saved the city from a plague that swept Europe in 1643 and also, candles are lighted across Lyon in what is called Fête des Lumières (Festival of Lights)
The inside is actually quite beautiful. Mass still holds so one has to be quiet. I am not a Catholic but i wanted to attend a Mass but it was starting late so maybe next time.
Also you can have a good view of the city from the Basilica as it is at the top of a hill and has a dedicated train (Funiculaire) which runs at a steep angle.

Picture 3: Place des Jacobins - it is classified as World Heritage Site by UNESCO and one of the famous in Lyon.

Picture 4: Place des Terreaux - another UNESCO World Heritage Site (Under renovation)

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 6:15pm On Aug 03, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
Quick tip
When visiting Geneva, remember that it is a very expensive city, and staying on the French side is cheaper. So get a hotel or place to stay in Ferney Voltaire/Ornex (France) for example, and just commute to Geneva (5 mins Uber ride).
Yeah, Geneva is quite expensive so it is better you stay in an Airbnb. Hotels are for the rich. Lol. When i calculated the cost of accommodation and commuting from the French area to the city centre, it was almost the same as staying in the city.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by Gerrard59(m): 6:28pm On Aug 03, 2019
Since it's Mr David's thread, I've no other option than to perch.

Following like twitter. cool

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by ednut1(m): 6:52pm On Aug 03, 2019
cool cool

2 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 6:53pm On Aug 03, 2019
Still with Lyon, the first picture is a view of the Basilique Notre Dame from the Street (Vieux Lyon) and as i mentioned earlier, it is at the top of a hill and has a wide view of the whole city.

Picture 2 & 3: Musée des Confluences (Confluence Musuem) - A science and anthropology museum with a beautiful structure which also has a nice viewing centre at the top. It is free to enter but some of the artworks are restricted, so you have to buy a ticket to access it.

Picture 4: Parc de la Tête d'Or (Park of the Golden Head) - it features a lake on which boating takes place during these period (summer) and to rent a boat for 30 mins cost about €25. It can be a good family outing. There is also a small zoo in the park.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by damtan(m): 10:48pm On Aug 03, 2019
davide470:
Still with Lyon, the first picture is a view of the Basilique Notre Dame from the Street (Vieux Lyon) and as i mentioned earlier, it is at the top of a hill and has a wide view of the whole city.

Picture 2 & 3: Musée des Confluences (Confluence Musuem) - A science and anthropology museum with a beautiful structure which also has a nice viewing centre at the top. It is free to enter but some of the artworks are restricted, so you have to buy a ticket to access it.

Picture 4: Parc de la Tête d'Or (Park of the Golden Head) - it features a lake on which boating takes place during these period (summer) and to rent a boat for 30 mins cost about €25. It can be a good family outing. There is also a small zoo in the park.
I could have helped you with your luggage naa. Make I just dey carry am everywhere.
I so love France. I'll tour that beautiful country someday

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by seguno2: 1:28am On Aug 04, 2019
Thanks for the thread, OP.
I hope that you will also share with us about the museums that document vividly their sociocultural, socioeconomic and even physical evolution for us to be inspired to identify parallels with our own history, which we are unfortunately not adequately familiar with.
Will this beautiful thread make the front page? I hope so but I don’t think so.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by Vikkoh(m): 1:50am On Aug 04, 2019
Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by deybholar(f): 1:51am On Aug 04, 2019
Following your thread op.
France is so beautiful!

3 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 10:43am On Aug 04, 2019
After exploring the city of Lyon, it was time to move on to the next destination - Geneva, Switzerland. The distance between both cities is about 2hours 30mins by road and i got a deal of €9 with Eurolines which was quite good.

The journey was actually one of the best i have been in, because of the beautiful sights along the way. Everything was just so structured and pleasant to look at, even the bushes. It was so arranged.

I got to Geneva by 8pm and took a bus to my Airbnb accommodation which is close to the United Nations Office.

Picture: On the road to Geneva from Lyon. I bet that is somebody's village

17 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 12:13pm On Aug 04, 2019
GENEVA - smallest of the big cities

I got to my accommodation and it was beautiful. The host is a couple with a 3 year old son, staying in a 3 bedroom apartment (them get money), so using one of the rooms for Airbnb is really a good strategy. It costs €61 per night (67 CHF - Switzerland uses the Swiss Francs but also accept Euros). Hotels in Geneva are quite expensive! so if you are planning a trip, either go for an Airbnb or get a friend that knows a friend that knows a friend.

I started with the United Nations environs before going into the city centre.

Picture 1 & 2: Broken Chair - It stands across the street from the UN office. It symbolises opposition to land mines and cluster bombs, and acts as a reminder to politicians and others visiting Geneva.

Picture 3: A beautiful fountain close to the Broken Chair. It spurts out water from pores on the floor. A good place to go and do Romeo and Julliet grin

Picture 4: Palais des Nations (United Nations Office)

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by castrokins(m): 12:30pm On Aug 04, 2019
Everything Outside Nigeria Is Beautiful. Who Did We Offend Please?

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 7:22pm On Aug 04, 2019
castrokins:
Nigeria is still a young country. We are getting there

21 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 7:24pm On Aug 04, 2019
damtan:

I could have helped you with your luggage naa. Make I just dey carry am everywhere.
I so love France. I'll tour that beautiful country someday
Lool

Yeah it is. Most people just visit Paris and no where else, but the beauty of France lies majorly outside Paris.

11 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by MrBrownJay1(m): 7:48pm On Aug 04, 2019
davide470:
Lool

Yeah it is. Most people just visit Paris and no where else, but the beauty of France lies majorly outside Paris.

Yes there is a lot a beauty all over France but the biggest/major tourist attractions are mostly located in Paris area. That's why most people 1st want to discover Paris and then if they have enough time, they discover other areas of France.

10 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 7:56pm On Aug 04, 2019
Still in the UN environs, i visited Musée Ariana, also called Swiss Museum of Ceramics and Glass which is purely devoted to ceramic and glass artworks, and it is one of its kind in the world.

A beautiful structure and it only showcase ceramics and glass!? I was as surprised as you were. Picture 1 and 2

The last picture is Moi, thinking about how much money i have left before this city will finish it cheesy. Everything is damn costly. A bottle of water goes for about 4.5 CHF (€4) while the same bottle goes for €1.5 in Paris & Berlin, even MacDonald's charges differently here. The good thing is, the people living here are not complaining much because they get paid well enough to survive in the city.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 11:10pm On Aug 04, 2019
From the UN, i took a bus to the city centre where most of the attractions were.

Geneva has a good transport system as most of its buses and trams are electrically powered and they charge on the go with overhead cable lines (1st picture shows an example of how it works). This system is common in Europe but other cities majorly use for Trams. For Nigeria to get to this point, we need to solve our electricity crises first.

Picture 2 & 3: Jet d'Eau (The Geneva Water Fountain) - It is a fountain in Lake Geneva which shoots water 150 meters into the air. It is one of the city's most famous landmarks and a must see for all visitors. Also, Geneva has mountains surrounding it and some buses actually go towards that route.

17 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by seguno2: 12:33am On Aug 05, 2019
davide470:

Nigeria has been existing since prehistoric times just like France and Switzerland, which have also gone through several changes in their composition over time.

32 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by seguno2: 12:37am On Aug 05, 2019
castrokins:

There are so many beautiful things, places and people in our country. Just keep your eyes and mind open and move around to see them.
Bon voyage.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by davide470(m): 1:19am On Aug 05, 2019
seguno2:

Nigeria has been existing since prehistoric times just like France and Switzerland, which have also gone through several changes in their composition over time.
When i said it is a young country, i meant in terms of technological advancement. Nigeria as a country has not been existing since prehistoric times. We were just clusters of kingdoms in a vast region and people were for the betterment of their kingdoms.

You cannot say the same for these countries. France began a republic in 1792 and the construction of the underground Metro in Paris began in 1898 alongside the many discoveries. Swiss became a country in 1291. These countries also went through "colonization" before they became stand-alone and started their own "colonization".

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by DisGuy: 1:42am On Aug 05, 2019
davide470:

Everyone knows what a young country getting there looks like..... cool

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by DisGuy: 1:44am On Aug 05, 2019
Visiting the Hadron Collider? Missed this when i went

4 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by Nobody: 2:03am On Aug 05, 2019
Jumps into thread.....

7 Likes

Re: My Summer Trip To Lyon, Geneva and Chamonix Mont-Blanc! by seguno2: 3:07am On Aug 05, 2019
davide470:
When i said it is a young country, i meant in terms of technological advancement. Nigeria as a country has not been existing since prehistoric times. We were just clusters of kingdoms in a vast region and people were for the betterment of their kingdoms.

You cannot say the same for these countries. France began a republic in 1792 and the construction of the underground Metro in Paris began in 1898 alongside the many discoveries. Swiss became a country in 1291. These countries also went through "colonization" before they became stand-alone and started their own "colonization".

Surely, Nigeria as a country only existed since 1914.
However the component ethnic groups/nationalities have existed since forever doing internal colonisation like what was going on in Europe and Asia.
Enjoy your trip and please continue sharing the information for our distant education. Cheers

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Refused Canadian Study Permit And No Right To Appeal What Do I Do Pls Advise / Pictures Of the Comissioning Of Tinapa / Victor Adepoju's Wifi-Enabled Taxi In Ghana (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.