Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp (4437 Views)

Funniest Tweets About Facebook, Instagram And WhatsApp Since They Are Down (Pix) / Twitter Throws Subtle Shade At Facebook, Instagram And Whatsapp. / Facebook To Change The Names Of Instagram And Whatsapp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Dotng: 4:59am On Aug 04, 2019
FACEBOOK PUTS ITS STAMP—AND NAME—ON INSTAGRAM AND WHATSAPP

Facebook bought Instagram in 2012 and WhatsApp in 2014. But even today, many users of those apps don’t realize they are part of Mark Zuckerberg's empire. Facebook went to great lengths to allow them to operate as independent brands. There are many "I hate Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. I'm going to Instagram" posts on social media.

The companies had their own CEOs, their own apps and websites, their own office buildings and email addresses. Facebook even allowed WhatsApp employees to have nicer desks and fancier bathrooms.

Friday, Facebook confirmed that the independent era is over. It has told employees that Facebook's ownership of both apps will become clearer. Instagram's app says "Instagram from Facebook" at the bottom of the login page and the settings page. “We want to be clearer about the products and services that are part of Facebook,” said spokeswoman Bertie Thomson. The change was earlier reported by The Information.

The timing of the news, like many things associated with Facebook recently, seemed simultaneously logical and bone-headed.

Zuckerberg has taken steps in the past year to suggest Facebook intended to make WhatsApp and Instagram less independent. He pushed out both companies’ founders and installed Facebook executives. Earlier this year, he said that he would merge their messaging platforms into an encrypted version of Facebook Messenger. In that context, taking the step of making it clearer that Instagram and WhatsApp are part of Facebook makes sense.

Also, much as WhatsApp and Instagram employees and users might not like it, merging the three brands also allows Zuckerberg to say that he’s doing what the world is asking of him. For three years, critics have hammed him for not having better operational control over his empire. Now, he’s asserting control.

What makes the move seem ill-considered is that just last week Facebook confirmed that both the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission are investigating the company for possible antitrust violations. Among the items the agencies are considering: Whether Facebook's purchases of WhatsApp and Instagram were anti-competitive, because they snuffed out potential rivals. It's hard to avoid wondering if Facebook's rebranding exercise isn't some ham-handed effort at convincing government lawyers that three apps are already fused.

Twenty years ago, Microsoft tried to make a similar argument about its Windows operating system and its Internet Explorer browser. The government said Microsoft had illegally tied Explorer to Windows as a way of crushing browser competitor Netscape. Microsoft won the argument on appeal. But it was a grueling four-year fight that hindered Microsoft's ability to innovate for the next decade.

We know that Zuckerberg and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates are friends. You'd think Gates would be advising him not to make this mistake again.

https://www.wired.com/story/facebook-puts-stamp-name-instagram-whatsapp/amp
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Danboyi88(m): 6:41am On Aug 04, 2019
Ok

1 Like

Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Sherry101: 6:51am On Aug 04, 2019
Jiji should have left Olx to run as an independent arm of their business. I've never gotten clients using jiji but since 2014 I've been using olx to sell real estate. Now I'm back to paying newspapers. I'm planning to set up a rival to jiji by the end of the year.

20 Likes

Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Gazzy88(m): 8:34am On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:
Jiji should have left Olx to run as an independent arm of their business. I've never gotten clients using jiji but since 2014 I've been using olx to sell real estate. Now I'm back to paying newspapers. I'm planning to set up a rival to jiji by the end of the year.
How much does the newspaper ads cost please?
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Ejadike(m): 8:57am On Aug 04, 2019
Hmmmm... He should just have left it as independent coys but all of them are successful so nothing spoil.
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Ejadike(m): 9:01am On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:
jiji is just dead on arrival
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by strangest(m): 9:56am On Aug 04, 2019
Ejadike:
jiji is just dead on arrival

Jiji is just messed up, I cant even sell anything on it
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Mr7gWIRELESS: 10:09am On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:
I'm planning to set up a rival to jiji by the end of the year.
hope it won't seem like Linda Ikeji trying to bite off Nairaland ideas?
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by malcom2x(m): 10:29am On Aug 04, 2019
I need a professional app developer or builder.
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Inquisitor2560(m): 10:37am On Aug 04, 2019
Kaduna State Govt Open Portal For Public Service Recruitment 2019 – Apply Now

The Kaduna State Government has announced the commencement of recruitment into the public service of the state. While swearing-in members of the Kaduna State Executive Council on 12th July 2019, Malam Nasir El-Rufai disclosed that the government intends to strengthen the public service by filling the vacancies in its ranks.

The available positions range from entry level (grade level 8 or equivalent) to chief executive (grade level 17 and above) in the core civil service and parastatals of the Kaduna State Government.

Persons interested in a career with the Kaduna State Public Service are invited to submit applications for various positions in the following agencies, among others:

See the details and method of application @

https://gistlink.com.ng/2019/08/02/kaduna-state-govt-open-portal-for-public-service-recruitment-2019-apply-now/
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Kingkun69(m): 10:40am On Aug 04, 2019
strangest:

Jiji is just messed up, I cant even sell anything on it
jij is quite the horrible experience to shop on because most of the goods u buy are fake or in a bad state but still sold for the same
Price which is incredibly stupid I remember one time I brought an iPhone 5s some couple years back like 2014 and it was a clone also one time I brought a ps4 pad and it was also a clone with the paint On the buttons spilling out there should be a separate corner for ppl who want Aba made and the real deal because some ppl like that but it's not my business my own is let me buy my product for how I saw it even on all naija shopping sites very risky maybe it's changed I don't know but that's the last time I used online shopping in naija

But Nairaland gadgets have been very reliable since I started using it for even a cheaper price very impressed
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by ADRIAN88(m): 10:52am On Aug 04, 2019
Dotng:

Facebook bought Instagram in 2012 and WhatsApp in 2014. But even today, many users of those apps don’t realize they are part of Mark Zuckerberg's empire. Facebook went to great lengths to allow them to operate as independent brands. There are many "I hate Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook. I'm going to Instagram" posts on social media.

The companies had their own CEOs, their own apps and websites, their own office buildings and email addresses. Facebook even allowed WhatsApp employees to have nicer desks and fancier bathrooms.

Friday, Facebook confirmed that the independent era is over. It has told employees that Facebook's ownership of both apps will become clearer. Instagram's app says "Instagram from Facebook" at the bottom of the login page and the settings page. “We want to be clearer about the products and services that are part of Facebook,” said spokeswoman Bertie Thomson. The change was earlier reported by The Information.

The timing of the news, like many things associated with Facebook recently, seemed simultaneously logical and bone-headed.

Zuckerberg has taken steps in the past year to suggest Facebook intended to make WhatsApp and Instagram less independent. He pushed out both companies’ founders and installed Facebook executives. Earlier this year, he said that he would merge their messaging platforms into an encrypted version of Facebook Messenger. In that context, taking the step of making it clearer that Instagram and WhatsApp are part of Facebook makes sense.

Also, much as WhatsApp and Instagram employees and users might not like it, merging the three brands also allows Zuckerberg to say that he’s doing what the world is asking of him. For three years, critics have hammed him for not having better operational control over his empire. Now, he’s asserting control.

What makes the move seem ill-considered is that just last week Facebook confirmed that both the Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission are investigating the company for possible antitrust violations. Among the items the agencies are considering: Whether Facebook's purchases of WhatsApp and Instagram were anti-competitive, because they snuffed out potential rivals. It's hard to avoid wondering if Facebook's rebranding exercise isn't some ham-handed effort at convincing government lawyers that three apps are already fused.

Twenty years ago, Microsoft tried to make a similar argument about its Windows operating system and its Internet Explorer browser. The government said Microsoft had illegally tied Explorer to Windows as a way of crushing browser competitor Netscape. Microsoft won the argument on appeal. But it was a grueling four-year fight that hindered Microsoft's ability to innovate for the next decade.

We know that Zuckerberg and Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates are friends. You'd think Gates would be advising him not to make this mistake again.

So we should do what exactly?

Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by dreamworld: 11:52am On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:
Jiji is a scam, they copied a Canadian classified sites known as kijiji.com,

1 Like

Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by BigbamoAYO(m): 12:29pm On Aug 04, 2019
Guys pls support me help me click on that whatsapp link to win 50k
https:///send?phone=8182502042&text=Am%20a%20nairalander%20wanna%20view%20your%20status%20my%20name%20is%20.........
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:

There is no limit to what you can do... Just aim it and work towards it.

Isn't this thesame preaching? We need dialogue to solve Nigeria problems, that dialogue can only come through our various social media pages. The only place everyone can talk and avoid bullets, at least for the main time.

Send me pm, let's talk about this. Mention me on any likely discussion threads.
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by crackhouse(m): 12:36pm On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:
jiji is very useless and they won't listen and take corrections.
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by sparog(m): 1:23pm On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:

Set it up mbok but pls do well to employ me as one of your staff

grin

1 Like

Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by WalkerMichael(m): 1:37pm On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:

Can I join your team sir? I can perfectly handle marketing for you (Facebook & Instagram ads)
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Sherry101: 3:01pm On Aug 04, 2019
Gazzy88:
How much does the newspaper ads cost please?
15k for two listings
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by Gazzy88(m): 3:49pm On Aug 04, 2019
Sherry101:
15k for two listings
Punch? And how is the conversion?
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by posty56: 3:51pm On Aug 04, 2019
Dotng:

mack is a real business man
Re: Facebook Puts Its Stamp—and Name—on Instagram And Whatsapp by trifonov: 3:52pm On Aug 08, 2019
My name is Alex and I'm in charge of making Jiji better all the time. I'm the one who is responsible for all the things you either like or dislike on Jiji. Today I kindly ask you to take part in making Jiji easier.
Which problems have you faced working with Jiji? How our website or app could get better for you?

Feel free to send your thoughts via alex@jiji. ng or WhatsApp/Telegram +2349036658078

(1) (Reply)

Common Whatsapp Scams BUSTED! 125xc, 158xa.com, 321xa.com, free iphone e.t.c / TCL And Hisense: Which Is Best TV Brand / How Do I Download With Opera Mini 8.5?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.