Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,843 members, 7,802,695 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:11 PM

Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment (13244 Views)

Please Help, Anal Abscess Is Making Me Depressed. / Dental Abscess / Live Update On My Hospital Bed (peri-anal Abscess) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Dentalgist: 11:26am On Aug 07, 2019
A dental abscess is a collection of pus that can form inside the teeth, in the gums, or in the bone that holds the teeth in place. It’s caused by a bacterial infection.

There are two types of dental abscess, a gum abscess (also known as a periodontal abscess) and a tooth abscess (also known as a periapical abscess).

It’s important to get help as soon as possible, because abscesses don’t go away on their own. They can sometimes spread to other parts of the body and make you ill.

Causes

Your mouth is full of bacteria, which form a sticky film on your teeth called plaque.

If you don’t keep your teeth clean, acids produced by the bacteria in plaque can damage your teeth and gums, leading to tooth decay or gum disease.

A gum abscess is usually caused by an infection between the tooth and gum. This may occur as a result of food getting trapped or, in cases of severe periodontal disease, when bacteria build up under the gum and in the bone.

A tooth abscess appears at the tip of the tooth’s root and occurs when a tooth’s nerve is dead or dying.

The following can increase your chances of developing a dental abscess:

Poor oral hygiene – plaque can build-up on your teeth if you don’t floss and brush your teeth regularly

Consuming lots of sugary or starchy food and drink – these can encourage the growth of bacteria in plaque and may lead to decay that can result in an abscess

An injury or previous surgery to your teeth or gums – bacteria can get into any damaged parts of the teeth or gums

Having a weakened immune system – this includes people with certain underlying health conditions, such as diabetes, and those having treatment, including steroid or chemotherapy.

Symptoms

Symptoms of an abscess in your tooth or gum may include:

1. an intense, throbbing pain in the affected tooth or gum that may come on suddenly and gets gradually worse

2. pain that spreads to your ear, jaw and neck on the same side as the affected tooth or gum
pain that’s worse when lying down, which may disturb your sleep

3. redness and swelling in your face

4. a tender, discoloured and/or loose tooth
shiny, red and swollen gums

5. sensitivity to hot or cold food and drink
Bad breath and/or an unpleasant taste in your mouth

If the infection spreads, you may also develop a high temperature (fever) and feel generally unwell. In severe cases, you may find it hard to fully open your mouth and have difficulty swallowing or breathing.

Treatments

You should see a dentist as soon as possible if you think you have a dental abscess. Avoid visiting your GP, as there is little they can do to help.

Dental abscesses are treated by removing the source of the infection and draining away the pus.

Depending on the location of the abscess and how severe the infection is, possible treatments include:

Root canal treatment– a procedure to remove the abscess from the root of an affected tooth before filling and sealing it.

removing the affected tooth (extraction) – this may be necessary if root canal treatment isn’t possible

incision and drainage – where a small cut (incision) is made in the gum to drain the abscess (this is usually only a temporary solution and further treatment may be needed)

https://dentalgist.ng/dental-abscess-causes-symptoms-and-treatment

1 Like

Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Mamakimy97: 1:01pm On Aug 07, 2019
Okay
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by drips8(m): 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2019
Jeez

@Op, Add graphic pictures next time

1 Like

Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Dandsome: 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2019
Okay
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by TooMuchStuff: 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2019
Hahahahahah..!

Keep wondering why lunatics and full-time madmen roaming our streets who don't use any toothpastes and toothbrushes are still keeping their 32 teeth intact while the over healthy living apostles are always with dentists to extract tooth and do braces.

15 Likes

Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by tuboi: 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2019
Aaaa
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by omamush(f): 1:02pm On Aug 07, 2019
Toothache one of the worse pains to experience on earth embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by PhenomenalAustin: 1:03pm On Aug 07, 2019
drips8:
Jeez

@Op, Add graphic pictures next time

Seconded biko... Ewwwwww

3 Likes

Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 1:04pm On Aug 07, 2019
Ok good

Check my siggy
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by rosy1992(f): 1:04pm On Aug 07, 2019
THANKS GOD BLESS THE OP FOR THIS EDUCATIVE WRITE-UP.
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by BlackfireX: 1:06pm On Aug 07, 2019
Mouth like Nigeria condition
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by sagaciousblog: 1:08pm On Aug 07, 2019
This is enlightening. Kudos!
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by sagaciousblog: 1:10pm On Aug 07, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Hahahahahah..!

Keep wondering why lunatics and full-time madmen roaming our streets who don't use any toothpastes and toothbrushes are still keeping their 32 teeth intact while the over health living apostles are always with dentists to extract tooth and do braces.

Same way Mad men with sores and other debilitating health conditions don't visit the physician but you wake up one day to find them dead. This is the modern era bruh! And your overall health should be your priority.

8 Likes

Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by uglodoh(f): 1:12pm On Aug 07, 2019
Nice information. There is nothing as painful as toothache.
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Insideout20000: 1:22pm On Aug 07, 2019
I have a very strong mouth odour. Please help me. I keep buying mouthwash every month but it doesn't change anything. Pls help me. It is very urgent..
Will a dentist be the last resort?
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by maishai: 1:25pm On Aug 07, 2019
TooMuchStuff:
Hahahahahah..!

Keep wondering why lunatics and full-time madmen roaming our streets who don't use any toothpastes and toothbrushes are still keeping their 32 teeth intact while the over health living apostles are always with dentists to extract tooth and do braces.

Research is on that will change the current medical paradigm of the germ theory of disease.........as usual the black world is lagging beind reading textbooks........People have also wondered why 12th 13th century people on record never had their baths, hardly brushed their teeth and eat the worst of fooods are still able to maintain more optimal health than we modern people.......

People now buy bacteria for ingestion now as probiotics...

2 Likes

Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by TooMuchStuff: 1:29pm On Aug 07, 2019
sagaciousblog:
Same way Mad men with sores and other debilitating health conditions don't visit the physician but you wake up one day to find them dead. This is the modern era bruh! And your overall health should be your priority.

Bros those real craze people hardly die o.
They live to pretty old age and strong.
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Angelfrost(m): 1:35pm On Aug 07, 2019
TooMuchStuff:

Bros those real craze people hardly die o.
They live to pretty old age and strong.

Our greatest undoing in this age is poor immunity due to over-exposure to medical care and unnecessary administration of drugs (especially antibiotics), coupled with fewer or limited exposure to germs... Go figure.
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Insideout20000: 1:45pm On Aug 07, 2019
Pls I have a strong mouth odour
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by follock007(m): 2:00pm On Aug 07, 2019
Weldon oga dentist... But don't forget to hold on to your end of the privacy policies because i am aware that people especially law enforcers now come to you for a piece of your customers which they use to hack into their database on government computers without legal consent taking advantage of the fact that their office is a direct warrant for their action... i even hear that people now contact hiv after a dental section which is not good for the profession... i thought i should say this because i feel dentists should know their onions too
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Usainbolt138: 2:09pm On Aug 07, 2019
Chai... Apart from bacteria entamoeba gingivalis can cause it... Advisably stay away from kissing � ���
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by LINTUNE(m): 2:13pm On Aug 07, 2019
tongue
Insideout20000:
Pls I have a strong mouth odour
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Insideout20000: 2:14pm On Aug 07, 2019
LINTUNE:
tongue
Pls help me
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by LINTUNE(m): 2:15pm On Aug 07, 2019
Insideout20000:

Pls help me
lol, I'm not a dentist o
Re: Dental Abscess: Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Abanabaoghogho: 2:21pm On Aug 07, 2019
Very informative article.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Whats The Difference Between A Patent Medicine Store, A Medicine Store,pharmacy / NAFDAC Intercepts And Seizes 4*40ft & 1*20ft Containers Of Fake Drugs At Apapa / COVID-19: Guidelines For Burials In Osun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.