Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,259 members, 7,807,894 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:04 PM

Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor (39162 Views)

Elizabeth Abimbola Awoliyi: Nigeria's First Female Medical Doctor / Young Lady To Be Buried On Her Birthday After Tragic Fire Mishap.Graphic Photos / Stop Squeezing Your Woman's Breasts: Medical Doctor Warns Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by okpurukata(f): 3:17pm On Aug 09, 2019
This is an amazing story. Though pathetic. The mother must have suffered a lot of pains, having to lose daughter and husband.
The Nzimiro s must have been great indeed. As a child my grand mother used to refer to Nzimiro a lot. That's why Nzimiro street at old GRA Port Harcourt is there.
RIP ma'am.

6 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 3:28pm On Aug 09, 2019
Ganiyat72:
Pathetic......
Are you from Hausa Tribe
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by nwanyionitsha: 3:48pm On Aug 09, 2019
sogodihno:

Thrash. U are in pained
You are indeed sick for feeling and being so inferior.
Tueh...

1 Like

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by spencekat(m): 3:58pm On Aug 09, 2019
okpurukata:
This is an amazing story. Though pathetic. The mother must have suffered a lot of pains, having to lose daughter and husband.
The Nzimiro s must have been great indeed. As a child my grand mother used to refer to Nzimiro a lot. That's why Nzimiro street at old GRA Port Harcourt is there.
RIP ma'am.
A popular Street at Old GRA.
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by emezuo17: 4:01pm On Aug 09, 2019
1shortblackboy:
is that why there is an Nzimiro street at Amadi flats in PH?
. Likely
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by dominique(f): 4:06pm On Aug 09, 2019
NNEWIsuper:

correction op..she's not the first medical doctor from Igbo land..the first medical doctor from Igbo land is EZEOGO Akanu Ibiam

Female

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by Okoroawusa: 4:36pm On Aug 09, 2019
alphaNomega:

Bro take a look at Nigeria, as long as oil flows beneath our feet there will never be a Biafra. Biafra had it's chance in the late 60s and will forever remain in the history books.

Don't waste ur time with that one

1 Like

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by Okoroawusa: 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2019
Thanks Op,I love history
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by Newmans: 6:38pm On Aug 09, 2019
Never heard about this woman b/4 Nwa ada onye uka idawuodu I know who are thou?
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by g4gerald: 7:05pm On Aug 09, 2019
"The cause of her death was described as unnatural". Village pple sef. Anyway wat do u expect wen ur d first female doctor in ur village. RIP to her
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by Lamanii22(f): 8:13pm On Aug 09, 2019
udomoh:
Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, the first medical doctor from igboland, Eastern Nigeria, her life and times. Ada Nzimiro birth, education, occupation, legacy and death.

To some it was a tragic story, while to me, it was a case of unfinished greatness and a feat that paved the way for the liberation and educational emancipation of the African women in general and the Nigerian women in particular. Becoming a certified medical doctor as at 1950 in a then world and society full of male chauvinists and sexists is not an easy feat. She deserves to be in Nigeria’s hall of fame.

So what do you know about Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, the first female igbo medical doctor?

Below are the few things I was able to gather from scanty sources on the internet and the library.

1. Ada Priscilla Nzimiro was born on the 30th of April, 1923 in Port Harcourt Nigeria.

2. Her parents were Richard Okwosha Nzimiro (father) and Mary Nwametu Onumonu (mother)

3. Her father was the first Mayor of Port Harcourt in 1956 and died in office in 1959 while her mother was described as a “wealthy merchant” that traded in palm oil, salt and European products.

4. Mary Nwametu Onumonu (1898–1993), was a wealthy merchant, political activist, and member of the NCNC who galvanised Igbo women for the Biafran war effort in 1967 and lost all her landed properties in Port Harcourt after the war due to her role in trying to divide the country.

5. Historians were able to trace her family roots or lineage to Oguta, present-day Imo state.

6. She enrolled for university for education in 1945 in Scotland after her secondary education in Nigeria.

7. She attended medical school, had medical training and earned her Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB) in 1950 at the University of Glasgow, Scotland.

8. She was the first woman from Igboland to graduate as a medical doctor.

9. She died tragically just a year after graduation on the 22nd of March, 1951 at the age of 27.

10. She barely practised medicine for 1 year.

11. The cause of her death was described by historians as “unnatural” yet undisclosed causes.

12. Her sudden demise came as a rude shock to her family, friends and well-wishers

13. She was buried a month after in Oguta, present-day Imo state.

14. She was neither married nor engaged while alive. She had no child.

15. Ada Priscilla Nzimiro parents in their benevolence established two schools at Oguta in 1945, one of which is William Wilberforce Academy (WWA), remamed Priscilla Memorial School to honour her memory and preserve her legacy and feat in medicine.

16. As the first female medical doctor from her region, Nzimiro inspired many young women to pursue medicine as a career.

Conclusion: Though she died too early and couldn’t fulfil her promising medical career, she paved the way for the liberation and education of many women dominating different fields of knowledge today. #Respect to an Amazon#

Her picture and the school named after he in present day Imo state below�

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/08/07/ada-priscilla-nzimiro-the-tragic-story-of-the-first-igbo-female-medical-doctor/?amp

Awww this is surreal.... She was beautiful...

2 Likes

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by 9jaRealist: 9:17pm On Aug 09, 2019
udomoh:
Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, the first medical doctor from igboland, Eastern Nigeria, her life and times. Ada Nzimiro birth, education, occupation, legacy and death.

To some it was a tragic story, while to me, it was a case of unfinished greatness and a feat that paved the way for the liberation and educational emancipation of the African women in general and the Nigerian women in particular. Becoming a certified medical doctor as at 1950 in a then world and society full of male chauvinists and sexists is not an easy feat. She deserves to be in Nigeria’s hall of fame.

So what do you know about Ada Priscilla Nzimiro, the first female igbo medical doctor?

Below are the few things I was able to gather from scanty sources on the internet and the library.

1. Ada Priscilla Nzimiro was born on the 30th of April, 1923 in Port Harcourt Nigeria.

2. Her parents were Richard Okwosha Nzimiro (father) and Mary Nwametu Onumonu (mother)

3. Her father was the first Mayor of Port Harcourt in 1956 and died in office in 1959 while her mother was described as a “wealthy merchant” that traded in palm oil, salt and European products.

4. Mary Nwametu Onumonu (1898–1993), was a wealthy merchant, political activist, and member of the NCNC who galvanised Igbo women for the Biafran war effort in 1967 and lost all her landed properties in Port Harcourt after the war due to her role in trying to divide the country.

5. Historians were able to trace her family roots or lineage to Oguta, present-day Imo state.

6. She enrolled for university for education in 1945 in Scotland after her secondary education in Nigeria.

7. She attended medical school, had medical training and earned her Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB) in 1950 at the University of Glasgow, Scotland.

8. She was the first woman from Igboland to graduate as a medical doctor.

9. She died tragically just a year after graduation on the 22nd of March, 1951 at the age of 27.

10. She barely practised medicine for 1 year.

11. The cause of her death was described by historians as “unnatural” yet undisclosed causes.

12. Her sudden demise came as a rude shock to her family, friends and well-wishers

13. She was buried a month after in Oguta, present-day Imo state.

14. She was neither married nor engaged while alive. She had no child.

15. Ada Priscilla Nzimiro parents in their benevolence established two schools at Oguta in 1945, one of which is William Wilberforce Academy (WWA), remamed Priscilla Memorial School to honour her memory and preserve her legacy and feat in medicine.

16. As the first female medical doctor from her region, Nzimiro inspired many young women to pursue medicine as a career.

Conclusion: Though she died too early and couldn’t fulfil her promising medical career, she paved the way for the liberation and education of many women dominating different fields of knowledge today. #Respect to an Amazon#

Her picture and the school named after he in present day Imo state below�

https://nimedhealth.com.ng/2019/08/07/ada-priscilla-nzimiro-the-tragic-story-of-the-first-igbo-female-medical-doctor/?amp

Don’t think that’s why she lost her properties in PH....

Rather, all Ibos lost (or more precisely, were deprived of) their PH properties under Diete-Spiff’s “Abandoned Properties” doctrine, although I think some Ibos may have regained some of their properties years later.
>
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by alphaNomega: 4:50am On Aug 10, 2019
ugotex85:

10 to 20 years from now, Nigeria will no more find buyers for the crude oil that is the cause of our problem in this country, electric cars, fossil fuel and green energy would have dominated the centre stage. Then Britain and their other allies who have kept us as one for the sake of oil will have no more reason to hold us, then we will go and develop the Biafra nation.

You think so, do you know there are countries and industries that still use coal today? Even as dangerous as uranium is, it is still used as fuel in power plants and underwater vessels. I agree demand will drop but it will not be zero unless the last drop of oil has been mined from the well.
Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by ugotex85: 3:54pm On Aug 10, 2019
alphaNomega:

You think so, do you know there are countries and industries that still use coal today? Even as dangerous as uranium is, it is still used as fuel in power plants and underwater vessels. I agree demand will drop but it will not be zero unless the last drop of oil has been mined from the well.
Demand will drop drastically and there is also a possibility of the oil fields running dry. Whichever one comes first, just know that 10 to 20 years from now, crude oil will no longer sustain the Nigerian economy.

1 Like

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by DonAlpacino: 2:58pm On Aug 11, 2019
Nairaland made my day. My Alma Mater. I rep Class of 2009. Indeed I'm proud of the discipline that was inculcated to me for PMSS Oguta. I pray one day I'll make You proud as much as you made me.

Re: Ada Priscilla Nzimiro: The Tragic Story Of The First Igbo Female Medical Doctor by wesleychidi(m): 6:43pm On Mar 22, 2020
1shortblackboy:
is that why there is an Nzimiro street at Amadi flats in PH?
Nzimiro was named after her father who was a mayor of Port Harcourt between 1956 to 1959.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Throat Cancer & MouthAction: Why Men Should Use Fingers & Not Tongue - Dr. Mensah / Lady Survives Fungal Infection Which Came Off An Artificial Nail She Fixed / 23-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Enugu By Hanging (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.