Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,424 members, 7,808,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 PM

Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) (3246 Views)

Should I Stay In Nigeria Or Relocate To New Zealand For Job / I Need A Job... So I Don't Drop Out From School. Please! / Please I'm Really In Need Of A Job So I Can Treat My Sick Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by moneychannel: 5:13pm On Aug 08, 2019
An Alabama college student walked 20 miles in the dark to get to his new job — an act of dedication that inspired the company’s CEO to gift him a car.

Walter Carr, who couldn’t find a ride after his car broke down, started walking from Homewood at midnight in order to arrive at his Bellhops moving job in Pelham by 8 a.m. Friday. Pelham police picked him up around 4 a.m. and took him to breakfast before dropping him off at the home of customer Jenny Lamey.

Lamey said Carr, despite walking for hours, declined her offer to rest and had plenty of energy for the job, according to a GoFundMe page she started to help him with his car troubles.

“I just can’t tell you how touched I was by Walter and his journey. He is humble and kind and cheerful and he had big dreams! He is hardworking and tough,” she wrote on Facebook.

After seeing the Facebook post, Bellhops CEO Luke Marklin drove from Tennessee to Alabama on Monday and presented his dedicated new employee with his personal 2014 Ford Escape.

Both Lamey and Marklin felt compelled to help Carr, who moved to the Birmingham area from New Orleans after he and his mother lost their home in Hurricane Katrina.

“Decisions in your life that are sometimes big and that you make pretty quickly because they’re the right thing to do — and this was one of them,” Marklin told WMBA.

Carr, who hopes to be a US Marine one day, made the late-night journey after his 2003 Nissan Altima broke down. He calculated it would take seven hours to get to his first moving gig with the Bellhops moving company, AL.com reported.

He was trekking along Highway 280 when concerned police officers stopped to check on his well-being. After Carr told them his story, they bought him breakfast before delivering him to Lamey’s home an hour and a half early.

“We all decided, hey, you know, let’s go get him some breakfast and get him somewhere safe,” Officer Mark Knighten told WBMA.

“Proud to have encountered this young man. He certainly made an impact on us,” the Pelham police department tweeted.

Carr says he hopes his story inspires others to fight for what they want out of life, even if it means having sore feet.

“I wanted to show them that I have the dedication and that I always have [it] in my life and that I am going to get to this job one way or the other. I tell people if you think over 20 miles is a lot, then come walk in my shoes because my shoes was really killing me that day,” he said.

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/07/17/student-walks-20-miles-to-new-job-so-ceo-gifts-him-a-car/

3 Likes

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Kingosytex(m): 5:29pm On Aug 08, 2019
The guy is a product of favour and grace, SIMPLE.

4 Likes

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Jayslicky: 5:34pm On Aug 08, 2019
Don't ever try this in Nigeria, the highest reward you will get is handshake from oga.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by EkunKekere: 7:14pm On Aug 08, 2019
Wow
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by OiOi: 7:48pm On Aug 08, 2019
Jayslicky:
Don't ever try this in Nigeria, the highest reward you will get is handshake from oga.
handshake? Handshake from who?

2 Likes

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by AK6464(m): 8:09pm On Aug 08, 2019
kk
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by judgementyard(m): 8:32pm On Aug 08, 2019
That's a society that appreciates hardworking and dedicated citizens.
Congratulations cheesy

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Zi: 8:51pm On Aug 08, 2019
moneychannel:

Walter Carr, who couldn’t find a ride after his car broke down, started walking from Homewood at midnight in order to arrive at his Bellhops moving job in Pelham by 8 a.m. Friday. Pelham police picked him up around 4 a.m. and took him to breakfast before dropping him off at the home of customer Jenny Lamey.

Source: https://nypost.com/2018/07/17/student-walks-20-miles-to-new-job-so-ceo-gifts-him-a-car/

An institution built to serve! Sane people kiss kiss kiss

2 Likes

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by encryptjay(m): 9:27pm On Aug 08, 2019
I just knew that the news cannot emanate from Nigeria grin

2 Likes

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by kernniejay(m): 9:50pm On Aug 08, 2019
Nigeria police would rather arrest him and tag him a suspect walking in the dark to steal, while his Nigerian employer would also decline him the job saying he would be coming late to work and wont have strength to perform after trekking.
Nigeria is going backwards everyday.

1 Like

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by SKhanmi: 10:22pm On Aug 08, 2019
Smh,Made me reflect on being a Nigerian. So many odds we set up for ourselves here. See how they reinforced and endorsed his values. But naija...
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Chubhie: 10:49pm On Aug 08, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
DEFINITELY CAN'T BE NIGERIA. A CEO WILL HUG YOU LIKE THIS? FOR WHAT!!
WHEN ORDINARY WHATSAPP ADMIN FEEL LIKE GODS.
undecided
Ordinary Nairaland mod go ban you enter year 3135

2 Likes

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Chubhie: 10:51pm On Aug 08, 2019
kernniejay:
Nigeria police would rather arrest him and tag him a suspect walking in the dark to steal, while his Nigerian employer would also decline him the job saying he would be coming late to work and wont have strength to perform after trekking.
Nigeria is going backwards everyday.
That's if he's lucky to escape kidnappers for ransom or ritualists...

1 Like

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Nobody: 12:08am On Aug 09, 2019
CHARACTERISTICS of a BLACKMAN;
- dirty
- crafty
- greedy
- wasteful
- religious
- unkempt.
- tribalistic.
- impatient.
- aggressive
- destructive.
- wickedness
- complicated.
- shortsighted.
- disorganized.
- loud mouthed.
- proud and empty.
For the TRUTH will always be bitter

1 Like

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by iamgprince: 12:43am On Aug 09, 2019
EVILFOREST:
CHARACTERISTICS of a BLACKMAN; - dirty - crafty - greedy - wasteful - religious - unkempt. - tribalistic. - impatient. - aggressive - destructive. - wickedness - complicated. - shortsighted. - disorganized. - loud mouthed. - proud and empty. For the TRUTH will always be bitter

not all but many
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 09, 2019
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by davillian(m): 9:05am On Aug 09, 2019
Must he walk ?
No transport ?
No lift ?
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Robisky001(m): 9:47am On Aug 09, 2019
Determination coupled with grace. Oluwa let this kind of favour enmeshed me oh Lord.
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by nazicartel(m): 11:13am On Aug 09, 2019
cool
Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by Wiseandtrue(f): 3:22pm On Aug 09, 2019
judgementyard:
That's a society that appreciates hardworking and dedicated citizens.
Congratulations cheesy
A working nation!!! Buhari being thinking of how to add to the problems of Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Student Walks 20 Miles To New Job – So CEO Gifts Him A Car (pics) by handsomebanana(m): 10:02pm On Aug 09, 2019
EVILFOREST:
CHARACTERISTICS of a BLACKMAN;
- dirty
- crafty
- greedy
- wasteful
- religious
- unkempt.
- tribalistic.
- impatient.
- aggressive
- destructive.
- wickedness
- complicated.
- shortsighted.
- disorganized.
- loud mouthed.
- proud and empty.
For the TRUTH will always be bitter

You are a stupid self hating retard

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

INEC Exam Past Questions And Answers - PDF Download / Intercontinental Test Update / First Bank Aptitude Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.