Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,222 members, 7,807,747 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:23 PM

Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour (2609 Views)

On This Day: Murtala Mohammed Was Shot Dead In His Mercedes Benz (PHOTOS) / Photos Of Tanko Mohammed, The Acting Chief Justice Of Nigeria / Photo Of AIG Abubakar Adamu Mohammed, The New Inspector-general Of Police (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by gidgiddy: 3:52pm On Aug 09, 2019
Nigeria's most important Airport is named after him. He has major roads named after him. He has lectures and symposiums named after him. In the 1970's, after he was assassinated, his picture was introduced on the N20 note.

So what did Murtala Ramat Mohammed do to deserve all these honours?

He terrorised people!

Born in Kano, Murtala Mohammed attended Barewa college and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, England, and was commissioned an officer in 1961. In July 1966, Major Murtala Mohammed started his career in terrorism. He led a coup that killed the head of state, Governor of the Western Region and over 300 military officers from the Eastern Region. After the coup, Northern Soldiers went on to start killing Igbos in the North and this green lighted a pogrom in which over 50,000 Igbos were murdered

Murtala's thirst for blood continued into 1967 when he was made GOC of the Second division during the Biafran war. Murtala Mohammed ordered the summary execution of all captured Biafran Soldiers, which is a war crime. This act has since been confirmed by General Isola Williams and General Akinrinade, both of whom are still alive. Murtalas Second division also committed the Asaba genocide where over 700 men were lined up and gunned down for no reason.

Murtala Mohammed's second division was eventually completely destroyed at Abagana by Biafran troops and Murtala Mohammed was recalled from the war.

On 30th July 1975, 9 years after he mounted his ethnic cleansing coup, Murtala Mohammed mounted his second coup that overthrew Yakubu Gowon. Nigerians were to witness 200 days of military terrorism under Murtala Mohammed's regime. Murtala Mohammed started by retiring all those above him in rank. Then in a display of crass military indiscipline, he tripple promoted himself from a one star General to a full 4 star General. Murtala then went on a purge of anyone who was close the previous regime and sacked over 11,000 civil servants without benefits.

Murtala Mohammed then siezed control of the two largest newspapers in the country and made broadcasting a federal monopoly so as to censor the press. In a move designed to increase the the influence of his fellow Northerners, Murtala Mohammed announced the movement of the capital from Lagos to Abuja. Murtala Mohammed was killed on 13 February 1976 in a coup led by Lt Col Buka Suka Dimka.

In summary, Murtala Mohammed was a cold blooded killer, terrorist, genocidist, ethnic bigot, failed military officer, coup plotter, war criminal and military dictator.

This is not a man anybody in their right senses should honour. He was evil

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by jafol(m): 4:02pm On Aug 09, 2019
Of course Igbos keep wailing ����

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Guestlander: 4:07pm On Aug 09, 2019
50 years on! The pain is real. Why then are the Igbos looking for another war? So they can cry for another 100 years?

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2019
Guestlander:
50 years on! The pain is real. Why then are the Igbos looking for another war? So they can cry for another 100 years?

Can you fight?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by GMbuharii: 4:09pm On Aug 09, 2019
jafol:

Stop messing,thank you.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by GMbuharii: 4:11pm On Aug 09, 2019
gidgiddy:
Nigeria's most important Airport is named after him. He has major roads named after him. He has lectures and symposiums named after him. In the 1970's, after he was assassinated, his picture was introduced on the N20 note.

So what did Murtala Ramat Mohammed do to deserve all these honours?

He terrorised people!

Born in Kano, Murtala Mohammed attended Barewa college and the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, England, and was commissioned an officer in 1961. In July 1966, Major Murtala Mohammed started his career in terrorism. He led a coup that killed the head of state, Governor of the Western Region and over 300 military officers from the Eastern Region. After the coup, Northern Soldiers went on to start killing Igbos in the North and this green lighted a pogrom in which over 50,000 Igbos were murdered

Murtala's thirst for blood continued into 1967 when he was made GOC of the Second division during the Biafran war. Murtala Mohammed ordered the summary execution of all captured Biafran Soldiers, which is a war crime. This act has since been confirmed by General Isola Williams and General Akinrinade, both of whom are still alive. Murtalas Second division also committed the Asaba genocide where over 700 men were lined up and gunned down for no reason.

Murtala Mohammed's second division was eventually completely destroyed at Abagana by Biafran troops and Murtala Mohammed was recalled from the war.

On 30th July 1975, 9 years after he mounted his ethnic cleansing coup, Murtala Mohammed mounted his second coup that overthrew Yakubu Gowon. Nigerians were to witness 200 days military terrorism under Murtala Mohammed's regime. Murtala Mohammed started by retiring all those above him in rank. Then in a display of crass military indiscipline, he tripple promoted himself from a one star General to a full 4 star General. Murtala then went on a purge of anyone who was close the previous regime and sacked over 11,000 civil without benefits.

Murtala Mohammed then siezed control of the two largest newspapers in the country and broadcasting a federal monopoly so as censor the press. In a move designed to increase the the influence of his fellow Northerners, Murtala Mohammed announced the movement of the capital from Lagos to Abuja. Murtala Mohammed was killed on 13 February 1976 in a coup led by Lt Col Buka Suka Dimka.

In summary, Murtala Mohammed was a cold blooded killer, terrorist, genocidist, ethnic bigot, failed military officer, coup plotter, war criminal and military dictator.

I used to ask same question....I don't see any reason why his picture would be on any denomination..that guy was a murderer and war criminal.

I hear he's from Auchi,that was my own then Bendel state... tufiakwa!!

Lzaa immhotep

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Oksman(m): 4:12pm On Aug 09, 2019
jafol:

His write up has nothing to do with wailing, give us a pro view or leave the thread! We are here to learn.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Guestlander: 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Can you fight?

Especially if you rant all day about things that happened before you were born. I believe a few slaps could reset you to factory default.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by jafol(m): 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2019
Oksman:

His write up has nothing to do with wailing, give us a pro view or leave the thread! We are here to learn.
You r not learning shit but posting hateful thread to suit yourself.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2019
Guestlander:

Especially if you rant all day about things that happened before you were born. I believe a few slaps could reset you to factory default.

Can you fight?

or have u heard u guys fought before?

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Charleys: 4:15pm On Aug 09, 2019
6000 Malian miners in Osun state mining skulls. Or what else does Osun state have.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by jafol(m): 4:17pm On Aug 09, 2019
GMbuharii:

Stop messing,thank you.
Correction it’s stop farting thank your Yoruba lord
Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Guestlander: 4:19pm On Aug 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Can you fight?

or have u heard u guys fought before?

You are asking a dumb question. You don't even know me from anywhere and you are asking me if I can fight. Whether I say yes or no, you have absolutely no means of finding out.
Internet chitchat doesn't qualify as a fight.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Nobody: 4:21pm On Aug 09, 2019
Guestlander:

You are asking a dumb question. You don't even know me from anywhere and you are asking me if I can fight. Whether I say yes or no, you have absolutely no means of finding out.
Internet chitchat doesn't qualify as a fight.

Next.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Guestlander: 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2019
Osagyefo98:

Next.

Yeah, another day another wailing session.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Oksman(m): 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2019
jafol:

You r not learning shit but posting hateful thread to suit yourself.

Most of what he wrote there are new to me. I need you to counter his submissions and not dismissing them with a wave of the hand, doesn't sound intelligent.

7 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Nobody: 4:24pm On Aug 09, 2019
Guestlander:

Yeah, another day another wailing session.
noted next

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by GMbuharii: 4:24pm On Aug 09, 2019
jafol:

Correction it’s stop farting thank your Yoruba lord

I said stop messing around. Only you know what " farting" is o....
Can you please explain to us with examples and action and demonstrations?

Lzaa Biko bia o

grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by jafol(m): 4:27pm On Aug 09, 2019
GMbuharii:

Lzaa Biko bia o

grin
Just say thank you my Yoruba lord n stop deflecting

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by tunjiajayi: 5:38pm On Aug 09, 2019
Usual victim perspective.

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:43pm On Aug 09, 2019
gidgiddy:

He terrorised people!

He led a coup that killed the head of state, Governor of the Western Region and over 300 military officers from the Eastern Region. After the coup, Northern Soldiers went on to start killing Igbos in the North and this green lighted a pogrom in which over 50,000 Igbos were murdered

Murtalas Second division also committed the Asaba genocide where over 700 men were lined up and gunned down for no reason.

On 30th July 1975, 9 years after he mounted his ethnic cleansing coup, Murtala Mohammed mounted his second coup that overthrew Yakubu Gowon. Nigerians were to witness 200 days military terrorism under Murtala Mohammed's regime.

I like the way history has been re-introduced!!!

But Instead of writing about this blood thirsty man why not write in honour of Lt Col Buka Suka Dimka who saved this country back then

Perhaps your write-up will inspire and encourage another Lt Col Buka Suka Dimka to save us from Buhari undecided

5 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Nobody: 5:44pm On Aug 09, 2019
i have asked this question on this platform b4 and no won has been able to give me a convincing and satisfying answer. If major kaduna who killed and spearheaded the killings of many officers that resulted to the civil war is branded a hero, then why is gen murtala muhammed called a terrorist.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Wiseandtrue(f): 5:55pm On Aug 09, 2019
Guestlander:
Did you read where the OP mentioned that :
gidgiddy:

Abi na to make mouth you know

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by KingsCity: 6:06pm On Aug 09, 2019
@ OP, you dont need to worry

He is rotting in hell
Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Guestlander: 6:24pm On Aug 09, 2019
Wiseandtrue:

Did you read where the OP mentioned that :

Abi na to make mouth you know

No victor, no vanquished. It was a war.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by obynno7(m): 7:07pm On Aug 09, 2019
sooner or Meter I believe that bastard coup plotter name will be removed from 20naira note and Ikeja Airport will reclaim it initial name

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:12pm On Aug 09, 2019
Ray97:
i have asked this question on this platform b4 and no won has been able to give me a convincing and satisfying answer. If major kaduna who killed and spearheaded the killings of many officers that resulted to the civil war is branded a hero, then why is gen murtala muhammed called a terrorist.

Critics say the coup was to ensure that the Igbos hold on power. They acknowledge that Nzeogwu was a brave man and a good tactician, considering the way he carried out the task allotted to him in the botched coup. But, they say he was a biased hero, who failed to finish the job of killing top eastern politicians and military officers. One of such critics who does not want his name in print added: “If he had faithfully eliminated all the top politicians, irrespective of their tribes, his neutrality would have enhanced his image as a crusader against corrupt politicians. He would have been up there with the likes like Fidel Castro and Ernesto Che Guevara, the Argentine-born Cuban revolutionary. Unfortunately, he got disillusioned and fell for that evil called tribalism. My conclusion is he was a rebel without a cause and that is where he lost it.”

But, a more charitable account of the story is that Nzeogwu was only responsible for the execution of the coup in the North, which he did faithfully, working with Northern military officers. His colleagues colleagues who had the responsibility of carrying the plan in the south – Maj. Emmanuel Ifeajuna, Maj. Adewale Adegboyega, Major Donatus Okafor and the others – failed to execute their own part of the bargain faithfully

.https://www.google.com/amp/thenationonlineng.net/nzeogwu-hero-or-villain/amp/

Nzeogwu was a crusader fighting to eliminate the cancer of corruption still ravaging the country today. The write up of Murtala showed a blood thirsty murderer killing to satisfy his thirst. Totally different scenarios.

Finito.

2 Likes

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by PaChukwudi44(m): 7:16pm On Aug 09, 2019
The butcher of Asaba!! May your evil soul rot in hell!! A murderer!! Failed soldier!!
Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 09, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Critics say the coup was to ensure that the Igbos hold on power. They acknowledge that Nzeogwu was a brave man and a good tactician, considering the way he carried out the task allotted to him in the botched coup. But, they say he was a biased hero, who failed to finish the job of killing top eastern politicians and military officers. One of such critics who does not want his name in print added: “If he had faithfully eliminated all the top politicians, irrespective of their tribes, his neutrality would have enhanced his image as a crusader against corrupt politicians. He would have been up there with the likes like Fidel Castro and Ernesto Che Guevara, the Argentine-born Cuban revolutionary. Unfortunately, he got disillusioned and fell for that evil called tribalism. My conclusion is he was a rebel without a cause and that is where he lost it.”

But, a more charitable account of the story is that Nzeogwu was only responsible for the execution of the coup in the North, which he did faithfully, working with Northern military officers. His colleagues colleagues who had the responsibility of carrying the plan in the south – Maj. Emmanuel Ifeajuna, Maj. Adewale Adegboyega, Major Donatus Okafor and the others – failed to execute their own part of the bargain faithfully

.https://www.google.com/amp/thenationonlineng.net/nzeogwu-hero-or-villain/amp/

Nzeogwu was a crusader fighting to eliminate the cancer of corruption still ravaging the country today. The write up of Murutala showed a blood thirsty murderer killing to satisfy his thirst. Totally different scenarios.

Finito.
exactly my point History books does not depict murtala muhammed as a terrorist either.

1 Like

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 8:05pm On Aug 09, 2019
To hell with his country.
Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by Mightyhaiz: 8:16pm On Aug 09, 2019
Sane countries honor democrats,researchers/inventors,great philosophers and philanthropists,...Nigeria honors all kinds of misanthropist murderers,terrorists,genocidists,known thieves and what have u,...and u wonder why the country is cursed!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Murtala Mohammed: The Terrorist Nigeria Chose To Honour by splendour7(m): 8:24pm On Aug 09, 2019
GMbuharii:

Lzaa Biko bia o

grin
hahahaha The Guy Mean You Should Stop Farting Around,lolz! All These Over Sabi Pple Wey Full Nairaland!!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Supreme Court Gives Reasons For Dismissing Ihedioha’s Application For Review / Covid 19 Pandemic Is A Scam In Nigeria / They Build Factories And We Build Churches, They Pay Taxes And We Pay Tithe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.