Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:38 PM

Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? (10597 Views)

Opposition Parties Claim Majority In House Of Representatives, First Time Ever / APC Is Still The Majority In The Senate - Ahmed Lawan (See Full List) / APC Loses Majority In National Assembly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by chijiblaze(m): 4:51am On Aug 10, 2019
agboghai:

No Sir. If not for General Babaginda, the capital of Delta State would have been situated at Ughelli(an Urohbo town) since they are the majority. I am saying this without sentiment. I am from the Igbo speaking part though.

But Babangida is no longer in power after he had stepped aside since 1993. If IBB is the reason why Asaba is the capital of Delta State, why haven't Delta politicians of influence (or affluence) particularly of Urhobo extraction done the necessary to move the capital city to wherever they wish, an Urohbo town for example?

9 Likes

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by agboghai: 6:25am On Aug 10, 2019
chijiblaze:

But Babangida is no longer in power after he had stepped aside since 1993. If IBB is the reason why Asaba is the capital of Delta State, why haven't Delta politicians of influence (or affluence) particularly of Urhobo extraction done the necessary to move the capital city to wherever they wish, an Urohbo town for example?
A very good morning to you my brother. It would be difficult for the capital to be moved to an Urohbo town now for two major reasons.
1. It would generate a serious crisis in the state. Politically, Socially and Economically, this would not be the best for the state.
2. Most importantly, the creation of the state and its capital was from a military decree. It would require another for it to be moved, and such is not the problem of the state to be clamoring for now.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by cheruv: 6:40am On Aug 10, 2019
horsepower101:
Indigenously, I think it’s Urhobo, but Anioma land has seen the influx of igbos from all over igbo land come an join them over the years. This has boosted the population of Anioma igbos.

Asaba saw the biggest influx but other surrounding anioma towns and villages are also witnessing the influx of igbos from all over.

We need Anioma state which should have been created 30 years ago.

Anịọma was depopulated sort of during the flu years 1919-1921, shortly after coming out from defeat in the ekumeku war(1883-1914)...so it is necessary that Igbos from the densely populated SE move in to boost their population and strengthen the anịọma identity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Iriruaga100(m): 9:29am On Aug 10, 2019
chijiblaze:

See and count for yourself!

This map is not accurate... Urhobos are the majority owners of warri south, ijaws have some communities in warri south west while itsekiri's owns warri north..

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by legitnow: 9:36am On Aug 10, 2019
fratermathy:

Totally wrong. One, you don't measure population by the number of local government areas. Two, Urhobos are established well in Warri South LGA as a majority and in Patani as a minority. Three, Isoko has two LGAs. If you count the LGAs where Urhobos can be found ONLY in Delta State, you have a total of 10! If you add Isoko, then you have 12!

Apart from the LGAs, Urhobos have been authenticated by both the national census and voting strength as the most populous ethnic group in the state.

@Op: Population alone doesn't determine influence. In terms of influence, Urhobos are not resolute enough to have ample influence. Urhobos lack unity and that is their greatest undoing. Fortunately, nobody can ignore the population of the Urhobos.

Most importantly, I don't see any good that can come out of this post.

The post is working fine, cause u to kill urselves.
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by legitnow: 9:38am On Aug 10, 2019
Efewestern:

Combined with Isoko it's 10 LGA (excluding Urhobos in Warri South), besides when does having more LGAs translate to population? Urhobo LGAs are densely populated and highly urbanized, and the average Urhobo man is polygamous in Nature, reason for their population.

After u inflate your population, you relocate to atlantic ocean to live on-top water.

In case, you dont know, land distribution is fixed.
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by legitnow: 9:40am On Aug 10, 2019
Osagyefo98:
Sometimes you will totally agree that most of these children on nairaland did pass an average waec level. Majority just bought phone, login to nairaland and boom chatting starts.

There are high degree of irrelevant questions that a sound mind should ignore or at least direct the person asking such to utilise facilities available to him in finding his answers.

We have population or should I say census data of each state and each local govt as at. 2006.

We have age long InEC data and voting strength of each region from 2007 to 2019 as it is been updated

Delta state on her own have classified data and public figures of thier own population and according to district.

Even the Internet and various journals and articles are here.

Instead of making use of data available to them, look at what they are doing and after they will. Blame buhari for looking for his waec certificate when their own can't be useful in their brain.

This forum is simply not a serious minded one.

They talk like children.

Imagine a situation where Massacre never took place in Anioma, do u think they will have such a small population but massive land mass?

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by AntiBalaka: 10:35am On Aug 10, 2019
jieta:
political voice where, the only tribe I think have a little political voice than urhobo is the anioma and that was during the last dispensation apart from that we have taken our rightful place and well place to become the next governor of delta state.

Apart from parts of Warri and Koko Island, itsekiris own no land in Delta.

They are traitors and back stabbers.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Charleys: 10:45am On Aug 10, 2019
legitnow:

They talk like children.

Imagine a situation where Massacre never took place in Anioma, do u think they will have such a small population but massive land mass?

The generation of massacre are all dead.
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by OgaBuhari: 3:05pm On Aug 10, 2019
ovadozes:
Deltans are the majority in Delta...
lol
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Charleys: 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2019
OgaBuhari:
lol

grin
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by 9jakool: 6:56am On Aug 15, 2019
chijiblaze:

Not really.
The Anioma-Igbo group has a total of nine 9⃣ local government areas. Whereas the Urhobo, even when combined with the Isoko only have eight 8⃣.
So it is clear which of them is the majority.

The Urhobo LGAs are more populated on average though. This is a run down of the last Nigerian census statistics by percentages:

Combined Predominant Urhobo LGAs: 38.2%
Anioma: 31.5%
Isoko: 9.2%

It's important to know that this data includes non-indigenes of those regions as well. I also didn't include the Urhobo population of Warri South and other LGAs in the state. At least 40% of Delta state should be Urhobo which if combined with Isoko, the combined Urhobo-Isoko percentage should be close to half of the state's population.
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Charleys: 3:15am On Aug 16, 2019
9jakool:

The Urhobo LGAs are more populated on average though. This is a run down of the last Nigerian census statistics by percentages:

Combined Predominant Urhobo LGAs: 38.2%
Aniocha: 31.5%
Isoko: 9.2%

It's important to know that this data includes non-indigenes of those regions as well. I also didn't include the Urhobo population of Warri South and other LGAs in the state. At least 40% of Delta state should be Urhobo which if combined with Isoko, the combined Urhobo-Isoko percentage should be close to half of the state's population.

How true is this?
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Nowenuse: 2:51am On Aug 17, 2019
Iriruaga100:

This map is not accurate... Urhobos are the majority owners of warri south, ijaws have some communities in warri south west while itsekiri's owns warri north..

Are you sure Urhobos are the majority in Warri south? I thought they have only 3 wards in Warri south LGA? Which are Okere-Urhobo, Agbassa & Edjeba? Itsekiris should be the majority in Warri south from what I see.

Both Warri south-west and Warri north have Itsekiri & Ijaw communities side by side, but I think Itsekiris are the majority in both with like 65% of the population.
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Nowenuse: 3:12am On Aug 17, 2019
fratermathy:

Totally wrong. One, you don't measure population by the number of local government areas. Two, Urhobos are established well in Warri South LGA as a majority and in Patani as a minority. Three, Isoko has two LGAs. If you count the LGAs where Urhobos can be found ONLY in Delta State, you have a total of 10! If you add Isoko, then you have 12!

Apart from the LGAs, Urhobos have been authenticated by both the national census and voting strength as the most populous ethnic group in the state.

@Op: Population alone doesn't determine influence. In terms of influence, Urhobos are not resolute enough to have ample influence. Urhobos lack unity and that is their greatest undoing. Fortunately, nobody can ignore the population of the Urhobos.

Most importantly, I don't see any good that can come out of this post.

Yes Urhobos are the majority in Delta state followed by Anioma. Infact, I think Urhobos & Isokos combined are like 50% of Delta state indigenously or slightly more. But I think if you use based on citizenship (indigenes + settlers) in Delta state, Igbo would be quite much due to the large number of South-eastern Igbos added to Aniomas.

My main question for you is on Warri south please. Apparently Warri south (the main Warri) is dominated by Itsekiris. I thought Urhobos were only found in Okere-Urhobo, Edjeba & Agbassa in Warri south, so how could they be the majority?

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by fratermathy(m): 9:26am On Aug 17, 2019
Nowenuse:

Yes Urhobos are the majority in Delta state followed by Anioma. Infact, I think Urhobos & Isokos combined are like 50% of Delta state indigenously or slightly more. But I think if you use based on citizenship (indigenes + settlers) in Delta state, Igbo would be quite much due to the large number of South-eastern Igbos added to Aniomas.

My main question for you is on Warri south please. Apparently Warri south (the main Warri) is dominated by Itsekiris. I thought Urhobos were only found in Okere-Urhobo, Edjeba & Agbassa in Warri south, so how could they be the majority?

Warri South has two very large Urhobo kingdoms and a high population of Urhobos. Itsekiris do not dominate Warri. That's not true. They have their areas though but I doubt if they have the same population as the Urhobos there. The domination may be political and that is understandable as they have just three local government areas to contend with and of the three, one is arguably dominated by the Ijaws. The most densely populated areas in Warri are peopled by the Urhobos.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Iriruaga100(m): 9:52am On Aug 17, 2019
Nowenuse:

Are you sure Urhobos are the majority in Warri south? I thought they have only 3 wards in Warri south LGA? Which are Okere-Urhobo, Agbassa & Edjeba? Itsekiris should be the majority in Warri south from what I see.

Both Warri south-west and Warri north have Itsekiri & Ijaw communities side by side, but I think Itsekiris are the majority in both with like 65% of the population.

Three wards I will have to verify this from the council headquarter.. We have two members representing warri south at the state assembly, one for urhobos and the other for the itsekiris...
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by DonJossydirich(m): 10:27am On Aug 17, 2019
Efewestern:
Urhobo is the major ethnic group in Delta State, and also a major voice in the region. Anioma is the second largest, followed by either Isoko, itsekiri or Ijaw.
When did Urhobo became the major ethnic group in Delta State. Anioma is a major factor in everything in Delta State...It's just that both the Urhobos,the Itsekiris,the Isokos and the Ijaws, always gang-up against the people of Anioma,in everything in Delta State.
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by DonJossydirich(m): 10:30am On Aug 17, 2019
agboghai:

A very good morning to you my brother. It would be difficult for the capital to be moved to an Urohbo town now for two major reasons.
1. It would generate a serious crisis in the state. Politically, Socially and Economically, this would not be the best for the state.
2. Most importantly, the creation of the state and its capital was from a military decree. It would require another for it to be moved, and such is not the problem of the state to be clamoring for now.
Then,forever hold your peace!
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Heffalump(m): 10:34am On Aug 17, 2019
doctore212:
I think Idomas make about 75%

I thought as much because they occupy 11 LGA's out of the official 25. Idomas are even the second largest ethnic group in Nigeria cheesygrin
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by armstrongkevwe: 11:57am On Aug 17, 2019
richmind2019:

Name the highest position of an uhrobo man

Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly.
FYI zoning has it dat by 2023 elections d governorship position is going to Delta central
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by armstrongkevwe: 12:03pm On Aug 17, 2019
chijiblaze:

Not really.
The Anioma-Igbo group has a total of nine 9⃣ local government areas. Whereas the Urhobo, even when combined with the Isoko only have eight 8⃣.
So it is clear which of them is the majority.

Urhobo land has 8 LGAs ,if we include the 2 LGAs of the isokos it becomes 10, I think u re not a deltan and has never stayed there that's why u re ill informed

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by sexiestharam(f): 12:27pm On Aug 17, 2019
I read through this thread and I was so pissed! Firstly, why are people adding Isoko LGAs to the urhobo population? It is a very silly thing to do. The isokos are a completely different ethnic group. Fine, urhobo and Isoko share a lot of similarities in dressing, culture and language structure but they are different! Why don't people add Esan's 5 LGAs to Bini's LGAs when counting as well?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by weownlagos: 3:02pm On Aug 17, 2019
leofab:
dont mind him; A(Aniocha) N(Ndokwa) I(Ika) OMA(Good) (Good People of ....). They are Igbos
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by gidgiddy: 3:48pm On Aug 17, 2019
sexiestharam:
I read through this thread and I was so pissed! Firstly, why are people adding Isoko LGAs to the urhobo population? It is a very silly thing to do. The isokos are a completely different ethnic group. Fine, urhobo and Isoko share a lot of similarities in dressing, culture and language structure but they are different! Why don't people add Esan's 5 LGAs to Bini's LGAs when counting as well?

Secondly, Google is our friend. No need to argue. There are official statistics of our number in Delta state. Urhobo largest, Anioma second, Isoko third, Ijaw fourth and Itsekiri comes last. Forget about the noise our itsekiri brothers make. They are the least tribe in population numbers but the noisiest.

There is no tribe in Nigeria called "Anioma"

4 Likes

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by kadiri3(m): 5:15pm On Aug 17, 2019
doctore212:
I think Idomas make about 75%
IN DELTA? U SMOKE WEED?
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Nowenuse: 7:56pm On Aug 17, 2019
DonJossydirich:
When did Urhobo became the major ethnic group in Delta State. Anioma is a major factor in everything in Delta State...It's just that both the Urhobos,the Itsekiris,the Isokos and the Ijaws, always gang-up against the people of Anioma,in everything in Delta State.

No pls Urhobos are the majority in Delta state. I am originally from the middlebelt but I was born and bred in Delta state. Aniomas are the 2nd largest. It is not a matter of gang up. Delta state uses a senatorial rotation system for governorship. So, nothing like conspiracies among tribes.
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Nowenuse: 8:08pm On Aug 17, 2019
sexiestharam:

Secondly, Google is our friend. No need to argue. There are official statistics of our number in Delta state. Urhobo largest, Anioma second, Isoko third, Ijaw fourth and Itsekiri comes last. Forget about the noise our itsekiri brothers make. They are the least tribe in population numbers but the noisiest.

The difference between Urhobos & Isokos is very similar to the difference between Ikas, Ukwuanis & Enuanis, yet the latter 3 are mostly grouped together under one umbrella during classifications.

And FYI, Esans, Binis, Etsakos, Owans & Akoko edos are sometimes all classified together as the Edo nation and regarded as one people. In Edo state, they are differentiated because there is no other large non-Edoid ethnic groups present.
This is unlike Delta state where there are Edoids (Urhobos & Isokos), Igboids (Aniomas), Yoruboids (Itsekiris) and Ijaws with completely different origins and unrelated languages and cultures.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by OMANBALA1: 8:20pm On Aug 17, 2019
This is the reason why I openly mock Anioma people....they dont know the Anioma tag by their fellow Deltans is a strategy used to put a wedge between them and their eastern brothers....lol

The moment the Anioma start playing the Igbo card the intimidating Igbo population in Delta will back them and Uhrobo becomes history...lol

Ndi Anioma are ffoolls grin grin

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Aug 17, 2019
There is no ethnic group called Anioma in the federal government of Nigeria gazette. Anioma is a collective term of the Igbo’s in Delta State.

Igbo is the largest ethnic group in Delta

The capital of Delta is an Igbo City (Asaba)

The gov of Delta is an Igbo man of the Ika Sub Group (Ifeanyi Okowa)

Igbo (Anioma) has the highest local government in Delta State (9 LGAs)

______
If you’re pained by this achievement, go and drink sniper

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by doctore212(m): 9:49pm On Aug 17, 2019
kadiri3:
IN DELTA? U SMOKE WEED?

No i did not smokeke weed.

What I said was according to the latest survey done in Delta state.

Check this Website to see the study.

Www.amuocha.ng.come

Thank me later
Re: Who Are The Majority In Delta State, Urhobo, Itsekiri Or Igbos? by centboy123456(m): 8:46am On Aug 19, 2019
DonJossydirich:

you are right

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Bandits Attack Zamfara Community For Defaulting In Levy Payment / Only The Blind Will Say Tinubu Has Failed – Matawalle / FG, Lagos Sign MOU On Lekki Deep Sea Port

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.