Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:35 PM

How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary (39573 Views)

An Employer Asking Applicant About His Salary In His Previous Work.is It Right? / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years / 4 Funny Ways To Impress Interviewers At Any Interview And Get The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by alBHAGDADI: 5:35pm On Aug 09, 2019
One thing Nigerian HRs and recruiters need to respect is the privacy of job seekers. It's intrusive to ask or compel a job seeker to state the salary his previous company paid him monthly. They ask this question just so they can know how to price you down below what the vacant role is offering. Or perhaps to know if you will be demanding far more than the role offers.

The best way to beat that stupid question is by telling those who ask tje question that such is confidential, which is why you won't want to disclose it.

If they press further, tell them that the reason why it is confidential is because your previous company kicks against present and ex-employees of theirs revealing their salary structure.

If they press further, tell them it won't be fair on your previous company if you reveal the salary structure just as this prospective company won't like to see an employee or ex-employees of theirs exposing their salary structure to others or on social media. Make sure you say all of these with an innocent face and watch how the nosy people will change subject. smiley

Nonsense. They can't state the amount they want to offer you because they believe it should be private for now, yet they want to know about your previous salary.

234 Likes 20 Shares

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by wisino1(m): 6:49pm On Aug 09, 2019
You are very right bro previous salary is supposed to be confidential ,one recruiter even after disclosing my previous salary had the guts to ask if I can provide the pay slip and I told him oga it's not possible

63 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Davoneskay(m): 12:00am On Aug 10, 2019
E be like job no deh hungry u. To say u don rust for house after graduation, u for know wetin deh do u.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Gbengageorge: 5:26am On Aug 10, 2019
If you really need a job, you will look for how to prepare a job slip yourself.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by ubcandid(m): 7:53am On Aug 10, 2019
Gbengageorge:

Job slip or pay slip?

11 Likes

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Ekakamba: 7:53am On Aug 10, 2019
Good concept for job seekers. grin tongue

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by englishmart(m): 7:54am On Aug 10, 2019
Gm.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by qanda: 7:54am On Aug 10, 2019
This approach will be for a beginner. Some prospective employers even request for payslips from previous employer. Above response is too dramatic...I strongly discourage it.

I think what is important is for the job seeker to know his/her relative worth and do your homework to know the average salary scale for that Industry or Job role.

Come to think of it, let's say you earned N50,000 at your previous job, and you are aware the role you are interviewing for can pay N200,000. Must you tell the interviewer you earned N50,000

If I am to advice, the appropriate answers to consider are:

1. "I believe you have a rate for this job role"
2. You probe... "How much are you offering for this position"
3. If you have done your homework or know your relative worth, "I have a salary scale between N150,000 - N200000 in mind" or you name the minimum salary you can accept.
4. "I earned N100,000 (mention the amount you earned previously) at my last workplace, and believe I deserve a better compensation, if they paid me more, I may still be with them"

Bottomline is that you should know your stuff. Make sure you are valuable, an asset, resourceful..that is what counts.

Whenever you attend an interview, go there with a mindset that you are there to help the company achieve their goal, they need you as much as you need them. So be composed and confident.

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Dozie32(m): 7:54am On Aug 10, 2019
I do tell them any amount

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Lionsbet: 7:54am On Aug 10, 2019
Nobody as asked me, you know why? Cos I'm winning with lionsbet. Gambling is my full-time job.

If you want to win like me, sign up in a wonderful site that can help you win big.

See my signature. After you sign up, hit me up on how to win, tips only. If its working for me, it can for you.

+2348127730452

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Julius2214(m): 7:55am On Aug 10, 2019
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by kollinz1234(m): 7:56am On Aug 10, 2019
Baba pick my call

I want to employ people.

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by memeguy: 7:56am On Aug 10, 2019
Davoneskay:
E be like job no deh hungry u. To say u don rust for house after graduation, u for know wetin deh do u.

Think na? If you had rusted at home after graduation, you wouldn't have a previous salary.

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by friendlyadvice: 7:56am On Aug 10, 2019
grin in Nigeria anything goes man I remember resigning from one place and sighting Mba as the reason can you believe the motherfuckers were asking to see my admission letter?

3 Likes

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by fergie001: 7:56am On Aug 10, 2019
ubcandid:

Job slip or pay slip?
He meant forgery and I think that's the opinion of the house grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by deebrain(m): 7:57am On Aug 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:
One thing Nigerian HRs and recruiters need to respect is the privacy of job seekers. It's intrusive to ask or compel a job seeker to state the salary his previous company paid him monthly. They ask this question just so they can know how to price you down below what the vacant role is offering. Or perhaps to know if you will be demanding far more than the role offers.

The best way to beat that stupid question is by telling those who ask tje question that such is confidential, which is why you won't want to disclose it.

If they press further, tell them that the reason why it is confidential is because your previous company kicks against present and ex-employees of theirs revealing their salary structure.

If they press further, tell them it won't be fair on your previous company if you reveal the salary structure just as this prospective company won't like to see an employee or ex-employees of theirs exposing their salary structure to others or on social media. Make sure you say all of these with an innocent face and watch how the nosy people will change subject. smiley

Nonsense. They can't state the amount they want to offer you because they believe it should be private for now, yet they want to know about your previous salary.

Your head was really washed and anointed with correct oil.

Plenty wisdom to your elbow.

Impressive!

13 Likes

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by adecz: 7:57am On Aug 10, 2019
sad

You are teaching a job hunter how
to go and argue with his potential employers abi??

sad

3 Likes

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by money121(m): 7:58am On Aug 10, 2019
Nice one
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by zicoraads: 7:58am On Aug 10, 2019
But I know a lot of people exaggerate this anyway. So in the end, a lot of people hardly ever reveal the real salary.

If I'm earning 120... I'll tell you 180, if my mind is on a 200k as what I want you to offer me.
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Adakintroy2: 7:58am On Aug 10, 2019
OGA I agree with you l. But no be the way you DE rake na you go rake for them when yu no get work.

As for una weh DE read. No follow am o.

Other wise na "we will get back to you" na he go end

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Kingkun69(m): 7:59am On Aug 10, 2019
Gbengageorge:

which one is job slip now
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Kingkun69(m): 8:01am On Aug 10, 2019
Davoneskay:
uncle them dey pay u inside uni
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Raydos: 8:02am On Aug 10, 2019
If you earn 100k in your previous job, Just tell the interviewer you will like to be earning 10million, At least if they want to cut it down, it wont go past 4 million

7 Likes

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by davodyguy: 8:04am On Aug 10, 2019
Kingkun69:
uncle them dey pay u inside uni
Very good question.
Some youths and the way they reason.

As a graduate with no previous work experience, you simply have no response to give
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by tojahh(m): 8:04am On Aug 10, 2019
I used to tell them 330k. Where as it was just 39k.

Las las they'll say. I don't think we can pay you. I'd say okay. How much are you paying.

Now I'm the one asking.

Las las I stay house reach 2 years angry cheesy

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 10, 2019
You're right OP but if they ask further, just tell them the basic salary is 150k. They cannot kill you grin

Lionsbet:
Nobody as asked me, you know why? Cos I'm winning with lionsbet. Gambling is my full-time job.

If you want to win like me, sign up in a wonderful site that can help you win big.

See my signature. After you sign up, hit me up on how to win, tips only. If its working for me, it can for you.

+2348127730452

3 Likes

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by dearie(m): 8:04am On Aug 10, 2019
This your theory may not apply in the banking sector. In anycase most banks will employ based on your job level/ grade cos the pay is usually no secret in the industry.

1 Like

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by materialproject: 8:05am On Aug 10, 2019
Oga you go pay as I said
Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Studyinchina200(m): 8:06am On Aug 10, 2019
Here in China,we are not allowed to talk about salary issues . Not even with your colleagues.

That might attract jealousy especially when you are a foreigner.

Re: How To Reply When Interviewers Ask About Your Previous Salary by Teejayphillip(m): 8:06am On Aug 10, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Oya gbefun.... Better oil dey ur head

Smart answer you know grin grin grin

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Air Force Ranks And Salary Structure (official) / Interview Question That Threw Me Off-balance / Nigerian Army Short Service Combatant Recruitment 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.