Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,685 members, 7,801,971 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:13 AM

How Do I Deal With Office Politics? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Deal With Office Politics? (13979 Views)

How Do I Deal With Nepotism In My Workplace? / 7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / Office Politics: What Can I Do To A Greedy Company Driver (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Depressed101: 8:32am On Nov 20, 2019
J111333:
Leadership is not a skill you learn or develop, it's inborn.
My advice is that every leader has a style so use yours and don't join the crowd.
what do you mean? What about all the leadership courses everywhere.. ,

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Adakintroy2: 8:45am On Nov 20, 2019
There is no such thing as office politics. It doesn't exist. Just as people know the best in their class in the real sense. People also know the best in the office when it comes to work in the real sense. Be good at your job that's the only politics you need.

When they finish with thir politics they will attend to job and hand and that's were you will be waiting.

Work place politics, romance, religion. Ignore them. A business environment is strictly for business.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by pocohantas(f): 8:54am On Nov 20, 2019
Depressed101:
poco what makes me think you are taking a direct swerve at jgobldie she thief your husband? undecided becareful o..

Emm bia Jgo ldie it's true sha o, stop talking too much, You now have a Responsibility at work that will require you not to talk too much, No matter how you see it, change is inevitable, and you can't do anything about it, you can only adapt and make adjustments.

Its easy actually.. Today is Wednesday abi, i advice you look forward to crashland on Friday, yeah buzz up, Then face it on Monday.

Cheers.... Poco mind ya self grin

Don't create issues where there are none.

Thank you.

Depressed101:
don't try to downplay your initial mischievousness. You can't get away with this one.

No thank you biko.

Nice effort at trying to instigate a quarrel. You'll have to try harder.
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by TEYA: 9:00am On Nov 20, 2019
J111333:
My advice is that every leader has a style so use yours and don't join the crowd.
Absolutely false! Every skill can be learnt.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Depressed101: 9:06am On Nov 20, 2019
pocohantas:

Don't create issues where there are none.

Thank you.
don't try to downplay your initial mischievousness. You can't get away with this one.

No thank you biko.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by shovaychoco: 9:19am On Nov 20, 2019
Read MAFIA MANAGER. Thank me later
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Rainbow219(m): 9:23am On Nov 20, 2019
Just stay humble vigilant and strong. Don't ever make yourself look foolish stupid or comedian.

PERIOD

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by frankson1(m): 9:40am On Nov 20, 2019
Jgoldie:
Hello nairalanders...

I don't know if this is the right place but I am scared and depressed...A lot of stuff and changes have been happening recently in my office .i have seen my colleagues playing office politics and how aggressive the result came out ....now someone just played that politics with me and i heard i have been transferred to the post of a supervisor....oh lawwd,this is my first leadership role...i am scared,i am way to friendly too open,a talkative,these stuff have been used against me in the past..i have read 48 laws of power and i am finding it hard to use those rules...people i have trusted at work do their stuff behind me without uttering a word,i start seeing results and i am get caught in the middle of nowhere.

How do i cope with this office politics,how do you guys working in corporate organisation cope without loosing friends or making foes??

Firstly, you should understand where you are.

Secondly, you should understand what you are there for.

Thirdly, you should understand what you intend to achieve while you are there.

When you understand these things you will know that you are on your own.

When you are in a leadership position there are changes that comes with it. You should apply the changes though it might be at the expense of a few friends who just refuse to understand your new role.

I still use some points in the 48 laws of Power you mentioned and at the same time maintain my relationship.

Here is a question for you: DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT THOSE PEOPLE YOU DON'T WANT TO HURT CAN OR WILL NOT GIVE YOU UP IF THE HAVE THE CHANECE

The Holy Book says: BE WISE AS A SERPENT.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Brightgem(f): 9:45am On Nov 20, 2019
pocohantas:

I do not really understand her issue.

Someone played politics with her and she is now a supervisor. This should be a good thing right?

She is tensed on how to lead because she is a talkative and it has been used against her in the past. This isn't rocket science, stop talking too much. grin

Yeah! Sounds like stating the obvious
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by frankson1(m): 9:46am On Nov 20, 2019
LegendaryLover:

no sir... It is & can be learnt.
I've several books on leadership in my shelve, & also studied Biz Admin. in uni.

To your second paragraph, leadership style should depend on each situation a leader finds himself. You can't be nice n friendly when critical decisions involving others are to be made. That'll call for an autocratic leadership style. Etc

Nobody was born a leader.

WELL SAID.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by frankson1(m): 9:48am On Nov 20, 2019
shovaychoco:
Read MAFIA MANAGER. Thank me later

I still glance through this small-sized book. cheesy
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Brightgem(f): 9:49am On Nov 20, 2019
The best way is to confront the sons of bitches. Call them out. Do not hold back. Start up a racket in the office when your boss is around but make sure you state precisely what they are about, what they are up to. Don't sugar-coat it. Don't cower when they try to deviate from the subject matter. Stand firm. Don't let them escape that day. Choose a glorious day to do it & make it count.

You might get a 2-week fine but they'll never try sh!t with you again. Heck, some will even switch to your camp out of shock.

Tried & trusted method since 2010

or

The best office politics is to be humble and a "yes sir" man/woman.

This is the secret of my getting to where I am today despite the odds against me being a black (dual citizen Nigerian born American for that matter) young man among my ranks.

I advise people not to engage in office politics but to be loyal and humble to the core. Be a one minute man, be a fool, give up your rights and privileges when the need arises, and above all build an impeccable character for yourself and see your bosses wanna make friends with you.
Today, I have friends that ordinarily should be my heroes and celebrities because of those virtues I listed up there.
hmmm... I'm sorry, feels as if you are saying many things at once and the points disjointed from the bigger picture. What's they koko of ya message?
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Yoighaman(m): 10:36am On Nov 20, 2019
pocohantas:

I do not really understand her issue.

Someone played politics with her and she is now a supervisor. This should be a good thing right?

She is tensed on how to lead because she is a talkative and it has been used against her in the past. This isn't rocket science, stop talking too much. grin

I was wondering too, her post seems so incoherent that I didn't know what or how to respond.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by 369digital: 11:00am On Nov 20, 2019
You just need to uphold your Objective Responsibility- and you will see everything falling in place.
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Starz825(m): 11:46am On Nov 20, 2019
Jgoldie:
Hello nairalanders...

I don't know if this is the right place but I am scared and depressed...A lot of stuff and changes have been happening recently in my office .i have seen my colleagues playing office politics and how aggressive the result came out ....now someone just played that politics with me and i heard i have been transferred to the post of a supervisor....oh lawwd,this is my first leadership role...i am scared,i am way to friendly too open,a talkative,these stuff have been used against me in the past..i have read 48 laws of power and i am finding it hard to use those rules...people i have trusted at work do their stuff behind me without uttering a word,i start seeing results and i am get caught in the middle of nowhere.

How do i cope with this office politics,how do you guys working in corporate organisation cope without loosing friends or making foes??

Listen to me now....

1. NO SECRECY: don't keep secrets with anyone...what u can tell ABC must also be wat u can say in front of XYZ... you must be open minded except if a senior tells u something..he/she says u should not disseminate it to anyone...say no to gossiping. You are a leader...u don't need to gossip any more...

2. Don't support a particular person: even if u like someone maybe for their hardworking or smartness...don't let them know publicly....every body must be important to you...as long as they are under u and u are their leader ...u must make use of anyone/every one...

3. Dont speak negative Abt any one with anybody: dont go abt saying trash Abt some people to some people...u must be neutral...if u have issues with ur guys that are under u...call them to order urself...if there is no changes then u can report to a senior staff

4.Learn how to give without collecting from anyone: when u give...pple tend to like u more and can also fight for you when u not there

5.Be hardworking yourself: don't be lazy...when u are also hardworking.. every one will see you as a role model to follow...be hardworking

6. Be prayerful: prayer is the master key

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by mapet: 12:19pm On Nov 20, 2019
J111333:

Wrong.

While some come with natural qualities of leadership, It had been proven long ago that leadership can carefully be crafted, taught and developed

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by rafindo(m): 1:20pm On Nov 20, 2019
Jgoldie:
Hello nairalanders...

I feel your pain. As I am currently involved in what office politics is about.

First you must know that office politics is healthy for an organization that wants to be competitive and stay strong in its domain. But when mediocrity enters the foray it becomes toxic.

Politics is interest.
When in the office settings. 3 interest are pronounced.
The company interest.
Your supervisor interest.
Your personal interest.

The greatest among them should be your interest.

Check the ethnic background.
Educational qualification.
Religious affiliation.
Gender .

If you promotion is vertical then you will have a lot of disgruntled element.

I will suggested you use the carrot and stick approach.

Give your enemies more clue as to what you have in mind just make sure you have a plan B that is better than your plan A.
Maybe more scenarios will be needed.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by guvna(m): 1:22pm On Nov 20, 2019
AjayOfficial:
Simple...just join the winning party

BIG fail!!

I bet you're either a Nigerian politician, related to one of them or you're just like them - LOW-LIFE SCUMBAG.

No morals, no principles, no value only money matters.
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Odunolumide(m): 2:18pm On Nov 20, 2019
I'll suggest you delegate assignment ,especially to those people you think will sabotage your effort. Delegate in the presence of other team members and make it clear that the person in charge of each assignment will bear the brunt.They might want you to fail but they don't want to fail

1 Like

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by showafrica(m): 2:25pm On Nov 20, 2019
lowkeybahdguy:

Politics is inevitable. Man is a social and political animal. See the world for what it is, and not what you wish it to be; a brutal fighting pit where only the toughest thrive. Don't be an unarmed prophet like Jesus after all even Saintly Christ had haters and ended up nailed to a cross and stabbed in the gut because he wanted to be a nice guy. Be a Malcom x. The unpredictable and unstable element nobody wants to mess with. Sometimes people push you intentionally to gauge your response, your strength. Do return the favour with more aggression, and they will learn to respect (fear) you and yours. Personally, 'I never met a Naira I never liked'. So, if you have to play dirty to earn your bread or more bread, then do. The world is not a Disney castle.

With your bosses, kiss and lick those asses like they were the best thing you ever tasted. It will be worth it at the end of the month when the paycheck comes in. Be the psycophant and fan their egos, be the chew toy when they need to sharpen their teeth and claws, atleast until you have acquired enough means to Branch out on your own. Then you can tell them how very miserable and sad their lives are, that they have you prick you with their little joysticks to feel good about themselves.

Yea this is the live Nigerians understand.. But those who play this type of lives are never like it. They are just one cool demon on the inside, playing a rough devil on the outside.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Rating(m): 4:11pm On Nov 20, 2019
Jgoldie:
Hello nairalanders...

Following advice is based on my personal experience:

1) Start piling up "Bleep you money" - maybe 10-20% of your salary every month.
2) Office is for work. No permanent friends/foes.
3) Make sure you get better at your job. Read books. Learn the ins and outs. Make sure you can do a lot of things yourself.
4) Study people. Watch what they say but most importantly what they do.
5) Make sure you're more result-oriented than people-oriented. The reason I like this method is that it's important to let your work speak for you.
6) Avoid getting involved with office romance. It often comes back to bite you in the ass.
7) Know what matters to the company and let your work be seen. Maybe your communication skill, leadership or technical skills. Let it show by how thoughtful you are.
cool Finally, be kind through and through. Kind o, not stupid.

All the best!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by CodeTemplar: 1:58am On Nov 22, 2019
daddytime:
Hmmm

If you think National Politics is durry, wait until you see/experience family or office politics.
Office politics AKA dynamics of Occultism.
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Xente: 11:04am On Dec 01, 2019
You need to learn how to separate work and personal life. I once had such a problem too, but I made a choice for myself and decided that a career is more important to me than friends., And just did my job in a quality manner.
Re: How Do I Deal With Office Politics? by Christmasdon(m): 5:53am On Jan 02, 2020
pocohantas:
Babe, you want to learn how to deal with office politics and you came to Romance section.

Toto? No
Feminism? No
Alfah male syndrome? No
Cheating? No
Fallen boobs? No

What do you want them to comment on bikonu?

MyƱd44, please career section.
Make people wey get office comment.
. So you know what toto is. i tot girls are not pervert.?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Company Deduct Pension Money From Our Salaries Without Paying To Our PFAs / How To Have A Happy Retirement / What Minimum Height Does An Individual Need Before Joining The Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.