Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,688 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:32 PM

Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? (35221 Views)

Price LG 1250w Home Theater / REVIEW NEEDED: Djack 3.1ch Bluetooth Home Theater System Dj-23 / Which Home Theater Should I Go For?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Wigetsolar: 7:44am On Aug 10, 2019
I remember when we were growing up, in the East, after the era of turntables and vinyl records and Kenwood Speakers, we had a customised home theater.

It is constructed by connecting a radio cassette/CD player, usually of lower Power (PMPO) to a speaker(s) using an earphone cord/jack and placing the speaker upside down onto a native water pot (Udu nmiri) or native music drum. Although the speakers are of lower Wattage but when the speaker is put onto the native pot/drum, the bass is multiplied.

Sometimes, there are several of these connections placed at the four corners of the room and sometimes hidden in the ceiling of the house (visitors usually wondered where the sound is coming from but cannot see the speakers).

God knows how many ladies were entertainedwink in that room. You know, rooms of the boys is fancier than anywhere else in the building wink

For those of you that know what I am talking about, what do you think? grin

NwaAmaikpe, crixxx, NgadaAwo, LZAA, immhotep, naijaroyalty, simonlee, dokyoloye, lalasticlacla, dominique, ishilove, fynestboi, airmark, mynd44

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Larryfest(m): 8:09am On Aug 10, 2019
I don't think this was ever a thing in other places..

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Wigetsolar: 8:16am On Aug 10, 2019
Larryfest:
I don't think this was ever a thing in other places..

If anyone was born in the East and/or born between 1970s to 1990s, they may see it. I even saw this somewhere in the early 2000s sef.

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by LZAA: 9:02am On Aug 10, 2019
undecided

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by naijadrivablog: 11:46am On Aug 10, 2019
grin OP, only matured people that grew up in the East will know this o. Will the mods relate?

I had one in my room in those days. The sound no be here. As time went on, when CD came out, I connected CD Player to it. If you come play Osadebe's song (Osankwa) on it eh cool.

66 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by NwaAmaikpe: 11:18pm On Aug 10, 2019
shocked

You just took me back to when Nigeria was a country, when coins were precious assets.
When Texaco filling station attendants cleaned your windscreen and thanked you for your patronage.

When Nigerian Airways was still a robust Elephant with wings.
When PAN flooded our streets with seductive 404s.
When we stood by railways counting the number of coaches on each steam train passing.

Do you remember when we used fluorescent tubes to construct HD-ready antennas so we could hear the truth from Siene Allwell Brown and Frank Olize.
And when we put coloured glasses over our TVs so we could watch in colour?

Should I remind you of our TVs that had shutters, keys and legs or tell you the stories of eating moi-moi out of milk cups while watching white cranes come home from their fishing trip and beg them to exchange their white claws with out dirty nails?

When we ate New Society bread with planta.
Drank Ginger Ale or Pronto.
Licked "chichi" sweet and coloured saccharine icecreams after taking an overdose of kwilikwili so we could win the farting competition.

Back to when ladies wore shimmy.
When permed and jerry curled hairs were the styles to beat.
Tales by moonlight for the teens,
Icheokwu for the adults and Danger mouse for the kids.
When we just had to consult the telephone directory to get anyone's land phone number.

Tell me did you write love notes and pass to your crush through her younger ones?
Did you sprain your finger from turning the "roundabout" telephone dial?

Did you knot grass leaves to stay out of trouble?
Did you ever smooch your female neighbor on your father's settee while Teddy Pendergrass record was spinning on the turntable?

Did you walk from house to house on Christmas eve to sing carols?
Lalastic.lala.... Did you ever use Aquafresh toothpaste to drink garri or use Krest and Akanwu for birthcontrol?

Did you ever feel a sense of pride sitting in "Merry-go-round" long buses because your neighbor's kids had to ride their father's Long John bicycle?
Did you ever visit the library to check out what new tale Cyprian Ekwensi or Chinua Achebe had made?

Nigeria was great.
Night journeys were interesting, we had toll gates at every boundary with jovial soldiers exchanging banters there.
Life was greater if you had the privilege of growing up in Eastern Nigeria.

564 Likes 87 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by cassidy1996(m): 11:40pm On Aug 10, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

You just took me back to when Nigeria was a country, when coins were precious precious.
When Texaco filling station attendants cleaned your windscreen and thanked you for your patronage.

When Nigerian Airways was still a robust Elephant with wings?
When PAN flooded our streets with seductive 404s?
When we stood by railways counting the number of coaches on each steam train passing.

Do you remember when we used fluorescent tubes to construct HD-ready antennas so we could hear the truth from Siene Allwell Brown and Frank Olize.

Should I remind you of our TVs that had shutters, keys and legs or tell you the stories of eating moi-moi out of milk cups while watching white cranes come home from their fishing trip and beg them to exchange their white claws with out dirty nails?

Licked "chichi" sweet and coloured saccharine icecreams after taking an overdose of kwilikwili so we could win the farting competition.

Tell me did you write love notes and pass to your crush through her younger ones?

Lalasticlala.... Did you ever use Aquafresh toothpaste to drink garri or use Krest and Akanwu for birthcontrol?

Nigeria was great.

NwaAmaikpe! seems you know a lot about the 1980's... Big Bros hailings

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by CAPSLOCKED: 11:42pm On Aug 10, 2019
I DON'T KNOW THIS TRASH. I DON'T CARE AS WELL.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by cassidy1996(m): 11:43pm On Aug 10, 2019
i love those days, when Christmas celebrations was great...

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Gentlewarrior1(m): 3:07am On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

You just took me back to when Nigeria was a country, when coins were precious precious.

Lalasticlala.... Did you ever use Aquafresh toothpaste to drink garri or use Krest and Akanwu for birthcontrol?

Nigeria was great.

Odogwu nwoke

68 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Sirheny007(m): 7:20am On Aug 11, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

Pity.
Your growing up must have been very turbulent. embarassed

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:29am On Aug 11, 2019
Sirheny007:

Pity.

YEAH, BECAUSE YOU GREW UP WITH US IN 19BC WHEN ALL WE HAD WAS CAVES AND BAMBOO TREES.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Sirheny007(m): 7:38am On Aug 11, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

YEAH, BECAUSE YOU GREW UP WITH US IN 19BC WHEN ALL WE HAD WAS CAVES AND BAMBOO TREES.

And there was no CAPS to lock cheesy

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by VivaDeAngelo(m): 8:09am On Aug 11, 2019
The audio CD was invented in line with this concept.

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by hahn(m): 8:59am On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

For your analog mind these proof of poor technology is what makes you state that "Nigeria is great"?

There were still bad roads
Still power cuts
Still corruption
Hiking in prices
Increase in exchange rate
Kidnapping
Armed robbery
Poverty
Etc

Let's face it, Nigeria has NEVER been great as your journey down memory lane rightly points out

33 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by mrZENographer: 3:16pm On Aug 11, 2019
Godzilla: king of Monsters

The government is known by the educated to hide alot of things about the history of man so as to keep man under control and only present reality as fairy tales or sublimnals

Could Leviathan be the role played as Godzilla 2019 movie.

Book of JOB chapter 41

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Sirmuel1(m): 3:17pm On Aug 11, 2019
The Nigeria we built is now a mess. embarassed sad

I remember those times when it was safe to sit outside and talk to your family at night. I miss the Old Nigeria embarassed

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by drips8(m): 3:19pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe would make a great author

38 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Jgoldie: 3:21pm On Aug 11, 2019
Never seen this....how does it work?
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 3:22pm On Aug 11, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
Nobody cares that you don't care undecided

25 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Chiemeka1: 3:22pm On Aug 11, 2019
Only Indomie generations will ado about this.

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by davidodiba(m): 3:22pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

You just took me back to when Nigeria was a country, when coins were precious assets.

Did you ever smooch your female neighbor on your father's settee while Teddy Pendergrass record was spinning on the turntable?

Lalastic.lala.... Did you ever use Aquafresh toothpaste to drink garri or use Krest and Akanwu for birthcontrol?

Did you ever feel a sense of pride sitting "Merry-go-round" long buses because your neighbor's kids had to ride their father's Long John bicycle?

Nigeria was great.
Night journeys were interesting, we had toll gates at every boundary with jovial soldiers exchanging banters there.

Childhood in summary! Twale Baba!

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by dangoteinlaw: 3:23pm On Aug 11, 2019
That's what happens when ppl refuse to grow. Even now some shameless ppl still use CD plates but when it's 2080 they will lie to their kids CD was the thing in 2019 when infact Netflix and YouTube or kwese TV has taken over

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by MrsNwaAmaikpe(f): 3:24pm On Aug 11, 2019
shocked shocked

If there are memories that shouldn't be remembered this is one of them.

am pondering and in awe of the type of sound that will come out of such a crude assembly.

As a young lass, I would cut off relationship with any boy who puts up this arrangement and calls it home theater.

Never mind the old man up there with the lengthy history of his penurious life.
He is still as poor as he was.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by MorataFC: 3:24pm On Aug 11, 2019
I know no this one o and I no be indomie generation
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by BabaIbo: 3:25pm On Aug 11, 2019
LoL, I think say na modern day Nigerian invention cheesy grin

OP warn yourself o
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by ultimateprof: 3:29pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked
I TOO LIKE THIS BRO'S, A.K.A NWAAMAIKPE. IT SEEMS YOU ARE ACIENT OF DAYS.

Did you ever feel a sense of pride sitting "Merry-go-round" long buses because your neighbor's kids had to ride their father's Long John bicycle?

Nigeria was great.

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 11, 2019
naijadrivablog:
grin OP, only matured people that grew up in the East will know this o. Will the mods relate?

I had one in my room in those days. The sound no be here. Sometimes I connected CD Player to it. If you come play Osadebe's song (Osankwa) on it eh cool.
we are talking of when there was no CD
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Jabioro: 3:33pm On Aug 11, 2019
Sirheny007:

Pity.
Like sea water

6 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by MartinsD12(m): 3:34pm On Aug 11, 2019
Wigetsolar:
I remember when we were growing up, in the East, after the era of turntables and vinyl records and Kenwood Speakers, we had a customised home theater.

It is constructed by connecting a radio cassette/CD player, usually of lower Power (PMPO) to a speaker(s) using an earphone cord/jack and placing the speaker upside down onto a native water pot (Udu nmiri) or native music drum. Although the speakers are of lower Wattage but when the speaker is put onto the native pot/drum, the bass is multiplied.

Sometimes, there are several of these connections placed at the four corners of the room and sometimes hidden in the ceiling of the house (visitors usually wondered where the sound is coming from but cannot see the speakers).

God knows how many ladies were entertainedwink in that room. You know, rooms of the boys is fancier than anywhere else in the building wink

For those of you that know what I am talking about, what do you think? grin

NwaAmaikpe, crixxx, NgadaAwo, LZAA, immhotep, naijaroyalty, simonlee, dokyoloye, lalasticlacla, dominique, ishilove, fynestboi, airmark, mynd44
This brings back some old memories nostalgia for especially back in the village infact in the early 2000

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

Respect sir

20 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Don’t Jealous Me: Beyoncé Ft. Tekno, Yemi Alade & Mr Eazi / Wizkid Ft Akon-don't Dull Remix (download Now) / Wizkid Wins Soultrain Awards 2019. See Full List Of Winners.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.