Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,123 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:30 AM

Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? (35227 Views)

Price LG 1250w Home Theater / REVIEW NEEDED: Djack 3.1ch Bluetooth Home Theater System Dj-23 / Which Home Theater Should I Go For?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by laivwire(m): 4:58pm On Aug 11, 2019
Mehn, those were days when we tune VHF channels. Bought catapults and chased lizards with it. We also had this big deck with a turnstile on top. We rocked Michael Jackson and Chaka Chaka on it when daddy wasn’t home. Yeah and the vinyl plates can break for Africa.
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by dangoteinlaw: 5:04pm On Aug 11, 2019
DelphiOracle:
cd is still very much in Vogue my dear
my bro just ask someone to bring you up to speed lol. You go and buy those 144p resolution disc for how much 150 when you could get a better quality online with a cheap data subscription and it will be displayed in full hd on your TV or should I say box TV in your case lol. I'm not suprised your type see gotv as the altimate, how do you even understand a movie with such low quality because I can't even identify the actors let alone know their names when they are being displayed like the terminator movie. Before it used to be only Netflix but we have so many free ones but then it's ur world so enjoy it

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by naijadrivablog: 5:07pm On Aug 11, 2019
BluntBoy:

Vice has always been rampant in Nigeria.

Herdsmen-farmer's conflict did not start today.

Police corruption did not start today.

Police and soldier brutality of civilians did not start today. Remember the days when police killed drivers over 10 naira.

Religious crisis did not start today.

Indiscipline, jumping queues, littering streets, disobeying traffic rules did not start today. Remember Buhari's War Against Indiscipline (WAI)?

Electricity palavar did not start today. Fela gave NEPA the name "Never Expect Power Always".

419 did not start today.

Cultism did not start today.

Ok
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Kennitrust(m): 5:07pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

You just took me back to when Nigeria was a country, when coins were precious assets.
When Texaco filling station attendants cleaned your windscreen and thanked you for your patronage.

When Nigerian Airways was still a robust Elephant with wings.
When PAN flooded our streets with seductive 404s.
When we stood by railways counting the number of coaches on each steam train passing.

Do you remember when we used fluorescent tubes to construct HD-ready antennas so we could hear the truth from Siene Allwell Brown and Frank Olize.
And when we put coloured glasses over our TVs so we could watch in colour?

Should I remind you of our TVs that had shutters, keys and legs or tell you the stories of eating moi-moi out of milk cups while watching white cranes come home from their fishing trip and beg them to exchange their white claws with out dirty nails?

When we ate New Society bread with planta.
Drank Ginger Ale or Pronto.
Licked "chichi" sweet and coloured saccharine icecreams after taking an overdose of kwilikwili so we could win the farting competition.

Back to when ladies wore shimmy.
When permed and jerry curled hairs were the styles to beat.
Tales by moonlight for the teens,
Icheokwu for the adults and Danger mouse for the kids.
When we just had to consult the telephone directory to get anyone's land phone number.

Tell me did you write love notes and pass to your crush through her younger ones?
Did you sprain your finger from turning the "roundabout" telephone dial?

Did you knot grass leaves to stay out of trouble?
Did you ever smooch your female neighbor on your father's settee while Teddy Pendergrass record was spinning on the turntable?

Did you walk from house to house on Christmas eve to sing carols?
Lalastic.lala.... Did you ever use Aquafresh toothpaste to drink garri or use Krest and Akanwu for birthcontrol?

Did you ever feel a sense of pride sitting in "Merry-go-round" long buses because your neighbor's kids had to ride their father's Long John bicycle?
Did you ever visit the library to check out what new tale Cyprian Ekwensi or Chinua Achebe had made?

Nigeria was great.
Night journeys were interesting, we had toll gates at every boundary with jovial soldiers exchanging banters there.
Life was greater if you had the privilege of growing up in Eastern Nigeria.

"when night journeys were interesting" You nailed it there, men!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Alwaysking: 5:18pm On Aug 11, 2019
Wow
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by doggedfighter(f): 5:25pm On Aug 11, 2019
Platony:

I can fully relate bro,...oh, great memories, how we used lucozade boost's wrap to cover our B&W TV making it to become coloured tv......How time flies. How we played coca cola animal kingdom crown corks.

Oh, I wish Nigeria can jst go back to d good ol' days. cry

I am not Igbo but grew up in d east, born in Ogbete Enugu (Old Anambra State), lived there, lived in awka, lived in owerri.

I jst love d east. Throughout my family's stay in d east, d treatment we got was warmth. If they know u're a stranger, u'll be so valued n cared for.

I don't know if it's same today sad
It's still same. The warmth is still there.Strangers are still valued and cared for. You can come back ,bro grin grin grin grin grin grin.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by hahn(m): 5:31pm On Aug 11, 2019
BiseniGirl:

There was a reason for this statement: "THE GOOD OLD DAYS"! You may never relate with the substance behind that statement.

There is nothing good about the old Nigerian days. It's all the same nonsense.

Only emotionally blind people see or say otherwise
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by hahn(m): 5:33pm On Aug 11, 2019
naijadrivablog:

See you. That was the technology then. Mind you, there was a time BlackBerry phones were in vogue but now

All these vices you listed were not rampant then. We just had one or two notorious criminals and most of the roads today were constructed in that era.

Well, kids won't understand.

Lol. That's a lie. Why then was there operation sweep?

There were killings, armed robberies etc rampant then.

In my estate in Ilupeju there were armed robberies daily and that was the period when people started erecting street gates

Keep deceiving yourself as long as it makes you happy
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Wigetsolar: 6:32pm On Aug 11, 2019
LZAA:
undecided

Las las

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by dannielight(m): 6:38pm On Aug 11, 2019
Wow. This was an experience. Love the woofer.
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by HonNEAT: 6:54pm On Aug 11, 2019
Larryfest:
I don't think this was ever a thing in other places..
When I Saw The Picture I Laughed. Because I Remembered. Chai
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by dhesire(m): 6:55pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

You just took me back to when Nigeria was a country, when coins were precious assets.
When Texaco filling station attendants cleaned your windscreen and thanked you for your patronage.

When we stood by railways counting the number of coaches on each steam train passing.

Do you remember when we used fluorescent tubes to construct HD-ready antennas so we could hear the truth from Siene Allwell Brown and Frank Olize.

Should I remind you of our TVs that had shutters, keys and legs or tell you the stories of eating moi-moi out of milk cups while watching white cranes come home from their fishing trip and beg them to exchange their white claws with out dirty nails?

Licked "chichi" sweet and coloured saccharine icecreams after taking an overdose of kwilikwili so we could win the farting competition.

When we just had to consult the telephone directory to get anyone's land phone number.

Tell me did you write love notes and pass to your crush through her younger ones?

Did you ever smooch your female neighbor on your father's settee while Teddy Pendergrass record was spinning on the turntable?

Lalastic.lala.... Did you ever use Aquafresh toothpaste to drink garri or use Krest and Akanwu for birthcontrol?

Did you ever feel a sense of pride sitting in "Merry-go-round" long buses because your neighbor's kids had to ride their father's Long John bicycle?
Did you ever visit the library to check out what new tale Cyprian Ekwensi or Chinua Achebe had made?

Nigeria was great.
Night journeys were interesting, we had toll gates at every boundary with jovial soldiers exchanging banters there.

This would have been a great piece, if it was written by any other person but because NwaAmaikpe wrote it, it is absolute rubbish.
Just as MrsNwaAmaikpe pointed out, the old man in NwaAmaikpe is suffering from........

Kudos to Wigetsolar for taking local man back memory lane.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

Respect!!!!!!!!!

This guy is above 40

6 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by missCAPS: 7:16pm On Aug 11, 2019
hahn:

For your analog mind these proof of poor technology is what makes you state that "Nigeria is great"?

There were still bad roads
Still power cuts
Still corruption
Hiking in prices
Increase in exchange rate
Kidnapping
Armed robbery
Poverty
Etc

Let's face it, Nigeria has NEVER been great as your journey down memory lane rightly points out
the thing tire me too. What is the greatness in outing colored glass over a screen just to see it color?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by alnino94(m): 7:49pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

you probably read a lot Mr nwaAmaikpe; one person can't experience all these, it cut across various generations.

3 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by DelphiOracle(m): 8:17pm On Aug 11, 2019
dangoteinlaw:
my bro just ask someone to bring you up to speed lol. You go and buy those 144p resolution disc for how much 150 when you could get a better quality online with a cheap data subscription and it will be displayed in full hd on your TV or should I say box TV in your case lol. I'm not suprised your type see gotv as the altimate, how do you even understand a movie with such low quality because I can't even identify the actors let alone know their names when they are being displayed like the terminator movie. Before it used to be only Netflix but we have so many free ones but then it's ur world so enjoy it
I ended my subscription with Netflix last two month cos I don't have time for movies that much. Mind u there are quality CDs in the market even till tomorrow n u can't buy then with 150
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by LZAA: 8:22pm On Aug 11, 2019
Wigetsolar:

Las las

1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

chai! You remind me of those lovely days ooh. Thanks bro!
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by ogaontop(m): 8:47pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

You're so much on point bro, felt these things when I was younger and even more like the "swell game" on ground and building houses with sand on the ground, children hide and seek, e.t.c good old memories when during convocation ceremonies companies will be waiting to absorb the bright students,
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 11, 2019
Sirheny007:

And there was no CAPS to lock cheesy
Guffaw!
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Nobody: 8:52pm On Aug 11, 2019
Sirheny007:

And there was no CAPS to lock cheesy
Guffaw!
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by GOFRONT(m): 9:00pm On Aug 11, 2019
From the mouth of a Kid, the smell of Ordinary water is perceived.....But from the Mouth of an Elder, the smell of Soured water is perceived...

Hmmm.....NwaAmaikpe, you are an Elder...

I can perceive the smell of soured water from ya Mouth...

You have words in ya mouth!!!
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

You are worthy comrade, you saw it all.

2 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by engrchykae(m): 9:10pm On Aug 11, 2019
Wigetsolar:

If anyone was born in the East/and or born between 1970s to 1990s, they may see it. I even saw this somewhere in the early 2000s sef.
one guy in my area then was jokingly called udu ihe because of this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by engrchykae(m): 9:15pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

you are the life of nairaland

3 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by engrchykae(m): 9:23pm On Aug 11, 2019
hahn:

For your analog mind these proof of poor technology is what makes you state that "Nigeria is great"?

There were still bad roads
Still power cuts
Still corruption
Hiking in prices
Increase in exchange rate
Kidnapping
Armed robbery
Poverty
Etc

Let's face it, Nigeria has NEVER been great as your journey down memory lane rightly points out
you quoted him not because you had anything better to say but because you felt you must confront him.
the Nigeria of then was far better.
the things we can be proud of now were built then.
mainland bridge kainji dam futo futminna futa niger bridge even the roads we are plying now.
or is it because it is nwaamaikpe ?
the one you love to hate.

4 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:53pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.
I could easily take you to be a poet

Your points were musical and soothing to the ears!!!

I enjoyed every bit of it

Great good old day!!!

2 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Ozana77(m): 11:00pm On Aug 11, 2019
I was born 93 but I had this not once cos I love music and was from a poor background but that no fit stop the gbedu, Jah be praised for our lives tho. Most of this youngies won't comprehend.
Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by royalair(m): 11:18pm On Aug 11, 2019
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Nigeria was great.

twale baba

1 Like

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by Ritaokafor(f): 11:35pm On Aug 11, 2019
Back then, coke was sold at N1. Used "Stella pomade", used " ncha nkoto", went to "ota akara" as pre-school, fetched fire wood from Forest, fetched water from stream with "udu", lived in " uno aja upa". Ate Christmas rice with kids from tray, after that go from house to house for " ego nkiri". grin. Etc

2 Likes

Re: Have You Seen This "Local" Home Theater? by hahn(m): 9:11am On Aug 12, 2019
engrchykae:
you quoted him not because you had anything better to say but because you felt you must confront him.
the Nigeria of then was far better.
the things we can be proud of now were built then.
mainland bridge kainji dam futo futminna futa niger bridge even the roads we are plying now.
or is it because it is nwaamaikpe ?
the one you love to hate.

Corruption, poverty, kidnappings, armed robberies were also built then.

If solid foundations were laid down then it would be evident now. Don't you think? undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Don’t Jealous Me: Beyoncé Ft. Tekno, Yemi Alade & Mr Eazi / Wizkid Ft Akon-don't Dull Remix (download Now) / Wizkid Wins Soultrain Awards 2019. See Full List Of Winners.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.