Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,797 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:38 AM

Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? (2827 Views)

What Do Ibos Want? Speaker Abbass Invites Ibo Leaders To Step Forward. / Why Do Ibos Hate El-rufai / Hinterland Ibos And The Misconception Of Bonny (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by modath(f): 5:52am On Aug 11, 2019
gidgiddy:

It is very rare to see an Igbo man who uses double names. But when that happens, this usually because the surname is also commonly used as a first name

Kanayo. O.*Kanayo*

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by Gandollaar(f): 6:01am On Aug 11, 2019
KahlDrogo:
I think it is because they are close relatives of Shiites. It was really amazing seeing how they demonstrated and protested for zakzaky in Abuja. I think it was their protest that made Buhari release sheikh zakzaky. cool

Ibo amaka.
Your mumu na follow come. Happy sallah.
Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by Gandollaar(f): 6:02am On Aug 11, 2019
KahlDrogo:
There are more muslim ibos especially Shiites, than catholic ibos. Anglican ibos is the least. That is why you see most of them on the forum hate obiano with passion.
Even buhari smart pass you. Happy sallah
Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by Gandollaar(f): 6:05am On Aug 11, 2019
Simplyleo:

Laff want comot my teeth oooo.

grin grin grin grin grin grin
You have always had gum infection since you were kid and so never had a healthy dentition. Happy sallah liondeleo
Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by Gandollaar(f): 6:11am On Aug 11, 2019
BaaleOko:

Una dey try too hard to match the legendary Yoruba Muslim tag, but it sounds so forced and off, no matter as una try reach, nothing will beat the yoruba muslim brand grin
I told one Yoruba mooslim so few days ago..lol
Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by neyobills: 6:30am On Aug 11, 2019
OMOANIBIRE:
I have come across kehinde kehinde in my secondry school time[color=#006600][/color]

It's rare but not impossible because as per Yoruba culture the person brought the name from heaven,the Surname is Kehinde and is fortunately also a twin so its total divine coincidence.
Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by alshalz(m): 7:50am On Aug 11, 2019
Yellowba-moozilimu trying very hard to create Igbo musilem,using1/100 of the effort can make the teeth of the chief slave whiter than snow
Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by MetaPhysical: 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2019
modath:

Kanayo. O.*Kanayo*

Thank you jare my sister.

This name sound like a festival in Epe called Kayo-Kayo. grin

It is common in Yoruba to use double link in attributes but never in proper names.

Example -
Fio-Fio....long beyond vision
Lai-Lai....into eternal
Jagun-Jagun....mercenary
Kiji-Kiji.....stampede

If a Yoruba is named Olusegun and his father or grandfather was also named Olusegun, out of respect we will skip the that generation before him that first bore the name or use the family totem in place of last name.

Say Im Olusegun and my grandfather is also Olusegun but our ancestral totem is ESO. Rather than carry Olusegun Olusegun for name I will be called Olusegun Eso.

We are unique in language and adopt sequencing and substitution in naming.

Yoruba, a very civilized people! grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by ChristianEast: 3:27pm On Aug 11, 2019
funmijoyb:
Igbo and hausa are brothers and sisters na religion seperate them.
One is catholic igbo Christian while d other na muslim
one thing we love about catholic igbos is that they have never snitched on the south like the tijanniyya sufi moslems from a waste land. Anyway we dont blame the tijanniyas because it is not easy to slam the fore head 5 times everyday under a brown roof masallachi.

God will help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by ChristianEast: 3:32pm On Aug 11, 2019
KahlDrogo:
I think it is because they are close relatives of Shiites. It was really amazing seeing how they demonstrated and protested for zakzaky in Abuja. I think it was their protest that made Buhari release sheikh zakzaky. cool

Ibo amaka.
One thing the tijanniyyya from waste land and the Izala quota system moslems share in common is their hatred for shia moslem, the most peaceful sect in Islam.

To them the shias are heretics and non-moslem and deserve to die. it is a pity that people that arrogantly arrogated to themselves the tag of 'most sophisticated' are cheering the massacre of innocent shias because of religion and cowardly hide under the izala lies that shias are terrorising zaria to provide justification for the devlish massacre.

Ndi igbo stand with Shias in their trying times and may God have pity on the hateful souls of the skull mining tijanniyaa vulture from sad waste.

Amen.

Yoruba moslems amaka

1 Like

Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by ChristianEast: 3:39pm On Aug 11, 2019
MetaPhysical:

Thank you jare my sister.

This name sound like a festival in Epe called Kayo-Kayo. grin

It is common in Yoruba to use double link in attributes but never in proper names.

Example -
Fio-Fio....long beyond vision
Lai-Lai....into eternal
Jagun-Jagun....mercenary
Kiji-Kiji.....stampede

If a Yoruba is named Olusegun and his father or grandfather was also named Olusegun, out of respect we will skip the that generation before him that first bore the name or use the family totem in place of last name.

Say Im Olusegun and my grandfather is also Olusegun but our ancestral totem is ESO. Rather than carry Olusegun Olusegun for name I will be called Olusegun Eso.

We are unique in language and adopt sequencing and substitution in naming.

Yoruba, a very civilized people! grin
Use of family name is a culture we respect and first sons are usually given the family as a sign of respect and any child no matter how old he is that bears the family name as a first name is accorded unusual respect required of his age.

Don't criticize a culture you don't understand.

I only responded to you because you are not hateful like the sophistikated tijanniyas headslamming brown roof mosque worshipers.

I can't give my son the family name as a first name because I am not the first child. Only the first child of the first son can bear that name if the father wants.
Re: Why Do Ibos And Hausas Use Double Names? by ChristianEast: 3:44pm On Aug 11, 2019
KahlDrogo:
There are more muslim ibos especially Shiites, than catholic ibos. Anglican ibos is the least. That is why you see most of them on the forum hate obiano with passion.
when a Tijanniya Izala quota system moslem Iwofa start talking like this, then know that something is really wrong

May God help the tijanniyya from waste land.

AMEN

(1) (2) (Reply)

seyi makinde "mocked " Former Governor Abiola Ajimobi as Constituted Authority / IPOB Leader Nnamdi Kanu Prepares For An Emergency Broadcast On An Unfolding Coup / Eid-El-Kabir: Abubakar Sani Bello Urges Muslim Faithful To Imbibe Virtues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.