Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,804 members, 7,802,567 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. (1206 Views)

Lagos To Witness Fuel Shortage As Satelite Depot Shuts Down / Thuraya Satelite Phone Banned In Borno / Putting Food On The Table Or Sending Satelite Into Space (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by mohadana: 7:12pm On May 14, 2007
China launches Nigerian satellite

China is launching rockets for 30 countries
China has successfully launched a communications satellite for Nigeria.
The official Xinhua news agency says it is the first time that a foreign buyer has purchased both a Chinese satellite and its launching service.

The Nigerian Communication Satellite NIGCOMSAT-1 is expected to offer broadcasting, telecommunications and broadband internet services for Africa.

China beat 21 other bidders for the $311m contract to launch the satellite in 2004, Xinhua says.

The satellite, launched by a Long March 3-B rocket, is expected to reach its final position later this year and to remain in operation for 15 years.

The launch is being portrayed as part of a drive to enhance rural access to technology and the internet and boost Nigeria's and Africa's knowledge economy.

"It gives you bandwidth to enable you to communicate from point A to point B, from rural Africa to urban cities," Dr Bashir Gwandu, a member of the Satellite Launch Committee and a director at the Nigeria Communications Commission told the BBC's Focus on Africa.

Nigeria has been experiencing a communications revolution in recent years, says the BBC's Alex Last, and is one of the fastest growing mobile phone markets in Africa and the world.

Having a space programme is also symbolic of how Nigeria wants to be seen as a growing player on the world stage

Critics say the majority of the population live in poverty and the internet can be made redundant by the simple fact that electricity is sporadic at best.

The government should rather spend all this money on power, job creation and basic public services, they say.

Co-operation

This is the latest example of growing economic co-operation between China and Africa.

China is buying Africa raw materials and building infrastructure such as roads.

The launch represented "China's wish to cooperate with developing countries in the peaceful use of outer space and to promote a closer relationship between China and African countries," Xinhua says.

China is expanding its space programme and in 2003 became only the third country to launch a man into space.

This is one of 30 foreign satellites China has been commissioned to launch, Xinhua reports.

Nigeria already has a weather satellite launched in 2003 with Russian assistance.

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

SEE ALSO
China's space challenge to the US
23 Jan 07 | Asia-Pacific
China outlines next space goals
17 Oct 05 | Asia-Pacific
Nigeria enters space age
27 Sep 03 | Africa

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
Chinese Space Agency
Xinhua
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

TOP AFRICA STORIES
China launches Nigerian satellite

Zimbabwe 'ignores' SA diplomacy .
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by naijaway(m): 8:27pm On May 14, 2007
I was happy when i watched it yesterday because i saw it as a first step. My skeptism started when some people in the streets started acting as if is all and all to the point that I had to remind some people that it was 90% china and 10%naija and until we as a nation can send one to space in our land with (90 to 95)% Nigerian effort and probably 10% foreign assistance then we still have a long road to go. As I said earlier it is a first step and funny enough people are starting to see if they can do space technology as a career because of the economic impact. Other African nations are beginning to look into that ever since we had the last one. My only hope is that it sparks a revolution in the African continent especially west Africa and Nigeria in particular.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by babasin(m): 10:20pm On May 14, 2007
and yet Nigerians die like chicken on the roads, undecided cool grin
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by Tornadoz(m): 10:27pm On May 14, 2007
This is great news.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by naijaway(m): 11:16pm On May 14, 2007
@babasin, i don't think there's nowhere people don't die and u'r just overexagerrating. If people die like chicken in Nigeria i wonder about cameroun; Oh! i forgot, they don't have that much cars in cameroun compared to one state in Nigeria and still yet,
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by shango(m): 3:23am On May 15, 2007
thats how much we suck. We need other countries launching sattelites for us. We used to build our roads now the Chinese are doing it. What next. We will be contracting out our government jobs to the chinese? They will be supplying us water and telephone service and repairing our military vechiles?

News like this makes me ashamed to be from Nigeria.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by closetpervert(m): 3:47am On May 15, 2007
shango:

thats how much we suck. We need other countries launching sattelites for us. We used to build our roads now the Chinese are doing it. What next. We will be contracting out our government jobs to the chinese? They will be supplying us water and telephone service and repairing our military vechiles?

You can be ashamed to be a Nigerian - good for you - how many country in the whole world has a satellite in space talkless of building one themselves? U think say na to cook eba? Abi? Even some developed countries still source thier technology from other country so what is the big deal about China building a satellite for Nigeria? The problem with Nigerians is this, when you dont do anything, they shout that nothing is done, but when you do something, they still shout that it is not done well, so I wonder, how can you ever satisfy Nigerian?

I am angered by the fact that we as a people dont see anything good in what the government does.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by shango(m): 4:45am On May 15, 2007
I am angered by the fact that we as a people don't see anything good in what the government does.

Yes paying Chinese for launching sattelites but Nigerians do not have daily electricity and live in poverty. Nigerian government in action. Talk about misplaced priorities
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by NINETOFIVE(m): 5:08am On May 15, 2007
shango:

Yes paying Chinese for launching sattelites but Nigerians do not have daily electricity and live in poverty. Nigerian government in action. Talk about misplaced priorities

Shango, my dear friend you are quite in order but you are wrong a little, I 've always known that we would learn a lot from dealing with china, this at least is a start.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by Mariory(m): 12:46pm On May 15, 2007
shango:

http://www.satnews.com/stories2007/4451

Nigeria expects to earn $70 million annually from transponder leases on NigcomSat-1.
NigcomSat-1 is expected to save Nigerian broadband users more than $95 million a year, and provide Internet access to remote rural villages. It will save more than $660 million in phone-call charges and create some 150,000 jobs for Nigerians, said the government.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by Ikomi(m): 1:05pm On May 15, 2007
shango:

If u are as traditional as ur name points out, u would know the adage that says. "Whenever a man wakes up that is his morning". If Nigeria starts today pray that it lasts. If it decides to start tommorrow, pray that it meets u in good health.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by closetpervert(m): 3:44pm On May 15, 2007
the same people criticising now will be the same people to use the facilities provided by the launch of the satellite - stupid and ungrateful.
Re: China Launhes Nigeria Satelite. by New(m): 4:08pm On May 15, 2007
shango:

The UK doesn't launch its own satellites. it uses the European Space Agency. I believe, in western Europe, only France and Germany launch their own satellites

(1) (Reply)

Question For Lucky Igbinedion And His Attorney? / Fidel Castro Resigns As Cuba's President / What Economic Future Does Nigeria Have Outside Oil?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.