₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,319,040 members, 5,113,580 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2019 at 08:54 AM

Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! (31406 Views)

A Typical Face-me-i-face-you Occupants / "Doctors Told Me I Will Have A Child 5 Years After My Accident But Now" - Lady / Please Help Me, I Can't Live A Week Without Sleeping With Prostitutes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by AmericanDad: 10:42am On Aug 12
I do not know whats wrong with me! I do not know how to hold a conversation. I only reply with small talk. E.g I'm fine, Yes, no. I find it difficult to socialize and express views like others.

Even in the office, i just greet and pass or ask how is the family? Once they say fine, i may ask how was the weekend? They reply fine and my mind just goes blank. I dont have anything to talk about .

I also stutter when trying express my self sometimes and find it hard articulating a sentence without pauses and mumbling. I feel like a living dead cos i'm mostly isolated. Please what do i do?

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Richy4(m): 10:50am On Aug 12
I have no Idea that's even a Problem... You are the luckiest guy in the world if that's Just your only problem smiley

410 Likes 31 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Mrevildoer(m): 10:51am On Aug 12
Are u a stammerer?

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Allsingles(m): 10:53am On Aug 12
What is your relationship or marital status?
If you are in Relationship, how is the Relationship?
Is the Relationship moving well or not?
What about your Marriage?
These are what usually affect people.
When you allow the challenges you have in your Marriage or Relationship to control you, that's when you find yourself in this situation.

Let's discuss

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by ambivert27(f): 10:54am On Aug 12
Las las they sha understand what you are saying.

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by AmericanDad: 11:00am On Aug 12
Mrevildoer:
Are u a stammerer?

Yes i stammer

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by drips8(m): 11:01am On Aug 12
It seems you get anxious around people maybe that's why you stutter

Do you stutter even when you're relaxed?

As for the conversations, try and talk about your hobbies or theirs if you know

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by AmericanDad: 11:02am On Aug 12
Allsingles:
What is your relationship or marital status?
If you are in Relationship, how is the Relationship?
Is the Relationship moving well or not?
What about your Marriage?
These are what usually affect people.
When you allow the challenges you have in your Marriage or Relationship to control you, that's when you find yourself in this situation.

Let's discuss

Was married before but separated and about to be formally divorced. Can this be the cause

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by AmericanDad: 11:08am On Aug 12
drips8:
It seems you get anxious around people maybe that's why you stutter

Do you stutter even when you're relaxed?

As for the conversations, try and talk about your hobbies or theirs if you know

I stutter a little. Yes i usually get anxious and cant really think of anything to say. I wonder how people flow in conversations. I end up just asking questions instead of actually speaking. I have no sense of humor

31 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Mrevildoer(m): 11:34am On Aug 12
AmericanDad:

Yes i stammer

I once had a stammerer friend.. Try to pick your words bit by bit, don't be in a haste to respond to conversations.
Whenever it's your turn to talk, imagine you are in a conversation with a close relative. Relax your mind and let the word resound in your head before you spit em out.
And always try to control your temperament.. I sabi say stammerers dem dey aggressive
It will take time but you shall overcome.

Modified: as for the moderator who banned me in travel till 2051.. You think God will allow that unforgiving spirit in heaven? That's even if you make it there!

120 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by sisisioge: 11:45am On Aug 12
grin grin grin grin

You seem ok fa but if it bothers you so much, draw up a list of top ten social exchange. This should have greetings and some open ended questions. By the time you've gone through the ten, you would have had a good exchange.

Also, don't forget to allow some of their responses birth the next convo.

12 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Mystic2019: 11:55am On Aug 12
I hope some guy who created a thread on how boring some ladies are in conversations could stumble on this. This isn't even gender based, it has to do with a lot of factors which I can't really go into. I used to be like this, maybe I still am. It's not a problem if it doesn't affect your relationship in any way. Just be you. Be happy.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by AmericanDad: 12:06pm On Aug 12
Mystic2019:
I hope some guy who created a thread on how boring some ladies are in conversations could stumble on this. This isn't even gender based, it has to do with a lot of factors which I can't really go into. I used to be like this, maybe I still am. It's not a problem if it doesn't affect your relationship in any way. Just be you. Be happy.

What kind of factors
Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by NLmember: 12:20pm On Aug 12
Sounds like you have social anxiety.

Is it like this with every single person or only with people you don't really know or are not familiar with?

One way to help yourself is watching and learning how normal conversations flow so that you have an idea what to say when someone asks you a question in a social situation.
Eg

Guy how far

I dey o, how ur side

Na manage we dey manage oo Bros

You wey fresh like this? Wetin you want make persin like me talk if a whole you dey manage

Ma guy forget all na packaging

At least you get money to package na, your own good sef

I pray o, this next level wey all of us enter so, na god hand we dey

You still dey work for dat ur barbing salon wey you dey before

I still dey there o, how I go do na? I never see better work make I dey manage am first

Ahn ahn, you no come go work today? Abi na break you take wetin you come find for viewing center

Guy you sef sabi ask question like otondo before, today na public holiday na, make I dey go work public holiday? Na wa for you oo

And so on
grin grin grin grin grin

Practice makes perfect tongue

130 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by GboyegaD(m): 4:26pm On Aug 12
AmericanDad:
I do not know whats wrong with me! I do not know how to hold a conversation. I only reply with small talk. E.g I'm fine, Yes, no. I find it difficult to socialize and express views like others.

Even in the office, i just greet and pass or ask how is the family? Once they say fine, i may ask how was the weekend? They reply fine and my mind just goes blank. I dont have anything to talk about .

I also stutter when trying express my self sometimes and find it hard articulating a sentence without pauses and mumbling. I feel like a living dead cos i'm mostly isolated. Please what do i do?

Front page pls: cc: seun, lalasticlala

Perhaps, try to relax your self more when meeting people and if possible, discuss things that interest you and learn to know what interest others so that you have things to talk about. At some point, you will outgrow the anxiety.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Karleb(m): 5:41pm On Aug 12
Why don't you try alcohol?

It won't tell you what to say but it will unburden your mind. Mind you, it doesn't have to be ogogoro!

17 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by myfan: 6:51pm On Aug 12
AmericanDad:

Front page pls: cc: seun, lalasticlala

Bro, is this the only problem in your life? Then you have got not problem at all. If this is a problem, how about me who is unable to pay my fees? Now this is the real problem. Mind you, too much of gist can lead one into trouble.

9 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by czarina(f): 7:08pm On Aug 12
myfan:

Bro, is this the only problem in your life? Then you have got not problem at all. If this is a problem, how about me who is unable to pay my fees? Now this is the real problem. Mind you, too much of gist can lead one into trouble.
nawa for you.

12 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by calgaryFriend: 7:13pm On Aug 12
@OP your problem is as a result of not reading enough, you need to imbibe the culture of reading wide, read dailymail.com, cnn, read economic news, you could even read about slavery, just focus on a subject and immerse yourself in it.

The reason you lack confidence is because your head is empty. Just like the majority of Nigerian youths, and that is why they cannot hold any meaning ful conversation, they are mostly blank.

So read journals, articles, newspapers dont just be reading mills and boons.

91 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by blank(f): 7:22pm On Aug 12
^^^^

Please, don't listen to him. Both are not connected at all.

You can search on Youtube and get material on "The art of Conversation". It's a skill you need to build the same way you build people skills or listening skills, etc. Practice makes perfect.

8 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by wunmi590(m): 8:18pm On Aug 12
:o6
Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by IbrahimSkiba(f): 8:18pm On Aug 12
Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by EkunKekere: 8:18pm On Aug 12
This is considered a problem?
Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Angelawhite(m): 8:18pm On Aug 12
Op are you got tempered ? grin
Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by SugarMuffin(f): 8:19pm On Aug 12
Na different problems dey this world oo

2 Likes

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by englishmart(m): 8:20pm On Aug 12
We have more imperative issue bordering us. This is way too trivial to talk about

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by Jh0wsef(m): 8:20pm On Aug 12
Hmm.. that's serious
Meanwhile, join the ongoing masterclass

Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by IbrahimSkiba(f): 8:20pm On Aug 12
AmericanDad:

You need some hard fuvk
Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by NaijaOlosho(f): 8:21pm On Aug 12
grin grin

Parrot
Re: Please Help Me! I Cant Talk! by nicerod(m): 8:21pm On Aug 12
No need to rush while talking.

Talk slowly

U can buy a recorder for practices

Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Tattoos His Late Mother's Face In His Hand (Photos) / Can I Start A Family With 70k? / Nigerians Watched An Abandoned Baby Cry Herself To Death Becos Of Fear Of Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.