Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually (30197 Views)

Nigerians Spend N767.23bn On Airtime In 3 Months / Nigerians Spend More Time On Bet9ja Than Any Other Site Daily (2017 Ranking) / Top 10 Things Nigerians Spend Their Money On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by drips8(m): 9:54pm On Aug 12, 2019
Nigerians are very optimistic people

They believe they'll make it with the next game and when that fails, they'll still keep going on with the next and the next

It's a cycle

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Tpave(m): 9:55pm On Aug 12, 2019
It helps in making our youths more lazy. Some of these guys ambition is on bet.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by denjjy(m): 9:56pm On Aug 12, 2019
get daily 5odds at liobet.com and thanks me later.
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by omenpetrol: 9:56pm On Aug 12, 2019
To smart to bet. The house always wins. I rather own a bet shop than bet.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Opexzy: 9:58pm On Aug 12, 2019
Wow
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by MartinsD12(m): 9:59pm On Aug 12, 2019
Aonkuuse:
Nigerians spend over 730 billion Naira annually on sports betting and at least two billion naira is generated daily, recent research data shows.

Data also revealed that over 60 million Nigerian punters spend over 3, 000 naira daily placing bet stakes. At least there are 50 betting sites in Nigeria with the number growing annually.

Respondents, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday, said they placed bets to generate quick and easy income, and turn their passion for football into cash.

28-year-old Fashion designer, Segun Mukoro who bets at least once weekly said that it was the fastest way to double his income and although he might lose sometimes, the wins come big.

He said, “Yes I bet and I do so weekly, especially when there is a league playing. When you have been betting for long, it’s easier to know what odds to play and what teams to bet on.

“It is a guessing game and you get better with time. I know that it is addictive but I see it as an investment, a way to double my income,” Mukoro said.

Similarly, 23-year-old Eronini Kolapo explained that he used betting to augment his allowance as a student. He told newsmen that he started for fun, at first but soon built a network from it.

Kolapo’s almost-perfect predictions made him a leader of his sport betting ring where his peers pay him extra to place ‘sure’ bets for them.

His model is not strange as website and online channels where predictions are sold to help punters maximise betting stakes, populate social media.

However, there are tons of fraudulent platforms.

30-year-old Noble Obioria sold his agro-business and combined the proceeds with his savings to purchase predictions from a fraudulent channel that swindled him.

He spent almost one million naira trying to place a ‘sure’ stake with hope of making over ten million naira in return.

He told newsmen that losing all his money helped him realise how addicted he was to betting and how much he had given to the greed and dissatisfaction that came with regular betting.

Obioria also agreed with respondents who said that the presence of betting sites and platforms online made it too easy and fuelled the desire to place stakes.

Research statistics show that over 14 million bet stakes and payments are made over the internet every day. This, however, does not affect the rate of teeming punters at offline, physical shops.

A betting shop attendant, Niyi Adejujagbe said that he gets at least 500 stakes placed in his shop daily, adding that he has a crowd of punters as early as 9 am.

He said, “People place bets here every day. They still use shops very well because some don’t know how to use the websites and other people like to see their paper bet slips.”

NAN reports that in five betting shops visited, there were only two women placing bets each a part of two male-dominated groups.

Jennifer Olisa said she enjoyed the process as she loved football and wanted to make money from it.

On the low participation of women in betting, she said women try to be more careful, especially with money.

She added that she took the risks to bet as her prediction most times, worked. However, she gets help from her male friends who had been betting for longer.

A psychologist, Dr Aimua Cole said that betting and gambling had high tendency to lead to depression in addicts, adding that it takes a toll on victim’s mental health.

She said, “Gambling addiction could lead to other serious effects, including loss of jobs, failed relationships, and severe debt.

“Problem gambling is often associated with mental health problems, including depression, anxiety, and mood disorders.”

She also decried the high advertising rates of betting sites glamourized the habit, leading more young people to indulge in the addictive act.

NAN also reports that leading betting platform Bet9ja took its advertising a notch higher by sponsoring the ongoing Big Brother Naija reality show.

This fourth season tagged ‘Pepper Dem’ designs games where housemates win Bet9ja coins with which they can purchase favours.

Meanwhile, outside the house, fans are encouraged to place bets using the links of the 25 housemates that were introduced into the show to support their favourite housemates.

Source: https://www.today.ng/technology/nigerians-spend-n730-billion-sports-betting-annually-241934/amp
Money dey this side sha but I no Sabi bet anything at all
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by millionboi2: 9:59pm On Aug 12, 2019
Criticaltemp:
Legendary... Betting is evil.. It leads to serious depression.. I can vividly remember a friend of mine back in school who committed suicide just because he lost a lot of money to betting..now he is rotting in d grave..
wat works for one may not work 4d Oda

God oversees Dem all
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by alezzy13: 10:00pm On Aug 12, 2019
Ikpeazukerosene:

Next time you want to bet, have the numbers written down in a piece of paper but don't play it.

After the game, you'll see that the numbers are useless but you won't lose your money.

Brilliant!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by iammolise(m): 10:00pm On Aug 12, 2019
Na awoof dey purge belle... When ur Mobile network providers has given u data at a fee u say is too much... Oya get ur 5k back na grin

Mtn. Glo. Airtel will be laffin u in Swahili as we speak cheesy
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Ladotrader(m): 10:01pm On Aug 12, 2019
If they never chop your money u will be never be wise
Especially the fast bet ....the virtual soccer bet
We that virtual they chop millions within 3 min..
That shit don make my life turn to something else but thank God Im a changed man
But if they show the winning ticket Omo Na scam ooooooo
See if you never being there you won't ever know how it went ...
We don't see am and then don chop our money ...
Thank God for life

6 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by chloride6: 10:02pm On Aug 12, 2019
Fxwarrior:
grin. Carry Man city win and nack it #1 million, omo na #300 k profit o. Oil money.

Until they lose na

grin
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by alezzy13: 10:02pm On Aug 12, 2019
But seriously, do people actually make money from these bets? I.e aside the owners of the betting platforms

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Ikpeazukerosene: 10:03pm On Aug 12, 2019
drips8:
Nigerians are very optimistic people

They believe they'll make it with the next game and when that fails, they'll still keep going on with the next and the next

It's a cycle

In a hopeless society like Nigeria, every false hope is big business.

Betting companies promise wins.
Churches promise unmerited favour and Heaven.
Muslims promise Barka and Al-janna.
Traditionalists are the cause of rituals everywhere.

The business of giving hope is a big business. If you tap into it, you'll make money from desperate Nigerians.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Danma(m): 10:04pm On Aug 12, 2019
I sold my plot of land almost 3y years now, without my mom knowing about it up till now. I also sell my bike � and ram � all because of this bet , I was thinking thati will win.. But thank god now, I stop betting

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Delaw00(m): 10:05pm On Aug 12, 2019
How hard v u strike him pls no vex oo
me self wan strikecheesy
Nostradamus:
Hehe

Everybody wants the money,alabi is also trying to squeeze more from the punters!!

Check my signature to strike alabi very hard.
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by iammolise(m): 10:06pm On Aug 12, 2019
Some call it gambling... I call it investment grin

But bet9ja owner will be swimming in a money bathtub right bout now... Something all punters ought to reason once in a while.
Betting won't make u rich; Establishment will

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by SirLakes: 10:09pm On Aug 12, 2019
Chai, me sef contribute join this money grin
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 12, 2019
alezzy13:
But seriously, do people actually make money from these bets? I.e aside the owners of the betting platforms
yeah, it's just luck, hit big and run..
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Billyanger(m): 10:12pm On Aug 12, 2019
100 naira at hand is valueable than 100 million printed on paper. it's insane to be chasing illusions. you don't just loose money, you loose time and mental chasing nothin. Wise up!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by selfmadeOLX(m): 10:14pm On Aug 12, 2019
So how much has been won annually?

The math gats add up oo grin
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Nobody: 10:14pm On Aug 12, 2019
denjjy:
get daily 5odds at liobet.com and thanks me later.

Na dem

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by DameB(f): 10:15pm On Aug 12, 2019
How does one cash in on this? 2 billion dollars nor be small money shocked shocked
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Bizibi(m): 10:16pm On Aug 12, 2019
Some people divest their money to betting, even the big boys bet.
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by 4gunners(m): 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2019
Tajbol4splend:
Which angle you no go find bet9ja shop now
Everywhere. From the highbrow area to the lowbrow area.
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by bentwood85(m): 10:17pm On Aug 12, 2019
Ikpeazukerosene:

Next time you want to bet, have the numbers written down in a piece of paper but don't play it.

After the game, you'll see that the numbers are useless but you won't lose your money.

How?
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Automatic3344: 10:18pm On Aug 12, 2019
wwwtortoise:
grin

Alabi boys contributing to the growth of our national GDP.

Let's gather here to celebrate the recognition our betting loyalty has brought us. Please if you find yourself in any of these categories, kindly use the exit door
- those whose tickets are longer than tissue papers grin

- the 'aaahh! na only one cut am' cheesy

- those that use #100 to pursue 4million shocked ( you need the fear of God and not the money)

OBO
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Bewiseedet(m): 10:22pm On Aug 12, 2019
Some of my classmate @betking
Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by Nobody: 10:27pm On Aug 12, 2019
Youth Empowermentgringrin Dem go just de chop guys and d guys be like i go catch dem one day. Always use ur brain de no go hearangry how many bettors don reach or pass Dangote?grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Spend N730 Billion On Sports Betting Annually by tillaman(m): 10:28pm On Aug 12, 2019
Damn that much?
Aja nsare owo njona

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Biography Of Pretty Nollywood Actress Helen Enado Odigie / Top Ten Football Betting Tips/prediction Sites On Tips180 / How My Generosity Landed Me Into Trouble (a Must Read)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.