Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,994 members, 7,806,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 AM

Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? (1463 Views)

Joint Business Group. Let Form A Manufacturing Business / Private Jets Owned By Wealthy Nigerians And Their Costs / Top Ten Private Jets Owned By Wealthy Nigerians And How Much They Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by disturbed(m): 9:47pm On May 14, 2007
my bro was telling bout how he and his friends started a business for over 2 to 3 years now.
they came together to start a business out of friendship but he's been complaining the business is not growing.

they are almost breakin up now

i told him the reason for the business not growin is cos since they are all friends they all dont do things they are supposed to do cos no one is bigger that the other one.
and also, the are too much. . .6 people owning a comany is too much. .

or wat do u guys think
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by Rebirth(m): 10:27pm On May 14, 2007
it's not too much but it can be a burden if they all want to be hands-on in the running of the business. they just have to define their roles carefully and thoughtfully.
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by disturbed(m): 10:50pm On May 14, 2007
and another problem is this,
who heads the team
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by Loads: 11:17pm On May 14, 2007
6 people owning a business is not too much but 6 people controling a business is too much. I have a business in which i own with 4 of my friends one of the first things we did was sharing responsibilities and appointing a CEO that makes all the day to day decisions and any major decision will go to the board. They need to diffrentiate their friendship from the business as the two should not mix.
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by outlaws(m): 12:24am On May 15, 2007
cool

They need to be enemies at work and friends after work. Responsibility goes first to the richest person and then the older person and continues that way. That's one of the only ways they can do it.

I have set up my business, is ready to go, but I am waiting for the cash to fuel it. I don't need any one [friends or enemies] to share the profits with.
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by teddyface(m): 12:30am On May 15, 2007
for the qus. its possible. but one thing ought to have been done from the beginning.RULES FOR RUNNING THE BIZ
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by Ndipe(m): 2:53am On May 15, 2007
Have you heard of the saying, "Too many cooks spoil the broth"? One chef, might want to add salt to the soup, another cook would complain that it is oversalted, the third would propose adding "Ajino moto", and so on. Be realistic, while they have been sucessful biz ran by multiple individuals, it takes more than maturity, and a display of business acumen to make it work.
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by closetpervert(m): 2:56am On May 15, 2007
of course - i ran a brothel with my friends for ten years - its still up till today - who says its not possible?
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by uspry1(f): 3:31am On May 15, 2007
You all 6 friends must have formed a partnership agreement running a business. All 6 partners must share equal 100% profit by 6 split profit earning. (16% each equally) A partnership agreement must be drawn by your own attorney.

All 6 partners must have proper titles how to run business as follow below: (give an example)

One CEO president - earn 16% profit
One CEO vice president - earn 16% profit
One treasurer/bookkeeping/finance - earn 16% profit
One secretary/telemarketer/errand boy - earn 16% profit
One marketing/promotion coordinator - earn 16% profit
One distribution/duplication coordinator (whatever title will be) - earn 16% profit.

Based on the partnership agreement that all 6 partners MUST AGREED how to distribute all earning profit by split in 16% each. If not working, then partnership will be DIVORCED and SHUT DOWN BUSINESS/SELL BUSINESS to someone else or get new partners.
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by Soundmind(m): 9:42am On May 15, 2007
I totally agree with Loads.
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by omokenny(m): 10:32am On May 15, 2007
If six people owns the business is not much i can tell you that. But if all the six people want to be the Director or manager is too much.But either own by six people or more than that the best thing is co-operation among them.
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by disturbed(m): 12:02pm On May 15, 2007
i totally agree with the too many cook adage. . 6 seems kind of alot. they are all of the same age so choosin a head would be a hard thing because none of them has an advantage over the other to qualify for the position.
so even if one person is chosen as head, does he have the final say?? remember they all own the business and one person cannot call the shots. so if the head doesnt have a final say, what then is he doin as head? it all goes back to square one.

i think having friends in a business is harmful. they dont really put their hearts to the work because no one can scold them . . . .i mean, we are all friends aren't we?
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by moondust(m): 12:09pm On May 15, 2007
no!
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by justkunmi(m): 12:18pm On May 15, 2007
i totally agree with disturbed.

workin with friends can be very very annoying. i mean, they dont do the work like strangers would. they dont put their hearts to the job since they are all equal.

its better workin strangers. they give u the respect are due. . .not friends. they carry the friendship into the business and eventuall kills it
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by seun001(m): 2:58pm On May 15, 2007
ONCE YOU KNOW U ARE GOING INTO A PARTNERSHIP WITH UR FRIEND,U CEASE TO BE FRIENDS AND U AV BECOME PARTNERS.IN FACT 6 PEOPLE IS TOO SMALL because THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE AFFECTS THE POOLING OF RESOURCES TOGETTHERE ARE LAWS GOVERNING PARTNERSHIPS WHICH MUST BE FULFILLED BEFORE U CAN BE REGISTERED IN THE FIRST PLACE.SO THERES NO ROOM FOR UNDERPERFOMANCE.ITS ONLY WHEN U DONT FOLLOW THE RULES RECOGNISED BY LAW THAT TROUBLE SETS IN.COS AFTER SOMETIME A PARTNER MAY BECOME LAZY AND REFUSE TO PERFORM HIS OBLIGATIONS.ALSO A PARTNER MUST HAVE A STAKE ON THE SUCCESS OF THE BUSINESS ,THIS THEREFORE WILL MAKE HIM SERIOUS.

ITS JUST THIS AFRICAN MENTALITY OF OWNING YOUR BUSINESS THAT DISALLOWS US FROM HAVE  CONGLOMERATES LIKE THE AMERICANS.CHEERS
Re: Can A Joint Business Owned By 6 Friends Work? by justkunmi(m): 4:46pm On May 16, 2007
it still goes down to the fct that they all av to put their friendship behind and become workers.
whenever the freindship wants to interfere with work, it causes a lotta stbacks
so if u have to own a bizness with ur friends, know the risks involved but put the friendship aside and WORK

(1) (Reply)

Help / In Need Of 400,000 Naira Loan: / We Have A Cat 966g 2001 Model Payloader For Quick Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.