Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,412 members, 7,808,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:25 PM

Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill (3230 Views)

Saraki Won’t Benefit From Code Of Conduct Act Amendment — Senate / Lawyers To Sue NASS On CCB/CCT Amendment Bill / Senate Rushes Passage Of CCB Act Amendment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by ferari9o: 8:41pm On Oct 20, 2010
By Emmanuel Ogala

October 20, 2010 03:10PM
Print print Email email Share Share

The senate, this morning threw out an executive bill seeking to amend the 2010 electoral act. The move is expected to come as a setback to President Goodluck Jonathan's campaign in particular.

The bill which was sent to the lawmakers by the president some weeks ago is seeking, amongst other things, to amend the 2010 electoral act in a way that will enable political office holders and their aides to participate as delegates at political party primaries. This would have enabled members of President Jonathan's cabinet to vote as delegates in the upcoming primaries.

The bill also seeks to transfer the power to determine the sequence of elections from the law to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and accommodate the anticipated time line changes to the constitution.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5632742-146/senate_throws_out_electoral_act_amendment.csp
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by excanny: 12:03am On Oct 21, 2010
Taking that bill to the National Assembly in the first place was unnecessary and aimed at promoting personal interests and unfair advantage.

I'm not surprised at the outcome.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 11:03am On Oct 21, 2010
And yet Jonathan claims to be committed to free and fair election. Talk about deforming the reform.

This is how Jonathan's world will come crashing when push comes to shove. I thought the Jonathan/Sambo team claims they have the NASS in the bag? Forget all the fake endorsements.

In one week NASS has correctly killed Jonathan's foreign borrowing bill, and electoral DEform bill.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 21, 2010
You know Jonathan has done the indefensible when the Jonny Boy crowd boycott your thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by ogazi007(m): 1:26pm On Oct 21, 2010
That is good for him.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:36pm On Oct 21, 2010
Jonathan is a fake.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by snowdrops(m): 2:17pm On Oct 21, 2010
he probably did not pay them enough bribe/ghana must go
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by marcdunu: 2:26pm On Oct 21, 2010
Shame on Jonathan for plotting to steal the elections through the back door.

It is fair to say the rigging has started.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by marcdunu: 2:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
With all the talk by experts about the the for internal democracy, I can not believe the so called God ordained change candidate Jonathan will try to put his personal ambition over a credible electoral process.

This guy is a common thief!
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by bkbabe97y(m): 3:31pm On Oct 21, 2010
Ok, I admit I dont know that much about your country, but, em. . . this Jonathan dude seems to be just a big a crook as those opponents of his (i.e GeN.IBB) that he criticizes and denigrates.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by asamuel: 4:10pm On Oct 21, 2010
Shop for all your books, DVDs, Electronics, games, computers, cameras, toys, etc at www.kalahari.com.ng.

Don't miss out!!!!!!
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by md4real(m): 4:19pm On Oct 21, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Ok, I admit I dont know that much about your country, but, em. . . this Jonathan dude seems to be just a big a crook as those opponents of his (i.e GeN.IBB) that he criticizes and denigrates.
exactly, all politicians in Nigeria are very corrupt and dirty.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by ExInferis(m): 4:22pm On Oct 21, 2010
in roughly twenty to thirty minutes, some gawdawful delusioned babbling id10t will appear and start offering lame excuses that GEJ DID not send the "reform bill", that Dokpesi did at the prompting of IBB, and that its Northern senators trying to set asunder what god hath ordained.

PROOF:

"did you send the reform bill to Dokpesi?"

"na we do am. meet me  make i brief you"

"lets meet at IBB campaign office"

19 minutes.  .   .  

18 minutes, ,  . .
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 21, 2010
Ex Inferis:

in roughly twenty to thirty minutes, some gawdawful delusioned babbling id10t will appear and start offering lame excuses that GEJ DID not send the "reform bill", that Dokpesi did at the prompting of IBB, and that its Northern senators trying to set asunder what god hath ordained.

PROOF:

"na we do am. meet me make i brief you"

19 minutes. . .

18 minutes, , . .

LOL

Good has ordained it. It is by providence, he is without blemish, he is the lesser devil.

If you support GEJ then you are supporting the moral, God ordained agenda . . . . if you are not then you must be lucifer's incarnate.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 21, 2010
The President is not sincere in this regards. The Electoral process is getting cleaner and cleaner daily.

Even if National Assembly appended that bill, I would have called them "silly".

Who ever wins, has my patriotism, Be it IBB, GEJ, Antelope, Millipede or Baboon, they are all the same pdp bullsh(i)t.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by RICHIEBOI1(m): 4:41pm On Oct 21, 2010
i think the true colours of GEJ is gradually coming out. amending the electoral act for his own selfish gain.  angry
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by soldee: 4:45pm On Oct 21, 2010
Ex Inferis:

PROOF:

"na we do am. meet me  make i brief you"

19 minutes.  .   .  

18 minutes, ,  . .

LOL!! grin grin grin LWKMD!! With GEJs level of sophistication he should have been left at the Local Govt. Level - and spared us all this tragic comedy grin grin
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Gbawe: 4:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
I have stated it many times that Jonathan is "more of the same" . He does not enjoy genuine endorsement hence the reason he has never , at any stage , tried to test his popularity legitimately . He has spent money yet many "chopped his dollar" and still remain ideologically uncommited to his unpopular ambition .

Shame on Jonathan!!! This is a total disgrace and absolute proof that this President is an election rigger (as if the Ekiti guber election did not show that already )who has no intention of repecting the decision of the electorate . Nigerians wan't policies and laws that promote democracy yet Jonathan is trying to drag us back to the dark ages . Why does he not try to amend the electoral bill so that his cats and dogs , rather than card carrying PDP members alone , can vote at the PDP Primaries ?

The Senators, even as we all criticise them constantly, make it clear that they responded to the clamour of Nigerians for better democratic practice within the political Parties as the precursor to free elections.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/21/national-21-10-2010-001.htm

As soon as the Senate Leader finished reading the lead debate, Senator Kabiru Gaya (ANPP Kano) immediately stood up calling on the Senate to throw out the bill outrightly, saying, it was a bad and selfish one, which concentrated only on the interest of the Presidency without an iota of consideration for the collective interest of Nigerians and growth of democracy.
According to Gaya; “we have worked tirelessly on this bill and Nigerians commended the National Assembly, particularly the Senate for a job well done for bringing the desired process when we amended the Electoral Act. The proposed Bill is attempting to kill all the work we have done for years. The problem in the past years is that we did not have internal democracies in the parties and that is why we had to go through all these.

Nobody wan't a repeat of what OBJ got away with in enforcing Yar Adua on the PDP and , ultimately , on Nigeria. That Jonathan would act this desperately is proof he will be a huge disaster if given four years  . Jonathan lectures Nigerians that our progress will come from the citizens being able to elect their own candidate while rejecting those they feel cannot move Nigeria forward . What is Jonathan then doing , if not decietful double-speak, with his actions that show he is unwilling to accept free and fair screening of his electoral popularity?

The Train is running out of steam and the wheels are falling off at the same time. Too bad.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 21, 2010
The thread seems to be going well because GEJ's propangada machines on NLD seem to be having some 'engine' problems. But they might have abandoned their 'God-ordained' presido because they are still thinking of a way to defend him on this matter. Where dem dey !
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by ExInferis(m): 4:59pm On Oct 21, 2010
soldee:

LOL!! grin grin grin LWKMD!! With GEJs level of sophistication he should have been left at the Local Govt. Level - and spared us all this tragic comedy grin grin

judge NOT a man by the brim of his hat but by the company he keeps.

anyone who handbags OBJ must not wish nigeria and nigerians well.

there is nothing in GEJ's manners, carriage, disposition, speech, wardrobe, mien and composure to impress him upon us as anything other than a simpleton who rouses our best jokes.

but the proper indication of GEJs unfitness is his irksome, baggy-eyed, roughly-hewn village madam of a wife.

"the president was once a child".   .   . really? who'd have thunk it?

"the senators were once a children".   .   uh oh   shocked
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Gbawe: 5:08pm On Oct 21, 2010
bk.babe97y:

He is . He is a totally selfish opportunist focused on what he want's alone. As we speak there is a judicial crisis in Ogun State caused by Jonathan's campaign manager in the region. Instead of santioning the culprit Jonathan actually made him his campaign manager right in the middle of the judicial crisis that , for any half decent C in C , must take far greater precedence above jonathan's electoral campaign needs . Worse , the crisis was initiated to steal 100 billion Naira which all Nigerians know is 'retirement funds' for the outgoing Governor (Jonathan's campaign manager) who is due to step down in May since he has used his legally allowed 8 years consisting of two terms of 4 years.

It does not take rocket science analysis for one to conclude that Jonathan is abetting open gansterism, brazen criminality and outright stealing !!!! Tomorrow he talks of fighting corruption !!!!! That he even has supporters is completely down to ethnic bigotry i.e those from his region back him blindly (despite numerous signs that he is a disaster) while those who are not from his region ,yet support him, are primarily propelled by a desire to see the North denied of power even if their candidate may be the best man for the Job !!!! We have issues in Nigeria right?
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2010
this is like the dustbin thread - with a deafening silence from the loudest disciples of saint gej lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by mrofficial(m): 5:39pm On Oct 21, 2010
LWKMD cheesy cheesy cheesy

PDP is very corrupt! Every PDP member!
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by ezegold4we: 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2010
first of all,i want to commend the national assembly for a job well done by defeating the ugly monster called jega,sorry jona,sorry jona-down and his inordinate ambition to rule nigeria at all host.

secondly i want to say that there is no how u will dine with the devil and still come out as a saint,never,the point i want to draw here is this,how will jona-down be hobnobbing with obj,aninih,and the vulgar from the ss called edwin clarke and we still expect him to be honorable,never.

thirdly,i want to say that if i am jega,the inec chairman,even if the social club called pdp gives jona-down their presidential flag,there is no how i will declare him the winner because he cant win,but am not jega.

look at the harvoc and the type of democratic setback the idiot called jona is trying to put this nation into in this 21st century where small countries like liberia,ghana and others r on the fast lane of economic,political and other forms recovery,thats to show us that this guys mind is not at work at all.

what and what r the factors u can use to  acess jona-down as a president of the largest black nation,nothing nothing and i said nothing,i pray for my country nigeria

dear fellow nairlanders,pls pdp is not a party,its a social club of monsters,if we are looking for a change,then lets begin to look for buhari or ribahdu,the two are the candidates of the type of change we need.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
oyb:

this is like the dustbin thread - with a deafening silence from the loudest disciples of saint gej lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

I think we need to set up a thread which will be an archive of things the GEJ supporters don't wanna talk about.

1. Importation of dustbins
2. Deforming the 2010 electoral reform and subsequent rejection by NASS
3. Rejection of Jonathan's Foreign loan by NASS
4. Curiously they don't also like to post videos of their hero giving speeches (How come a fan does not want to see his Hero on video? Very curious)
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by excanny: 5:54pm On Oct 21, 2010
This is usually a prelude to 'operation rigging' a la OBJ.

I'm for once happy with the NASS for not allowing themselves to be used.  

We need to pre-empt this kind of unfair moves lest we contradict all what we are trying to achieve.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 21, 2010
4. Curiously they don't also like to post videos of their hero giving speeches (How come a fan does not want to see his Hero on video? Very curious)

snippets of our CinC are there

GAR3TH:

Found this on youtube. . .thought i'll share it with you guys. . .it was pretty interesting and basically sums up whats happening

[flash=640,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xTHEgEInU?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

GAR3TH:

[flash=640,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk7HmSf9hhk?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 21, 2010
oyb:

Bros, have u noticed how smooth this thread dey go? These GEJ's disciples are nothing but Viruses on NLD. Wey dem! nowhere to be found
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Gbawe: 6:48pm On Oct 21, 2010
jabbok:

Bros, have u noticed how smooth this thread dey go? These GEJ's disciples are nothing but Viruses on NLD. Wey dem! nowhere to be found

Even the most desperate of Jonathan's Nairaland desperados will not show their face here same as how Anini and Shina Rambo will agree, in the face of damning and incontrovertible evidence, without the slightest arguement , that they are guilty as charged .
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by Dede1(m): 7:18pm On Oct 21, 2010
Without massive rigging of the election, GEJ can not win Bayelsa with ease talk less of Nigeria. Democracy is a game of numbers and last time I checked, the number is not on side of GEJ.
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by monkeyleg: 7:59pm On Oct 21, 2010
See people the discuss in Nigeria should be what other options do we have. PDP has destroyed our dear country, and I would like them to remain in power. Let's all leave tribe and sentiments aside and choose something different for once.

Why are we not considering Ribadu, whats wrong with Pat Utomi. We must try something different, we must all be active and change the face of politics for the good of our children. Please let it not be business as usual
Re: Senate Throws Out Electoral Act Amendment Bill by delchimi: 9:10am On Oct 22, 2010
I  really appriciate the Courage of The  SENATE for now becouse,THE ENDS JUSTIFY THE MEANS.This is what Nigerians  are espected fron the sanate for long.As for PDP,The party is not totally corrupt but alot need to be done for Nigerias to have cofidence in the party but as for me.I prefar ACN and CPC. cheesy grin shocked cool[code][/code]

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Top Oil Producing States. Based On Revenue. / Osun Election: Omisore Lambasts Aregbesola; Says Incumbent Governor Is A Thug / Obiano Inspects Mega Projects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.