Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,332 members, 7,808,141 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:41 AM

Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos (4487 Views)

Why IGP Abba Was Fired By President Jonathan / Meet Solomon Aranse, Police Inspector General (Acting) / Anambra Ordered Arrest and Deportation Of Child beggars in 2011. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 20, 2010
When in 1999, Dickson Utuke, a Nigerian based in Germany visited home and saw his elder sister and her husband, an Inspector of Police, living from hand to mouth, he was shaken to his bone marrows. He quickly took far-reaching decisions aimed at improving their lives.

Part of the decisions included an urgent need to re-locate them from their base in Port-Harcourt, Rivers State, to Lagos where they would be able to manage his vast business interests which included importation of cars and other accessories, and live a better life. This, he accomplished and went ahead to engage the in-law in other businesses including, sending huge sums of money for different projects like buildings etc, at home.

Unfortunately, few years later, things started taken a different dimension. Cracks started showing in their business relationship triggering off suspicion and distrust. In fact, the center could no longer hold and the Police Inspector had no option than to resign his Directorship of a thriving company they earlier registered. Their disagreement took a more dastardly dimension after Dickson rushed back home to claim some of his properties only to end up inside a Police cell.

The in-law allegedly wrote a petition to the Police in Lagos alleging that he was owing him a\bout N25m and that was how he found himself inside the dreaded cells in Lagos. Succor, however came his way few days later when detectives that investigated the case passed a verdict of ‘case to answer’ in his favor. In fact, the Police detectives from anti-vice unit of Lagos State Police command ended up saying that the petition was merely a set up against he German-based Nigerian.

Following this relief, and considering the fact that he was unable to recover all the money he invested in his business with the in-law, he proceeded straight to Force Headquarters, Abuja with a petition to the Inspector-General of Police pleading for protection and recovery of his hard-earned investments and money from the Police Inspector serving at the Area F in Lagos. Based on this, Police authorities swiftly dispatched some detectives from IGP monitoring unit to Lagos and they arrested the Inspector. The man at the center of the whole drama, Dickson Utuke narrated his pathetic story to Crime Alert.

Excerpts;

I am German Citizen.I am from Umunede, Delta State of Nigeria, I traveled to Germany in the year 1991. In 1999 when I visited, my senior brother who is a school principal asked me to visit my sister who is the only girl in our family, called Caroline. She is married to a police Corporal, David Afam Egbon, from Owa Oluku also in Delta State. So when I got the police barrack, they were leaving in a two- room apartment with their children, a girl and a boy. My sister asked me to help them if there is any way I could. I said okay, because I was already doing business then in Lagos with an old classmate. I asked them at that point if they would like to come over to Lagos because most of my business interests were in Lagos and they quickly accepted. I gave them money, clothes and other provisions I brought from Europe.

The man told me that his transfer to Lagos would cost him some money and he does not have enough to make it possible. I asked how much it will cost and he said N90,000. I was bringingg buses at that point in time. I sold the buses and from it’s proceeds, I gave him the money he requested. Some months later, he called to inform me that his transfer was successful and I arrangeed with a younger brother who is currently living in Austria, to rent a flat for him and my other brother who is in Europe so that when ever we return home, we would have a place to stay.

After they got the house at Amadiya, Lagos, I furnished it for them. I also bought my sister an L300 Bus and David Honda Prelude to effect their movement and gave her money to start business by first getting a shop. When she could not get a shop, I asked her to build one. This was around 2001and 2002. I also gave her money to build the shop at Amadiya where she started selling bags of rice and beans. I also sent down a car for them to use as taxi. I then started the shipment of buses, trucks and some other vehicles.

After a while, I told them that I needed a formal company registration by him for me. So, when the Insp
ector could not get any name, I sent him a German name called Ruhr Merchant. I also gave him the names of my wife and my children and it was incorporated and I started shipment to this young man, in container, truck, buses and trailer. In the beginning, he was returning money back to me after sales. I also made my sister a signatory to my account because I trusted her. I bought many other cars including, Honda Prelude, L300 bus, Prevail, C-Class Mercedes and a Gulf for them.

So we started, and every thing was working out well. I, not only promised to train their children to every level of education but, started paying school fees for one of them. We continued and it got to a time when one of my customers visited me in Europe. I had some financial problems, money were not fort coming from the consignment I sent to Nigeria.

After some time , I called my in- law and I asked him to tell me how much money I have in my account. As at that time, I knew, based on the consignment I sent to him in Nigeria, I should have deposit close to N25m in my account in Nigeria. By then, I had a value of 18 L300 loaded with electronics, two trucks and two containers sent to him and when I requested for my bank statement, he would tell me that the bank manager was on leave and he would return in three months time.

One day, I received this customer from Nigeria in my office in Germany, some thing rang on his phone and it was an SMS and when I inquired what it was, he told me that he just got a credit alert from his bank in Nigeria and that some one just paid two million naira into his account. I asked how is that possible and he told me that there is bank alert system that will update you of any bank transactions and I told him that I have never heard of it before.

So, I took my phone in my office and I called my in-law to know the amount of money I have in my account and at that point in time, the rough estimate of the value of cash in his custody was N15 million. He told me that the bank manager is sick and will be back in three months. I then asked him to send details of all the business we transacted so far including the cash at hand,  He kept on promising to do so without success.

At a stage, he started threatening me saying that he has information that I am very rich in Europe and that he will even be coming over there to know how much money I have there so that we can share it. He openly threatened that I should not come to Nigeria again because if I come, he would kill me. He went further to send messages to my telephone saying that if I want to come back to Nigeria, I should write a will for my three sons and my wife, because he will make sure he dealt with me.

These threats continued. but I defiled them maintaining the facts that I actually brought the couple to Lagos and also to the place at Unity Plaza in Alaba International Market where I arranged that he should be trained on how to help me manage my business.

I defiled these threats and I came back to Nigeria. When I arrived Nigeria, he arranged with his colleagues from the anti vice and I was arrested for allegedly taken N25m from him because I came and posed like a building contractor to the Federal Government of Nigeria and he borrowed the money and since then I have vanished.

Luckily, after their investigation, the Policemen saw that it was a cover up and released me unconditionally. Interestingly, when the Police wanted me to bail myself, I told them that I don’t have any money with me. That my in-law has crippled my business and I am highly indebted in Germany. I have been unable to pay the shipping line that allows me credit facility in Germany.

That my in-law used my money to build a house in his village and send his daughter overseas for studies, that he had also taken over all the landed properties I gave him money to buy for me, that I am also indebted to my landlord at my warehouse in Germany, I’m indebted to the bank and even to personal friends, they saw my plight and bailed me unconditionally.

Ironically, on his part, the Inspector was giving me conditions before he could relinquish all my property and cash he had with him but I vehemently refused to oblige him.

Based on this I then petitioned the Inspector-General of Police who swung into action without delay. So far, I am impressed with what the police is doing. I know I must get justice. In fact, when I get back to Germany, I will tell them that we now have a different police force under Hafiz Ringim I went to this extent because all efforts by members of my family to make our in-law see reason failed as he kept on threatening everybody.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/why-igp-ordered-arrest-of-police-inspector-in-lagos/
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by RICHIEBOI1(m): 12:37am On Oct 21, 2010
am shocked beyond words! shocked
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Olaolufred(m): 9:48am On Oct 21, 2010
This happens in Naija.

But more common in the south and east of Niger.

What an ungreatfull way of life.

Now I remember they are real life stories.

Not only just on Nollywood.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 21, 2010
Gold-diggers !
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by omojand: 10:23am On Oct 21, 2010
Nigerian's abroad must recognize that business aliances like these are bound to fail, will NEVER work as extreme levels of greed, avarice and even envy will eventually take it's toll.

He should consider himself a  lucky man  indeed to be alive -  he could have been killed as part of a desperate cover-up by the police.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by hackney(m): 1:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
omojand:

Nigerian's abroad must recognize that business aliances like these are bound to fail, will NEVER work as extreme levels of greed, avarice and even envy will eventually take it's toll.

He should consider himself a  lucky man  indeed to be alive -  he could have been killed as part of a desperate cover-up by the police.

EXACTLY

The truth remains that liasing with a nigerian  in business from abroad is a very dangerous affair.
It puts your life in danger because he will want it all and the only way will be to plot your demise.

Whatever you need doing, go there and do it yourself.
If you must, involve others to the barest minimum or else you are asking for trouble.

Also if you are in business, when you go out with them dont eat or drink anyhow; at least 3 people i know have lost
their lives through poisoning.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Sagamite(m): 1:40pm On Oct 21, 2010
Good, I like the police inspector.

How can you pass money to someone (that is not even your blood) who is in poverty to buy you land and all in your name without having any checking process.

Morons deserve to suffer.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by cecegorz(m): 1:41pm On Oct 21, 2010
@Saga,
I believe the guy was touched by the living condition of his only sister, u know.

The best form of help to some family members is to give them whatever you can and bid them god-speed!
Don't bring them close into any business patnership, mostly they will assume you are already at par with Dangote, whatever you put into the business will be seen as surplus money that you have no need of. Ask them to account and you become an instant enemy!

This one is even an in-law. A guy (working in Germany) from my home town sent money to his direct elder brother to build a family house for all of them, the accursed brood collected all the cash and squandered, after a while, went and snapped a picture of a cool mansion else where and sent to his brother as a proof of job well done.
Dude nearly ran mad when he came home for his marriage rites.

By the way, how can a policeman claim to have lent 25m to somebody? Even all his lifetime earnings can't be up to that now?
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by chines4(m): 1:43pm On Oct 21, 2010
Ppl believe that the street of Europe is paved with gold, just go and grad as much as u like. While we in Nigeria helps u to spend it  sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Ikedonn(m): 1:43pm On Oct 21, 2010
Wonder shall never end.Bad in-law. angry angry angry
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by bisiaet: 1:51pm On Oct 21, 2010
But for goodness why people are so greedy like this? Why is it that when it comes to money Nigerian trust is 50/50?
A guy did all these for her sister and her husband and was rewarded bacc this way! oh heaven wickedness is real? I cant understand how could someone sit on another man's sweat and be smilling.

The police or Inspector whatever he called himself must go to jail and this guy must take possession of all that belong to him if possible even the cars he bought for them because they are ingrate and wicked souls this is absolutely a betrayal of trust he has had enough. This is typical of them the a s s h o l e Nigeria disgraceful son.
Thief!!Oyinochi!!! Ole!!!Barawooooo!!!
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by kenosky: 1:54pm On Oct 21, 2010
Olaolufred:

This happens in Naija.

@Olaolufred or wateva u call yourself, why do you think this is more common in the Southeast? Afterall, the dude said this whole stuff occured in Lagos. Why do we always bring ethnicity into such matters?
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by vinooh: 1:58pm On Oct 21, 2010
Olaolufred:

This happens in Naija.

south and east of niger still better than west of niger that cannot help there brother or inlow

police is police u cannot give rat meat to keep but that his sister nawahooo
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Adim2010: 2:10pm On Oct 21, 2010
This is why some people refused to help nowadays.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by realnaija(m): 2:13pm On Oct 21, 2010
I just posted this in the business section.

Why are people so greedy, and not gratefull for the good others do for them?

Perhaps it's a Nigerian trait.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by JimmyBoy1: 2:14pm On Oct 21, 2010
Sad One, but  I think the arrangement was too loose. If anyone out there wants to have businesss in Nigeria while still abroad, make sure you enagage professionals, who can set-up structures for you and mornitoring mechanism. Techonology has made things very easy these days.

You have to build your business round Systems and not People, you can talk to me if you need help.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by ud4u: 2:17pm On Oct 21, 2010
Wonders shall never end.

Olaolufred:

This happens in Naija.

Don't start that nonsense here.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Princek12(m): 2:24pm On Oct 21, 2010
kenosky:

@Olaolufred or wateva u call yourself, why do you think this is more common in the Southeast? Afterall, the dude said this whole stuff occured in Lagos. Why do we always bring ethnicity into such matters?

He moved them to Lagos from their base in Port Harcourt. Even though the events occurred in Lagos, the culprits are likely from the Southeast. They just brought their Southeastern okrika ways to Lagos. That's all.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by obyann(f): 2:29pm On Oct 21, 2010
So pathetic, but bros next time dont trust a policeman in 9er even if its your own blood.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by 3kay945(m): 2:35pm On Oct 21, 2010
wonder shall never end
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by zionic(m): 2:41pm On Oct 21, 2010
No be Police?, finally u go share with them any amount recovered, sha half bread is better than chin - chin smiley
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by harmeenut: 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2010
This is disheartening and it abounds among gullible people irrespective of tribe. But come to think of it, the guy didn’t mention her sister again after things turned sour. What’s her contribution/reaction to this because if she decides to align with her husband either willingly or under duress, it’ll be more disastrous for the guy.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by Dandas: 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2010
Poverty is the cause.Poverty brings greediness and a greedy man is willing to do anything to achieve his aim.The inspector is as poor as a church rat,And the people around him(the inspector) will be giving him bad advice,that this is his opportunity to make it once and for all.To compound it all,he is a police man,which is one of the sectors in Nigeria being inflicted with high rate of corruption and dubious act.The German- based Nigerian is a nice and kind guy,but he fail to realize that Nigeria is not like the European countries.For every one hundred Nigerians,many will act the way the inspector acted,to tell you the kind of country we are in.The IGP should take a bold step and ensure that the inspector cough out more than the money in question.Let this matter not be treated like many cases where justice is buried for selfish and corrupt purpose.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by IchieStan: 2:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
Did anyone read the portion that says the man was given 90,000 naira to influence his transfer from PH to Lagos? Is it not the same police that took this money that is now doing the investigation? I think that investigation should start from there embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by ralphaello: 2:56pm On Oct 21, 2010
na whaoooo, what goes around comes around# after accumulating wealth from a wrong way, he now wants to use the money to better his life, na lie e must back fire, there is God. ask him how he got all this money? this are dudes who sell drugs in the steet of hamburg nd distroy innocent lifes nd our 9ja image with their greed. i ve heard many stories like this b4, atlast the money vanishes one way or the other. I AM A NIGERIAN AND ALSO A GERMAN CITIZEN TOO. advise him to commit sucide. sad
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by IchieStan: 2:58pm On Oct 21, 2010
Did anyone read the portion that says the man was given 90,000 naira to influence his transfer from PH to Lagos? Is it not the same police that took this money that is now doing the investigation? I think that investigation should start from there embarassed embarassed embarassed sad sad sad shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by kenosky: 3:07pm On Oct 21, 2010
Princek12:

He moved them to Lagos from their base in Port Harcourt. Even though the events occurred in Lagos, the culprits are likely from the Southeast. They just brought their Southeastern okrika ways to Lagos. That's all.

[size=14pt]You have just gone ahead to display your KPASness! Address the issue and not where the persons hail from. The guy alleges that his businesses in Lagos had been manipulated by his brother-in-law and all you can think of is how the Police inspector must be from the South or East. Pstchewwww! Go get a life dude[/size]
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by seyilabi(m): 3:14pm On Oct 21, 2010
[size=8pt]The moment my best friend or close family relation becomes a policeman they automatically becomes GREATEST ENEMY sad.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by campella(m): 3:38pm On Oct 21, 2010
Now folks, is it wrong to help a brother?

When this guy saw his in law in a pitiable condition, if he had left without helping, toughs would have wagged

And how about the sister, has money so gotten into her head that she forgot to warn or caution the husband?

That is life for you.

Whom do we trust, family member or outsider?

Whoever can tell me do so because I am about entrusting my business into the hands of my younger sister who is married to a graduate that has been struggling for a job with no success.

Or is it the police in that guy that that made him do what he did?

I am truly confused.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by AYOGHANDI: 3:41pm On Oct 21, 2010
I really sympathised with this chap. I can now understand why most guys abroad don't trust their relatives down here. The issue of this in-law being a Policeman does not arise, 80 out of 100 Nigerians will behave this way. It's quite unfortunate that this ingrate has bitten the fingers that fed him, he must be made to cough out all these monies and the properties he is sitting on.
Re: Why Igp Ordered Arrest Of Police Inspector In Lagos by campella(m): 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
seyilabi:

[size=8pt]The moment my best friend or close family relation becomes a policeman they automatically becomes GREATEST ENEMY sad.
Boy, you are not alone on that aspect
EVERY POLICE is an enemy.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Southwest’s Commitment To Regional Integration - Tinubu / Video Of Pastor Adeboye Endorsing Osinbajo In Pres Gej's Presence Is Trending / Man Puts A Big Crocodile In Pothole After Government Refused To Fix It [PHOTOS]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.