Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,980 members, 7,799,339 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:12 PM

Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk (25661 Views)

“In England We Believe The Schedules Are Too Busy.”- Van Dijk / Jorginho Agrees It Would Be A 'scandal' If He Wins Ballon D'or Over Messi / Virgil Van Dijk Wins PFA Player Of The Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by princeade86(m): 10:13am On Aug 15, 2019
Merimental:

check his stats Mate.
hasn't been dribbled since last season.

d streak goes on!
not even near pique, not to talk of sergio ramos. but current footballers are not performing to expectation, no challenges at all, and I believe that will not give it to messi as they did to ronaldo last year, so I believe vvd can pull d plug.
Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Sanchez01: 10:13am On Aug 15, 2019
Martinez39:
When Modric won it in 2018 didn't you know the system is rigged?
Two factors are put into consideration in a World Cup year; your World Cup outing and that of the club. I would have wanted Ronaldo to win it but let's tell ourselves the truth, of the three, Modric had a better outing and his underdog almost stunned the world. That alone is enough. Plus, he was in the same team as Ronaldo that won the Champions League. He played his role cleanly and it is only deserving he walks away with the trophy.

4 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by mastermaestro(m): 10:14am On Aug 15, 2019
Sanchez01:

Van Dijk is proudly sponsored by the English media. He is still nowhere close to Ramos.

Ramos is my sure guy anytime any day. You are right. Dijk is an English media creation. Ramos is one modern defender that plays like the rugged oldies. Rugged even in his own penalty box. grin grin
Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by mvem(m): 10:14am On Aug 15, 2019
Sanchez01:

Van Djik to win the Ballon d'Or? LMAO? grin

What do you guys smoke? Cannavaro was the last defender to win it and it was because of his World Cup outing alongside his club performance that season. You guys wake up one day and claim Virgil is a major candidate for the trophy just because of ONE SEASON This was the same you guys hyped the nonsense in Torres and Suarez as Ballon d'Or favourites.
oga na journalist dey vote for ballon dor and club/national captains and coach for FIFA best...Yes he is a major candidate and only competitor to Messi for the award...be like say you no dey follow football trends...he is already tipped to carry it and the marketing and advertising is heavy....oga wait and see....Suarez got 3rd or so in the ballon dor ranking, his best chance was 2014 when he bit chielleny in the WC, automatically disqualifying him....Torres attained a position of 3rd or so if I might be right ....I no wan talk to much, na humans dey vote for the awards so it will be subjective ....Van dijk is winning either FIFA best or ballon dor ....quote me when it is given

4 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Memberclub(m): 10:15am On Aug 15, 2019
eddyghali:

These guys are not their country's captain and if VVD is, he will vote himself, so how does their statement make Messi the ultimate winner?

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Timmy301(m): 10:15am On Aug 15, 2019
Sapiosexuality:
I don't get this Van Dijk hype. I mean Ramos was better for years and no one dared bring his name in the Ballon D'Or debate. Terry was on that form. Vidic was on it. And all of sudden this dude should be world best. How exactly?

You just said it bro
Itaya me
Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by SilasNwude: 10:16am On Aug 15, 2019
[s]
MachadoPreto:

And how he fails to work outside Spain

Give it to a man who has replicated dominance across continents. History will never forget that fact.
[/s]

2 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by mvem(m): 10:16am On Aug 15, 2019
Timmy301:

You just said it bro
Itaya me
so if he is given what will you do ?

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by ifko: 10:17am On Aug 15, 2019
Sanchez01:

Van Dijk is proudly sponsored by the English media. He is still nowhere close to Ramos.
but d guy is good and has won champ league and super cup...must Balon d or be given to Messi or Ronaldo

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Sanchez01: 10:17am On Aug 15, 2019
Sapiosexuality:
That will be hard. I think the first 4 months of the season could change things. It has happened before.
I quite agree. It remains a three-horse race. Ronaldo won the Nation's League, remember? And Virgil played in the same. It is still very much open. Messi is currently injured, while Ronaldo had been deliberately missing in club friendlies despite being on the pitch. The La-Liga starts this weekend while the Serie A starts next week. 4 months will truly decide.
Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Memberclub(m): 10:18am On Aug 15, 2019
Sanchez01:

They won't, obviously. I don't see Messi winning the Ballon D'Or, owing to the comeback. He was in the game and had no impact. His Copa performance was a disaster and he ended up lamenting, blaming the 'quality of the pitch' and the organizing body of corruption.

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by MachadoPreto: 10:18am On Aug 15, 2019
Ultimatezlant:
since when has prostituting around clubs been a criteria for greatness, last time I checked loyalty is greatness, serving a club all your life and getting a testimonial was what every one dreamed of

Hello, This professionalism. No one regards loyalty. A CV with outstanding dominance across terrains will always white wash it's counterpart in just one.

You won't employ a Messi if you were to employ either of the two. You can just say here out of sentiment.

CR7 conquered the world and left no reason for doubt or speculations about his dominance.

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by SilasNwude: 10:18am On Aug 15, 2019
[s]
MachadoPreto:
You can't take away from CR7

All statistics are there to prove.

He has delivered.

FIFA should be tired of giving award to a one club footballer/Wifi who can't click/work outside Nou camp
[/s]

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by mvem(m): 10:18am On Aug 15, 2019
Sapiosexuality:
I don't get this Van Dijk hype. I mean Ramos was better for years and no one dared bring his name in the Ballon D'Or debate. Terry was on that form. Vidic was on it. And all of sudden this dude should be world best. How exactly?
so what exactly will you do if he is given ...the hype is marketing and advertising ....the guy is winning either FIFA best or ballon dor...these awards are subjectives because it is people votes...for example it is journalist that vote for ballon dor...it depends on marketing/advertising, performance and perception ....Van dijk is winning either ballon dor or FIFA best, it is getting quite obvious ....

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Evangkatsoulis: 10:20am On Aug 15, 2019
gibzzhd:
Modric winning it last year was a slap on Xavi,inesta and schildier.I would be surprised if the decided to slap all other great defenders down the line vvd can't even lace their boot.Who is Vvd where Taribo west was

I don't get your argument. The award is given to the best performer of the year not necessarily the best in best in recent seasons.
Was Cannavaro the best defender in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 or 2007? So was his winning the ballon d'or an insult to Maldini or Nesta who were better defenders?

3 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by olutop(m): 10:21am On Aug 15, 2019
SultanOfAbia:
If i whooze Messi Slap ehhh..
Wetin him don achieve to win balloon d'or
Copa America = no achievement
Uefa Championship= no achievement
Ronaldinho's 2005 World best, was as a result of how good he was then, He did not even win Ordinary spoon that year with Barca and Brazil, It is Best player not Best club, Mancity Players should have won all the individual awards in EPL from last year till date if it is about team achievement..... I will always rate Individual performance over team performance when it comes to Individual awards.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 15, 2019
Sapiosexuality:
seriously i don't understand...
What about modric of last year...
They will do the same to messi as they did to ronaldo last year

2 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Timmy301(m): 10:22am On Aug 15, 2019
mvem:
so if he is given what will you do ?
He should get it first grin
He'd either be second or third
Mane Worth's it sef
Mane would have been a better Candidate, but criticism is in football

4 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Martinez39(m): 10:23am On Aug 15, 2019
Sanchez01:

Two factors are put into consideration in a World Cup year; your World Cup outing and that of the club. I would have wanted Ronaldo to win it but let's tell ourselves the truth, of the three, Modric had a better outing and his underdog almost stunned the world. That alone is enough. Plus, he was in the same team as Ronaldo that won the Champions League. He played his role cleanly and it is only deserving he walks away with the trophy.
What about Messi in 2010? Wesley Sneider won the treble with Inter Milan and got to the final of the world cup. Sneider was influential. Given this, didn't you know that system was rigged?

3 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by mvem(m): 10:24am On Aug 15, 2019
Timmy301:

He should get it first grin
He'd either be second or third
Mane Worth's it sef
Mane would have been a better Candidate, but criticism is in football
van dijk is more marketable...and you cant remove that from football

2 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by IgweBUIKE1(m): 10:24am On Aug 15, 2019
MachadoPreto:

And how he fails to work outside Spain

Give it to a man who has replicated dominance across continents. History will never forget that fact.
how does playing across the best club make him the best..??

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Sanchez01: 10:26am On Aug 15, 2019
mvem:
oga na journalist dey vote for ballon dor and club/national captains and coach for FIFA best...Yes he is a major candidate and only competitor to Messi for the award...be like say you no dey follow football trends...he is already tipped to carry it and the marketing and advertising is heavy....oga wait and see....Suarez got 3rd or so in the ballon dor ranking, his best chance was 2014 when he bit chielleny in the WC, automatically disqualifying him....Torres attained a position of 3rd or so if I might be right ....I no wan talk to much, na humans dey vote for the awards so it will be subjective ....Van dijk is winning either FIFA best or ballon dor ....quote me when it is given
We all know journalists vote in the Ballon d'Or. Yap no more; Torres was touted to WIN IT and not come third. The same with Suarez and it was discussed that Harry Kane would one day be a contender and you are here celebrating third. Iniesta and Xavi have been there as well.

It is obvious you have no idea how FIFA best is done. While it is possible that Van Dijk lovers might vote him in the FIFA best, Spain and Italy and sound football lovers will share the votes within Messi and Ronaldo. The important stakeholders in the footballing community will most likely vote settle for the duo over Van Dijk.

Yours truly played in the Nations against Ronaldo whom was edged out with a 1-0 win. Sapiosexuality already mentioned the next four months which will no doubt be the decider. Ronaldo it is for me.
Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Karleb(m): 10:27am On Aug 15, 2019
Sanchez01:

No, I'm not. It is a stupid thing to judge a defender with just one season's success over one who has been consistent over the years and also score decisive goals in major tournaments. Only a fool would think Van Djik is on the same level with Ramos.

Mk12:

you want to compare him to Ramos because of only one season?
the champions league is the only major career trophy he got

Guys calm down. No one is comparing VVD's one season achievement to Ramos' or Marcelo's whole life career achievements.

But for this very last season, VVD is the best which makes him the latest best defender in the world.

Gerrit? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by MachadoPreto: 10:27am On Aug 15, 2019
IgweBUIKE1:
how does playing across the best club make him the best..??

It shows his flexibility and quest to conquer.

Look at previous world footballer's, they always thirst to conquer somewhere else. Even as a professional if you will agree, their always come a point you will always choose to move on when everything remains the same year in year out.

The zeal to face new fronts, if you certain about your art will naturally befall you.

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Nobody: 10:29am On Aug 15, 2019
Karleb:

Guys calm down. No one is comparing VVD's one season achievement to Ramos' or Marcelo's all life career achievements.

But for this very last season, VVD is the best why makes him the latest best defender in the world.

Gerrit? undecided

you don't claim best in one season. you can only say he had a good season.
Ramos is ahead of anyother currently playing
Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by mvem(m): 10:30am On Aug 15, 2019
Sanchez01:

We all know journalists vote in the Ballon d'Or. Yap no more; Torres was touted to WIN IT and not come third. The same with Suarez and it was discussed that Harry Kane would one day be a contender and you are here celebrating third. Iniesta and Xavi have been there as well.

It is obvious you have no idea how FIFA best is done. While it is possible that Van Dijk lovers might vote him in the FIFA best, Spain and Italy and sound football lovers will share the votes within Messi and Ronaldo. The important stakeholders in the footballing community will most likely vote settle for the duo over Van Dijk.

Yours truly played in the Nations against Ronaldo whom was edged out with a 1-0 win. Sapiosexuality already mentioned the next four months which will no doubt be the decider. Ronaldo it is for me.
Ronaldo for you ?...bro its between messi and van dijk...everyone is asked messi or van dijk, it is obvious.....like I said these awards are subjective. You talk of Spain and Italy, are they the only countries in the world ....people don't vote in FIFA best but clubs/national captains and coaches ...ballon dor is by journalist, do you know how they will vote ?

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Sanchez01: 10:30am On Aug 15, 2019
Martinez39:
What about Messi in 2010? Wesley Sneider won the treble with Inter Milan and got to the final of the world cup. Sneider was influential. Given this, didn't you know that system was rigged?
2010 was obviously rigged. Journalists voted Sneidjer but Platini felt Messi deserved it even after Sneidjer's team edged Messi's in the Champions League.

Platini had always had a soft spot for Messi. The below is from Marca.

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Godsknight(m): 10:31am On Aug 15, 2019
Igbosmoker:
Messi deserves 2019 ballon d'or--VvD
Messi should win this year ballon--mpabbe
Messi deserve 2019 world best--mane

If messi is deny this year world best player just know the entire system is rigged
you are a comedian.. you are very funny

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by Sanchez01: 10:31am On Aug 15, 2019
mvem:
Ronaldo for you ?...bro its between messi and van dijk...everyone is asked messi or van dijk, it is obvious.....like I said these awards are subjective. You talk of Spain and Italy, are they the only countries in the world ....people don't vote in FIFA best but clubs/national captains and coaches ...ballon dor is by journalist, do you know how they will vote ?
Arguments wear me out easily. How about we place a bet on this? Van Dijk wins and I pay you N50k. He loses out and you pay me same. I'd create a thread on this right away.

2 Likes

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by kleverley(m): 10:32am On Aug 15, 2019
Merimental:

check his stats Mate. hasn't been dribbled since last season.
d streak goes on!
vvd hardly come out to tackle one-one always running behind and a teammate would cover up. BTW Gabriel jesus dribbled him in the community shield match
see what I was saying

1 Like

Re: Sadio Mane Backs Lionel Messi To Win The Ballon D'or Over Virgil Van Dijk by OlujobaSamuel: 10:32am On Aug 15, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

I don't get your argument. The award is given to the best performer of the year not necessarily the best in best in recent seasons.
Was Cannavaro the best defender in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 or 2007? So was his winning the ballon d'or an insult to Maldini or Nesta who were better defenders?
I wonder ooo, I don't know when a seasonal award turns numerous season consistency award.
As it stands, he is the best in his class, walking into any team is not a choice for the manager but compulsion.
He gels well with any partner(rookie or expert), about two years running with no dribbling past him and someone is claiming overhype.
Defenders most times, get better with age, and he is improving, it's not like his previous performance has been poor, but he appears to be improving daily.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Manchester United Chose Erik Ten Hag As Their Next Manager / Sunday Oliseh Visits Liverpool Jordon Ibe / Genort Rohr Turns To Sebastian Osigwe, Swiss-born Goalkeeper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.