Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:04 PM

Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery (16066 Views)

Yoruba Ronu: Your Son Has Turned Nigeria's Economy Into A Desert - Buhari Ahmed / Fitch: Buhari’s CBN Policies May Drag Nigerian Economy Into Crisis / How To Turn Nigerian Economy Into Knowledge Based Economy- Olawepo Hashim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Myde4naija(m): 8:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
tot:
Even the western countries import what they can't produce.

As part of the Brexit analysis, it was shown that the UK produces roughly 60% of the food it consumes. Of the remaining 40%, about three-quarters is imported directly from the European Union, including a lot of fresh fruit &vegetables, and the remaining 10% from the rest of the world. This is for a population of ~60 million, not to mention Nigeria which has triple that.

Who are Buhari's economic advisers? Na wa!
mr president only said they will not provide forex for food importers, is that too much to understand?

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Myde4naija(m): 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
If you know the only business sense you have is to import food please search else where for your forex and stop dipping your filty hand into our hard earned foreign exchange. Abeg, Biko, ejoo, yankuri.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Wendybrown(f): 9:00pm On Aug 15, 2019
Pistotita:
I don't know why people aren't happy with this action of Mr. President. To me, it's a good move. If he doesn't do this, we will keep importing everything. At least, we need to move to producing over 80% of the food we consume. He is not saying he is banning it, but just not making it attractive so it can force us to go into local production.

Many just do not understand this things. Developed countries are not consuming countries but rather productive countries and that's exactly what this man is trying to do. it's a step at a time.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by majamajic(m): 9:02pm On Aug 15, 2019
blackpanda:

Sir we are not in 1976. This is 2019. Check your calendar

if a man don't know where rain started beating him , he will not remember where it stopped

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by lexy2014: 9:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
Area4Area:
Anambra already has a variety of rice that wasn't produced before, other states already have.
You can google up the production

The law of supply and demand determines in an economy

If u had googled d info u referring, then u would b sharing it not asking me to Google. So let's c what u got from ur Google search. And my question still remains unanswered:

"How much rice does Nigeria produce locally?"

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Wendybrown(f): 9:05pm On Aug 15, 2019
daddytime:

Lol...

Nice submission....

Been following the ex deputy governor of CBN's analysis even on sunrise daily this morning.

However, the FG should be addressing the herdsmen-farmers clashes before even attempting at broaching this idea in the first place.

If the above is resolved, trust me...the attraction to foreign food where we have Boku alternatives will be the sole preserve of the rich like in so many other aspects of life.

The ban won't even be necessary because poor man sabi advise himself to mind wet in him shikini money fit afford.

Some people are being unnecessary emotional in their responses here without properly understanding the issue at hand.

I do not agree with Buhari on all issues but that won't affect my sense of reasoning or judgment.

He isn't banning the importation of food...the FG just won't be encouraging it at the expense of our local farmers by providing them forex as an incentive.

If as a businessman, you found your niche and clientele in the foreign food market, what the government is encouraging you to do is to source your forex indep3ndently, get your imports and satisfy your foreign-food hungry market while making a kill.

I'm even trying to take a note of the number of imported food items I consume on a weekly.

The truth is, Nigeria has been living a fake life. Don't tell me about a dollar being 185 or something. All those were purely artificial and unsustainable.

As much as it hurts, we are just beginning to get real with our original 'level' and the best we can do is meandering our ways out of the economic quagmire brought upon by years of waste and economic rape.

This is the real life.

We must go through these hardships to begin to build the foundation for an economy we all dream of.

It can never be gotten on a platter except we want to continue living in denials as in the past.

It's good to know that there are some people that actually still thinks and understands this things.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by majamajic(m): 9:11pm On Aug 15, 2019
Area4Area:
I asked for a link and not any hear say

did u hear me say something about museum ?

or if u have anyone in Dubai call and verify , the locals do say it too , Nigeria instead borrowed to IMF .
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by miketayo(m): 9:16pm On Aug 15, 2019
Pistotita:

I'm trying to understand you. Where did you read that Mr. President banned importation of food. Maybe selected food are banned like palm oil which is justified. Did you read he banned importation of most food?

importation of rice undecided . stop acting ignorant joor
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Rosskiki: 9:25pm On Aug 15, 2019
SillyMods:
Disgraceful youths.

Buhari has proved to be wiser and smarter than our so-called economists who know nothing about practicals but theory.

Many times Buhari has floored them on economics matter:

1. During the debate to fully float the Naira against the president's position not to do so, Buhari was eventually proved correct by attaining exchange rate stability without floating the currency.

2. PMB, against noise and wailing banned access to 42 items including toothpicks to save dollars. Today, most of those items are locally produced thereby creating local jobs and increasing wealth for the entrepreneurs who took adantage.

This time, the best president in Nigeria's history says that in a bid to encourage local food producers and make them competitive, the CBN should not provide dollars to food importers. Wailers and wailing zombies are masturbating and bringing up voodoo economics to tell us why it is wrong for the president to say/do so. Please tell us how best to encourage local production if not by making them more competitive? How can people produce locally if the imported goods remain cheap or slightly dearer?

Una no get sense I swear. And this senseless thinking is being led by a wannabe presidential candidate who was a deputy governor of CBN when GEJ sacked Sanusi. The idiot stood by GEJ. He was also alive when Jona the fisherman was ordering Emefiele to release billions of dollars for looting (in the name of fighting insurgency) but kept quiet.

IPOBites and sense are words and their opposite.

You want Nigeria to be like China, Korea, Japan, etc, but you don't want to take the hard decisions! Hypocrites and unpatriotic souls.

MY BROTHER, MAY THE ALMIGHTY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY FOR THIS COMMENT.

Especially the final remark (in bold).

I keep telling people that our biggest problem as a nation is the unwillingness to sacrifice our current comforts for future success.

Do you know that 35 years ago, Nigeria's roads were filled with Mercedes, Peugeot, Mazda, BMW, and other foreign vehicles. In China, the streets were filled with....bicycles.

Not because the Chinese did not know where to find or how to import or find BMW and Mercedes.

Their govt simply banned/imposed ridiculously high tariffs on foreign car imports.

The result? Bicycles became the most readily available mode of transport.

Not even motorbikes or Okada. Bicycles.

Streets were packed with fully grown, educated men in suits riding to work on thousands of bicycles in Beijing, Shanghai, Guandzhou etc.

What happened next? Car production exploded.. Today China makes cars in millions per year, and still can't even satisfy its domestic market.

Their car industry today is worth hundreds of billions of dollars.

Nigerians, take note. smiley
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Bekindtoall: 9:27pm On Aug 15, 2019
Fellow Nigerians, instead of this criticism, please let's think of how we can take advantage of the President's order.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by daddytime(m): 9:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
Wendybrown:

It's good to know that there are some people that actually still thinks and understands this things.

grin
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by ajl: 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
I dont have to read this story. Why would a country want to continue to import food. Are Nigerians so lazy and unproductive to the point that they can't farm to produce their own food. Or you want Buhari to come farm for you?
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by ajl: 9:59pm On Aug 15, 2019
wellmax:
Rubbish.

Obj banned importation of fruit juice, we all cried and shouted. Today we have several fruit juice companies in Nigeria. You hardly attend a party and see foreign juices. From Chi to Dansa, they have dominated the market providing jobs and helping to grow the economy.

Nigeria learn to feed yourselves.

Nice point. Then it used to be "Five Alive" juice which was an import.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Nosaghae(m): 10:34pm On Aug 15, 2019
SillyMods:
Disgraceful youths.

Buhari has proved to be wiser and smarter than our so-called economists who know nothing about practicals but theory.

1. During the debate to fully float the Naira against the president's position not to do so, Buhari was eventually proved correct by attaining exchange rate stability without floating the currency.

2. PMB, against noise and wailing banned access to 42 items including toothpicks to save dollars. Today, most of those items are locally produced thereby creating local jobs and increasing wealth for the entrepreneurs who took adantage.

This time, the best president in Nigeria's history says that in a bid to encourage local food producers and make them competitive, the CBN should not provide dollars to food importers. Wailers and wailing zombies are masturbating and bringing up voodoo economics to tell us why it is wrong for the president to say/do so. Please tell us how best to encourage local production if not by making them more competitive? How can people produce locally if the imported goods remain cheap or slightly dearer?

Una no get sense I swear. And this senseless thinking is being led by a wannabe presidential candidate who was a deputy governor of CBN when GEJ sacked Sanusi. The idiot stood by GEJ. He was also alive when Jona the fisherman was ordering Emefiele to release billions of dollars for looting (in the name of fighting insurgency) but kept quiet.

You want Nigeria to be like China, Korea, Japan, etc, but you don't want to take the hard decisions! Hypocrites and unpatriotic souls.
For your mind now u don make sense
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Nosaghae(m): 10:37pm On Aug 15, 2019
tot:

As part of the Brexit analysis, it was shown that the UK produces roughly 60% of the food it consumes. Of the remaining 40%, about three-quarters is imported directly from the European Union, including a lot of fresh fruit &vegetables, and the remaining 10% from the rest of the world. This is for a population of ~60 million, not to mention Nigeria which has triple that.

Na people like SilyMods dey advice am
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Kenturkey048(m): 10:40pm On Aug 15, 2019
Area4Area:
Look at you insulting someone making sense and you displaying yourself, most of you do not realize that you eat local rice from those bukas you patronise.
Rice importers ceased to be given forex some years back and price of rice dropped from about 22k to about 14k today because of higher local production

It is people like you who hate Nigeria, you want everything imported but if I ask you what you personally produce and export to generate forex, nothing.
chairman I see no reason why you won't identify local rice when you see one....local rice looks and taste different from foreign rice sir...I don deal on both sir...forex ceased kor ,obtain Ni...price of rice dropped from 22 to 12 in Lagos state alone or your village included Bros say what you know abeg...I no go yan too much Mr know all...just wait and see...even Buhari children don't eat locally made rrice...analysis are concluded from several angles..not just imaginations...Mr know all,Nigerians don't like local rice..the little foreign rice smuggled into Nigeria go dey very costly...setting standards without foundation ...
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by mindtricks: 11:01pm On Aug 15, 2019
SillyMods:
Disgraceful youths.

Fairy tales my friend. I guess the way to fix it is ban importation then go to sleep.
Nothing as fantastic as that.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by sweetgala(m): 11:15pm On Aug 15, 2019
hisgrace090:
There's hardly a country that doese not import food they're not sufficient to.

There is also no single country that is not working tirelessly to close the importation of food. It is an unfortunate circumstance for many countries that they'd rather not have and where that can they wouldn't.

There is no reason to be importing so many things
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by francisbarrack(m): 11:19pm On Aug 15, 2019
Lionsbet:
Two-weeks old Techno Spark 3 for sale, with carton, recipe and charger.

Price is 30k.

No Hassle!

Location- Ilorin

Fast buyer needed, no time to waste.

what's d last price
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by sweetgala(m): 11:20pm On Aug 15, 2019
tot:

If you've taken notice of consumer trends you'll know that made in UK , grown in UK etc is a marketing tool from McDonald's to Tesco.

The UK is not able to grow a lot of food produce due to the weather stuff like bananas oranges tomatoes etc are can not grow in UK. Most of the meat in Ireland ends up in UK and other countries in the world.

Nigeria is in a favourable situation because our soil and diversity in weather allows us to produce 95% or foods and produce we consume as a people
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by mindtricks: 11:42pm On Aug 15, 2019
Myde4naija:
mr president only said they will not provide forex for food importers, is that too much to understand?

And what other tangibles have they done besides ban in order to guarantee food security?
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by jubianose(m): 12:18am On Aug 16, 2019
God can you kindly kill Buhari. I pray you, help this country it is getting out of hand. Amen
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Lionsbet: 2:18am On Aug 16, 2019
francisbarrack:

what's d last price

Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Lionsbet: 2:19am On Aug 16, 2019
faridasr:

Come and kuku take it for free, something i bought 42k
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by SillyMods: 2:46am On Aug 16, 2019
Rosskiki:

I keep telling people that our biggest problem as a nation is the unwillingness to sacrifice our current comforts for future success.

Do you know that 35 years ago, Nigeria's roads were filled with Mercedes, Peugeot, Mazda, BMW, and other foreign vehicles. In China, the streets were filled with....bicycles.

Not because the Chinese did not know where to find or how to import or find BMW and Mercedes.

Their govt simply banned/imposed ridiculously high tariffs on foreign car imports.

Streets were packed with fully grown, educated men in suits riding to work on thousands of bicycles in Beijing, Shanghai, Guandzhou etc.

What happened next? Car production exploded.. Today China makes cars in millions per year, and still can't even satisfy its domestic market.

Great post.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by SillyMods: 2:57am On Aug 16, 2019
daddytime:

Lol...

Nice submission....

Been following the ex deputy governor of CBN's analysis even on sunrise daily this morning.

However, the FG should be addressing the herdsmen-farmers clashes before even attempting at broaching this idea in the first place.

If the above is resolved, trust me...the attraction to foreign food where we have Boku alternatives will be the sole preserve of the rich like in so many other aspects of life.

The ban won't even be necessary because poor man sabi advise himself to mind wet in him shikini money fit afford.

Some people are being unnecessary emotional in their responses here without properly understanding the issue at hand.

I do not agree with Buhari on all issues but that won't affect my sense of reasoning or judgment.

He isn't banning the importation of food...the FG just won't be encouraging it at the expense of our local farmers by providing them forex as an incentive.

If as a businessman, you found your niche and clientele in the foreign food market, what the government is encouraging you to do is to source your forex indep3ndently, get your imports and satisfy your foreign-food hungry market while making a kill.

I'm even trying to take a note of the number of imported food items I consume on a weekly.

The truth is, Nigeria has been living a fake life. Don't tell me about a dollar being 185 or something. All those were purely artificial and unsustainable.

As much as it hurts, we are just beginning to get real with our original 'level' and the best we can do is meandering our ways out of the economic quagmire brought upon by years of waste and economic rape.

This is the real life.

We must go through these hardships to begin to build the foundation for an economy we all dream of.

It can never be gotten on a platter except we want to continue living in denials as in the past.
Great contribution
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Tianamen1: 2:57am On Aug 16, 2019
Rosskiki:

Your comment is brilliant but it differs totally from Buhari's flawed policy in one major way. The poor will be more affected by this policy as not only would food prices increase but general inflation will result from this ban as barbers, tailors and carpenters would be forced to increase their prices. Cars on the other hand, affect the middle class and the rich. A tariff may not work in Nigeria due to our porous borders, but if the government taxes imported cars on a yearly basis based on the value of the cars and also the government creates a stipulation that vehicle manufacturers must have a certain amount of investment in Nigeria to sell secondhand cars, this would naturally spur the local production in cars.

The government needs to shift its focus from agriculture as commodities across the world are priced similarly. Agriculture is complex and productivity is based on many factors not currently available in Nigeria such as electricity for storage and processing.

Focus should be on shoes production, clothes production, mobile phones assembling and car assembling. These things though they require electricity for production, do not require electricity for storage. Again with clothes and shoes, Nigeria's unique artistry would be on display (similar to our music and movies) and would make a bang not just across Africa but the whole world. The exports earnings can only be imagined.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by francisbarrack(m): 4:18am On Aug 16, 2019
Lionsbet:

let me pay 25k
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Nobody: 5:47am On Aug 16, 2019
miketayo:

importation of rice undecided . stop acting ignorant joor

And is importation of rice not good? Stop acting ignorant. What you don't know, you don't know. Go and take statistics and see that rice farmers are doing better. Gradually, we will get there. But let him do nothing, and things get worse. You should learn to talk to people respectfully. I suggest Buhari should ban "horror, terrible breath, gutter mouthed" people like you. Go and treat the mouth diarrhea you have that's making you run your mouth without control, before you get punched in your face. Good luck.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Nobody: 5:52am On Aug 16, 2019
Wendybrown:

Many just do not understand this things. Developed countries are not consuming countries but rather productive countries and that's exactly what this man is trying to do. it's a step at a time.

Exactly. I am not a pro Buhari, but he gat this right. There are policies he is bringing out. I am just trying to really see if it is actually Saraki that paralysed his first term like how is people and supporters are saying. Time will tell. But what the presidency is shooting out these days are good.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Area4Area: 6:26am On Aug 16, 2019
Myde4naija:
If you know the only business sense you have is to import food please search else where for your forex and stop dipping your filty hand into our hard earned foreign exchange. Abeg, Biko, ejoo, yankuri.
I find it difficult to understand why so many misconstrued it to mean a ban, find your forex elsewhere and import, simple.
Re: Buhari’s Food Importation Ban Could Drag The Nigerian Economy Into Misery by Area4Area: 6:34am On Aug 16, 2019
ibechris:
The simple thing is the fact that our president does not understand "comparative advantage. And most painful is that,America is the highest producer of beef and milk in the world yet they still import more from China and Brazil to cushion the deficit.

Similarly,China is one of the biggest producer of soybeans in the world and still the biggest importer of soybeans in the world.

Meaning no country is self sufficient in every thing.
Buhari is a national headache.

The US and Chinese economies are productive unlike that of Nigeria where we import virtually everything under the sun, some Nigerians wouldn't mind imported air and water because they feel imported is best.
If Israel can turn their desert into green and are almost self sufficient in food production and they even export too then Nigeria that lies in the tropics with abundant rain has no business importing food except those we can't grow

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Drama As Kano Factional PDP Expels Kwankwaso / "End SARS Anniversary: No Street Protests In Lagos" - Lagos State Police Command / 2023: Bola Tinubu Meets With APC Govs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.