Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,477 members, 7,808,746 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child (1971 Views)

Dont Make This Mistakes I Made While I Was Waiting For Admission / 7 Things All Parents Should Know Before Enrolling A Child In Nigerian Schools / Avoid This Thread On Nairaland!! !!its A SCAM!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by GentleA(m): 9:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
For a while now I’ve garnered a lot of experience in the educational sector, chiefly in the class room sector; some as a personal tutor and some as a subject teacher. Every day of my life has been blessed with such a profound opportunity, to impact knowledge. These kids are gifted in quite a lot of ways, but I which I won’t be the only one seeing these things, how intelligent they all are, as it hurts me when a child performance is judged based on the position he or she took in class.
Although, I was once in that line; I felt hard broken that my efforts were wasted, so I fell prey to the error of pointing fingers towards the ones who took first in class, “if only you study harder, you could do better than them” I would say.
However, as times went on, I came to realize I was in a deep slip-up, so I turned away. Always mentioning the names of those who took first in their class wasn’t really helping. I instead, focussed my gaze on their result booklet, comparing their current performance to the previous will be more helpful. beyond doubt, it was, as I realized they actually did better than the previous term.
Then again, the summer lesson came up, and I was given a class to handle, a lot of kids from other schools turned up, with just a few kids from the host school, where I was teaching. I came up with rules such as; read at least two subjects in a day and also learn one word from the dictionary every day. During the presentation of what they learnt, I could hardly contain my joy, when a child from my school consistently did so well, hardly any flaws in his presentation, but guess what, his position in class wasn’t even among the first nine, when the last term results were issued. Yet, here he was teaching pupils from other schools in a summer lesson.
So when I say every child is intelligent, I’m not just saying it because I want to get your attention, but rather because experience has taught me that truly, every child is intelligent, after all intelligence is defined as an inherent ability in a person to understand a subject matter, understand what your child is good at and build on it.
I noticed the same thing in a child in a junior class; she was the youngest in the class. After several explanations with examples, I decided to try them out with a class work. Before then I was already aware that she had some difficulty understanding Mathematics, but on that particularly day, I decided to explain personally to her, just to see if she could comprehend. Surprisingly she did better than I could ever imagine, because of that I had to ask the whole class to stop whatever they were doing, just to applaud her. All she needed was an extra attention, and when she had it, she showed what she was made of.
I don’t believe there’s any dull child, I can’t think of God’s Creation as dull. He wonderfully created every one with their various gifts and abilities. Quit the business of comparing your children with other kids, I know what you think, “it will challenge them to do better”. Sorry to say, but it won’t, I know of a child who took third position in his class, he was excited about it, but his father wasn’t, “what about those who took first and second” he would say. “They are even girls” he added. The next term, the boy took 6th position. So you see, it doesn’t really help, instead it creates an enmity within them towards those kids they are compared to, so they begin to see them as a competition and as a threat, which is only but a distraction to their studies.
They should strive to be better than how they are, study for the knowing, not to be better than other children, or just to take 1st position.
On this note, I humbly implore as a teacher, parents, please love your kids, care for them, help them to study and emphasize the importance of obtaining knowledge, understanding concepts, not just reading so they can take the 1st position in class.
Lastly, compare their results in all subjects to last term performance, and not by their best friend performance.
Source: https://akpansblog..com

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by aycapri(m): 9:25pm On Aug 15, 2019
True tho
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Bede2u(m): 11:52pm On Aug 15, 2019
Too long.
I think the most important mistake to avoid when raising a child is over emphasizing on academics.

Allow ur kids to excel in sports, arts, social media, hand skills....etc

Thats where the real money and life is now. Not in stuying engineering and looking for wrk as marketer in bank

3 Likes

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by GentleA(m): 12:00am On Aug 16, 2019
Bede2u:
Too long.
I think the most important mistake to avoid when raising a child is over emphasizing on academics.

Thats where the real money and life is now. Not in stuying engineering and looking for wrk as marketer in bank

Yea.... Indeed.
But before they get involved with all those, they must have written several exams, especially in Primary Schools.. it all begins there you know.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Onyenna(m): 1:23am On Aug 16, 2019
Okay
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by otipoju(m): 5:35am On Aug 16, 2019
Bede2u:
Too long.

Your world is indeed a small world. Are you raising a local champion or a global one. Average Engineer in USA earns 80,000$ per annum. An engineer friend with Raytheon born and raised in Nigeria earns 150,000 per annum.

Stop thinking small Nwanne.
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Bede2u(m): 5:43am On Aug 16, 2019
otipoju:

Your world is indeed a small world. Are you raising a local champion or a global one. Average Engineer in USA earns 80,000$ per annum. An engineer friend with Raytheon born and raised in Nigeria earns 150,000 per annum.

i bet the highest paid engr in the world doesnt earn half of messi's salary. And am talking about engrs working on space projects and major coys like google and amazon

Any how my point is there are other things a child can excel in other than academics.

Which highschool did michael jackson attend?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by otipoju(m): 6:06am On Aug 16, 2019
Bede2u:
i bet the highest paid engr in the world doesnt earn half of messi's salary. And am talking about engrs working on space projects and major coys like google and amazon

Any how my point is there are other things a child can excel in other than academics.

How many Messis do we have? The likes of Messis are not the norm. Hope you know.

I play every saturday with retired Nigerian footballers in USA, na uber most of them dey take hold body. They got no skills to function after football. Yes thwy have built houses and hotels in Nigeria but still no skills to bring better income.

But if you go school and think global opportunities abound.
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by NobleView(m): 8:01am On Aug 16, 2019
Bede2u:

Elon musk is an engineer, I believe he is twice as rich as Dangote.

1 Like

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by projecttopics2: 8:22am On Aug 16, 2019
Good one!
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Karleb(m): 8:23am On Aug 16, 2019
otipoju:

The guy you quoted has a very solid point.

Rashford, a Manchester United player earn close to 300,000 pounds in a week, yes just a week. Unlike the average US engineer, he doesn't have an M. Sc or P. Hd, and he is only 21.

There was this 4 yr old boy where I was working, I realized at his young age he has a passion for football. This boy was just in kg 2, then I started training him in the little way I could. I thought him how to kick with the right leg, the the left and so on. There was no ball around so we were using Bobo plastic grin grin, all I wanted was to keep the fire burning in him.

Then I advised the mom jokingly to take his boy to a football academy, she instantly rejected it. I guess she preferred being called Mama Doctor or Mama Lawyer to Mama footballer. When I told her how much Nigerian players made in AFCON 2019 just for making it to the third place, her eyes opened.

Players that are not even good at all in league will collect a civil servant gratuity in a week!

5 Likes

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Karleb(m): 8:42am On Aug 16, 2019
NobleView:

Elon musk is an engineer, I believe he is twice as rich as Dangote.

...and how many Elon Musks do we have out there, how many Dangotes do we have in Nigeria.

Look at the world of Sport and Entertainment for example, there are a lot of people there earning more money than our average Professors, Doctors(Including the P. Hd holders) and a whole lot of civil servants.

Problem with Nigerians is that we prioritize certificate over skills that's why till tomorrow we'll continue to have jobless M. Sc holders.

If we Nigerians can invest one quarter of the money and effort we invest in pilling up certificates into acquiring a useful skill, our story will certainly change.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by BeckyChinelo1(f): 8:45am On Aug 16, 2019
I just wish every parent can see this, not just seeing it, understanding it and also practice it. I have a child in my class that the mum never appreciate her efforts no matter what this girl does. And this said girl is really doing well academically. I just pity the poor girl though.

1 Like

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by mastertunji(m): 9:07am On Aug 16, 2019
True talk. If U are in doubt, ask Ben Carson, d famous American neurosurgeon and former presidential aspirant. According to his book, "Think Big", he had been written off by some of his teachers
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by ITbomb(m): 10:01am On Aug 16, 2019
I don't think it's a good idea to place too much emphasis on class positions
For my children, once your grades are up especially in the core subjects, you are good to go.
I will make sure they understand that the competition they need in life is not among their classmates rather it's on what others have achieved before them

2 Likes

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Les: 10:03am On Aug 16, 2019
Bede2u:
Too long.

it was worth the read..

1 Like

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Katier00(f): 11:09am On Aug 16, 2019
Las las, school na ...........
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by babateaeddison: 11:58am On Aug 16, 2019
She's the type of girl u done Bleep with when the weather is cold at night. Watch baby Na yoka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wets28xbPXw
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Jackossky(m): 12:10pm On Aug 16, 2019
No child is dull, every child has his/her own learning pattern.

It takes a teacher to be exceptionally good to identify the learning pattern of that child that is tagged 'dull'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by otipoju(m): 1:04pm On Aug 16, 2019
Karleb:

The guy you quoted has a very solid point.

Rashford, a Manchester United player earn close to 300,000 pounds in a week, yes just a week. Unlike the average US engineer, he doesn't have an M. Sc or P. Hd, and he is only 21.

There was this 4 yr old boy where I was working, I realized at his young age he has a passion for football. This boy was just in kg 2, then I started training him in the little way I could. I thought him how to kick with the right leg, the the left and so on. There was no ball around so we were using Bobo plastic grin grin, all I wanted was to keep the fire burning in him.

Then I advised the mom jokingly to take his boy to a football academy, she instantly rejected it. I guess she preferred being called Mama Doctor or Mama Lawyer to Mama footballer. When I told her how much Nigerian players made in AFCON 2019 just for making it to the third place, her eyes opened.

Players that are not even good at all in league will collect a civil servant gratuity in a week!

1. I am not denying he has a point. But not every person is a gifted footballer that will make 6 figures. And thousands of soccer players today simply do not.
For every Rashford, there are 10,000 other pros who make peanuts. #facts.

2. The career of a footballer spans an average of 10 years as a pro. Barring injuries.What happens after that for the rest 40 to 50 years after that.we have seen a number of former internationals in public begging for financial help for one reason or the other.

4. The challenge comes when the money stops coming weekly and the only skill you have is how to kick a soccer ball. When properlly weighed in the balance, a sound education is still the best investment, if you are thinking globally and not confining yourself to a Nigeria that kills dreams.

1 Like

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Karleb(m): 1:43pm On Aug 16, 2019
otipoju:

1. I am not denying he has a point. But not every person is a gifted footballer that will make 6 figures. And thousands of soccer players today simply do not.
For every Rashford, there are 10,000 other pros who make peanuts. #facts.
What you call peanuts when accumulated in a year or two is what most Doctors and Engineer with a P. hD or two will not earn in 5.

Those soccer players are simply not professional. Professional players that have associated with Professional football governing body earn good money.

That is not true. For every Rashford there are other pros that earn way more than he does. In fact go to word of entertainment, those actors, singers, rappers e.t.c make so much money.

2. The career of a footballer spans an average of 10 years as a pro. Barring injuries.What happens after that for the rest 40 to 50 years after that.we have seen a number of former internationals in public begging for financial help for one reason or the other.

I disagree. A professional footballer can play from age 20 till 40 and many of them retire after playing for at least 10 years. Injury doesn't even stop your weekly wages as a player, so far you have a contract you'll continue to get paid.

Those begging mismanaged their funds, a very good footballer can save for his retirement within 7 years of working. Mind you, many of them still take up jobs likes manager, assistant managers, football director, technical director and so on after hanging boots and these jobs pay more.

4. The challenge comes when the money stops coming weekly and the only skill you have is how to kick a soccer ball. When properlly weighed in the balance, a sound education is still the best investment, if you are thinking globally and not confining yourself to a Nigeria that kills dreams.

That is the problem I have with Nigerians. So learning how to play football is not sound education enough? Do you think those players are illiterates because they don't have a B. Sc? Do you think anyone will employ you if all you know is how to just kick a leather ball without precision and skills?

I look forward to the day parents will stop naming their unborn children Doctors and Engineers.

I look forward to the day parent will ask their ward what they want to become in life rather than forcing a career on them.

1 Like

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by 4ckz: 2:22pm On Aug 16, 2019
No matter how bad Nigeria seems, DO NOT EVER IGNORE THE IMPORTANCE OF EDUCATION!

You all keep calling the Ronaldos, messis, Beyonce, wizkids etc. But you forget one thing, they are the ones at the very top of the food chain in their various fields.

For every wizkid, rashford or tekno, there are hundreds of thousands to millions of people in that same field that can't even feed properly with what they do.

And mind you, with education, you will still see Engineers, doctors, lawyers richer than Messi but just not as famous, and those are the ones at the ones at the top of the educational food chain.

What you should consider is the average persons; an upcoming artist in Nigeria and a doctor doing his house job in Nigeria who earns more? And mind you, the doctor still has a higher probability of making it than the artist.

No matter how much the today society wants to twist it, EDUCATION IS STILL THE KEY.

1 Like

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by iamSTANAD(m): 4:42pm On Aug 16, 2019
Please guys, take a moment check this new short film out. It is an action film made in Nigeria and it is very promising.

DISTANCE II: DISCLOSURE is the title and it is on youtube. Click the link below to watch. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVNMjaxRa6I
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 16, 2019
Call me bad boy, i was... I once tried to poison my dad, lied my dad's friends connived to kidnap me. That was when i was just 6years old... I knew the poison inscription on the small white bags in new shoes can kill. Then i dropped it in his food!

We are raised to feel inferior down this part of the world. It's factory fitted.
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Ikennablue(m): 6:12pm On Aug 16, 2019
Bede2u:

So would you have your child trained to become Messi or an Engineer?

Talent has led a lot of people to wealth, that's absolutely correct but in context like this, Education should come first. A lot of persons are wasting in the street today because they are hoping to become the next Micheal Jackson.

Am not against looking at other part of life but bro when it comes to bringing up kids. The relevance of formal education need not to be over emphasized.
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Eggovic: 6:38pm On Aug 16, 2019
Ikennablue:

So would you have your child trained to become Messi or an Engineer?

Talent has led a lot of people to wealth, that's absolutely correct but in context like this, Education should come first. A lot of persons are wasting in the street today because they are hoping to become the next Micheal Jackson.

Am not against looking at other part of life but bro when it comes to bringing up kids. The relevance of formal education need not to be over emphasized.
Train your child to be a happy human being and not chase after money as success. Teach him to pursue his passion/talent/gift with an open mind. True success comes from fulfilment of purpose
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by franchasng: 6:48pm On Aug 16, 2019
otipoju:

How many Messis do we have? The likes of Messis are not the norm. Hope you know.

I play every saturday with retired Nigerian footballers in USA, na uber most of them dey take hold body. They got no skills to function after football. Yes thwy have built houses and hotels in Nigeria but still no skills to bring better income.

But if you go school and think global opportunities abound.

You are not making much sense, listen to that guy you have been quoting, he is making a lot of sense, mind you, I am a pure engineer who worked with some Intl firms, so don't go there, that guy is telling the truth.

Academics is no longer the key to success today. The era of industrial revolution has come and gone, we are now in the era of internet revolution and what talent can you offer to the world revolution.

So his point is, don't stress so much about academic performance or chastise your child or discriminate against any child because of his or her poor academic performance, you should focus on helping the child develop his/her talent, appreciate it, encourage the child to nurture and horn his natural talent and not force the child to perform like others academically to the detriment of his or her God given talent, skill and interest.

Talent and personal developments are producing more successful people today than Engineering, medicine and in fact academic profession.

2 Likes

Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Lagbaja01(m): 7:06pm On Aug 16, 2019
A big hug for you cheesy
Eggovic:

Train your child to be a happy human being and not chase after money as success. Teach him to pursue his passion/talent/gift with an open mind. True success comes from fulfilment of purpose
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by Mays24(f): 7:08pm On Aug 16, 2019
Everything shouldn't revolves round money, what if you are getting the money from the field you did not like or have the passion for? Depression comes in and voila undecided
Re: Avoid This Mistakes If Or When You Have A Child by GentleA(m): 10:49pm On Aug 16, 2019
Mays24:
Everything shouldn't revolves round money, what if you are getting the money from the field you did not like or have the passion for? Depression comes in and voila undecided

Yes ooo...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Estate Management And Computer Science, Which One Is Better? / Prof Maduike Ezeibe:Man With Cure For Hiv, Lasser Fever And Coronavirus / Get Ready For Full Re-opening Of Schools, FG Tells States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.