Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,019 members, 7,799,479 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 10:21 PM

Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail (2638 Views)

Senate Forgery: Judge Threatens To Quash Police Report / Judge Threatens To Discharge 24 Suspected Boko Haram Members / Judge Threatens To Dismiss Terrorism Case Against Sen. Ndume (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Nobody: 12:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
Judge threatens to grant Okah bail
, As S/African prosecution fails to prove case
From AMOS DUNIA, Abuja
Thursday, October 21, 2010

• Okah
Photo: Sun News Publishing
More Stories on This Section

The bail application of suspected Abuja bombing mastermind, Henry Okah took a dramatic twist yesterday when the State failed to produce substantial evidence linking him to the twin car bombings that killed 12 people in Abuja. Magistrate Hein Louw told the State that it had not brought forward evidence directly linking Okah to the crime.
“The State’s evidence is vague,” he said.

Okah’s defence lawyer also dared the State to produce any phone call, or e-mail which linked his client to the bombings.
State prosecutor Shaun Abrahams said the State had intentionally withheld this information as its investigation was in its infancy.

“You are damned if you do, you are damned if you don’t,” Louw told Abrahams. “I do understand your predicament,” he added.
Louw put an ultimatum to the State, saying that it should either reopen its case or allow him to pass judgment in the bail application. Abrahams then told the court that the State would apply for its case to be reopened.

“I will grant the State (permission) to reopen its case, but I will deal with this matter tomorrow morning. Should the State not be able to lead new evidence, I will deem it closed,” said Louw.
The matter was postponed to today. Okah faces charges of engaging in terrorist activities, conspiracy to engage in terrorist activity, and delivering, placing and detonating an explosive device.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2010/oct/21/newsbreak-21-10-2010-001.htm
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by ExInferis(m): 2:39pm On Oct 21, 2010
Finally! an african country not run by bumbling, incoherent monkeys in cowboy hats!
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Akanbiedu(m): 2:49pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^^^

In spite of myself being an African, that was funny to me.

The judge may be white though!
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by vicknesh: 2:52pm On Oct 21, 2010
president badluck jonathief has been trying to see the downfall of okah but by gods grace okah is wining the case cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Tallbull: 3:12pm On Oct 21, 2010
@vicknesh, y shud u think dt our dear presidnt wishes dt son of a gun dwnfal? U've 4gtn d attrocities comited by dis dude b4 nw he wz suposed 2 rot in jail.[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by EPOMA(m): 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2010
@poster
what do you mean by "Judge threatens"

It was totally out of order to arrest him in the first place. Nigerian government should go and do their home work
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by okeyxyz(m): 3:18pm On Oct 21, 2010
jabbok:

State failed to produce substantial evidence linking him to the twin car bombings that killed 12 people in Abuja. Magistrate Hein Louw told the State that it had not brought forward evidence directly linking Okah to the crime.
“The State’s evidence is vague,” he said.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/newsonthehour/2010/oct/21/newsbreak-21-10-2010-001.htm

Evidence is vague, conjecture, guesswork & figments of d imagination.
thank God for a system dat works.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Nobody: 3:34pm On Oct 21, 2010
EPOMA:

@poster
what do you mean by "Judge threatens"

It was totally out of order to arrest him in the first place. Nigerian government should go and do their home work
I don't know what the writer means by "Judge threatens".  However, I think the SA judge might be sarcastically giving Nigeria FG a dose of their own medicine. You remember that FG threatened to nationalize MTN over Okah's case.  So I think it is a case of threaten me, I threaten you too.  grin grin grin
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by okeyxyz(m): 3:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
jabbok:

I don't know what the writer means by "Judge threatens".  However, I think the SA judge might be sarcastically giving Nigeria FG a dose of their own medicine. You remember that FG threatened to nationalize MTN over Okah's case.  So I think it is a case of threaten me, I threaten you too.  grin grin grin

threat means wat it's supposed 2 mean: d judge is "determined 2 release okah if state does not come up wit substantial evidence."
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by hackney(m): 3:47pm On Oct 21, 2010
Ex Inferis:

Finally! an african country not run by bumbling, incoherent monkeys in cowboy hats!

GENIUS!
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by jumobi1(m): 4:02pm On Oct 21, 2010
Why are people acting like South Africa isn't corrupt?
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Bawss1(m): 4:06pm On Oct 21, 2010
jabbok:

I don't know what the writer means by "Judge threatens".  However, I think the SA judge might be sarcastically giving Nigeria FG a dose of their own medicine. You remember that FG [b]threatened to nationalize MTN over Okah's case. [/b] So I think it is a case of threaten me, I threaten you too.  grin grin grin

Off topic but still I keep wondering where this ''threatened to nationalize MTN theory'' came from. How is this remotely possible? Nationalize a a private company?! Where has this been done before? How come if such an absurdity is feasible they never threatened to nationalize Shell or Chevron?

It is amazing; the human penchant for exaggeration.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by asamuel: 4:11pm On Oct 21, 2010
Shop for all your books, DVDs, Electronics, games, computers, cameras, toys, etc at www.kalahari.com.ng.

Don't miss out!!!!!!
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Ess: 4:12pm On Oct 21, 2010
Bawss1:

Off topic but still I keep wondering where this ''threatened to nationalize MTN theory'' came from. How is this remotely possible? Nationalize a a private company?! Where has this been done before? How come if such an absurdity is feasible they never threatened to nationalize Shell or Chevron?

Lol, that beats me too.

On a lighter note I believe our Govt has been playing too much games on this whole issue and hence I smell a lot of foul play. A lot of people are not looking in both directions while arguing, but just for selfish or tribalistic interests, if there is such a word, lol.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 21, 2010
Bawss1:

Guy, do not underestimate state powers, FG can nationalize any company if they really want to. We are talking about national security here. Forget say Naija na sleeping giant.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by bibiking1(m): 4:20pm On Oct 21, 2010
well i see no threat in this action!
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Nobody: 4:27pm On Oct 21, 2010
The Republic of South Africa has reopened its case against suspected terrorist Henry Okah today, following a ruling by presiding magistrate Hein Louw that he needed "something substantial" to come to a decision concerning Mr Okah's bail application.

Consequently, the prosecution presented evidence against Mr Okah in court this morning.

Prosecution lawyer Shaun Abrahams read a statement signed by the Police Services officer in charge of the investigation, Noel Graeme Zeeman, which said prior to the detonation of the two vehicle improvised explosive devices on 1 October in Abuja, two vehicles were purchased in Lagos on Okah's instructions.

Chima Orlu is said to have acted on the instructions of Mr Okah. Mr Orlu's telephone records show that on 1 October he made a total of 43 voice calls and sent 27 text messages to co-perpetrators and co-conspirators. Ben Ebere had been in telephonic and SMS contact with Okah right up to 29 september. There were 1126 calls from Okah to Ben Ebere aka Ben Jesse from 7 August to 29 September."

Mr Orlu was declared wanted by Nigeria's State Security Service after the blast.

Current gist,pls change the topic its deceptive.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 21, 2010
Bawss1:

eh?

ask chavez he nationalized oil cos if i remember correctly

muritala mohd nationalized bp to ap

some carribean countries nationalized their banks i the 80s i think
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Bawss1(m): 4:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
jabbok:

Guy, do not underestimate state powers, FG can nationalize any company if they really want to. We are talking about national security here. Forget say Naija na sleeping giant.  

Where in the world has a private foreign company been nationalized by any government on grounds of national security? If anything I think we shouldn't underestimate the powers of (rich) corporate organizations in influencing government decisions.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by confetti(f): 5:12pm On Oct 21, 2010
Prosecution introduces new evidence against Okah

By Ruona Agbroko

October 21, 2010 04:48PM
Print print Email email Share Share

The Republic of South Africa reopened its case against suspected terrorist, Henry Okah, today, following a ruling by Presiding Magistrate, Hein Louw, that he needed "something substantial" to come to a decision concerning Mr Okah's bail application.

Consequently, the prosecution presented evidence against Mr Okah in court this morning. Prosecution lawyer, Shaun Abrahams, read a supplementary affidavit signed by the Police Services Officer in charge of the investigation, Noel Graeme Zeeman, which said prior to the detonation of the two vehicle-improvised explosive devices on 1 October in Abuja, two vehicles were purchased in Lagos on Mr Okah's instructions.

According to the affidavit, the explosions took place under the supervision of Chima Orlu, who is said to have acted on the instructions of Mr Okah. Mr Orlu's telephone records show that he had been in contact with Mr Okah on numerous occasions leading up to October 1. Mr Okah is said to have sent text messages to Mr Orlu on 30 September 2010 at 12h 38:11pm, and on October 1 at 6h 02:39am, 7h 40: 20am, 7h 41:22am and at 7h 41:35 am. Mr Zeeman's statement stressed that "of greater significance is that Mr Orlu sent an SMS to Mr Okah at precisely 10h 58:59 am on 1 October, 13h 13:01am and 13h 29:59pm on the same day."

Mr Zeeman's affidavit adds that Mr Orlu "made a total of 43 voice calls and sent 27 text messages to co-perpetrators and co-conspirators."

Mr Orlu was declared wanted by Nigeria's State Security Service after the bomb blast.

The affidavit also states that Ben Ebere had made voice calls and SMS to Mr Okah right up to 29 September. "There were 1126 calls from Okah to Ben Ebere, aka Ben Jesse, from 7 August to 29 September," stated Mr Zeeman. Mr Okah also sent 59 text messages to Ben Ebere from 1 July 2010 to September 2010.

It was also revealed that e-mails between Mr Okah and arrested suspects John Tarmy and First Man were being investigated. One in particular read: "Done, tell them to leave now." According to the document, this email was forwarded from First Man to John Tarmy at 11:15 am on 1 October 2010 and forwarded the same day to Mr Okah at 16h 25:40.

Okah's attorney responds

Rudi Krause, lawyer to Mr Okah, took time off to consult with his client and then filed an affidavit stating that he would not be able to refute the allegations presented by the prosecution unless he was provided with printouts of the telephone records, text messages, cell phone memory and the hard drive from Okah's computers which the State used in making up its case. He suggested that the evidence put before the court had been fabricated.

At this point, Judge Louw pointed out that the cell phone and computers were Mr Okah's, and seized from his own home, which "precludes the state from fabricating evidentiary material."

Mr Krause, in resuming his reading of his client's affidavit, said Mr Okah had no knowledge of Chima Orlu and Ben Jesse, but had received information that Ben Jesse used cell phone number 08039945640 and he (Mr Okah) therefore couldn't access his call records to cross-check this information, as his cell phone had been seized by the police.

But prosecution lawyer, Shaun Abrahams maintained that; "we can give copies of what was seized from him (Mr Okah), and not what was obtained in the course of the investigation." He also pointed out that Mr Okah "miraculously produced a telephone number for Ben Jesse, after saying he didn't know Ben Jesse during cross-examination."

Judge Louw subsequently ruled that the State would go through Mr Okah's request and adjourned the matter till tomorrow, 22 October.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/Metro/Crime/5633276-146/prosecution_introduces_new_evidence_against_okah.csp
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 21, 2010
^ New evidence indeed. Just like the text message evidence on NTA with Dokpesi's name
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by chosen04(f): 6:50pm On Oct 21, 2010
I have always said that HENRY OKAH is innocent and will finally WALK FREE from this evil government . . . .

I love what OKAH represents!!!!!
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by naso2(m): 7:13pm On Oct 21, 2010

I have always said that HENRY OKAH is innocent and will finally WALK FREE from this evil government . . . .

I love what OKAH represents!!!!!

eh, tell me you are only trying to be sarcastic here.

In case, i mean just in case you are serious about the text in bold, kindly then fill me in. What exactly does okah represent?
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by debosky(m): 7:15pm On Oct 21, 2010
Where is Beaf with all the noise he was making?

The state is struggling to produce evidence against Okah, despite all their 'intelligence' and 'investigations'. It's all a big joke.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by naso2(m): 7:26pm On Oct 21, 2010
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Nobody: 7:37pm On Oct 21, 2010
debosky:

Where is Beaf with all the noise he was making?

The state is struggling to produce evidence against Okah, despite all their 'intelligence' and 'investigations'. It's all a big joke.

better stop smearing our experts. you wouldn't understand. this is an ongoing investigation and they do not need input of empty headed civilians

the fact that the only visible 'break(charle's okah's arrest)' we have seen in this case came as a result of newspaper articles is just a coincidence
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Tregyl: 7:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
The knotty events are just unfolding. If Okah is clean, then Jomo Gbomo isnt clean; if Jomo Gbomo is clean, then okah isnt. I really cant see the tree from the wood.
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by jidemac4: 8:32pm On Oct 21, 2010
come, who is the judge threatening? undecided
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by itsmayiela(m): 12:17pm On Oct 22, 2010
Okah is beginning to gain a lot of popularity & sympathy. This is bad omen for GEJ. Next time, the federal govt will not act b4 thinking well
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by chines4(m): 12:42pm On Oct 22, 2010
We are watching and we are waiting lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by stonedlive(m): 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2010

point of reference , president of venezuela , hugo chavez threatened to nationalise some foreign oil companies operating in
his country if they didnt tow his line, lol
Re: Judge Threatens To Grant Okah Bail by Henwarin(m): 10:10pm On Oct 26, 2010
I cant imagine a responsible person bearing such a stupid name as vicknash coming out to say rubbish about my humble president, and all his blind friends supporting the evil done to my beloved country.I only wish that all these guys and the members of their families will be the once affected by the next bomb attack since they want it to continue.

(1) (Reply)

‘we Want An Awolowo In Southern Kaduna’ / Senator Enang Reveals That Northerners Own 80% Of Nigerian Oil Blocs-the NATION / Finally! Boko Haram Agree To Release ALL Chibok Girls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.