Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help (921 Views)

Someone Tried To Assassinate Obasanjor Today! But Failed. / Boko-Haram Tried To Kidnap 540 School-Girls At Bajoga, But Failed!! (Pictures) / Suggestions To Make Nigeria Better (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by ijogbon(m): 11:39am On May 15, 2007
Please, I am starting this thread for proactive pragmatic newage Nigerians everywhere.

We are not here to whine and complain about infrastructure and the government.

If you have tried to do something and have failed in someway but you see other people succeeding please post here and hopefully someone who has been successful will help.

I think thats what NL is all about.

Thank You.
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by JustGood(m): 12:32pm On May 15, 2007
I started an association with a group of guys around me, majority of whom I thought were smart but mainly unemployed and under privileged. We canvassed and campaigned against bad leadership. Our strategy was to start in our locality, Ebute Metta Lagos. We encouraged people not to vote for anyone who had any history of corruption or bad performance in office.

I was frustrated when the so called elders decided to vote for known thieves and looters. I remember the guy who even won the Chairmanship then was someone who was known as a thieving councillor and who even burgled and looted the council offices when he was leaving his position as councilor. The same man was voted as Chairman in the same local Government. fyi, the election was not particularly rigged because we monitored it very well as we were permitted by INEC and the Police at the time.

that made me realise that we are not suffering yet as Nigerians; wehn we really suffer and want change, we will effect it. I therefore decided to leave such people with their own ways
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by ijogbon(m): 1:25pm On May 15, 2007
@Justgood

This is just my opinion.

First of all I really appreciate the fact that you would post here it means that you are relly concerned and want to contribute.

My opinion:
We are Nigerians, we know Nigeria. Lets not pretend we are in HEAVEN,,,,because even the UK and the USA have their own limitations when it comes to politics and administration. FYI in the UK where i live,,,,there have been occasions of wide spread rigging of elections ditto the USA.

What I heard you say here was that you tried to fell a leviathan with a blow from a rolled up newspaper,,,,its not going to work.
I heard a lot concerning (and expected a lot) of rigging in the (s)elections. But in this age of video and camera phones, digital cameras etc I have not seen anywhere,,,,,on NL, youtube etc any videos or pictures showing 'widespread rigging'.
I wonder if you know what videos can do,,,,the LA riots is one poignant example.
You would have done more getting video documentation and posting on the internet for unbiased reviews and I am sure you will get the support and the effect you want.

Just my view.
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by Olowoaiye(m): 4:09pm On May 15, 2007
@ ijogbon

the election wasnt rigged. read his submission properly.
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by BigB11(m): 4:48pm On May 15, 2007
First, @Ijogbon: incredible topic; BRAVO to you

@justgood

I truly admire your sincere intention and an excellent state of mind.

But I think your project would have been more successful if you had canvassed and campaigned to empower election process and educate the voters. You would have gotten more support or positive attention from a greater percentage of the population.
Eventhough the strategy may be different, but I think the objectives of my suggestion and the route you've selected  (canvassed and campaigned against bad leadership) are the same.

My advise:
Don't give up, you may not have accomplished you goal this time around, but next time will be better. You should use this failure as a lesson.

With your style of thinking and your sincerity, I think you can touch many people positively and this will definitely help us to move our great nation forward effectively, efficiently and unitedly.

You go boy!
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by ijogbon(m): 11:53pm On May 15, 2007
@Olowoaiye
Well spotted. But I expected you to then propose 'your' solution though. We want this to be a proactive thread ensuring that every post goes on to contribute to a general enligtenment.

@Big B1
Na tire I tire come siddon think say 'how far?' Please contribute with excitement.

Regarding Justgoods' issue I still think my 'approach' would still have worked. Because you didnt SEE any rigging did not mean there was no rigging. As we all know these so called ELDERS did not constitute the entire electorate. So are we trying to say the successful candidate was chosen by concensus ? If so where were the other candidates?
Exposing these so called elders and their error with these electronic media would have ensured that people could understand WHO made the mistakes and next time hopefully not listen to these so called elders.
You see the other day I was watching Adedibus' interview on Ben Tv and I must say that though I have never liked the man (Infact I can say I hated him) I find myself now respecting him. I mean the man is a PROFESSIONAL at what he does. He said all those things there and in Naij too when I was there but nobody has come out to refute his statements. Frankly if I wanted a political Coup in Oyo state I would go to him. That is strategy. You do your situational analysis and then plan. Adedibu can either be an Asset or a Liability, In Oyo he can never be overlooked. That is a professional.
In Ebute metta I am sure a similar take on the issue would have produced more desirable solutions.

The bottom line is that:
1. Your responsibility is to document and make aware for posterity. (Note: Adedibu Interview will always be there for ever) When a more accountable government comes into power he will pay I assure you.
2. Read The Art of War, Never confront an Enemy you are weaker than, bide your time till the seasons are in your favour.
3. Never fight on a terrain that is advantageous to your adversary. Take the Higher ground.

That is my contribution again.
House, I rest my case.
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by ogogoro: 11:55pm On May 15, 2007
Brilliant thread, ijogbon.

I'm trying something. . . I haven't "failed" yet, I'm not planning to either.
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by ijogbon(m): 12:16am On May 16, 2007
@Ogogoro
Aluta Continua.
Please involve us in the success too O !!!!

The Yorubas' say - A ko jo kpo owo ni eru fi'n de ori. (Hands come together to get the baggage on the head)
Re: What I Have Tried To Do To Make Nigeria Better But Failed, Pls Help by ijogbon(m): 12:24pm On May 17, 2007
Mmmmmm All quiet here?

Does that mean nobody is doing anything to make Nigeria better? Or nobody is Failing? Or better still y'all dont need help? shocked

N E ways 'Ad astra per aspera' - To the stars through difficulty !

(1) (Reply)

What Can We Do To Help Nigeria? / Atiku Abubakar Back In Nigeria / Anambra State.god Will Save Us All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.