Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,667 members, 7,801,923 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:05 AM

Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? (11571 Views)

Does Religion Matter? / Does Religion Matter To God? / Does Religion Matter When We Both Love Each Other? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by 9aiboard: 8:13am On Aug 18, 2019
Jesus died for all that's love

Love goes beyond ethic and religious barrier

1 Like

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by millionboi2: 8:13am On Aug 18, 2019
Be legit mek thy no write ur name4forbes come clean m back oo
Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by seunmohmoh(f): 8:15am On Aug 18, 2019
Marrying the opposite religion doesn't always work. At the end your spouse may try to convert you in the future and when this happens, it causes great havoc in the marriage.

As for me, I'm marrying someone from my religion. Do what works for you.

Happy Sunday.

5 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by dingbang(m): 8:17am On Aug 18, 2019
If you believe in Jesus, I will marry you.
Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by StaffofOrayan(m): 8:17am On Aug 18, 2019
Yorubas marry whoever
Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by koolaid87: 8:18am On Aug 18, 2019
Your values determine your attitude

Your attitude determines your character

Your character is who you are

Religion is part of other values that influence our attitude

So back to your question sir, Religion is important

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by sacramento1212: 8:18am On Aug 18, 2019
0temSapien:
You should put religion aside when you love your spouse. I am neither a Christian nor a Muslim but I can go along well with either of them.

So which one do you practice?
Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Neoteny(m): 8:20am On Aug 18, 2019
Religion is fast losing its grip.

It has failed to create the ideals of peace and harmony.

It was designed to comfort man when he was in the dark about the mysteries of life. What science unravels, religion retreats.

Thousands of years later and there's still no evidence of the man in the sky.

What's worse is when stupid people survive dangerous accidents with serious injuries and give thanks to god....er, he didn't stop the accident. If he loved you he wouldn't arrange for it to happen to begin with.

Even worse is when some charlatans claim direct access to god and milk you for the privilege of some imaginary favors.

All the spirituality you need is within you.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by xapo(m): 8:21am On Aug 18, 2019
As a Christian you have to marry a Christian
That is what the bible said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by sacramento1212: 8:21am On Aug 18, 2019
And in that same religion, there's division. Most especially Christianity. A Pentecostal church fellow wouldn't wanna get involved with an Orthodox fellow. It just doesn't make any sense.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by GOFRONT(m): 8:22am On Aug 18, 2019
Religion is overrated...

3 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Midastorch(m): 8:23am On Aug 18, 2019
Is it not a Christian lady that locked a ten year old boy inside cage where dogs live?? If you are to choose between her and a well behaved God-fearing Muslim that really loves you,you’ll still go for your religion bah? Most of us have been blinded by religion that we don’t see good in people from other religion... I am Yoruba Christian, My girlfriend is a kanuri Muslim and I am marrying her next year....you can all fuckoff with your stupid religions

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Midastorch(m): 8:23am On Aug 18, 2019
GOFRONT:
Religion is overrated

Bless you brov... overly overrated

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Jayloy: 8:24am On Aug 18, 2019
Spiritual compatibility is important in marriage and for Nigerians it solves avoidable conflict.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by freethinker01: 8:28am On Aug 18, 2019
That's what religion does, creates disparity and superiority complex. Humanity should come first not religion.

4 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by helinues: 8:31am On Aug 18, 2019
Religions, Regions or ethnicity doesn't matters if there is truly love between the lovers

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by PrinceGallant: 8:35am On Aug 18, 2019
Opposite of LOVE is DIFFERENCES. So if there is a difference in couple's religion, then where is love? Unless if the two are not care about religion, their married life will be marred at their differences. If you are religion-conscious, marry one who shares your belief. In fact, there is directive on this in Islam.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by livinbygrace: 8:36am On Aug 18, 2019
Xzellentgraphic:

As a man you need a good christian woman in your life to stand in gap for u in terms of prayer

Love is the most important factor in relationship and not religion .Same way Tinubu,fashola,Amosun ,Saraki and all other rich men married from other religion?

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by enambobo(m): 8:36am On Aug 18, 2019
How does Love work where there is no unity in believe and purpose? It only brings about a divided home which no man will want for a family. To avoid this, it's essential that a life time partner shares your believes and ways of doing things. Marriage is for two compatible individuals in all ramifications.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Kingosytex(m): 8:36am On Aug 18, 2019
Love is above religion. In fact, if love is the most universally practised RELIGION, then the world would be a paradise.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by kebliss(m): 8:36am On Aug 18, 2019
Humanity should precede Religion, but it's sad we have it the other way round.

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by AntiWailer: 8:44am On Aug 18, 2019
Love is more complex than we think.

Do u really love the person or something just dey shack u temporarily.

Religious views can eventually wreck the whole thing.

If your value is One Man , one wife and u claim to marry a Muslim cos of love. (Just an example)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Elzakzaky: 8:45am On Aug 18, 2019
Loyalty
Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Nobody: 9:10am On Aug 18, 2019
koolaid87:
Your values determine your attitude

Your attitude determines your character

Your character is who you are

Religion is part of other values that influence our attitude

So back to your question sir, Religion is important

Seems Religion has a new face back then killings were carried out in the name of Religion and still. As much as I am a Christian, I find myself seeing this religion thing as a form of control. That thought cant shake off my head anytime I seel for answers I'm told to take things by faith , what does that mean ? To believe without questioning ? This is why religion is very hard for me. I just go to church and pray because I grew up that way, but deep down I have reservations about religion. I'm definitely confused and yet it's hard for religion to give me an answer not shrouded with more questions.

3 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by churchee: 9:15am On Aug 18, 2019
paxonel:
it means regular church going and being a active member.

It is either you are not educated, or you refused to learn.
James 1:27
This is what the father considers as true religion; to take care of orphans and widows in their sufferings and to keep oneself from being corrupted by the world.

Churchee.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by themanderon: 9:22am On Aug 18, 2019
It is a very dangerous thing to do as there will certainly be conflicts along the way.
Remember Solomon was turned away from God the moment he started taking strange women from strange lands with strange gods as wives. Now think about it, if the wisest of them all became an idol worshipper what makes you think you are wiser?

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by xaggar(m): 9:25am On Aug 18, 2019
aaronson:
In Nigeria it should matter unless you find a partner quite intelligent as you and not overtly religious, these type of girls are rare and most are very introverted, nerdy and always indoors. The only place you can easily find them is on Twitter also putting out sarcastic quotes.

One thing I noticed is if you as a guy is Atheist but comfortable with enough money in your name, live in a decent house and own a nice ride. The most religious girl will ignore you being Atheist and still love you. So it's safe to say cash rule the world -- at least it do with girls
At least it do with churches, seek the truth and true it hurts.

Trash talk!
Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by xaggar(m): 9:26am On Aug 18, 2019
themanderon:
It is a very dangerous thing to do as there will certainly be conflicts along the way.
Remember Solomon was turned away from God the moment he started taking strange women from strange lands with strange gods as wives. Now think about it, if the wisest of them all became an idol worshipper what makes you think you are wiser?
the

Now here is a real talk!

1 Like

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by xaggar(m): 9:29am On Aug 18, 2019
Midastorch:
Is it not a Christian lady that locked a ten year old boy inside cage where dogs live?? If you are to choose between her and a well behaved God-fearing Muslim that really loves you,you’ll still go for your religion bah? Most of us have been blinded by religion that we don’t see good in people from other religion... I am Yoruba Christian, My girlfriend is a kanuri Muslim and I am marrying her next year....you can all fuckoff with your stupid religions

Just because one's name is Mary or Magdalene and she attend a church or denomination where they sing and dance through 80% of the church service or all day don't make her Christian.

3 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by wonder233: 9:34am On Aug 18, 2019
I agree with you. Most times, the man loses out in such an arrangement...reason being the woman usually has more time with the infant kids, hence most times, the kids naturally gravitate to their mother's religion, leaving the man a stranger in his own home...This is the reason most times, women are the ones who don't mind the inter-religious marriage cos they know they really have nothing to lose.
Especially if the woman is a christian and the man a muslim, christianity is already less tedious and more flashy than Islam, so OYO for the muslim man.
olanlokun07:
Very sensitive topic, I personally can't marry someone of different religion, because the kind of home I wanna build,I don't want that kind of differences, I want a synergy in all things including the choice of religion. But let everyone knows what works for them and act accordingly.

2 Likes

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Obinnau(m): 9:34am On Aug 18, 2019
Interesting discussion here.
I feel this issue relates directly to me.
I find it strange that most of the ladies that have come closer to my life are Muslim ladies, I tend to kill the relationship before it even started, but recently I started to have strong questions and reservations. If I find a Muslim lady that is all down for us together, should I leave her and continue looking for another lady from my faith, what if I go ahead and marry from Islam would there not be family conflicts later on in our life when the initial attraction have whittled down? What about the children?
Lots of issues.
But then I am beginning to see religion and a gag of some sorts that is bounding us from showing real humanity because ordinarily love should come ahead of religion, but in Nigeria, the reverse is the case.
I am also still confused about the whole thing.
But it takes guts to damn friends, family and society to marry another from a different faith.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Religion Matter Above Love In Choosing A Life Partner? by Midastorch(m): 9:34am On Aug 18, 2019
xaggar:

Just because one's name is Mary or Magdalene and she attend a church or denomination where they sing and dance through 80% of the church service or all day don't make her Christian.
True that

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are You A Church Worker Or A Bench Warmer? / Chilling In The Mosque / Top 10 Most Popular Verses In The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.