Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,108 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:25 PM

I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? (62181 Views)

My Dad's Driver First Child Looks Different From The Rest, I'm Worried / Worried About My 1year Marriage! / My Husband Doesn't Want Me To Be Close To His Brothers. Is He Normal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by adecamp(m): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2019
All I see is you have given birth to a star. His brain is processing alot of things. As he grows up, his true talent will showcase. If you notice he has a special interest in anything, allow him exploit and watch wonders
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by gdolls: 6:58am On Aug 21, 2019
I can help in this 100% to correct that child as i was once like that but i got help from my late mum and dad
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by dan2976: 6:58am On Aug 21, 2019
Don't always leave him alone.. Do that only when he is studying.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by DEBJOCH1(m): 6:59am On Aug 21, 2019
SEND HIM TO A NIGERIAN SCHOOL FOR BRAIN REFORMATING, YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by hysteriabox(m): 7:00am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Although it's not allowed here but I've moved from smacking to beating now but no change in his behaviour. I fear this boy will put me into trouble one day or grow up to hate me. I'm thinking of sending him to naija for one school semester but hubby refused.
Seconded! Seconded!! Seconded ooo!!!
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by ruffDiamond: 7:01am On Aug 21, 2019
ajebutta ...ajepako pikin won't be caught dead.doing all this things cos the early momo resetting koboko or mnnnnnnnn hard knuckle is £nough trust me

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Conceptman: 7:03am On Aug 21, 2019
I will just advice you not to worry yourself any health situation, he is very ok but there are ways u can assist him change but it's going to take lots of time and patience, #1 don't scream at him ,#2: find time to go out with him and get him use to social activities like cinemas, parks where he meets other calm and intelligent children, whilde doing this, point out some things you dont like in his behaviors And tell him u will stop all this special treatments if he doesn't Change his behaviors #3: engage in house together, for now don't let him do alone, be there with him while u put him through #4: don't compare him with any other kids, u might end up hurting your feelings towards him , Children can't be thesame in everything #5: engage in Bible reading and prayers together before school, kid's biblical books #6: get informations about his activities at school, the kind of children he mingles with, always give him an unexpected visit at school. Watch him change gradually. God bless them all
jess2019:
My son will be 9 in October but his behaviour bothers me so much. He acts like a day dreamer. He has turned me into a shouting and miserable mum as I had to beat him after I've exhausted other punishment options. To make this short, I'm going to summarise his behaviour.

He still cannot get himself ready for school in the morning. Either he doesnt cream his body or forgets to comb his hair or doesnt brush his teeth. He forgets to brush his teeth almost everyday. This made me to make a list of step by step sticker. I sticked this on their bathroom mirror and on his bedroom wall. Yet I have to keep reminding him everyday. For example, last week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday he forgot to brush his teeth and hair. I have to constantly be reminding him every morning. He is the only one that brushes teeth after getting ready. I trained them to brush teeth first before shower but he keeps forgetting.

I have to remind him to do his homework, and put it back in his school bag to return to school on Mondays. The book will still not make it to the school even after constant reminder. We've lost countless of lunch bags. One ended up on school roof. If you give him any form to submit back to his teacher. He will forget in his bag so I now give it to his sister to give to his teacher.

He removes his clothes, shoes, pants, belts etc and leave them on the floor, I bought two laundry baskets for him. One in his room, another in their bathroom, yet all his belongings end up on the floor that you can hardly find a space to put a foot. I dont expect him to be perfect but atleast to try so that his 70% clothes make it to the basket or shoes to their racks. He also has a book shelf and desk yet they also end up on the floor.

He plays so much that sometimes he leaves shops with items in his hands. So I have to always watch out for him. Living in a western country where black boys are stereotyped I fear for him. He can stare at the ceiling for hrs when getting ready for school or spend long time in the shower yet not using soap on his body. This usually makes us late unless I step in to help or keep shouting.

If you ask him to do any house chores, he will not do it instead waiting for us to forget so he can get away with it. When grounded not to watch TV, he will still do it once he knows am inside my room or busy with a baby.

Yesterday we revised all his lesson assignments (5 work books). I specifically asked him to put them in his lesson bag. I pointed at the bag. Now I drop him at the lesson only for him to say oh I think I came with old lesson books. I dont know how he ended up with old books in his bag. It could be he planned it as a way to avoid the lesson. If not I wonder how he will remember it himself as soon as I drop him and his sister as this is unlike him.

I've taken him to a doctor incase there is any diagnosis so I can give him all the help he needs but they said it's just his behaviour because according to the doctor he is smart academically. He is 18months ahead of his year level. So they ruled ADHD out.

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by mayana(m): 7:04am On Aug 21, 2019
go on to jw.org to get the latest awake with the topic 'six lessons children need to learn'. you will not regret reading it.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Resurgent2016: 7:04am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

He is very athletic and good in all sports. Plays basketball, soccer, swimming and athletic. He won two consecutive cross country and broke the state record in 300m race. High scorer in his basketball team; plays for two clubs.

I'm even thinking this behaviour
started since he became too active in so many sports. Thinking I should stop him �

Madam, pls don't stop his sport activities o, that could be his future career
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by eyennyin: 7:10am On Aug 21, 2019
If you have a trusted relative in Nigeria, send him here. His brain will reset. But get him a good school here.

1 Like

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by AKzee(m): 7:12am On Aug 21, 2019
Provided he is a boy. He's very normal. I can relate. Intelligent children are like that. Sign of intelligence. Better rejoice. He is just 9. Keep your cool.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by galantjoe(m): 7:14am On Aug 21, 2019
Trust me such child will grow up to become a great man. I played too much when I was at the same age but When I reached 13 I resolved to be serious with my study. Those children that are not playing now must still play even at old age.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 21, 2019
Stop hitting him whatsoever,first of all investigate to see if there's anyone bullying him among his peers,does he wet the bed?has he always been like this or is it a sudden change?

I do suggest that you see a psychologist first,I however think that he Will grow out of it,every child are different especially boys are usually slower than girls at this stage,he'll definitely grow out of it,but see a psychologist first he could be in the autistic or aspergious spectrum.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by gly2ken: 7:17am On Aug 21, 2019
I have a 8 years old son that behaves exactly like what you described. Though my son is very intelligent when you interact with him, his never serious with his books. But I bet you they change with age. That was how my eldest brother was, but changed.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Reptyle(m): 7:18am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:
My son will be 9 in October but his behaviour bothers me so much. He acts like a day dreamer. He has turned me into a shouting and miserable mum as I had to beat him after I've exhausted other punishment options. To make this short, I'm going to summarise his behaviour.

He still cannot get himself ready for school in the morning. Either he doesnt cream his body or forgets to comb his hair or doesnt brush his teeth. He forgets to brush his teeth almost everyday. This made me to make a list of step by step sticker. I sticked this on their bathroom mirror and on his bedroom wall. Yet I have to keep reminding him everyday. For example, last week on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday he forgot to brush his teeth and hair. I have to constantly be reminding him every morning. He is the only one that brushes teeth after getting ready. I trained them to brush teeth first before shower but he keeps forgetting.

I have to remind him to do his homework, and put it back in his school bag to return to school on Mondays. The book will still not make it to the school even after constant reminder. We've lost countless of lunch bags. One ended up on school roof. If you give him any form to submit back to his teacher. He will forget in his bag so I now give it to his sister to give to his teacher.

He removes his clothes, shoes, pants, belts etc and leave them on the floor, I bought two laundry baskets for him. One in his room, another in their bathroom, yet all his belongings end up on the floor that you can hardly find a space to put a foot. I dont expect him to be perfect but atleast to try so that his 70% clothes make it to the basket or shoes to their racks. He also has a book shelf and desk yet they also end up on the floor.

He plays so much that sometimes he leaves shops with items in his hands. So I have to always watch out for him. Living in a western country where black boys are stereotyped I fear for him. He can stare at the ceiling for hrs when getting ready for school or spend long time in the shower yet not using soap on his body. This usually makes us late unless I step in to help or keep shouting.

If you ask him to do any house chores, he will not do it instead waiting for us to forget so he can get away with it. When grounded not to watch TV, he will still do it once he knows am inside my room or busy with a baby.

Yesterday we revised all his lesson assignments (5 work books). I specifically asked him to put them in his lesson bag. I pointed at the bag. Now I drop him at the lesson only for him to say oh I think I came with old lesson books. I dont know how he ended up with old books in his bag. It could be he planned it as a way to avoid the lesson. If not I wonder how he will remember it himself as soon as I drop him and his sister as this is unlike him.

I've taken him to a doctor incase there is any diagnosis so I can give him all the help he needs but they said it's just his behaviour because according to the doctor he is smart academically. He is 18months ahead of his year level. So they ruled ADHD out.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Sorry I'm not laughing at you oooo!

I showed your post to my wife and she asked me after reading "Please what is she complaining about?" cheesy cheesy cheesy

I have a 10-year-old boy and I can tell you for a fact that your post almost perfectly describes him.

You have nothing to worry about. What your son is going through is called "growing up." Just keep nurturing, guiding and directing. Bear the pain of constant correction and shouting for now. When you have to discipline him by spanking or corporal punishment, make sure you are in the right frame of mind and do it from a heart of love...not frustration at his behaviour.

Thank God he doesn't have a learning disability. Every other thing will fall in place duly. He will be just fine. smiley smiley
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by lovchalice(f): 7:23am On Aug 21, 2019
I lost 6 school bags in a term when I was 6yrs and had to repeat a class cos of no writing material. My teacher gave me a pencil on the day of the last paper and I scored 56 out of 60. My only score in the exam. I'm now a BSc holder in Industrial Chemistry and teaching Physics and Chemistry in a sec school. Don't beat him much abeg
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by wirinet(m): 7:28am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

I have to remind him to do his homework , and put it back in his school bag to return to school on Mondays. The book will still not make it to the school even after constant reminder. We've lost countless of lunch bags. One ended up on school roof. If you give him any form to submit back to his teacher. He will forget in his bag so I now give it to his sister to give to his teacher.

Give the kid some slack, you are putting too much pressure on him, and he is reacting. He is only 9 for got sake.

You expect a 9 year old to get himself ready for school, bath himself, cream his own body, remember to brush his own teeth, do chores, clean his own room and remember to do his home work? What about cooking and paying the bills? Even some university students behave exactly like your kid.

Kids have different personalities, and you as a parent needs to understand and treat each child differently and not expect all children to behave the same way. I have 3 kids, the oldest at 11years do his home work immediately he comes home before removing his uniform, the second never does his homework without cane, most of the time if my wife or I do not remind him, the homework will not be done. The irony is that his gets better grades than his senior brother that always does his homework, he has never gotten less than 90% average scores in any exams.

You need to have patience. Parenting is not an easy task. I hope you have the help and support of your husband, not just financially, but also emotionally. Just keep guiding and correcting them, the habits you want them to imbibe will gradually sink in
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by unclemaths(m): 7:29am On Aug 21, 2019
Hi me on WhatsApp..
0816-745-8059
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Whitetalker: 7:30am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Although it's not allowed here but I've moved from smacking to beating now but no change in his behaviour. I fear this boy will put me into trouble one day or grow up to hate me. I'm thinking of sending him to naija for one school semester but hubby refused.
Hope you've gone to his school to ensure that he isn't getting bullied. If you haven't, please try to make sure of that. Find out also what your son enjoys doing the most, this two facts can lead the situation somewhere positive.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by TomiSwag(m): 7:39am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Hi, Good Morning.
Please take it easy....he's not even 9yrs old yet.
You're complaining like he's 19 yrs old!

1. Pray or should I say keep praying( coz every parent MUST pray for their kids)
2. Use rewards to encourage him to carry out any task or house chore you want him to accomplish.
3. You mentioned that he is academically sound. So introduce more nonacademic activities: creative arts, performing arts, Saturday sports, musical instruments ( forget about afterschool lessons esp on Fri, Sat & Sundays).
4. Carry out house chored and tasks with him.( not as a monitoring spirit) He should also perform house chores, school assignments with his other siblings (not individually).
5. Give the little kid a breather. He's not even 9!
Let him enjoy his childhood to the fullest coz in 9 yes time he'll be an adult with all the responsibilities of 'His' world on his shoulders.
6. The same as No 1. Keep praying for him and keep being his loving parent.

God bless.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 21, 2019
Flier:
As I said the mother is the problem,either she is lazy or doesn’t know the right thing,the boy is 8 years plus and she want him to do everything without supervision

Well some people whonare 8+ can do all that without any supervision.

Children are different.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by vivianobas: 7:42am On Aug 21, 2019
Madam please do not put unnecessary pressure on this little champ.

Show him love and always talk to him like you are discussing with your friend. Beating or spanking does not change a child. On a daily basis tell him you want the best for him hence your reason for always correcting him. I have a 7 year old too and I perfectly understand how these things work. Pray for him always and tell God what you want him to be.

Please be patient with him and always tell him you have his best interest at heart at all times. May God continue to strengthen you and your family in Jesus name. Amen

NB: Please do not complicate things by sending him to Nigeria otherwise you expose him to other vices.

jess2019:

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by israelmao(m): 7:44am On Aug 21, 2019
Take things easy and watch him change as he grows,you would be surprised that he may be catching fun secretly with your behaviour towards his habits, I mean he does some things repeatedly to see how you react or to wear you out.Don't always be too serious in correcting him turn some corrections into fun and shower him with love.This is a child that needs creative parenting styles.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by zolapower: 7:44am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Do that as fast as possible, bf u lose him to tug life . I once had a course mate who brothers son behaved like that. He and is sister will go as far as calling the police that their parents abandon them at home . But after the father took him to nija on one of their holiday he ( Father) left him in nija. But he would continue with the same attitude like getting other play mates injured both in school and at home . But my course said they beat the living day light our of him and he will be screaming " I'm going to call you the police " but today this young boy is the best of the best .
You will live in constant fear if you don't do he needful ,if u dont send him home to get corrected .
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Rollins777(m): 7:45am On Aug 21, 2019
Take him to a boarding school.

jess2019:

Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Truthsbitter: 7:46am On Aug 21, 2019
A very brilliant temperament..
probably a mixture of sanguine, melancholy and maybe a little bit of choleric too.

All 3 have their good traits but let me just explain according to your complaints.

sanguine should make him very playful and forgetful but mostly happy. The right approach is punishment (like TV ban for a period of time) and constant correction.

melancholy should make him always very thoughtful (like steering at the ceiling for hours lost in his own thoughts .....Ability of a natural genius and inventor) but it could make him also resentful if he becomes depressed. The right approach is gentle talk and understanding, becoming a friend and a lover to him.

choleric you should make him relentless wanting to live his thoughts physically (The more he faces hard challenges the stronger he wants to achieve his dreams). if he truly has a choleric nature in him, the right approach to control him his to reward good character and achievements e.g He would step up his learning habit so he could take up the first position in class. He would step up his neatness if gifts were awarded once in a while for neatness ....these are just examples.

lastly : The rod should not be entirely spared (very important oo)
you could get books on temperament to help you understand yourself and also to understand him better...e.g "why you act the way you do by Tim lahaye"

good luck jess2019.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by brownsoldier(m): 7:48am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Ask him or watch to see if he thinks a lot. I was the same way, mum even tried taking me for deliverance. I just was a big thinker and consequently had another world going on in my head. But I turned out pretty fine. He will be ok smiley
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Olatimide(m): 7:50am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

Check out this channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/CreatingChampionslif

They deal with handling kids
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Stillthebest: 7:55am On Aug 21, 2019
kiss

This is exactly how my cousin started. It is mostly called lackadaisical attitude. That's exactly the trait. Nothing is wrong with him medically. It is mostly as a result of over pampering from toddler stage.

My parents would say you don't do everything for a child. Most times, they can climb that stair case, but because they know if they don't, you will carry them they will refuse to take that step. It DeGeneres to a level of uncontrollable.

My cousin while in the university, his friends said it was worst that he won't read and his CGPA dropped to 1.7 even as a brilliant kid that he is. Thank God he decided that the course was not for him and changed a course of study.. he would take a spoon inside a pot of soup and put it in his mouth even in the presence of anybody.

It is so worst. Yet nothing is wrong with him medically. He would stay indoors for as long as he could deep in thought about virtually nothing even when the parents are well to do...yet nothing is wrong with him medically.

It is a serious issue so to say, ppl might think it is not. Today he's graduated, and had left about 6 Jobs in Lagos giving one excuse or the other. At almost 40, all ladies kept leaving him cus of his weak attitude to life even as brilliant as he is.... He is chartered in accounting as of today!

Advice to the madam: Pls start intensify on your correctional approach, don't do most thing for him again and on every given opportunity try to correct him. Only beat him when he is not expecting it.

Then inculcate an attitude of strict discipline that would make him know that you are disciplined but don't let him see you as being wicked. I would advise that possibly relocate him to Nigeria to make the effort worth it.

Nigeria can't afford another Abdulmutalab again...because your effort will make him think all sorts.
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by PennywysCares(m): 7:55am On Aug 21, 2019
jess2019:

mom of the 21st century grin
I was thinking it's something serious
Re: I'm Worried About My Son's Behaviour. Is He Normal? by Somefun30: 8:00am On Aug 21, 2019
U have one of the best child in the,support more doing what he likes "play I guess, any kind of play, then studying we be like playing too to him

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Online Users Criticise Couple's Maternity Shoot (photos) / 'my Husband Rented A Flat For Our Maid' - Wife / My Marriage On The Brink Of Crashing, Experienced People Needed Now.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.