Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,846 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion (14202 Views)

Sad, We’ve Lost Brave Men,’ Buhari Grieves Over Soldiers Killed In Niger / Killer Herdsmen Write Ogun Communities Over Planned Attack / Samuel Uche: Army Queries Methodist Prelate Over Soldiers' Involvement In Kidnap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by BlackLaw: 11:44pm On Aug 19, 2019
budaatum:

I was not led by the headline David. I read the entire op, clicked on the link and did a search too, and still found nothing about this judgement apart from the initial case lodged way back in 2011 and the garnish order against CBN, and all because it seemed absurd to garnish CBN without a judgement against the liable FG.
The moral lessons here are that we shouldn't dabble into things we do not fully understand and it wouldn't kill anyone to do some research.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by budaatum: 11:48pm On Aug 19, 2019
BlackLaw:

The moral lessons here are that we shouldn't dabble into things we do not fully understand and it wouldn't kill anyone to do some research.
Sounds like a recipe for remaining ignorant to me.

I still have not found anything on the judgement against the FG despite all my research and would be grateful if you are willing to help.
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by zomoears(m): 12:01am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

I'm assuming a judgement must go against the "direct" before garnishment GT bank applies. I've seen no judgement against the FG here.

Judgement had been procured against the FG some years to the tune of N41 bn. An out of court agreement of N8bn was entered into with the parties and FG. However govt failed to fulfil it's end despite assurances by GEJ.

This is only an enforcement of the consent judgement, having registered the agreement with the FG in court. CBN is the FG's bank, so they have been oerdered to release the funds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by zomoears(m): 12:03am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

I still have not found anything on the judgement against the FG despite all my research and would be grateful if you are willing to help.

Google Benue Development Movement Vs FG.

The then AGF Mike Aondoakaa was accused of meddling.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by BlackLaw: 12:08am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

thats much better, its so much easier when you ask politely.
The first judgment was delivered by a fhc sitting in Enugu sometime in July 2007 and at a ca sitting in Enugu, damages were allowed against fg as delivered on the 2nd of February 2015.
I'm being intentionally vague..If you need further explanations, do the research or get a lawyer!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by budaatum: 12:24am On Aug 20, 2019
zomoears:

Google Benue Development Movement Vs FG.

The then AGF Mike Aondoakaa was accused of meddling.
Still nothing. And I'm beginning to be amused at how little info there is on this case. Surely if a court passed judgement it ought to be published somewhere much easier to get hold of than all this.
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by budaatum: 12:24am On Aug 20, 2019
BlackLaw:

thats much better, its so much easier when you ask politely.
The first judgment was delivered by a fhc sitting in Enugu sometime in July 2007 and at a ca sitting in Enugu, damages were allowed against fg as delivered on the 2nd of February 2015.
I'm being intentionally vague..If you need further explanations, do the research or get a lawyer!
Don't patronise me Blacklaw. I don't take kindly to it!
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by zomoears(m): 1:06am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

Still nothing. And I'm beginning to be amused at how little info there is on this case. Surely if a court passed judgement it ought to be published somewhere much easier to get hold of than all this.

This reporter has summarised it.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/08/updated-why-court-ordered-cbn-to-pay-benue-communities-n8bn/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by zomoears(m): 1:12am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

It's well within your rights to have a thick skull. It is also within your rights to seek knowledge and be enlightened.

Choice is yours.
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by budaatum: 1:22am On Aug 20, 2019
zomoears:

It's well within your rights to have a thick skull. It is also within your rights to seek knowledge and be enlightened.

Choice is yours.
Now, that is indeed much better, and I'll ignore your opinion about the thickness of my skull. If you noticed, I "thought" in my initial comment. And only now has concrete evidence surfaced.

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by zomoears(m): 1:27am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

Now, that is indeed much better, and I'll ignore your opinion about the thickness of my skull. If you noticed, I "thought" in my initial comment. And only now has concrete evidence surfaced.

Seek knowledge with an open mind, ye shall find.

Peace out.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by budaatum: 1:35am On Aug 20, 2019
zomoears:

Seek knowledge with an open mind, ye shall find.

Peace out.
I always do. Found a similar judgement from 2012.

The Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, has been ordered by a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, to pay about N1.112 billion judgment debt owed by the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, NAMA and Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, NCAA, to a firm, Hydro Air (PTY) Limited.
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by kingdavid09: 6:36am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:
I don't think this is correct! It is the Federal Government who could possibly be liable here and not the Central Bank.

In fact what nonsense judgement is this! Did this judge go to school at all?
This is garnishee proceeding,the find of the Federal government in the custody of CBN is being garnished

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

No! It like you suing my bank for me slapping you. I'm sure my bank will tell you to fuq off, and if my bank does pay you I'd sue my bank and likely win.

The order goes to the FG who could likely be liable here, and not to the FGs banker who has no responsibility for what the FG does!

They are suing your BANK ACCOUNT not your bank.

Stop sounding funny. Sometimes when corrected, it's better to keep quiet. You can't win every argument.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by budaatum: 8:32am On Aug 20, 2019
Naughtysite:

They are suing your BANK ACCOUNT not your bank.

Stop sounding funny. Sometimes when corrected, it's better to keep quiet. You can't win every argument.
I guess you expect my bank account to get a lawyer and defend itself?
zomoears:

This reporter has summarised it.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/08/updated-why-court-ordered-cbn-to-pay-benue-communities-n8bn/
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by DJInfluence: 8:46am On Aug 20, 2019
i no understand this judgement. Army destroy communities and CBN to pay for damages? No be Army or federal Govt dem supposed charge to court? Wetin concern CBN? Abeg person wey sabi book explain this judgement to me.
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by feeloscar(m): 8:57am On Aug 20, 2019
budaatum:

That's what I thought and have been saying. There might be a judgement, but I have not myself seen one.

Can a garnish judgement be passed against CBN without a judgement against the FG?
I'm not a Lawyer, but know that a Garnishee comes after a judgment has been passed.That you have not seen any judgment does not mean one does not exist.
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by feeloscar(m): 9:06am On Aug 20, 2019
DJInfluence:
i no understand this judgement. Army destroy communities and CBN to pay for damages? No be Army or federal Govt dem supposed charge to court? Wetin concern CBN? Abeg person wey sabi book explain this judgement to me.
Federal Govt been don loose de case tay tay.De Court been don say make Govt pay compensation but dem no gree pay na why the communities go court again so that them go force govt to pay.As govt no the keep money for office or house, na im banker(CBN) them go order to pay the money,shikena.
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by Willybos(m): 9:16am On Aug 20, 2019
muykem:
You are the one that lacks understanding. CBN is the banker to FG so garnish order will go to them.
Ahahahaha cheesy
muykem:
You are the one that lacks understanding. CBN is the banker to FG so garnish order will go to them.
Ahahahaha
Re: Court Orders CBN To Pay N8bn Damages To Benue Communities Over Soldiers Invasion by DavidEsq(m): 9:52am On Aug 20, 2019
cckalima:
it's the Dynamics of law. A judge refuse to grant one that will be paid directly to the plaintiff but later did after a long while. The courts have always speculated that's why no presidential election and some high profile cases judgement will ever go the way it should especially as the consequence of the judgment out weighs it's merit.
Should i take this with a pinch of salt or just say the lawyer didn't really know wat best to do for his client. I have a matter where the losing party grin appeared and asked for a stay. I opposed the stay but in the alternative i asked for a conditional stay, should the stay be granted. I even went ahead to specify the nature of the conditional stay and the court granted it. The losing party grin was furious and only able to comply in part with the conditional stay. Since he partly complied, that is no compliance, i had to apply for an enforcement of the judgement and the judge booked an audience with me to satisfy him on why i am entitled to an enforcement. I leave the rest to your imagination grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lagos Fire Service Battling Diesel Spillage At Iyana Ipaja / Taraba APC Suspends Governorship Candidate, Bwacha, For Anti-Party Activities / Saraki Fires Back At Tinubu Over Budget Padding Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.