Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,317 members, 7,780,772 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:46 PM

Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? (4386 Views)

Fashion School Practicals......enjoy The Pics (from Valisimo Fashion School) / Any School Or University That Offers Fashion Designing In Nigeria? / Fashion School In Abuja And Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Oct 22, 2010
please which is better for an aspiring fashion designer?training under what you would refer to as roadside tailor who is very good or going to a regular fashion school? pls i really need good adviser on this one. i have been making inquiries and plan to start soon. But it seems that the regular fashion school are a bit costly , i only have a little job which is not paying much now? pls i need sincere advise. should i brave it and go for a regular fashiopn school or will a roadside designer do. pls comments are needed
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by thaira(f): 2:17pm On Oct 26, 2010
If you pick the right road side designer, it should suffice till you can afford to go to fashion school.
Just make the right bargain with the person so that you actually get lessons and not that you will be expected to "stare along".

1 Like

Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by maedan(f): 7:09pm On Oct 26, 2010
I think you really should try a proper fashion school, do a lot of asking around, I'm sure they are not all as costly as you think. These road-side tailors, can they really teach? Besides, there's a limit to what you can learn. In any case, for the basics, you can try the road-side designers. When you can afford it, then you can go to those fashion schools.
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by layindek(f): 4:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
Learning is the thing of the mind, you can get your trainning anywhere and become whatever you want as long as you are focused.As for me i learnt from a road side designer and bet it there is nothing i cant sew.You get the pratical skill better on the roadside and get theory from school.As for me i think u see how its done and do it as well.If you want i can give u a littl. knowledge about female wears.you can reach me on my email if you want.(kofolayinde@yahoo.com)
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by thaira(f): 2:23pm On Oct 29, 2010
@Layindek, do you have a blog or maybe nairaland will do. I'm thinking we could make a way of sharing ideas. I sow too but not often (I work full-time) and not too well (as a result ). What do you think?
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by shadrach77: 12:15pm On Nov 08, 2010
it's a general knowledge that roadside tailors are better - fashion design colleges are just glorified tailoring outfits
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by Eddysco: 12:28pm On Nov 08, 2010
A good roadside tailor would do for the basics. But you must make sure the person is good, curent and innovative. You should also ensure that the person will be willing to explain things to you not and not "look" and "learn.

U can always go to a proper fashion school when you are more comfortable, and you will see that the basic knowledge you have aready aquired will enable you understand what you will be taught.

1 Like

Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by Solozzo(m): 12:45pm On Nov 08, 2010
thaira:

If you pick the right road side designer, it should suffice till you can afford to go to fashion school.
Just make the right bargain with the person so that you actually get lessons and not that you will be expected to "stare along".

Better to go to the fashion school first, then attend the roadside fashion designer to obtain practical experience/ The fashion school will give you basic theoretical knowledge then you can reinforce the practical skills through the roadside designer

Best wishes
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 08, 2010
as an engineer - i will say that what happens when you learn from technicains is rote learning - you will know the how, but not the why
you will learn it is done like this because that is how we have been doing it

the moment you face a challenge that is slightly out of the norm, you are done, because you never understood in the first place

a classic example is wiring a house.

houses are traditionally wired with 1.5mm cable . however, i can decide to use 2.5mm cable based on my design - perhaps i have some high energy light fittings - as an engineer, i have calculated and understad that 2.5mm cable should be used - but you ca n be sure the technician will argue with me - no use 1.5 . ask him why - 1.5 is what we have always been using.

that is the risk of roadside training

2 Likes

Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by oludashmi(f): 2:22pm On Nov 08, 2010
What matters most is your interest and sense of creativity. This will stand you out irrespective of where you learnt it . . .most fashion house owners learnt it at the road side but were able to professionalise theirs . . essence of formal education!

@meadan, how ve you been, its been a long long time, what about your NL toaster (rotimi)? cool
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by Ikwikwikwi(m): 3:11pm On Nov 08, 2010
which food is sweeter, mama put (Buka) or five start delicacy
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by terrygoddy: 3:29pm On Nov 08, 2010
@poster
pls contact any good road side designer where you learn the real tricks,not some glorified-paper cutting-grammar blowing-drawing school called fashion school.I experienced it some years ago when my youngest brother shown interest in fashion.

1 Like

Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by rafmike(m): 4:01pm On Nov 08, 2010
Education is de best legacy, I prefer fashion school,
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by justwonder: 7:52pm On Nov 08, 2010
my mum is a fashion designer(roadside tailor),she taught herself and has taught many others and she has gone to places like paris amd milan based on her talent.I am an engineer so i understand the importance of theory,but when it comes to sewing it is more arts than theory and you will be better off learning from a GOOD artist one-on-one than from those that know theory with little skills.

With a roadside tailor you will learn the basics plus the 'extra' that is reguired for money making.If you are good you are good!!! BTW there are self taught electricians that can teach me a thing or too(class theory can never beat on the job experience) embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by miraexcel(f): 9:06pm On Nov 08, 2010
Try Miraexcel @ Plot 11/13 Christoper Obi Close Victory Estate Ajah or H107 Ikota shopping Complex
017344049 07033582485 . We've teachers from Ghana, Ivory Coast etc. You'll be glad you learnt from us!
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by boladot: 12:17pm On Nov 09, 2010
can someone recommend a good fashion school on the mainland?
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by maedan(f): 9:15pm On Nov 12, 2010
oludashmi:

What matters most is your interest and sense of creativity. This will stand you out irrespective of where you learnt it . . .most fashion house owners learnt it at the road side but were able to professionalise theirs . . essence of formal education!

@meadan, how ve you been, its been a long long time, what about your NL toaster (rotimi)? cool

Lol, everything was for the fun of it ooh, but I'm sure he's OK grin.
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by Omolulu(m): 9:18pm On Nov 12, 2010
Roadside designer!
Re: Fashion School Or Road Side Designer? by maedan(f): 9:22pm On Nov 12, 2010
Lol, it seems everyone feels fashion "schools" are only about theories and talk talk. I'm sure they do the practicals and the basics. Well it depends on your goals and your target market. If you want to deal in the real fashion industry on all levels, try and do the fashion school thing. But if you just want to get sewing and making money from customers day-to-day, learn through the road-side tailors. Which ever suits your situation. None is better than the other, it just depends.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Grow And Take Care Of Ur Beard / (PHOTOS) The Plus Size Model Who Holds The Record For World’s Largest Hips / Why Do Women Wear Ankle Chains...?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.