Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,430 members, 7,781,247 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:17 AM

Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption (23259 Views)

Cost Of Electricity Consumption In Nigeria Cheapest In The World – FG / 9 Ways To Save Your Electricity Consumption by NERC / Do Not Pay For Electricity After 2 Weeks – NERC Announces New Regulations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by bentwood85(m): 10:53am On Aug 22, 2019
Naijafull19:
Inasmuch as people would shout 'We are poor'...here are some hard facts

1.We need to generate power above 40000MW

2.We also need to fix transmission systems

3.All these will cost trillions of naira.

4.And the way forward is by allowing DISCOS to set the price they want to set (yes, government should stop setting prcies).

Back in 2001...GSM came to Nigeria, with outrageous prices. We all complained. And the service was initailly poor. But thanks to the freedom affroded them to do their business they could raise funds to build from scratch the telephone and internet service we have today. All those GSM infrastructure you see is the result of allowing GSM companies freedom to set their prices.

If we keep on shortchanging the power sector....we will never see 24/7 light. Power companies cannot attract investment. They cannot even take loans from banks because the banks know they won't see their money....because the DISCOS aren't making enough profit to fund their operations, talkess of paying back a loan.

You are free to insult me, call me insensitive. But if I was in power and I forced you as a rice salesman or woman to sell rice at N7000 below the price you bought it....because of the masses...won't you go broke in a few years? Won't you sack your workers in a few years??

Let's stop acting like Communists. We don't have enough cash to run a Communist economy. If you want a communist economy, form a Marxist-Lenninist party, and implement your own state controlled prices...but the sad thing is that capitalism works. It hurts people, but it also benefits more people. Let's run power like a capitalist enterprise.

That's your opinion bro... Are you aware that millions of Nigerians pay for electricity that they don't use.
My personal experience : From December 04 2018, the whole town were I reside was disconnected from power supply, it was later restored in April 13 2019. There was no bill throughout this period of darkness, immediately power was restored, we got our PHCN bill..
I was been charged for the 4month of darkness.my bill was about N33k(I ensure i pay my phcn bill to 0k).The main problem killing the power sector is corruption, it should be addressed before any other thing.
Where I reside in Lagos, we paid for transformers, concrete poles, aluminum cables, infact the landlord had to raise funds to electrify the town, believe me Nigerians are doing their best.
Every new power minister wants to increase the price of power consumption, and yet they can't address the root cause of power failure in the power sector.

Even DISCO are not ready to improve on the power transmission.There is corruption everywhere. In the FCT for example major cities like maitama, Garki, asokoro, Wuse, gwarinpa can boast of almost 24hours power supply, then areas like Bwari, nyanya, karu, jikwoyi, Gwagwalada power supply is always rationed, infant some use power supply for 15days in a month and may be 12-15 hours or less a day.. And are billed at the same rate.. Bros have we not be patient enough?
Until corruption is wiped out from the power sector if they like they can increase power consumption N1m/kwh ....i repeat we would continue remain stagnant in power sector...

The dry season is approaching gradually the water level would be down and since we operate majorly on hydro power generation the power supply would be down... And DISCO/PHCN would still bill NIGERIANS crazilly..

AN INSTANCE OF CORRUPTION.
It is an established fact that the Obasanjo administration spent about $12billon dollars(not naira) to build more power stations and improve electricity supply, yet many contractors(including government officials) collected money and never visited the site.. What happened to the contractors and were is the money?..
The FG should remove it interest completely from the power sector and hand it over to the private sector.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by kennyhai(m): 10:54am On Aug 22, 2019
Is buhari government yahoo boys?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by Reference(m): 10:56am On Aug 22, 2019
Jaqenhghar:
For electricity they dont get
[img]https://media1./images/5e8064f5b3227aaf850e34ccd6e87313/tenor.gif?itemid=4869652[/img]

Please don't laugh at yourself. Power is an ultra long term, intensive investment sector that has as its core a need to prove there exists a market. Right now a viable market does not exist in Nigeria. Nigeria needs to prove it can afford electricity.

To the lay man, if Aunty Chichi is to invest in the Isi-Ewu business she needs to understand that she not only needs an abundant supply of affordable, well endowed and cerebral goats but more importantly in the Nigeria of today she has to ensure that her joint is at thè crossroads of the lazy, dilinquent customer who has a lot of free money to burn. Such, she will not locate her joint near where the folks either cannot afford it or are too busy to indulge. If she insists she will go bankrupt.

Power us a little bit more serious than that. Power infrastructure is prohibitively expensive. There are no bricks and mortar elements here. Everything about power is about metals, fuels and semiconductor integrated circuits. Metals are just crazy in the Nigerian market right now, fuels are no longer produced in Nigeria no thanks to our moribund refineries, gas investment is shrinking no thanks to tupsy-turvy government policies and electronics are very expensive despite China due to the value of the naira.
P
You go through all that and at the end the Nigerian customer aka Mr. Common Man says he won't pay....hmmm. I think the problem Nigerians have is that they see far too many personal generating sets and think the goat in their backyard equates to a tasty pot of IIsi-ewu....
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by willoski(m): 10:58am On Aug 22, 2019
Why not distribute prepaid meter to every customer before telling us this. This people are bent in suffering the masses at every point in time. If you have distributed the meter we will know how to manage the power we get from you

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by FarahAideed: 11:00am On Aug 22, 2019
tosodus:
Already increased in some areas and since then our lights has not blinked
We sometimes even have to put off the freezers.

Shut up you are a big liar

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by 1x2x3: 11:02am On Aug 22, 2019
The price will be the same for Poor Buhari supporters and the rest. wink.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by nonjebose(m): 11:04am On Aug 22, 2019
Very good development. The new tarriff would not discriminate along party or ethnic lines. We are all in this together.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by Pennywise(m): 11:06am On Aug 22, 2019
Most Nigerians are not paying bills

The few ones that are paying are being strangulated by high tariff. The result is a higher default rate and more illegal connections.

The Discos either do not have sufficient personnel to ensure payment or the workers are too lazy to do their job

The Federal Govt primed all Discos to fail by making ridiculous laws that encourage citizens not to pay bills, laws that were not promulgated when the Govt ran PHCN.

We have serious problems that goes beyond increasing power generation and buying new transformers. Inadequate laws and law enforcement are also at the root of our problems.

Fashola on account of training and background is supposed to be well equipped for the job. But so far he has failed to inspire confidence

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by Injiggerwolf(m): 11:08am On Aug 22, 2019
krattoss:
Electricity isn't cheap anywhere in the world.

The problem is will they deliver after the payment?

I'm afraid...you're flawed with that assertion..

Countries like Germany, Japan, Ireland, Canada pay little or no Electricity bill

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by Innomach(m): 11:12am On Aug 22, 2019
That's not the truth. Didn't Nigerians pay more to communication companies from inception and still paying till now? The truth is that the government will force us to pay more and the service won't still be provided and there's nothing anybody can do about it.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by fashrola(m): 11:12am On Aug 22, 2019
krattoss:

we know it aint cheap....

Provide 24/7 Electricity and charge us more... Is that too much to ask?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by sylve11: 11:15am On Aug 22, 2019
Freeko4:

Bros, the one u dey pay since dem Don deliver, dis government is out to milk the masses dry

the previous government didn't do any better. angry cool
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by lekonso: 11:17am On Aug 22, 2019
Naijafull19:

4.And the way forward is by allowing DISCOS to set the price they want to set (yes, government should stop setting prcies).

Back in 2001...GSM came to Nigeria, with outrageous prices. We all complained. And the service was initailly poor. But thanks to the freedom affroded them to do their business they could raise funds to build from scratch the telephone and internet service we have today. All those GSM infrastructure you see is the result of allowing GSM companies freedom to set their prices.

If we keep on shortchanging the power sector....we will never see 24/7 light. Power companies cannot attract investment. They cannot even take loans from banks because the banks know they won't see their money....because the DISCOS aren't making enough profit to fund their operations, talkess of paying back a loan.

You are free to insult me, call me insensitive. But if I was in power and I forced you as a rice salesman or woman to sell rice at N7000 below the price you bought it....because of the masses...won't you go broke in a few years? Won't you sack your workers in a few years??

Let's stop acting like Communists. We don't have enough cash to run a Communist economy. If you want a communist economy, form a Marxist-Lenninist party, and implement your own state controlled prices...but the sad thing is that capitalism works. It hurts people, but it also benefits more people. Let's run power like a capitalist enterprise.
But mind you there are no meters to ensure that consumers are not being cheated.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 22, 2019
willoski:
Why not distribute prepaid meter to every customer before telling us this. This people are bent in suffering the masses at every point in time. If you have distributed the meter we will know how to manage the power we get from you

Prepaid meters are now available in Lagos for 38k I think. Don't know about other states though. For eko disco, you'll have to clear all your outstanding. For Ikeja Disco, 50% of what you recharge on it will be getting deducted until you balance your outstanding.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by obailala(m): 11:22am On Aug 22, 2019
toolovely:

Comparing GSM and power is a very poor analogy.
GSM has many operators which made the market competitive. Each had options of fixing their own prices thereby attracting customers.
But power has no such thing.
In South East for example, who's competing with eedc? They have the sole right to distribute power there. They can choose to distribute or not and you will still pay. You can give a company monopoly and expect same company to reduce price.
And what happens to the billions of dollars that have been spent in the past for power generation?
But this problem of monopoly is the reason the govt has to step in through NERC to regulate the prices. The DISCOs have been lamenting that low cost of power is the reason they aren't able to raise enough revenue to improve their services; if the DISCOs were left too fix prices, Nigerians would by now have been paying thrice the current cost.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by ollah2: 11:24am On Aug 22, 2019
Naijafull19:

That's the truth.

But the problem with Nigerians is that they want things cheap....even if it isn't sustainable.

The problems with Nigeria? You must be stvpid to have writen this, you don't expect Nigerians not to want soemthing cheap when they are paid cheap. How much is minimum wage? How much do employers pay average employees?

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by bilulu(m): 11:27am On Aug 22, 2019
krattoss:

the question is, have they ever delivered after series of increment?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by hush15: 11:28am On Aug 22, 2019
COMPAQ:

Well unfortunately almost 100% of the equipment needed to generate electricity comes from abroad, so forex affects the final price. Like it or not, that is the unfortunate reality. And electricity is quite expensive anywhere.

dont be decieved, most electric equipments dont come from abroad o. Maybe you dont know, there are companies who build transformers or make cables locally, even the poles and now, meters... we just refuse to patronise them. The reasons why power is expensive is because of the government bureaucracy the surround it. government generates it. sell it to the another arms of government that transmits it. Then the distributors then now buys it. then consumers now pays for it and at each level, everybody wan make money. and just as consumers buys everything themselves then pay discos for what they should have provided, is the same way up. gencos and transcos are just chopping government allocation to improve and sustain affordable power and over billing discos for continuity. Why wont the tariff be high?

Then overheads again... the cost of keep the company alive is more than the cost of generating and providing the product it self cos everything is overbloated.

let them meter everyone and they should focus on maintaining infrastructure, you would realize that its really not that expensive. I recall when one of our armoured cable from the pole to the transformer was breaking, they just kept using it like that whereas they fit don collect cable from storeroom at the office or allocation for it and use am for another thing but kept repairing the old cable. eventually, they had to rob peter to paul.

Make the process transperant and you will see how the exhorbitantly high charges will come down...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 22, 2019
Port Harcourt PHED is not in the list. Why?
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by JobsandSchools: 11:34am On Aug 22, 2019
This administration ehn

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by upuphim(m): 11:34am On Aug 22, 2019
If they like, let them double it, provided there is prepaid meters. Even with the proposed increase, I will still not use up to N10,000 energy per month whereas I was billed N17,000 last year before I got prepaid meter. So nobody with prepaid meter should panic.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by obailala(m): 11:37am On Aug 22, 2019
1x2x3:
The price will be the same for Poor Buhari supporters and the rest. wink.
This price increase was already agreed and instituted far back as 2013/2014 when the power companies were unbundled and that was before PMB became president. During the privatisation, DISCOs proposed a very high price but the agreement with govt was that the price increase would be implemented in phases through the years; first phase was for 2015, second phase 2019, and Nigerians should brace up for more rounds of tariff increase cos the DISCOs are still agitating for what they term "cost-reflective electricity tariff". Except you want Bubu to cancel the agreement signed or reverse the privatisation deal (with severe legal consequences), there's not much he has to do with this.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by 1shortblackboy: 11:38am On Aug 22, 2019
Next level

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by lilytender: 11:42am On Aug 22, 2019
Chizuru01:
I told my foolish nairaland friends that supports APC that this government does not care about the hardship of nigerians but his foolishness will never let him see it

This multi-year tariff was agreed and signed by Obasanjo. But I blame this administration for implementing it Do small google search before coming online to display mumuness.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by einsteino(m): 11:43am On Aug 22, 2019
krattoss:

well, considering what the minimum wage is in Canada, I think electricity is much more affordable to Canadians than it is in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by mmsen: 11:50am On Aug 22, 2019
These DISCOs are as stupid as NITEL was 20 years ago. They provide terrible service but want to charge even more.

They don't see that people are buying solar panels all over the place.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by ThothHermes: 11:53am On Aug 22, 2019
Naijafull19:

BS

Are the power companies currently running at a loss?
Or are you just parroting something you heard from another ignoramus like you?

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by mmsen: 11:53am On Aug 22, 2019
Injiggerwolf:

I'm afraid...you're flawed with that assertion..

Countries like Germany, Japan, Ireland, Canada pay little or no Electricity bill

That is a lie.

Electricity is more expensive in Germany than France.

And it isn't cheap in Canada despite their natural resources.

I don't know where you people hear this nonsense that you spread on this site.
Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by philos(m): 11:54am On Aug 22, 2019
Naijafull19:

We have more than enough money to run a Communist economy in this country.
Do you know how much money, running into trillions, that are looted in this country? It is enough to make every citizen have every social amenity, and live comfortably. These are facilities that are already taken for granted, even in some West African countries. But here, they are considered luxurious, scarce commodities, that are supposed to be rationed among citizens.
This country is still extremely far from the much desired light at the end of the tunnel. Take it, or leave it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay More For Electricity Consumption by seyigiggle: 11:55am On Aug 22, 2019
Please don't mislead people.
check NERC website.
Tariff is supposed to reduce by now. they have price projection which declines after each year.

wirinet:

This isn't about about APC, periodic increase in tariff was built into the privatisation agreement of the power sector by the Jonathan administration. If the agreement was followed in toto, we would be paying double of what we are paying now.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Soludo Begins Construction Of Amansea, Awka – Ufuma Road In Anambra (pictures). / Amos Itihwe Frying Garri In Delta State (Photos) / Why Sowore Deserves To Be Forgiven By Goodluck Jonathan Supporters – FFK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.