Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... (11349 Views)

How Can I Land My First Programing Job With No Job Exp / Question About Upwork Accounts. / WEBINAR: How To Get Started On Upwork And Tips To Land Your First Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 12:11pm On Aug 22, 2019
Guys how are you guys getting job on upwork or fiverr abeg?

I have bidded tire no feedback nothing for the past two months. Abeg any secret to get job upwork ?

3 Likes

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 1:18pm On Aug 22, 2019
you should thank your goodness that you got approved in upwork.

3 Likes

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 22, 2019
wamiikechukwu:
you should thank your goodness that you got approved in upwork.
really? It was not a struggle for me. I was approved that same day I apply last year.
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by spyglaxx: 6:09pm On Aug 25, 2019
dayo2me:
really? It was not a struggle for me. I was approved that same day I apply last year.

Go for three days night vigil. With psalm 20.

1 Like

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 1:40am On Aug 26, 2019
spyglaxx:

Go for three days night vigil. With psalm 20.
okay pastor, in ur church ?
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by spyglaxx: 4:42am On Aug 26, 2019
dayo2me:
okay pastor, in ur church ?
In your bedroom
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Cactus(m): 3:26pm On Aug 26, 2019
I am also on upwork and I have made bids on projects but never got to interview stage. It is extremely competitive. I have previously sought for services on upwork. When I post projects, I seek experienced, high rated, service providers to work on the project. I shy away from new comers as they do not have reputation which does not mean they cant deliver a great service. It is all about perception. Unfortunately some of those that worked on my project where not great even though they have great reviews. I could have done the project myself with better outcome but based on the amount of work I had at hand at the time I pushed it out.

So with my experience as a client, I decided to be a service provider as I could do better than what I was receiving. After signing up a couple months ago, till date, I have not gotten a project. I believe some reasons could be as I described above, no rating on upwork = avoid service provider.

What some service providers end up doing is asking friends to post projects probably on projects less than 500 usd which they will bid on and win, so their money is basically coming back to them with upwork deductions. So they get high ratings, great comments and after a couple of these, they become established and no longer new service providers.

I guess you can figure out the remaining part of the process.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Emmaxy9(m): 3:29pm On Aug 27, 2019
It's all about your proposals, you need to work on your proposals .

Learn to create killer strategies in your proposals

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 29, 2019
Cactus:
I am also on upwork and I have made bids on projects but never got to interview stage. It is extremely competitive. I have previously sought for services on upwork. When I post projects, I seek experienced, high rated, service providers to work on the project. I shy away from new comers as they do not have reputation which does not mean they cant deliver a great service. It is all about perception. Unfortunately some of those that worked on my project where not great even though they have great reviews. I could have done the project myself with better outcome but based on the amount of work I had at hand at the time I pushed it out.

So with my experience as a client, I decided to be a service provider as I could do better than what I was receiving. After signing up a couple months ago, till date, I have not gotten a project. I believe some reasons could be as I described above, no rating on upwork = avoid service provider.

What some service providers end up doing is asking friends to post projects probably on projects less than 500 usd which they will bid on and win, so their money is basically coming back to them with upwork deductions. So they get high ratings, great comments and after a couple of these, they become established and no longer new service providers.

I guess you can figure out the remaining part of the process.
I can get the scope. So, to get reviews I have to be client to my self and give good review to my project. But how is that possible?

1 Like

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 5:31am On Aug 29, 2019
Emmaxy9:
It's all about your proposals, you need to work on your proposals .

Learn to create killer strategies in your proposals
I think I can say my proposals are topnotch it could be as a result of no review on my profile yet.
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Codedboy95(m): 4:57pm On Aug 29, 2019
dayo2me:
Guys how are you guys getting job on upwork or fiverr abeg?

I have bidded tire no feedback nothing for the past two months. Abeg any secret to get job upwork ?

Getting first job on upwork is not always easy.

These might be some of the Reason, you don't make it to interview.

1) You are probably applying to big jobs: as a new freelancer on upwork start by applying to smaller, quick jobs ( $5 ,$10, $15 ). The reason because nobody will trust a new freelancer with little or no review on a big job over freelancers who have a lot of reviews, feedbacks. So start with small jobs, reduce your hourly rates as time goes on you can gradually increase your hourly rate and also apply to bigger Jobs

2) You haven't added portfolio, relevant skills or your bio isn't well written: you should take hints from other freelancers in your niche to make your profile, add relevant skills and also take upwork readiness test ( to get a rising talent badge which will increase your chances of getting a job)

3) You are probably applying to jobs which have a lot of applicants: I always advice new freelancers starting up on upwork to only apply to jobs which have less 10 applicants. It's a complete waste of time applying to a job with 20 or more applicants, chances of getting the job will be very low. Free tip smiley always be the first 5 to apply to jobs and for me most of the jobs I have gotten is when the indians are asleep (midnight cheesy )

4) Client is already interviewing someone on the job you applied to: This is another tip don't apply to jobs that shows that the client is already interviewing someone, in my experience with upwork I will say that there is a 70% chance that a client will hire someone s/he is already interviewing. So applying to such jobs is a complete waste of time.

5) Applying to jobs which the client has a low hire rate: this is another thing to look out for on upwork, some clients there just post jobs without having motive of hiring anybody. Some of them just think of an idea and create a job posting but they never come back to that job. So my advice is to always check clients hire rate before applying. For me, I apply to jobs which shows that the client has an hire rate of 40% above.

6) Applying to job that have clients with unverified payment method: Okay you can take this advice if you want to, in my years working with upwork I have never gotten a job from a client with unverified payment method, to me most of them are not serious, if they were, they will have added a payment method, don't get be wrong I didn't say it's a waste of time lol, I actually know a friend that got a job from a client who didn't add a payment method, so I am not saying it's useless applying to such jobs but for me it's useless :|

7) Your niche is too competitive or not favourable for your Nigerian Flag: example of niche which new freelancers may have difficult time succeeding at is anything that deals with writing, most clients on upwork believe Africans can't be good writers, my advice for people on this niche is get jobs offline, ask your offline client to hire and give you a good review on upwork, by the time you have 3-4 reviews your chances of getting jobs with be higher. This also applies to people on other niche, if you are having a hard time getting job do what I said above, that was how I got my first job on upwork.

I hope I will be able to help someone with this, sorry about the typos it's been long I typed this long on my phone

105 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 29, 2019
Codedboy95:

1) You are probably applying to big jobs: as a new freelancer on upwork start by applying to smaller, quick jobs ( $5 ,$10, $15 ). The reason because nobody will trust a new freelancer with little or no review on a big job over freelancers who have a lot of reviews, feedbacks. So start with small jobs, reduce your hourly rates as time goes on you can gradually increase your hourly rate and also apply to bigger Jobs

2) You haven't added portfolio, relevant skills or your bio isn't well written: you should take hints from other freelancers in your niche to make your profile, add relevant skills and also take upwork readiness test ( to get a rising talent badge which will increase your chances of getting a job)

3) You are probably applying to jobs which have a lot of applicants: I always advice new freelancers starting up on upwork to only apply to jobs which have less 10 applicants. It's a complete waste of time applying to a job with 20 or more applicants, chances of getting the job will be very low. Free tip smiley always be the first 5 to apply to jobs and for me most of the jobs I have gotten is when the indians are asleep (midnight cheesy )

4) Client is already interviewing someone on the job you applied to: This is another tip don't apply to jobs that shows that the client is already interviewing someone, in my experience with upwork I will say that there is a 70% chance that a client will hire someone s/he is already interviewing. So applying to such jobs is a complete waste of time.

5) Applying to jobs which the client has a low hire rate: this is another thing to look out for on upwork, some clients there just post jobs without having motive of hiring anybody. Some of them just think of an idea and create a job posting but they never come back to that job. So my advice is to always check clients hire rate before applying. For me, I apply to jobs which shows that the client has an hire rate of 40% above.

6) Applying to job that have clients with unverified payment method: Okay you can take this advice if you want to, in my years working with upwork I have never gotten a job from a client with unverified payment method, to me most of them are not serious, if they were, they will have added a payment method, don't get be wrong I didn't say it's a waste of time lol, I actually know a friend that got a job from a client who didn't add a payment method, so I am not saying it's useless applying to such jobs but for me it's useless :|

7) Your niche is too competitive or not favourable for your Nigerian Flag: example of niche which new freelancers may have difficult time succeeding at is anything that deals with writing, most clients on upwork believe Africans can't be good writers, my advice for people on this niche is get jobs offline, ask your offline client to hire and give you a good review on upwork, by the time you have 3-4 reviews your chances of getting jobs with be higher. This also applies to people on other niche, if you are having a hard time getting job do what I said above, that was how I got my first job on upwork.

I hope I will be able to help someone with this, sorry about the typos it's been long I typed this long on my phone

Thank you. I will look into these things you stated here, they are of good tips. what is your niche?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Codedboy95(m): 8:36pm On Aug 29, 2019
dayo2me:

Thank you. I will look into these things you stated here, they are of good tips. what is your niche?
web development

3 Likes

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 29, 2019
Codedboy95:
web development
and you are doing fine in freelancing using upwork?
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Codedboy95(m): 3:14pm On Aug 30, 2019
dayo2me:
and you are doing fine in freelancing using upwork?
yes i am doing fine
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by chinnyTF95(f): 10:28am On Apr 01, 2020
Codedboy95:

Thanks for this. Can we help ourselves with that review? Crient client profiles and get to work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Beulah20(f): 7:21pm On Oct 04, 2020
Take upwork readiness test to get upwork rising talent badge. The badge will increase your chances of getting jobs. Check here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkDtejufMv4

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Beulah20(f): 7:45pm On Nov 26, 2020

5 Likes

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by talk2hb1(m): 9:39am On Nov 27, 2020
Following...
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by lovinhubby2wife(m): 6:34am On Feb 07, 2021
Hejs
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by malawi101(m): 4:11pm On Feb 07, 2021
Codedboy95:

Kool
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Etinosa1234: 9:46pm On Feb 07, 2021
Codedboy95:

Thanks boss...

Pls is app development that competitive... And what other Jobs related to app development can I do before I get a bigger Job...

Thanks sir
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Codedboy95(m): 9:26am On Feb 08, 2021
Etinosa1234:

Thanks boss...

Pls is app development that competitive... And what other Jobs related to app development can I do before I get a bigger Job...

Thanks sir

It's competitive but not as other niche, you just need to keep applying to jobs
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by denvers: 5:30pm On Feb 08, 2021
I registered on upwork and my account got approved within a day but my challenge has been getting clients but I believe with more well detailed and appropriate applications to clients, I'll break the jinx.
It's all about the numbers...
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by benjatoba(m): 6:00pm On Feb 08, 2021
My first profile on upwork was not approved. The second profile I created was approved. Why?
1. I have done a lot of tutorials on youtube.
2. I also created links to this tutorials on linked in.
3. I specialized on a proprietory software called RADZEN that only few people know how to use. This software can be used to develop ANGULAR and BLAZOR applications.
4.I put sample videos of my tutorials as links on my upwork profile.
5.THE BIGGEST FACTOR WAS THE PLUS FACTOR CALLED THE FAVOUR OF GOD
6.The summary of my experience on upwork. When God is on your side, all you need is to meet one big client on upwork and your life will never be the same again.

19 Likes

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by qtguru(m): 8:24pm On Feb 08, 2021
denvers:
I registered on upwork and my account got approved within a day but my challenge has been getting clients but I believe with more well detailed and appropriate applications to clients, I'll break the jinx.
It's all about the numbers...

What usually works for me is that, I tend to be expressive in the proposal, talking about how to fix the issue and what is needed for the project. The I also search for popular sections of upwork where the competition is slim. e.g SalesForce like tengaztu mentioned. But selling something is more better than Upworks, you can make much more than Upworks.

5 Likes

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by lovinhubby2wife(m): 5:31pm On Feb 11, 2021
We need an official nairaland thread for upwork
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Nobody: 10:46am On Feb 12, 2021

Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Crazeworld(m): 10:54am On Feb 12, 2021
lovinhubby2wife:
We need an official nairaland thread for upwork
This is a nice suggestion. We should find a way to create one.

Cc Codedboy95 Emmaxy9
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by qtguru(m): 2:04pm On Feb 12, 2021
Crazeworld:
This is a nice suggestion. We should find a way to create one.

Cc Codedboy95 Emmaxy9
We do
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by Crazeworld(m): 9:10pm On Feb 12, 2021
qtguru:

We do
Do you mean there is an existing Upwork thread?
Re: Guys Upwork Has Not Been On Side. No Job Since.... by qtguru(m): 9:23pm On Feb 12, 2021
Crazeworld:
Do you mean there is an existing Upwork thread?
i meant we need a new one

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Made Android Apps for Android Phones / Can You Write Codes With A Tablet Instead Of A Laptop? / Fingerprint Programming In ASP.NET

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.