Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,031 members, 7,803,464 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:08 PM

Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US (91003 Views)

Three Nigerians Indicted Over $6m Fraud In US / EFCC Orders Agents To Manhunt 77 Nigerians Indicted By FBI For Fraud / Is This One Of The '80 Nigerians' Indicted For Fraud Spraying Dollars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Cregon: 1:57am On Aug 23, 2019
Igbo kwenu!!!.... Happy BIAFRA's day...

#fraudnation

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by seunfly: 1:58am On Aug 23, 2019
Chai!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by bitingcool: 1:59am On Aug 23, 2019
This is a shame

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Holla911(m): 1:59am On Aug 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Anyone caught, tried and convicted should pay for his crime! This is the main thing!

Trying to draw attention to their ethnicity is for what? If your country had provided them with opportunities to earn a decent living i doubt we would be here discussing this today! This issue of getting gov't to be accountable and work for the people is all what IPOB is about! If you have a problem with their modus-operandi then start your own movement to change things....just like Sowore tried to do before they silenced him!
You mean American didn’t provide them the opportunity to earn a decent living too angry ?
The truth is, a greedy person or group of people will never be contented no matter how much opportunity or help you render them.

118 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by xcel20001: 1:59am On Aug 23, 2019
GeekfromLasgidi:
How come they are all Igbos?
Ndi developers grin

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by KidsNEXTdoor: 2:01am On Aug 23, 2019
sreamsense:
Unbelivable, close to 99% from one region! Was Abike Dabiri right or not when she said 20 out of 21 Nigerians awaiting execution in Indonesia are from Anambra? She was speaking from facts while many were countering her based on sentiment and tribalism. Here is another proof, this is one of the reasons PayPal and many other online businesses don't want to include Nigeria in any financial dealing which is affecting many legitimate users from Nigeria. EFCC should intensify more effort locally while other countries around the world should collaborate with EFCC to flush out fraudsters and drug dealers in their midst. Nigeria, will be great again! And believe me, there is something in the east aside poverty that we are yet to understand, but pushing youngs and adults into drug and fraud related cases than other regions in the country.

Shut Up there Mr tribalistic head

These people know the consequences of their actions and will pay for it themselves...

They never blew anybody away with bombs on the promise of an imaginary virgins in after life by Allah..

They didn't cut off the head of anyone for ritual purposes as directed by a babalawo from ogun state...

When you have nothing upstairs to say... Just shut Up

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Zombiekiller010: 2:01am On Aug 23, 2019
Ogbenutan

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by chally02(m): 2:05am On Aug 23, 2019
It's so sad and very unfortunate, these fraudsters keep embarrassing us in front of the whole international community, you wouldn't know how bad this is until you travel abroad.. During my last trip to Serbia for an international conference, I almost felt like slapping a Kenya lady for bad mouthing Nigeria that we are all fraudsters in front of my friends from other countries.

This news is so sad, e just weak me , walahi...

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by SamNaijaboy: 2:09am On Aug 23, 2019
Avoid Igbo in diaspora. Learn from victims.

Not saying this to be tribalistic but a group of people who think they are smarter than you, offer you terms always worse than they can take, what do you think they will do when you meet in diaspora? Get you in trouble, somehow must leave you worse off

Holla911:

You mean American didn’t provide them the opportunity to earn a decent living too angry ?
The truth is, a greedy person or group of people will never be contented no matter how much opportunity or help you render them.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by IGBOSON1: 2:10am On Aug 23, 2019
Holla911:

If you find yourself in the US without the requisite qualifications or skills to get and hold down a job, that American dream will soon turn into a nightmare!

Though there's the element of criminality no doubt, but if these guys (that's those of them in the US, b'cos i understand some of them were operating from Nigeria) were given a good educational foundation back home and did not grow up experiencing social dislocation as is presently the case in Nigeria, as well as having good job prospects after schooling......if the aforementioned had been the case, then i doubt we would be discussing this issue today!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by cocococo: 2:11am On Aug 23, 2019
Nigerians, the most religious, but yet most crooked, people on earth.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Quorax: 2:13am On Aug 23, 2019
sreamsense:
Unbelivable, close to 99% from one region! Was Abike Dabiri right or not when she said 20 out of 21 Nigerians awaiting execution in Indonesia are from Anambra? She was speaking from facts while many were countering her based on sentiment and tribalism. Here is another proof, this is one of the reasons PayPal and many other online businesses don't want to include Nigeria in any financial dealing which is affecting many legitimate users from Nigeria. EFCC should intensify more effort locally while other countries around the world should collaborate with EFCC to flush out fraudsters and drug dealers in their midst. Nigeria, will be great again! And believe me, there is something in the east aside poverty that we are yet to understand, but pushing youngs and adults into drug and fraud related cases than other regions in the country.
You just had to rope tribalism into this. These particular guys here are a syndicate, which means they work together as team and it is not surprising to see they from one place.

What about the Yorubas that were caught at one time?

You fools will leave the cause of all these problems and focus on irrelevancies. I do not know what is wrong with you. Whether you like it or not, as long as the bastards we have as leaders will not do anything and citizens who find energy to blame IPOB for beating Ike Ekweremadu even when they did so for a good reason such as preventing what we are reading here but your people who like answering sir sir were mocking them for lack of "respect"

Yes, they are Nigerians and since you all will not do the right thing, you will continue to feel the consequences... AS A NIGERIAN.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Celepope: 2:14am On Aug 23, 2019
Taking a good look at pix very well I even know the first guy. I always suspected him.Always puffy.

I have lived in three states here in the United States for about 10 years, this is my observation about Nigerians here.An average Nigerian under the age of 40 at one point in time have involved themselves in one fraud or another. The pressure from family members back home is one of the factors that pushes these low lives into fraudulent activities. Also, the silly mentality popular amongst Nigerians here that you must build a house back home has also pushed a lot of Nigerians into crime.I always tell my pals here. Take care of yourself here first before looking at people back home because these same people back home you are trying to impress won't be there when you will be picking all kinds of soap in state pen.Some of them are very lazy to go back to school or even learn a technical trade that will take them out of their poor state.I remember when i started school here, many of my friends will laugh at me. Today, many of these guys are calling me inquiring on how they can get back to college. All thanks to the multiple weekly burst in cities like Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and New York which is now pushing them to have a rethink on their criminal way of life.Nairalanders here in the US can relate with what i am saying.

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by owolabi5: 2:16am On Aug 23, 2019
YAHOO YAHOO DON CAST O!

MAKE BOYS GO FIND LEGIT JOB DO!!

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Susu888(m): 2:17am On Aug 23, 2019
Developing the U.S since the 80's grin

48 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Asiwajuyin(m): 2:18am On Aug 23, 2019
They claimed they ain't Nigerians please address them with whom they are..... Biafuros

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Gazzy88(m): 2:18am On Aug 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Anyone caught, tried and convicted should pay for his crime! This is the main thing!

Trying to draw attention to their ethnicity is for what? If your country had provided them with opportunities to earn a decent living i doubt we would be here discussing this today! This issue of getting gov't to be accountable and work for the people is all what IPOB is about! If you have a problem with their modus-operandi then start your own movement to change things....just like Sowore tried to do before they silenced him!
So now that they went to land of opportunities, what's their justifications for those crimes perpetuated? Ọmọ igbó, a Leopard can't change its spot. Una people's lust for quick money too much. Kiloode ṣe wọn fì ṣé yìn ní?

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Roland17(m): 2:18am On Aug 23, 2019
Kindly deport every single one of them back to Nigeria. Those with naturalized citizenship should have it revoked. Commute their sentence so they can serve it in Nigeria. More importantly, ban them for life from entering the US again.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by lastempero: 2:19am On Aug 23, 2019
Igbos we dey try sha,we dey do am big anywhere we go.
Omo our image is no longer launderable

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by CanadaOrBust: 2:21am On Aug 23, 2019
nextstep:
Please, I'm not condoning fraud, but I just want a more balanced reaction.

Man please. USA and its citizens are the overlords and originators of fraud of all kinds:

Insurance fraud: $80 billion a year across all lines of insurance.
https://www.insurancefraud.org/statistics.htm

Fraud as a result of data breaches - Equifax, Target, and a few others come to mind.

Medical Fraud: $1.24Billion
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/10/711688988/feds-charge-24-in-alleged-1-2-billion-medicare-fraud-scheme

Recent corporate frauds:
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/efik45ekdjl/our-take-on-the-10-biggest-frauds-in-recent-u-s-history-2/#69f48367775a

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-identity-theft-and-cybercrime

USA and Europe are the source of much more fraud. However, the profits from those places far outweighs the fraud. Conversely, Nigeria is not that valuable a market for them so they can afford to lose our business.

If u only knew how wrong u r.
NIGERIANS INTRODUCED IDENTITY THEFT AND CREDIT CARD SCAMS INTO USA long before Yahoo and laptops.
You'd be surprised, the AVERAGE American and European thinks in straight lines. He is not corrupt becsuse he doesn't know how to be. Much of their system was based on honour and that's all they knew. It took NIGERIANS to show Americans there is another way.
It never occured to Americans u could steal someone's identity and apply for credi cards, claim their tax refund, etc. NIGERIANS STARTED IT!
PROPORTIONATELY, other countries don't even come close. In 9ja, we EXPORT scams.

Take the scam described below. Average citizens of other countries are incapable of it without govt involvement (note the bolded):

washingtonpost.com
The Washington Post

Business

Nigerian scammers are stealing BILLIONS of dollars

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr.

June 12, 2018 at 2:56 PM

The FBI said June 11 it made 74 arrests in connection with 419 Nigerian email scams. The Post's Cleve R. Wootson Jr. explains how these scams have managed to be so successful. (Allie Caren/The Washington Post)

Savvy people already know it’s a bad idea to trust an email from a Nigerian prince hoping to use their bank account to unload a dead relative’s vast wealth.

And they’re just as suspicious of the sudden Internet-based love interest with questionable grammar who needs a few thousand untraceable dollars to clear up a passport issue in time for a magical first date.

But in a sophisticated and terrifying evolution of the Nigerian 419 scam, web-savvy crime syndicates are figuring out ways to bilk U.S. citizens of billions.

On Monday, the FBI announced the arrest of 74 people across the world — including 29 people in Nigeria and 41 in the United States — who authorities say were part of complex international networks that combed filings by the Securities and Exchange Commission, spoofed CEO emails and successfully targeted even hardened employees whose jobs are to safeguard their companies from financial mismanagement.

The recent scams have the same DNA as the poorly worded emails that have been showing up in people’s inboxes since the 1990s. Instead of playing on hopes of finding love or lust for sudden wealth, they play on fears about missing a vital company payment or upsetting a boss’s boss.

“[Scammers] are doing their research … going onto company websites and looking for the right people,” FBI Assistant Director Scott Smith, who helped lead the investigation, told the Wall Street Journal. “They may even go as far as pulling annual reports and finding what companies they do business with and [impersonating] those accounts.”

Adeyemi Odufuye and his team, for example, sifted SEC records, company websites and other business documents, looking for the names and email addresses of chief executives, chief financial officers and controllers, court documents say.

Odufuye, who had a half dozen nicknames, including “Jefe,” the Spanish word for “chief” or “boss,” led a crew responsible for stealing $2.6 million, including $440,000 from one business in Connecticut, according to the Justice Department.

The schemes used a variety of tactics to gain people’s trust and steal their money, federal authorities say. They registered website domain names that were hard to distinguish from the companies they were targeting — impersonations meant to give emails an air of authenticity. Some of those emails arrived with malware attachments that would snap images of a victim’s desktop or transmit key log information — a hacker trick for nabbing someone’s password.

They even employed money mules whose sole purpose was to move the ill-gotten gains from account to account, authorities say, disguising the electronic paper trail from investigators.

Odufuye was extradited from Britain on Jan. 3. He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of aggravated identity theft.

The arrests highlighted just how many people are falling for the latest iterations of the Nigerian hustle, as well as the staggering losses American businesses are accruing. According to FBI figures obtained by the Journal, victims of such scams reported $275 million in losses in 2015. By 2017, reported losses had more than doubled, to $675 million. And in the first quarter of this year, more than 4,000 victims reported $685 million in losses. The bureau estimates American businesses have lost more than $3.7 billion as a result of the schemes.

Since January 2015, the FBI estimated last year, there has been a 1,300 percent increase in identified exposed losses from similar scams. On Monday, the FBI issued a public service announcement about the scams.

Last year, FBI Special Agent Martin Licciardo, an organized crime investigator, said such crimes are “a serious threat on a global scale. The ability of these criminal groups to compromise legitimate business email accounts is staggering. … They are experts at deception.”

Scammers target businesses of all sizes, sometimes spending months studying a company’s organizational chart, the FBI said. They target people who frequently transfer large amounts of money and sensitive records in the course of business. They impersonate executives, human relations staff, law firms and trusted vendors. They usually insist that whatever bogus issue they’ve raised be cleared up as soon as possible, often by an immediate wire transfer. Discretion is often advised.

Another pair of alleged swindlers, Paul Wilson Aisosa and Gloria Okolie, went after a real estate closing attorney in Augusta, Ga. Such attorneys routinely keep large sums of money in a trust, often serving as a go-between for buyers and sellers. But Aisosa and Okolie convinced the unnamed attorney to send the proceeds from a recent sale — nearly $250,000 dollars — to Okolie’s account instead of to the seller, authorities said.

The pair is awaiting trial after being accused of laundering $665,000 in illicit funds, according to the Justice Department.

Before the attorney’s deposit, court documents say, the only cash in the account was the $100 required to start it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by dokyOloye: 2:23am On Aug 23, 2019
Biritiko:
[s][/s]
Typical Igbo always looking for a way to defend his brothers .
Na thunder go fire that your mouth las las
e better say dem do fraud,than to go de harvest people head from their shoulders grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Almaiga: 2:25am On Aug 23, 2019
So sad, our Eastern developers dominate the list.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Elnino4ladies: 2:27am On Aug 23, 2019
Igbos and crime is like Siamese twins SMH

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by EmekaBlue(m): 2:28am On Aug 23, 2019
Clever boys. eno easy to pull out foreign currency

These so called Americans are also big thieves reaping off Africa. Cant wait to chop Chinese yuan

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by kushme: 2:28am On Aug 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:

See the idiot here again trying to defend the dirt..
What fvckin' opportunities is your biased deeqhead saying.. So, after leaving Naija for the US and other Asian countries they still couldn't find opportunities and earn a decent living there, hmm? Like I said, most of them got sh**ts twisted in their heads... Unnecessary competition..
Shey na only una dey overseas... smiley

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by dokyOloye: 2:28am On Aug 23, 2019
EmekaBlue:
Clever boys. eno easy to pull out foreign currency

These so called Americans are also big thieves reaping off Africa. Cant wait to chop Chinese yuan
ajo nwa grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by igwefivestar(m): 2:28am On Aug 23, 2019
flowmama:

Oga, don't even go to country providing opportunities... We are all in this together and I am not a scammer...

Besides, if that nonsense narrative is your defense then how come they still went to a country that provided good opportunities only to go on scamming spree.

Respect yourself Oga
savage.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by IGBOSON1: 2:28am On Aug 23, 2019
Gazzy88:
So now that they went to land of opportunities, what's their justifications for those crimes perpetuated? Ọmọ igbó, a Leopard can't change its spot. Una people's lust for quick money too much. Kiloode ṣe wọn fì ṣé yìn ní?

Dude, i can't be repeating myself! See the response i gave to someone that asked a similar question to yours!

Igbos like 'quick money' as against the Yoruba (i'm guessing that's where you're from) that like 'slow money' abi? smiley

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by igwefivestar(m): 2:30am On Aug 23, 2019
ZWorld:

Source:
https://zenithnaija.com/1-1b-internet-scam-video-of-press-release-by-fbi-on-nigerian-syndicate/

cc: lalasticlala dominique Mynd44
my people my people, this one tire me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by paparazzi1987(m): 2:32am On Aug 23, 2019
See as Afonja plenty for the list grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Celepope: 2:33am On Aug 23, 2019
kushme:

See the idiot here again trying to defend the dirt..
What fvckin' opportunities is your biased deeqhead saying.. So, after leaving Naija for the US and other Asian countries they still couldn't find opportunities and earn a decent living there, hmm? Like I said, most of them got sh**ts twisted in their heads... Unnecessary competition..
Shey na only una dey overseas...

Leave that guy. If you carry people like am go heaven they will complain about "if the Nigerian government have put things in place, these people ought not to even bother coming to heaven" I am not a fan of Buhari but his statement about Nigerian youth being lazy is one ironical fact that we fail to accept in Nigeria judging by the high rate of ritual killings and fraudulent activities of the country's youth.

19 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Nigerian Prostitute Jumps To Her Death In Dubai During Police Raid (Photo) / Five Yahoo Yahoo LAUTECH Boys Busted By EFCC, See Their Faces (Photos) / Husband & Wife & Their Children Walk Unclad On The Street Of Cape Town (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.