Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,919 members, 7,799,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:28 PM

Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 (10738 Views)

Ayobami Adebayo Wins £15,000 9mobile Prize For Literature / Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Award For Literature In 1986(throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by Asiri1991: 6:33pm On Aug 27, 2019
I'm sure Adaobi will win the prize.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by WalkerMichael(m): 6:40pm On Aug 27, 2019
ola33t:
Home schooled 12yr old doing something with her life, while grown men above 25yrs will be on NL shouting FTC, local man cannot can and other related things.

grin grin are you related to young John? grin
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by internetpo(m): 6:48pm On Aug 27, 2019
Nice one. one day one day.

Great reporting by the way.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by Khaleell001(m): 7:41pm On Aug 27, 2019
nwakibie3:
all tribes represented with the exception of ndi ugwu as usual

you can never see an hausa man in this type of contest.

So myopic and tribalistic.

Why can't you concentrate on the contents of the post instead going off tanget against a group of people who has not insulted you.
But when the react now some dunce won't see who started the fire before it's starts spreading.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by Khaleell001(m): 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
fablani:
where ever you see merit and outstanding performance, you wont see northerners .but when it comes to crises and incivility ,you see their ugly faces and names

How has this got anything to do with tribe?
Some of you are just blind ignorant tribal bigots.
Sadly, no one is telling you this.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by Khaleell001(m): 7:45pm On Aug 27, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

Actually the winner last year or so was a Hausa man - Abubakar Adam Ibrahim Very beautiful book he wrote too.

But we would've seen more of them had there been a provision for 'national character' in the selection process cheesy

These hordes are just so dense that they can't see beyond tribal coloration.
As if some of them can really face northerners who are as brilliant as their counter parts elsewhere.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by LazyGold(m): 7:54pm On Aug 27, 2019
GidiWoodsMan:

Actually the winner last year or so was a Hausa man - Abubakar Adam Ibrahim Very beautiful book he wrote too.

But we would've seen more of them had there been a provision for 'national character' in the selection process cheesy

No that guy won it in 2016

The Winner last year was "Soji Cole" a Yoruba

Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by traihit: 7:55pm On Aug 27, 2019
tot:
11 shortlisted out of 173. Wow. Making this shortlist is an achievement on its own.

Adaobi Tricia's "I do not come to you by chance" was such a good read. Can't wait to read her shortlisted book.

You didn't add the fact that only 3 men featured here out of them. I'm beginning to think that women are better writers of fiction. I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong though.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by traihit: 7:58pm On Aug 27, 2019
fablani:
where ever you see merit and outstanding performance, you wont see northerners .but when it comes to crises and incivility ,you see their ugly faces and names

No. You're being clouded by biasness here. There are some northerners who don't fall to the usual construct of 'Northerners'. These are men and women who actually strive to make names for themselves devoid of any government help. It's a great discredit to them if you keep on with this biasness.

1 Like

Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by tot(f): 8:25pm On Aug 27, 2019
traihit:

You didn't add the fact that only 3 men featured here out of them. I'm beginning to think that women are better writers of fiction. I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong though.

To be honest, I didn't even notice that. I don't think women have any natural advantage over men with respect to writing fiction. Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Elechi Amadi, Ben Okri, Teju Cole, Ken Saro Wiwa are all incredibly good fiction writers.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by Nobody: 8:26pm On Aug 27, 2019
LazyGold:

No that guy won it in 2016

The Winner last year was "Soji Cole" a Yoruba

my bad
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by traihit: 8:42pm On Aug 27, 2019
tot:

To be honest, I didn't even notice that. I don't think women have any natural advantage over men with respect to writing fiction. Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Elechi Amadi, Ben Okri, Teju Cole, Ken Saro Wiwa are all incredibly good fiction writers.

It might not be a natural advantage but I think women have more messages to pass through fiction and recent times is really proving that.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by tot(f): 8:53pm On Aug 27, 2019
traihit:

It might not be a natural advantage but I think women have more messages to pass through fiction and recent times is really proving that.

Hmm...maybe, not sure I agree.
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by little1992: 9:12pm On Aug 27, 2019
fablani:
You will see names like Mohammed Dangrugwu
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by 9jaRealist: 1:00am On Aug 28, 2019
The list was obviously NOT drafted by the Buhari regime...
>
Re: Long-list For The Nigeria Prize For Literature 2019 by BlessingsIk(f): 5:11pm On Aug 28, 2019
Keep up the good work

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Are There No Millionaire Fiction Writers In Nigeria? / Please, Recommend a good book for a depressed fellow. / Your Thoughts ,my Thoughts,our Thoughts.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.