Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,714 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:53 PM

NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All (36948 Views)

NIBSS Circular To Delist Financial Institutions— What Fintechs Need To Know Now / CBN's NIBSS Launches Payment Solution, NQR To The Financial Sector / 276,852 Pos Transactions Failed On Christmas Eve —NIBSS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by OEPHIUS(m): 9:45pm On Aug 26, 2019
By Christian Mmadubuogu

How do you trust a person that leads you out of the desert but ends up dropping you in the middle of the sea? How do you trust a system that promised an ‘easy peasy’ banking experience but ends up fagging you out with incessant technical hitches and excuses? How do you trust a government’s idiosyncrasy of the ‘change’ homily while it continues to maintain the status quo of ‘business as usual’ How do you reconcile the regulatory deficiencies that leave the citizenry confused and doubtful?

A thousand ‘hows and whys’ yet no answer or even an attempt at amelioration. The level of public confidence in banks operating in Nigeria is fast dissipating and not such that can guarantee effective customer patronage of inter-bank payments.

According to media reports, Point of Sale (PoS) transaction failure hit an all-time high in March, with a leading commercial bank recording about 30,000 failure in one day on its platform. Though transactions via the PoS had not heretofore been great, it further deteriorated from October last year.

The general belief is that banks are failing Nigerians. Ask an average Nigerian what he thinks, and he would tell you that the internet services banks promised to make for a happy and less stressful experience, is now the bane that he contends with.

The truth that the people have yet to grasp is that the failings of the electronic transfer system is out of the hands of the banks. The main culprit is the Nigeria Interbank Settlement System (NIBSS).

When all Licenced banks through the Central Bank of Nigeria decided that it was pertinent to provide a single settlement window, they set up NIBSS in 1993 but it was not until 1994 that it kicked off. Life was easy and people were happy until same apex bank decided yet again that NIBSS deserved to be overloaded. NIBSS in 2011 accepted the burden of biting off more than it can chew by adding electronic fund transfers to the settlement system they already handle and called it NIBSS Instant Payments (NIP).

NIBSS may be a phenomenon — the preferred option – in the aspect of the settlement, a darling of the financial sector on properness and timeliness of checks and balances, but NIP is a total flop and among the growing number of the service’s 28.5 million customers (Jan-June 2018), backlash is brewing. The system has repeatedly fallen and is still falling short of expectations, and annoyingly, they make excuses every time. When people decried the interminable error messages which were responses to failed transactions during the June Salah holiday, NIBSS blamed their incompetence on technical difficulties.

When the Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Bill was finally passed into law to consolidate the 2014 Act, hope rose for Nigerians. Consumers were excited to have a government that stands behind them and the business savvy lot were encouraged to succeed even in the saturated market space. Amongst others, the Act proscribes unfair business practices or abuse of dominant market position by any company, as well as any agreement to restrain competition, and to put a check on the aforementioned, a commission was set up. The Act mandates the Federal Competition and Consumer Prohibition Commission (FCCPC) to administer the regulation. But for the government to now play conflicting roles of both a player (NIBSS/NIP) and a regulator (CBN), it shows that there is not only market failure but also government failure.

The question is ‘who regulates the regulator?’ FCCPC – regulator – CBN (pioneers of NIBSS) – regulator – This is a case of an intervener’s shortcomings more or less approximating or exceeding the market imperfection.

Ideally, one of the chief roles of government, particularly government embedded in a highly commercial culture, is to serve as a dispassionate go-between for settling contingencies about veridical claims in the marketplace. But government today has so many stakes in the outcome of so much enterprise that they do not care about the murmurs of the end-users.

NIBSS has been and is still proving themselves incapable of handling the instant payment system. The woman who rushes to the mall to buy food for her home and unable to pay with the PoS; the student who takes a bike to an ATM and unable to pay the motorcyclist from inability to make withdrawals, the company whose employees start to lose faith in because they failed to pay salaries as a result of malfunctioning e-payment channels and a host of other end users are fed up with the system. It is either they stop with the whole attempt now and face that which they are good at – settlement – or God help Nigerians who may have been led out of the desert only to be dropped off in the middle of the sea. The heart-breaking part would be if they cannot swim

https://thepunditng.com/nibss-stop-or-you-drown-us-all/

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Teewhy2: 9:47pm On Aug 26, 2019
You need to be extra careful when making internet transaction, I have sent money to someone who after 20 mins didn't see a credit alert and also I didn't see a debit transaction on my account then I decided to do it again and same thing till the third time when I received triple debit alert after like one hour taking my account to debit, I was thinking if you don't have enough money in the account the transaction should be unsuccessful but NO it went to take me to (-)

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by xpizzy(m): 9:49pm On Aug 26, 2019
Hmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Lincoln275(m): 9:50pm On Aug 26, 2019
Ok

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Ekakamba: 9:50pm On Aug 26, 2019
Nothing as good as a good summary. grin tongue

87 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by SpatialKing(m): 9:50pm On Aug 26, 2019
I have been victim of transfer failure serval times

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by emeijeh(m): 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2019
It is really alarming.
The rate of dispense errors of POS Terminals us terrible.
Bank staff branch wide are tired of attending to POS disputes on a per minute basis.
The auto reversal rate is 1:690 cases. cry

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2019
NIBSS has been and is still proving themselves incapable of handling the instant payment system. The woman who rushes to the mall to buy food for her home and unable to pay with the PoS; the student who takes a bike to an ATM and unable to pay the motorcyclist from inability to make withdrawals, the company whose employees start to lose faith in because they failed to pay salaries as a result of malfunctioning e-payment channels and a host of other end users are fed up with the system. It is either they stop with the whole attempt now and face that which they are good at – settlement – or God help Nigerians who may have been led out of the desert only to be dropped off in the middle of the sea. The heart-breaking part would be if they cannot swim
Conclusion of the whole matter.
We will get there someday soon.

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by level10: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2019
B

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Fidelismaria: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2019
Who watches the watchers?

Who controls the controllers?

Who regulate the regulators?

Who lead the leaders?

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by naijadrivablog: 9:51pm On Aug 26, 2019
Sometimes NIBBS us in the butt!

But let us look at the ratio of failed transactions to successful ones.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Joee2932: 9:52pm On Aug 26, 2019
Mr Premier the new MD in NIBSS sack 31 staff. One commit suicide. He wants to bring in his own people into the system.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by SocialJustice: 9:55pm On Aug 26, 2019
Nice piece. At a point, I thought banks were intentionally making transactions fail to enable them pool funds for overnight deals, but isn't interswitch and Remita operating in the same business?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by xana101: 9:55pm On Aug 26, 2019
Joee2932:
Mr Premier the new MD in NIBSS sack 31 staff. One commit suicide. He wants to bring in his own people into the system.
hhmmm. That’s wickedness

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by wagazala: 9:56pm On Aug 26, 2019
It is not all doom and gloom. This pessimistic view is not good for the industry. The OP failed to report the many successful daily transactions.

We are not there yet but surely on the way. Lets encourage ourselves please.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by dasanchez1(m): 9:56pm On Aug 26, 2019
why not apply the use of FIN-TECH coy to curtails this backlogs in the system.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by xtrim1: 9:57pm On Aug 26, 2019
Lol. Seems sponsored by competition. However, I think nibss, banks, and others in the POS transaction chain can improve. There are too many touch points in POS transactions.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Harnny(m): 9:59pm On Aug 26, 2019
Take out the ATM part...that's not NIBSS.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by alezzy13: 9:59pm On Aug 26, 2019
Why can't we get dedicated internet channel for such crucial transaction.

I'm not tech savvy but just thinking aloud.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by crownedprinz(m): 10:00pm On Aug 26, 2019
And their Staffs are paid so much. They should employ competent hands now. Politics everywhere

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Mydazz(m): 10:03pm On Aug 26, 2019
I made payment through POS on May 12, it read transaction failed and I was immediately debited, had to make another payment to again. I waited for a week to get a reversal, all to no avail. Went to the bank to fill form and all, to cut the story short, I didn't get a reversal till July ending.
It is really frustrating, for banks to acknowledge that the transaction failed and not reverse it immediately.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by OdefaGirl(f): 10:03pm On Aug 26, 2019
Abeg, no strength for this epistle... cool cool well, from the little one I read, I think we are managing though we aren't there yet but you can't ask them to stop the attempt(s) they are making

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by BizBayo: 10:04pm On Aug 26, 2019
The mother for all platforms for online transactions is coming soon.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by bhella10: 10:13pm On Aug 26, 2019
Tell us the reasons for these failures and not this mumbo-jumbo shii

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by naijapips04: 10:16pm On Aug 26, 2019
Who paid for this article?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by ruffhandu: 10:20pm On Aug 26, 2019
Given that NIBSS may need to upgrade their infrastructure, the author seems to forget there'll always be challenges - teething ones if I may call it. But, in any case, we are on the path to cashless society, and onward we go.

For now, I don't trust the system 100% (I doubt if I ever will). I always have extra to get me something, in case I am disappointed. Nigeria is growing at an alarming rate. Fintechs seem to halt the physical expansion of banks by branches (they have also joined the race to reach the unbaked through agency banking).

Las las, we are better off than we were. For the 30,000 transactions that failed in one day, the author did not tell us how many were successful in the same bank.

You may be surprised to hear that our clearing system is more advanced than some european countries.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by nonoski: 10:32pm On Aug 26, 2019
When

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 26, 2019
Harnny:
Take out the ATM part...that's not NIBSS.

Anything inter-bank touches NIBSS.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NIBSS: Stop! Or You Drown Us All by ourkobo: 11:00pm On Aug 26, 2019
BizBayo:
The mother for all platforms for online transactions is coming soon.

Facebook Libra?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recession: 12 Ways To Earn Foreign Currency Legitimately In Nigeria / Paddy Adenuga: It Is Nice Having Rich Parent, But It's His Money, Not Mine" / Dangote Refinery Begins Operations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.