Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,767 members, 7,806,098 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:23 AM

Penalty Takers Should Be Decided Before The Game- Ian Wright - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Penalty Takers Should Be Decided Before The Game- Ian Wright (298 Views)

Ian Wright Tells The NFF To Pay The Super Falcons. / Egypt Goalkeeper's Water Bottle Covered With Notes On Senegal's Penalty Takers / Media Coverage Is Disrespectful To AFCON - Ian Wright (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Penalty Takers Should Be Decided Before The Game- Ian Wright by ogbiwa: 9:49am On Aug 27, 2019
Former Arsenal striker Ian Wright says penalty-takers "need to be decided before the game".

Wright, who scored 20 penalties in his Gunners career, said it was "indecisive" for managers not to have one designated taker.

"I was the penalty-taker. If I missed two, then Dennis Bergkamp would be the penalty-taker,"

Wright told BBC Radio 5 Live's Monday Night Club.
Wright said he used to take 25 penalties after training to practise.

He said he was "so confident" in his technique that he was shocked when goalkeepers saved a spot-kick.

Wright was responding to the debate around Manchester United's decision to allow Paul Pogba and Marcus Rashford to share penalty duties this season.

Pogba stepped up to take a penalty he won against Wolves in the Premier League last week - only for keeper Rui Patricio to block his effort.

"The two of them are designated penalty-takers, it's up to them there and then," said manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer after the game.

Rashford, who had a 100% record on penalties for United, took his turn against Crystal Palace five days later, but struck the post - prompting criticism for Solskjaer's system.

"I think he [Rashford] was too definite with it - he really put the pace on it," Wright said.

"There was added pressure on him, absolutely there was. If there wasn't, he wouldn't have missed.

"When you're on the pitch and a penalty comes around you don't want two players over it, that's indecisive.

"It's got to come down to the manager to tell them who's going to take the penalty."

Wright, who scored 185 goals for Arsenal and missed six from the spot, added: "If I'm playing badly and it is not going well for me and we get a penalty I'm thinking 'yes, I've got a chance to score a goal'.

"There can be no negativity, no negativity."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49477796

Lalasticlala Mynd44

Re: Penalty Takers Should Be Decided Before The Game- Ian Wright by logon599: 9:49am On Aug 27, 2019
I just laugh when I hear people saying penalty is purely luck.
Only luck? How many penalties have the likes of Lampard, Gerrard, Milner, Hazard, Ronaldo etc missed compared to the number they've scored? It's only luck right?
The German national team of the 90s were notorious for never losing a penalty shootout until it was discovered that the team spends hours practicing penalties unlike other teams that just depend on luck.

3 Likes

Re: Penalty Takers Should Be Decided Before The Game- Ian Wright by Timmy301(m): 10:20am On Aug 27, 2019
There are great penalty takers jare, you don't even have to be scared.
Take a look at Ballotelli, Hazard, milner or even Crystal palace captain (milvjenovic or so)
No pressure at all
Re: Penalty Takers Should Be Decided Before The Game- Ian Wright by MasonKendall(m): 12:15pm On Aug 27, 2019
PL never apply new penalty rule?

(1) (Reply)

Barcelona Reveals Plan For Lionel Messi / I Will Do Everything To See My Team Succeed This Season - Neymar / Frank Lampard Set Ucl Target.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.