Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,944 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:39 AM

Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real (8423 Views)

Get 1gb Of Data Free From Airtel -for Real / How To Check Your MTN, Glo, Airtel & 9mobile Phone Number On Your Mobile Phone / How Can I Make My Nigeria Phone Number Looks Like A USA? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 12:31pm On Aug 27, 2019
Someone from Abuja called me now on my etisalat number, The person said I am using his mum number so I ask him how possible and who's your mother , He said his mum was attacked by Fulani hardsman in Kogi 2 years ago and a small tecno was stolen from her, I am not using tecno and I use the sim to browse only so I was surprised how that person got the number.Note: I bought this sim last year and register the Sim card in Lagos , Please who have experience this before, I am not scared of anything I am just asking if I am the only one that have this kind of experience.

1 Like

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Ekeseges(f): 1:00pm On Aug 27, 2019
Yeah when you abandon a sim for long. The network provider allocates the number to a new sim and sell
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 27, 2019
Ekeseges:
Yeah when you abandon a sim for long. The network provider allocates the number to a new sim and sell
So they don't know they can put people in trouble with that

2 Likes

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Michealeni: 1:50pm On Aug 27, 2019
When I lost my first sim, after many month I tried calling it, the person that picked the call was in portharcourt.
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by DevilhimseIf: 2:44pm On Aug 27, 2019
many fraud has been committed with this
a friend bought a new airtel sim and used access bank code to recharge about 20k probably the number was linked to previous owner account who can be dead already
the remaining balance in the account was about 150k +
told him to report to the bank i don't know whether he later did or not didn't follow it up again to avoid unnecessary hate he know the right thing to do.

some line (happened to me) if you buy and register it now and use it for whatsapp
many strange people will be chatting you calling you the name of the original owner
there was this glo i bought ehh na Amina (which was the previous owner of the number) those Aboki people keep calling me till i broke and throw away the sim

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 27, 2019
mrgoodd:

So they don't know they can put people in trouble with that
Terms and conditions apply. Many Nigerians rarely read that

1 Like

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 7:52pm On Aug 27, 2019
Once you stop receiving or making calls on your line, you are given a grace period of 90 to 180 days after which your line will be blocked and then recycled. To avoid the drama highlighted by op, mtn introduced a package where subscribers pay N500 per year to secure their lines.

5 Likes

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Teeyin(m): 8:27pm On Aug 27, 2019
Sure,if ur sim card is not active for 3months.it gonna be assigned to another user
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 8:27pm On Aug 27, 2019
asuustrike1:

Terms and conditions apply. Many Nigerians rarely read that
Term and conditions that I should go to jail for the Fulani herdsman I never see before Abi, Those telecommunication companies re just useless, I will jejely leave the sim
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Gelat0: 8:37pm On Aug 27, 2019
If you must keep a sim/line dormant for a long time, it is advisable you recharge the line before doing it
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 27, 2019
mrgoodd:

Term and conditions that I should go to jail for the Fulani herdsman I never see before Abi, Those telecommunication companies re just useless, I will jejely leave the sim
But it is stated on the leaflets

1 Like

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by sofiscatedmoron: 11:23pm On Aug 27, 2019
informative thread ,front page material, myd44
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 3:13am On Aug 28, 2019
asuustrike1:

But it is stated on the leaflets
What am trying too say is that what if its those fulani that attacked Olakunrin or any other prominent Nigerian and investigation is still on going , Don't you know that type of Sim card can put someone in a deep mess and I know for sure many Nigerian Dont keep Sim packs, So you see many people in jail have no knowledge of what seize there freedom.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Precixx(m): 3:32am On Aug 28, 2019
mrgoodd:

What am trying too say is that what if its those fulani that attacked Olakunrin or any other prominent Nigerian and investigation is still on going , Don't you know that type of Sim card can put someone in a deep mess and I know for sure many Nigerian Dont keep Sim packs, So you see many people in jail have no knowledge of what seize there freedom.
If indeed they are investigating the crime, they will know that they sim have being recycled and gone to new user, they arent illiterate
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by LadySarah: 3:52am On Aug 28, 2019
My bestie is going thru Such and has gone to mtn several times.Relatives of one Jolomi keeps calling her for yrs now.

Well,She is now friends to ppl She has never met.Seemed Their Aunt was a lovable person.
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by tafat: 4:45am On Aug 28, 2019
yes o, i have experienced that before when my phone was stolen, i was without phone for a while and when i got my new tecno device, i went to reclaim my number only to be told it had been allocated to someone else because it wasnt active for long undecided
mrgoodd:
Someone from Abuja called me now on my etisalat number, The person said I am using his mum number so I ask him how possible and who's your mother , He said his mum was attacked by Fulani hardsman in Kogi 2 years ago and a small tecno was stolen from her, I am not using tecno and I use the sim to browse only so I was surprised how that person got the number.Note: I bought this sim last year and register the Sim card in Lagos , Please who have experience this before, I am not scared of anything I am just asking if I am the only one that have this kind of experience.
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Nobody: 9:59am On Aug 28, 2019
mrgoodd:

It is simple. Lines are recycle after 6 to 1 year of inactive service. Should any security issue arise,the registered subscriber is traced not the former one. If a customer suspect any fraudulent activity, he or she should call his service provider
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by maasoap(m): 10:32am On Aug 28, 2019
DevilhimseIf:
many fraud has been committed with this
a friend bought a new airtel sim and used access bank code to recharge about 20k probably the number was linked to previous owner account who can be dead already
the remaining balance in the account was about 150k +
told him to report to the bank i don't know whether he later did or not didn't follow it up again to avoid unnecessary hate he know the right thing to do.

some line (happened to me) if you buy and register it now and use it for whatsapp
many strange people will be chatting you calling you the name of the original owner
there was this glo i bought ehh na Amina (which was the previous owner of the number) those Aboki people keep calling me till i broke and throw away the sim

You are right, I have one mtn sim, they used to send the account balance of the previous owner to me

1 Like

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by maasoap(m): 10:35am On Aug 28, 2019
Gelat0:
If you must keep a sim/line dormant for a long time, it is advisable you recharge the line before doing it

Leaving credit on abandoned lines alone doesn't work, you have to be using it to make at least one second call like 80 days intervals
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Emescot(m): 11:21am On Aug 28, 2019
I retrieved my MTN sim after 2yrs of non usage, My Etisalat sim after 1yr and 3months of non usage (it was a tough battle with Etisalat tho so I involved NCE) and i also retrieved another Etisalat i lost since December all in one day this month, it was a miracle.
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Flashh: 11:22am On Aug 28, 2019
That rubbish is common with Glo mostly. In which, I don't even know if it is an abandoned Sim, that Glo later sold it to me in 2017 as new, or just happened, someone used my phone number for debit alert.

I still receive debit alert on my Glo sim, of an Aboki guy, from a Unity Bank account.

I would have thrown that Sim card away, but hasn't, because many people have known me with that number, despite it's a backup sim.

3 Likes

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Habbatically: 12:01pm On Aug 28, 2019
It has once happened to me. I just laughed when a woman picked the call.
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Emmyk(m): 10:57pm On Jan 18, 2020
Emescot:
I retrieved my MTN sim after 2yrs of non usage, My Etisalat sim after 1yr and 3months of non usage (it was a tough battle with Etisalat tho so I involved NCE) and i also retrieved another Etisalat i lost since December all in one day this month, it was a miracle.

Hey bro. How did you go about this please? I used an Airtel sim card from October 2006 to late 2018.

I dropped it as there was no spare phone to insert it. So, recently, I tried using it, it was saying something about Register failed.

I called the number and it rang!

Do you think I can get this number back?
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by fotadmowmend(m): 9:49am On Jan 19, 2020
sure ..... my second sim has been reallocated, the funniest thing is that the number is on my card
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Emescot(m): 10:13am On Jan 19, 2020
Emmyk:

Hey bro. How did you go about this please? I used an Airtel sim card from October 2006 to late 2018.

I dropped it as there was no spare phone to insert it. So, recently, I tried using it, it was saying something about Register failed.

I called the number and it rang!

Do you think I can get this number back?

Bro if it's ringing on another person's phone and not on urs, the best thing is to forget it, as for my own mtn I didn't re-register it when mtn instructed everyone to do so sometimes back in 2017, so when I went there last year they told me the number was not on their database at all, but somehow they did it and it was a very nice welcome back for me, as for Etisalat it was a crazy fight I can't even begin to explain

1 Like

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by sulasa07(m): 10:47am On Jan 19, 2020
Precixx:

If indeed they are investigating the crime, they will know that they sim have being recycled and gone to new user, they arent illiterate
What about Okolie that was locked up for 10weeks coz he bought a reassigned sim of Buhari's daughter no?
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Ejadike(m): 11:37am On Jan 19, 2020
mrgoodd:
It's very possible. If it has been abandoned for as long as 6months
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Ejadike(m): 11:39am On Jan 19, 2020
LadySarah:
My bestie is going thru Such and has gone to mtn several times.Relatives of one Jolomi keeps calling her for yrs now.

Well,She is now friends to ppl She has never met.Seemed Their Aunt was a lovable person.
thats a good one
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Emmyk(m): 1:06pm On Jan 19, 2020
Emescot:

Bro if it's ringing on another person's phone and not on urs, the best thing is to forget it, as for my own mtn I didn't re-register it when mtn instructed everyone to do so sometimes back in 2017, so when I went there last year they told me the number was not on their database at all, but somehow they did it and it was a very nice welcome back for me, as for Etisalat it was a crazy fight I can't even begin to explain

Ah, thanks. I'll just wait around till the person too stops using it...

Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Emescot(m): 5:14pm On Jan 19, 2020
Emmyk:

Ah, thanks. I'll just wait around till the person too stops using it...
Lol, you go wait tire ooo grin
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Emmyk(m): 1:08am On Jan 20, 2020
Emescot:

Lol, you go wait tire ooo grin

Lol.
Re: Can My Abandoned Phone Number Be Assigned To Someone Else For Real by Arhyodele88: 7:39am On Aug 10, 2021
Emescot,

Morning, Pls kindly direct my on how you go about retrieving your 9mobile line.

I have this crazy experience with them. Lost my line sometime in 2019 and went to the office only to be told that I wasn't the one that registered the sim initially. This was surprising to me because i bought the line since 2010 and i have equally done welcome back 3 times on this line.
I involved NCC and after putting more effort, nothing come out it it.

Can you pls share with me how you did yours.
This can frustrate someone

(1) (2) (Reply)

Glo Unlimited Free Browsing Cheat Via Thunder VPN For August 2022 / Are Nigerians Using Their Handsets The Right Way? Lesson From Dana Aircrash / Dial *442# On Your Airtel And Drop Your Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.