Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Pioneer Maize Seed - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pioneer Maize Seed (16424 Views)

Maize Seed Recommendations Needed / Seedco Maize Seed Both Yellow And White Is Available! / Confused About The Suitable Maize Seed To Plant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:56am On Oct 11, 2019
Idemujoseph:
My brother, y not sell it fresh and get you money. I think selling fresh corn is more profitable than dry corn.
in the north we didn't eat much maize like that fresh.no any good market for it only dry one,therefore I don't have option than to allow it to dry before threshing it.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:58am On Oct 11, 2019
I even bought multi purpose thresher for maize,beans and suyabean.iam taking it to village today for both my personal used and commercial used.

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Idemujoseph: 10:04am On Oct 11, 2019
shariff84:
in the north we didn't eat much maize like that fresh.no any good market for it only dry one,therefore I don't have option than to allow it to dry before threshing it.
oh no! Here in Benin and warri, 1 fresh maize is 25 to 30 naira at the farm. They will come to your farm and harvest it themselves.
Multiple it by 50000 fresh maize in hectare. People from benin city should quote me wrong if I lie or exaggerate.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 11:14am On Oct 11, 2019
Hmm. I am surprised myself because I have bought roasted corn for N70 in Abuja, several times in Gudu area. Where I used to stay, na booking we dey book sef in advance.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Nobody: 2:14pm On Oct 11, 2019
I never came across anyone roasting corn during my stay in katsina. I don't think they do it in the core northern states
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by anukunle(m): 9:14am On Oct 12, 2019
quote author=shariff84 post=83032359]I even bought multi purpose thresher for maize,beans and suyabean.iam taking it to village today for both my personal used and commercial used.[/quote]
Please, how much did you buy the sheller?
How possible is it for this sheller machine to do maize, beans etc
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by anukunle(m): 9:25am On Oct 12, 2019
shariff84:
I even bought multi purpose thresher for maize,beans and suyabean.iam taking it to village today for both my personal used and commercial used.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 2:50am On Oct 13, 2019
Idemujoseph:
oh no! Here in Benin and warri, 1 fresh maize is 25 to 30 naira at the farm. They will come to your farm and harvest it themselves.
Multiple it by 50000 fresh maize in hectare. People from benin city should quote me wrong if I lie or exaggerate.
I agree with you,in the north we are almost all farmers that's why there is no market for fresh corn.thanks
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 2:51am On Oct 13, 2019
anukunle:
the sheller price is 110k complete and its multi purpose sheller!
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 11:44pm On Oct 24, 2019
shariff84:
the sheller price is 110k complete and its multi purpose sheller!
May God bless your farm. Amin
I have some questions and advise
What plant spacing did you use?
Is the land a virgin land?
You planted in July, how did your plant fare during the August break?

1. I think your fertilizer application is not enough. 3 bags of npk is not enough for even a 30000 plant population talkless of 50-70k
2. You did not use any insecticides some of the leaves were bad in the pics.
3. Intercropping other crops with maize is not a good idea. Although legumes are good source of nitrogen but they compete phosphorus and potassium with the maize.
4. Please endeavour to use a foliar spray for micronutrients. NPK are the major nutrient what of other important micronutrients which may not be available in your soil.

I believe the yield will definitely improve if these are taking in consideration.

Note.
2.25-2.4g of nitrogen is needed per plant
For 50k plant population
50000*2.25 = 112.5 kg of Nitrogen needed

1 bag of Npk 15:15:15 is 7.5kg of N; 7.5kg of P ; 7.5kg K
1 bag of Npk 20:10:10 is 10kg N ; 5kg P; 5kg K
1 bag of urea 46:0:0 is 23kg N

For 50000 you need a minimum of :
8 bags of npk 15:15:15 and 3 bags of urea
Or 12 bags of npk 20:10:10 only applied twice, 6 bags per application

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 11:52pm On Oct 24, 2019
shariff84:
I planted one and half hectare on 20 July 2019 and I planted another one and half on 26 July 2019.

For 75 - 80 days maturity
You need OPTIMUM nutrient and rainfall between the 4th - 7th week. How was the rainfall in your area between 16-30th of August?
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 12:25am On Oct 25, 2019
The mistake people make about foliar spray/fertilizers is that it provide the nutrients the plant needs. It is wrong , the best uptake is through the roots, apply your major nutrient through the roots and micro nutrients can easily be taken through the leaves

Soil pH affect uptake of nutrients through the root, foliar application enables the plant to absorb all the nutrients it needs.

Non virgin lands without topsoil are deficient in some micro nutrient application of foliar spray enables the plant to get the micro nutrients.

How many Nigerian farmers measure soil pH before planting?
Let us endeavour to use foliar spray in ADDITION to the npk or urea?
Don't let any marketers deceive you, foliar fertiliser alone cannot give you what you want.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 12:58am On Oct 25, 2019
Your concerns are legitimate. However, fertilizer requirements are best based on soil tests and planting history. If the soil is fertile enough, he might not need to add as much fertilizer as you've indicated. In any case, harvest is near; we'll see the results in HD.

vonxe:

1. I think your fertilizer application is not enough. 3 bags of npk is not enough for even a 30000 plant population talkless of 50-70k
3. Intercropping other crops with maize is not a good idea. Although legumes are good source of nitrogen but they compete phosphorus and potassium with the maize.
4. Please endeavour to use a foliar spray for micronutrients. NPK are the major nutrient what of other important micronutrients which may not be available in your soil.

I believe the yield will definitely improve if these are taking in consideration.

Note.
For 50k plant population

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 6:34am On Oct 25, 2019
jackomagnus:
Your concerns are legitimate. However, fertilizer requirements are best based on soil tests and planting history. If the soil is fertile enough, he might not need to add as much fertilizer as you've indicated. In any case, harvest is near; we'll see the results in HD.

You are right about the soil test. But how many Nigeria farmers do that? The fertilizer rate calculation I showed is the minimum for a maize plant to reach its potential.

Let me tell you a real practical example:
I planted maize on an acre of land which has been used just twice since it was cleared meaning it is close to a virgin land
That was the first time I used a 25×75 spacing. The local farmers around me were making jest of me, telling me my spacing is narrow and the maize yield wont be good I ignored them. I applied 1.5 bags of npk since i believed the land is close to being a virgin land.
The local farmers who gave their plant much needed spacing, because they had to intercrop with cassava, had better plant, big and sturdy while mine was thin and fragile. I was ashamed go to farm for harvest because I had made mouth that their method is obsolete and mine is the modern way. We got thesame yield despite my plant population is 3-4 times their plant population. I later learnt they called me "alakowe ti o mo way" meaning "an educated literate who doesnt know anything".

I started making calls to experts and reading more just to prove them wrong not because I wanted profit or make money but just to redeem myself (ego issue). That was when I came across the fertilizer rate calculation. It is a safe haven for farmers without conducting soil test. I came across a lot of things like importance of manure over inorganic fertlizer, importance of foliar fertilizer etc.

I did it again now but instead of using 25 × 75 spacing I decided to use 25×60 spacing just to prove to them I was right all along. I used 5.5 bags of npk 20:10:10 on just one acre I apply foliar spray plus pesticide every two weeks. My plants are big, my plant leaves are shining and deeply green, no any coloration on the leaves despite the huge rain.
The local farmers now said it is only the rich that can get plant this kind of maize but I got my respect back.
The problem is that the breed I used is not high yielding reason i picked interest in this thread!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:41am On Oct 25, 2019
vonxe:

Note.
For 50k plant population

OK thank u, and here are some answers to your questions.1- I applied fertilizer three time for the maize,at planting 3bags per hectare only NPK 15:15:15,at week 4 also 3 bags per hectare I mixed Golding 20:10:10 and urea and final one urea only 3 bags per hecatere.yes is true maize need fertilizer enough to give good yield. 2- I used insecticide because of bad leaves on the maize,I applied caterpillar powder from juvalli company and it worked perfectly OK.also trufully there is not to much rain in our region during august,the rain then is falling only on weekly basis(mostly on Friday). But nonetheless, the maize has done better,we will even cut it down on Sunday because it dried to allow beans have more space.3-in the north,we used to enter crop with beans because we value beans in the north more than the maize,but note we are not planting them at the same time,I planted beans when the maize is week 7 and they are all doing fine,I even gave the farm out for manual weeding because of the beans last three days.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 7:47am On Oct 25, 2019
jackomagnus:

you too are right,the farm I rented the locals never used fertilizer on it when planting local maize,and even now that I planted pioneer on it,there are some portion on the farm that I only applied fertilizer only twice instead of thrice and the yield all the same!.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:01am On Oct 25, 2019
vonxe:

Note.
For 50k plant population

you see we are in group,no one ever applied 13 bags per hectare,highest we mostly apply is 9-10bags per hectare and the yield is always OK. Also where you suggested using 12 bags for two application, that's at planting and week 6.for maize is better you divided that 12/3 thats 4 to apply three times because maize need nutrients at week 3-4.thanks
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 8:23am On Oct 25, 2019
shariff84:
you see we are in group,no one ever applied 13 bags per hectare,highest we mostly apply is 9-10bags per hectare and the yield is always OK. Also where you suggested using 12 bags for two application, that's at planting and week 6.for maize is better you divided that 12/3 thats 4 to apply three times because maize need nutrients at week 3-4.thanks

Thanks for your response and explanation. It is always good if two experienced people discuss.

According to research I made, applying Nitrogen based fertilizers during planting is almost like wasting fertilizer. What plants need initially is phosphorous for root development.

Fertilizer can be applied thrice or even 4 times but due to cost of labor applying 2 times will yield thesame result as applying 3 or 4 times.

For a 75-80 days maturing maize breeds apply at 2 weeks after planting and 4 or 5 weeks after planting.

For 85-days and above maturing maize breeds apply at 2 weeks after planting and 4,5 or 6 weeks after planting or thrice 2wks , 4wks and 6wks.

I applied 2 times and my maize is extremely excellent

3 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 8:31am On Oct 25, 2019
shariff84:

I didn't suggest 13 bags per hectare what I said is that your planting population determines the quantity of fertilizer to be applied.

Again as someone rightly said fertilizer application depends on the fertility of your soil.

Thanks once again
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 9:38am On Oct 25, 2019
vonxe:

I didn't suggest 13 bags per hectare what I said is that your planting population determines the quantity of fertilizer to be applied.

Again as someone rightly said fertilizer application depends on the fertility of your soil.

Thanks once again
thanks,you really study a lot about maize.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 11:46pm On Oct 30, 2019
shariff84:
...But nonetheless, the maize has done better,we will even cut it down on Sunday because it dried out...

Wow! So happy to learn this. I can't wait for the results.

Expect questions after the harvest o grin

PS: I asked for your contact, you are yet to send to me. Thanks
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:07am On Oct 31, 2019
jackomagnus:

Wow! So happy to learn this. I can't wait for the results.

Expect questions after the harvest o grin

PS: I asked for your contact, you are yet to send to me. Thanks
WhatsApp no. 08032777272

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:11am On Oct 31, 2019
Iam back from farm yesterday night,we cut the maize all to give beans space,by next month if the beans has done,we will thresh the maize and the actually yield that I can be able get per hectare will be known.

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:31am On Oct 31, 2019
More

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 5:26pm On Oct 31, 2019
[quote author=shariff84 post=81672286][/quote]

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 8:34pm On Nov 01, 2019
shariff84:
Iam back from farm yesterday night,we cut the maize all to give beans space,by next month if the beans has done,we will thresh the maize and the actually yield that I can be able get per hectare will be known.

Nice one! We can't wait to hear it.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Penkelemess: 3:28pm On Nov 07, 2019
My people, late on this thread but I have a serious question to ask. Been told that average maize yield is about 1 ton per hectare!! Can someone please confirm this

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 10:04am On Nov 08, 2019
Huh, 1 ton/ha! shocked That must've been like one century ago!

Nigeria's average is about 2 tons/ha.

However, right here in this same Nigeria, some hit 8 tons/ha with good seeds and agronomic practices.

So, it really depends on what the farmer wants and knows. Plant maize like the pre-historic Homo habilis and you can get 100kg per hectare. Plant it like a 21st century farmer and you could even hit higher than 8 tons like they do in the Americas (USA and Chile)

Penkelemess:
My people, late on this thread but I have a serious question to ask. Been told that average maize yield is about 1 ton per hectare!! Can someone please confirm this

2 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by elder101: 11:44am On Nov 08, 2019
shariff84:
I bought planter double seeder from Lagos at 57k

Please can I see the image of this planter and address of the shop.
Thanks.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 12:09pm On Nov 09, 2019
elder101:

Please can I see the image of this planter and address of the shop.
Thanks.
Dale Matrix Logistic Ltd. buromat house,11A,shipeolu street,onipanu shomolu,Lagos.08097915478

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Vaccine And Drugs Time Table For Chicken Layers / Flemish Giant Rabbits Now Available (pics) / Nigerian Kidnap Gangs Drive Big-time Nigerian Farmers Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.