Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Pioneer Maize Seed - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pioneer Maize Seed (16411 Views)

Maize Seed Recommendations Needed / Seedco Maize Seed Both Yellow And White Is Available! / Confused About The Suitable Maize Seed To Plant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Penkelemess: 12:55am On Nov 11, 2019
jackomagnus:
Huh, 1 ton/ha! shocked That must've been like one century ago!

Nigeria's average is about 2 tons/ha.

However, right here in this same Nigeria, some hit 8 tons/ha with good seeds and agronomic practices.

So, it really depends on what the farmer wants and knows. Plant maize like the pre-historic Homo habilis and you can get 100kg per hectare. Plant it like a 21st century farmer and you could even hit higher than 8 tons like they do in the Americas (USA and Chile)

Afraid catch me! Need to do more research I guess. Perhaps if you could kindly point me in the right direction, I will take it from there
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 8:40am On Nov 11, 2019
Penkelemess:

Afraid catch me! Need to do more research I guess. Perhaps if you could kindly point me in the right direction, I will take it from there

I get many of these info online. So many resources: mostly from universities in USA

By the way, I also plant maize (before someone will come here and insult me by calling me internet farmer angry)
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Penkelemess: 7:32pm On Nov 11, 2019
jackomagnus:

I get many of these info online. So many resources: mostly from universities in USA

By the way, I also plant maize (before someone will come here and insult me by calling me internet farmer angry)

Hahahahahahaha

I feel you. But certainly, what applies in the US will not apply here in Nigeria, abi? Farming techniques (mechanisation, etc) I can accept but the seed in particular should also matter. The other thing I heard is that some farmers don’t buy the right seed out here and don’t apply the right amount of fertiliser

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by paito: 10:58am On Nov 12, 2019
shariff84:
pls noted,we apply fertilizer (N.P.K 15:15:15) three bags per hectares that's 9bags for the three hectares
Should it be 3 bags per hectare or 9 bags per hectare sir

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 11:02am On Nov 12, 2019
paito:

Should it be 3 bags per hectare or 9 bags per hectare sir
its 9 bags per hectares,three at planting,3 at week 3,3 at week 6.

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 1:40pm On Nov 12, 2019
Penkelemess:

Hahahahahahaha

I feel you. But certainly, what applies in the US will not apply here in Nigeria, abi? Farming techniques (mechanisation, etc) I can accept but the seed in particular should also matter. The other thing I heard is that some farmers don’t buy the right seed out here and don’t apply the right amount of fertiliser

Well, as a scientist, I can only tell you such high yields are obtainable here. There is nothing they are doing over there that we cannot do here and achieve similar results. But let's leave the discussion at this point.

2 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Penkelemess: 6:19pm On Nov 12, 2019
jackomagnus:

Well, as a scientist, I can only tell you such high yields are obtainable here. There is nothing they are doing over there that we cannot do here and achieve similar results. But let's leave the discussion at this point.

No wahala. Good to know
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by enyi1: 7:48pm On Nov 12, 2019
shariff84:
we bought about 11 planters in our group,I bought my own from Lagos through someone I know in nairaland. my own is among the best,if not the best.its one seed per hole as far as you will be pushing it small during planting.
Please can you drop the contact of where you bought the planters from. Thanks
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 5:00am On Nov 13, 2019
enyi1:

Please can you drop the contact of where you bought the planters from. Thanks

Go through the thread, he had given the full details earlier
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by enyi1: 7:49pm On Nov 13, 2019
jackomagnus:

Go through the thread, he had given the full details earlier
Thanks. I have read it through to the end. Please i am also interested in details of the seller of the thresher. God bless you so much for sharing this knowledge.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by paito: 7:41am On Nov 19, 2019
[quote author=vonxe post=83437539]

For 75 - 80 days maturity
You need OPTIMUM nutrient and rainfall between the 4th - 7th week. How was the rainfall in your area between 16-30th of August?[/q
What is the output of foundation seeds that you planted
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 8:19am On Nov 19, 2019
[quote author=paito post=84161370][/quote] the result will be out in the next few weeks.I planted beans inside the farm.therefore,ones the beans is done,we will harvest them all.

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by xjiggy: 11:37am On Nov 20, 2019
shariff84:
the result will be out in the next few weeks.I planted beans inside the farm.therefore,ones the beans is done,we will harvest them all.
please where can I get pioneer maize
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by paito: 12:43am On Nov 21, 2019
xjiggy:
please where can I get pioneer maize

0817 001 2069 is the man in charge of pioneer seeds in Nigeria

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 3:49pm On Dec 11, 2019
Update coming soon ,iam in the farm.here is the maize from the farm.one of my friend got 4.2 tons from one hectare.

1 Like

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by skyoboy(m): 6:56pm On Dec 11, 2019
I think pioneer seed is the best in Nigeria for now. My uncle got 8.5 tons from his farm. He used 9 bags of NPK at planting and 4 bags of UREA at 5 weeks after planting.

2 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by shariff84: 6:50am On Dec 18, 2019
As promised, I will never lie because of those that want to invest in pioneer maize to have an insight.its really unfortunate that I was only been able to generate 2.5 ton per hactare!. I got only 7.5 tons for the whole 3 hectares!

3 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 10:58am On Dec 18, 2019
shariff84:
As promised, I will never lie because of those that want to invest in pioneer maize to have an insight.its really unfortunate that I was only been able to generate 2.5 ton per hactare!. I got only 7.5 tons for the whole 3 hectares!

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is a learning opportunity for you and the readers.
What did your friends do that you did not do?
In case of next time, what would you have done better?

You did not make profit as you expected neither did you make a loss. Your profit is the experience you gained

2 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 11:02am On Dec 18, 2019
Penkelemess:

Hahahahahahaha

High yield maize requires a very high fertile soil or enough fertiliser application

3 Likes

Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 11:06am On Dec 18, 2019
[quote author=paito post=84161370][/quote]
I broke even, did not make profit or lost
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 11:47am On Dec 18, 2019
I am starting to think that these exotic seeds are heavily overhyped! Cost so much and yield so little. I bought two of these expensive seeds and also foundation seed. The foundation seed that cost me less than the 2 premium seeds was the one that produced best of all three.

Just imagine!
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by noeloge82(m): 3:07pm On Dec 18, 2019
stagger:
I am starting to think that these exotic seeds are heavily overhyped! Cost so much and yield so little. I bought two of these expensive seeds and also foundation seed. The foundation seed that cost me less than the 2 premium seeds was the one that produced best of all three.

Just imagine!
I actually followed this thread from beginning especially when I saw d cost of seed and without blinking I think its not really worth it, I mean d seed , there are other seed companies that are cheaper with good results like premier seed and many others and in fact I tried some local seeds and d results were also incredible.
Although d local seeds I used I treated them with apron plus and the seed its self was looking great and d results is also good
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 4:05pm On Dec 18, 2019
stagger:

Just imagine!

Bros please don't judge hastily.
I followed this thread and he quoted 2 people who had 6.5 tonnes and 4.7 tonnes from thesame seed.
Someone quoted 8.5 tonnes
I called pioneer seed representative and he said their yield is 5 tonnes above.

I have tried foundation seeds and I can authoritatively tell you that it is not better than premier seeds.

There must be something he did not do that others did!

When he said at 6 weeks it has already tasselled then I knew something was wrong. If the maize is not stressed then it should tassell around 48-55 days.

Agronomic practices is key.

Planting OPV maize is the simplest and you get good yield but low quantity but this hybrids are very difficult if you don't do something right then you are doomed!
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 4:10pm On Dec 18, 2019
noeloge82:

I actually followed this thread from beginning especially when I saw d cost of seed and without blinking I think its not really worth it, I mean d seed , there are other seed companies that are cheaper with good results like premier seed and many others and in fact I tried some local seeds and d results were also incredible.
Although d local seeds I used I treated them with apron plus and the seed its self was looking great and d results is also good

I doubt if you planted the local seeds using 25 × 75cm spacing.
Try it and see how it will perform.

OPV are strong but the yields are low compared to hybrids.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by noeloge82(m): 4:43pm On Dec 18, 2019
vonxe:

I doubt if you planted the local seeds using 25 × 75cm spacing.
Try it and see how it will perform.

OPV are strong but the yields are low compared to hybrids.
Soil and weather plays a great role in every crop , in maize I usually plant sammaz 35 and oba 4 but this year I tried OPV and I was suppried with results,
Meanwhile my farm is in southwest so remember the rain here is great with a good sunshine
And I sell fresh and I can tell u any day anytime I had good results
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by noeloge82(m): 4:45pm On Dec 18, 2019
vonxe:

I followed this thread and he quoted 2 people who had 6.5 tonnes and 4.7 tonnes from thesame seed.

I have tried foundation seeds and I can authoritatively tell you that it is not better than premier seeds.

When he said at 6 weeks it has already tasselled then I knew something was wrong. If the maize is not stressed then it should tassell around 48-55 days.

Planting OPV maize is the simplest and you get good yield but low quantity but this hybrids are very difficult if you don't do something right then you are doomed!
Like u said something may have gone wrong but d seed price is high
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by Liadi2(m): 5:04pm On Dec 18, 2019
From my own observation selling fresh maize is better than dry one.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by vonxe: 5:20pm On Dec 18, 2019
Liadi2:
From my own observation selling fresh maize is better than dry one.

I think so also
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by stagger: 5:31pm On Dec 18, 2019
noeloge82:

Like u said something may have gone wrong but d seed price is high

The rains started in June in the north this year. Very late indeed.
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 7:35pm On Dec 18, 2019
True!

vonxe:

High yield maize requires a very high fertile soil or enough fertiliser application
Re: Pioneer Maize Seed by jackomagnus(m): 2:09am On Dec 25, 2019
I think the OP did quite well with his agronomic practices as far as timely weeding and fertilizer application is concerned. However, I suspect something as easy to overlook as an acidic soil to be responsible for this unusually low yield.
In such a case, the nutrients become unavailable for the plant's use.
vonxepost=85022873:

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Gardening: How To Water Plants For A Month At No Cost (Pictures) / Vaccine And Drugs Time Table For Chicken Layers / Flemish Giant Rabbits Now Available (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.