Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,577 members, 7,801,652 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla (794 Views)

In Times Of Calamity, People Divide Into Four Levels – Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen / What You Need To Know About Dreams And Its Interpretation? / Sheik Dahiru Bauchi Defies Sultan, Holds Eid On Wednesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 11:22am On Aug 28, 2019
For ages, there had been a great dispute between the Shia and Sunni regarding the meaning of "Mawla" in this saying of our Prophet:

Imam Tirmidhi documents:

Narrated Abu Sarihah, or Zaid bin Arqam - Shu'bah had doubt: from the Prophet (s):

For whomever I am his Mawla then 'Ali is his Mawla.

Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)

Sahih Sunan Tirmidhi, Book on virtues
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3713; Arabic reference : Book 49, Hadith 4078
https://sunnah.com/urn/635920

While Shia consistently maintained that the word "Mawla" in this hadith meant "someone with greater authority over others, that is, a leader, director of affairs", Sunni scholars (except for a very few) insisted that the word in that hadith meant, "friend and ally".

Linguistically, all these meaning (postulated by Shia and Sunni) are correct since the word "Mawla" has several meaning. However,  the right meaning to a word with several meaning has to be determined within the context of its usage.

Shia submission lies in the context in which the sentence was used. For example, Imam Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar al-‘Asqalani copies this elaborate riwayah of Ishaq
b. Rahwayh:

Ishaq said: Abu ‘Amir al-‘Aqadi – Kathir b. Zayd – Muhammad b. ‘Umar b. ‘Ali – his father - ‘Ali:

Verily, the Prophet, peace be upon him, came to a tree at (Ghadir) Khumm. Then he came out, holding the hand of ‘Ali, and saying: “Do you not testify that Allāh is your Lord?” They said, “Yes, we do.” He said, “Do you not testify that Allah and His Messenger are more entitled to you than yourselves and that Allah and His Messenger are your Awliya?” They said, “Yes, we do”. He said, “So, whosoever Allah and His Messenger are his Mawla, verily this one (i.e. ‘Ali) is his mawla. I have left behind over you that which if you hold fast to it you will never go astray: the Book of Allah – one end of which is in His Hand and the other in your hands – and my Ahl al-Bayt.

Then, al-Hafiz comments: This chain is sahih.

Source: al-Matalib al-Aliyah bi Zawaid al-Masanid al-Thamaniyyah (Beirut: Dar al-Ma’rifah; 1414 H) [annotator: Prof. Shaykh Habib al-Rahman al-A’zami], vol., 4, p. 65, # 3972
https://library.islamweb.net/hadith/display_hbook.php?bk_no=325&pid=154669&hid=4075

The context: [ “Do you not testify that Allah and His Messenger are more entitled to you than yourselves and that Allah and His Messenger are your Awliya?”]

Only when this question was answered affirmatively by the Sahabah did the Prophet pronounced:

[So, whosoever Allah and His Messenger are his Mawla, verily this one (i.e. ‘Ali) is his mawla.]

Therefore, to say that the word "Mawla" in the abovementioned hadith is "friend or ally" is tantamount to academic hypocrisy.
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 11:27am On Aug 28, 2019
# Sheik Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen's Interpretation

In Majmuh' Fataawa we read:

[507] The noble Sheik was asked: about the saying of man if he addressed a king: ((Ya Mawlayi - O My Mawla))?

He (the Sheik) replied: Al-Wilayat is divided into two parts:

First division: Wilayat Mutlaq (absolute Wilayat) and this is only for Allah Almighty is like absolute sovereignty, and Allah's Wilayat in the general sense is universal to everyone. Allah Most High says: [Then are they sent back to Allah, their Mawla, the True one; now surely His is the judgment and He is swiftest in taking account.](al-An'aam: 62)

This made Him the Mawla of these dishonorable people, and this Wilayat is general. But in the sense of a particular meaning, then it is particular to the righteous believers. Allah Most High says:

That is because Allah is the Mawla of those who believe, and because the unbelievers shall have no protector for them. (Muhammad: 11)

... This is a particularized and special Wilayat.

Second division: Restricted or Limited Wilayat. And this is (used) for other than Allah. And for it, there are several meaning. From it, is:

An-Naasir (The helper), and al-Mutawala Lil Umuur (The One in charge of affairs), and as-Sayyid (The Master).

(Pertaining the first meaning - An-Naasir), Allah Most High says:

...and if you back up each other against him, then surely Allah it is Who is his Mawla (Helper), and Jibreel and -the righteous believers...(Tahrim: 4)

(Pertaining the second meaning -al-Mutawala Lil Umuur), He (the Prophet), peace be upon him, says:

[Whosoever I am his Mawla, then Ali is his mawla]

(Pertaining the second meaning - as-Sayyid), he - peace be upon him says:

"The Wala' is for the manumitted (of the slave)."

And on this, it is alright to say to the king: "my Mawla" in the sense of my master, unless he is afraid of it, he is not allowed to do so.

Source: Majmuh' Fataawa wa Rasaa'il fadhilat ash-Sheik Muhammad ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen, vol. 3 page 136 - 137

The above Submission is a precise and explicit explanation of various meaning of Mawla (or it’s other derivatives) and it is in the right perspective that even the respected Salafi sheik, ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen also shares Shia interpretation that Mawla in the hadith of the Prophet, “for whoever I am his Mawla, then Ali is his Mawla” is in the meaning of al-Mutawala Lil Umuur – The one in charge of Affairs.

Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by Empiree: 5:00pm On Aug 28, 2019
And when "mawla" is used in the context of "mawlana" as a title for a Sheikh, does that mean friend and ally or authority still?
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 11:10pm On Aug 28, 2019
Empiree:
And when "mawla" is used in the context of "mawlana" as a title for a Sheikh, does that mean friend and ally or authority still?

It depends on who you addressed with it. If it is your mate, it denote "friend". If it is your sheik or teacher, it denotes "Master (sayyid)".

1 Like

Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by Empiree: 1:12am On Aug 29, 2019
AlBaqir:

It depends on who you addressed with it. If it is your mate, it denote "friend". If it is your sheik or teacher, it denotes "Master (sayyid)".
isn't in the same context Nabi Muhammad (saw) was speaking with respect to S. Ali(ra)?.

I guess Sunni downplayed Mawla to avoid exaggeration with regards to S. Ali's position in the hadith
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 2:14pm On Aug 29, 2019
Empiree:
isn't in the same context Nabi Muhammad (saw) was speaking with respect to S. Ali(ra)?.

I guess Sunni downplayed Mawla to avoid exaggeration with regards to S. Ali's position in the hadith

That's why the context in which word with several meaning is used will determine the true meaning of such word.

In the hadith under discussion, the context is "do I not have authority over you than yourself, and that Allah and His Messenger are your Awliyah"?

So, how can Awliyah and Mawla in this context meant "friend and ally"?!
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by Rashduct4luv(m): 9:05am On Aug 31, 2019
Salafi sheik, ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen also shares Shia interpretation that Mawla in the hadith of the Prophet....

But you reject the same Sheikh's assertion of the superiority of Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman to Ali.

This is not holistic.

Anyways. so as not to confuse others reading this thread here are the collection of hadith from Bukhari and Muslims on the superiority of Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman to Ali.

1. Ali's Son
It was narrated that Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah (who was the son of ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib) said: “I said to my father, ‘Which of the people was the best after the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)?’ He said, ‘Abu Bakr.’ I said, ‘Then who?’ He said, ‘Then ‘Umar.’ I was afraid that he would say ‘Uthmaan. I said, ‘Then is it you?’ He said, ‘I am only one of the Muslims.’”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3671.

2. Ali himself
It was narrated that ‘Ali (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “No one is brought to me who regards me as superior to Abu Bakr and ‘Umar but I will punish him with a beating like a fabricator.” Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah said: It was narrated that he used to speak from the minbar of Kufa and say that the best of this ummah after our Prophet was Abu Bakr, then ‘Umar. This was narrated from him via more than eighty isnaads, and it was narrated by al-Bukhaari and others. Hence the earlier Shi’ah all used to agree that Abu Bakr and ‘Umar were superior, as has been mentioned by more than one. Manhaaj al-Sunnah, 1/308

I was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri, who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) delivered a khutbah and said: “Allaah has given a slave the choice between this world and what is with Him, and he chose what is with Him.” Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq (may Allaah be pleased with him) began to weep, and I said to myself, “What is making this old man cry if Allaah has given a slave the choice between this world and what is with Him, and he chose what is with Him?” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was that slave, and Abu Bakr was the most knowledgeable of us. He said, “O Abu Bakr, do not weep. Abu Bakr has favoured me greatly with his companionship and his wealth. If I were to have taken a close friend among my ummah, I would have chosen Abu Bakr, but the brotherhood of Islam is sufficient. Do not leave any door to the mosque without closing it off, apart from the door of Abu Bakr.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 466; Muslim, 2382

4. One of Abu Bakr's virtue is that he accompanied the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) during the Hijrah (migration to Madeenah), as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“If you help him (Muhammad) not (it does not matter), for Allaah did indeed help him when the disbelievers drove him out, the second of the two; when they (Muhammad and Abu Bakr) were in the cave, he said to his companion (Abu Bakr): ‘Be not sad (or afraid), surely, Allaah is with us.’ Then Allaah sent down His Sakeenah (calmness, tranquillity, peace) upon him, and strengthened him with forces (angels) which you saw not, and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowermost, while the Word of Allaah that became the uppermost; and Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise”
[al-Tawbah 9:40]

And ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) appointed him as the commander of the army of Dhaat al-Salaasil. He said: So I came to him and said, “Which of the people is dearest to you?” He said, “ ‘Aa’ishah.” I said, “Who among men?” He said, “Her father.” I said, “Then who?” He said, “Then ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab,” and he mentioned some other men.
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3662; Muslim, 2384.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) appointed him to lead the prayers in his stead at the end of his life, when he fell sick with his final illness, and he rebuked those who objected to this and said, “Tell Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 683; Muslim 418.

And it was narrated from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) climbed Uhud with Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan, and it trembled beneath them. He said, ‘Stand firm, O Uhud, for there is no one on you but a Prophet, a Siddeeq and two martyrs.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3675.

It was narrated that Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whilst I was sleeping, I saw the people were shown to me, and they were wearing shirts. Some shirts came down to the chest, and some were shorter than that. ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab was shown to me and he was wearing a shirt that dragged along the ground.” They said, “How did you interpret that, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “Religious commitment.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 23; Muslim, 2390.

It was narrated that ‘Abd-Allaah ibn ‘Umar said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whilst I was sleeping, a cup of milk was brought to me and I drank until I saw its wetness coming out of my nails. Then I gave the rest to ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab.” They said, “How did you interpret that, O Messenger of Allaah?” He said, “(It is) knowledge.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 82; Muslim, 2391.

And it was narrated from ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to say, “Among the nations who came before you there were muhaddathoon (men who were inspired) and if there are any such men among my ummah, then ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab is one of them.”
Narrated by Muslim, 2398

We ask Allah to guide us and show us mercy.
May He bless all the companions of Prophet Muhammad and may all who curse them carry the curse on their own head to their grave and the hereafter. Aamin.

Abu Sa’id al-Khudri reported: The Prophet, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “Do not insult my companions. If one of you were to spend the likes of mount Uhud in gold, it would not reach a small portion of theirs or even half of that.”
Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 3470, Ṣaḥīḥ Muslim 2540
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 4:31am On Sep 01, 2019
Rashduct4luv:
Salafi sheik, ibn Saalih al-Uthaymeen also shares Shia interpretation that Mawla in the hadith of the Prophet....

But you reject the same Sheikh's assertion of the superiority of Abu Bakr, Umar and Uthman to Ali.

# The thread is specific and it's about the meaning of the word "Mawla" in the hadith of Ghadir Khumm.

# And it is very interesting to see that even Ibn Saalih Uthaymeen also admitted that "Mawla" in that hadith means "someone with authority over all affairs".

# Therefore, if the Prophet said, "Whoever I am is Mawla, then Ali is his Mawla".

The question is: was/is the Prophet the Mawla of Abubakar, Umar and Uthman?

If the answer is yes, then Ali is their Mawla. And that settle the case and rubbish all the fabricated ahadith in praise of Abubakar, Umar and Uthman posing them as superior over Ali ibn Abi Taalib.

Unfortunately, this is a hard pill for the Salafis to swallow as it is waajib (obligatory) for them to elevate those three companions over Ali.

So, let's compare the four of them academically in the light of Quran and Sunnah.

Rashduct4luv:

1. Ali's Son
It was narrated that Muhammad ibn al-Hanafiyyah (who was the son of ‘Ali ibn Abi Taalib) said: “I said to my father, ‘Which of the people was the best after the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)?’ He said, ‘Abu Bakr.’ I said, ‘Then who?’ He said, ‘Then ‘Umar.’ I was afraid that he would say ‘Uthmaan. I said, ‘Then is it you?’ He said, ‘I am only one of the Muslims.’”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3671.

Why would Ali ibn AbiTaalib lower himself to "I am only one of the Muslims"? Even you kabiru and the rest of Salafi nation believe Ali to be of the best. Isn't it?

The hadith is too polemic of a report and it is nothing  but Sunni fabrication. It is however a smart move using the name of Ali and his son as narrators.

1. ALI'S THOUGHT OF THE TRIO

If truly that was Ali's thought of Abubakar, Umar and probably Uthman, then why did he also thought them to be liars, sinful, dishonest and treacherous?

Imam Muslim documents:

"...‘He (Umar) said: When the Messenger of Allah  passed away, Abu Bakr said:" I am the successor of the Messenger of Allah  Both of you came to demand your shares from the property (left behind by the Messenger of Allah). (Referring to Hadrat 'Abbas), he said: You demanded your share from the property of your nephew, and he (referring to 'Ali) demanded a share on behalf of his wife from the property of her father. Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah  had said:" We do not have any heirs; what we leave behind is (to be given in) charity." So both of you thought him to be a liar, sinful, treacherous and dishonest. And Allah knows that he was true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth. When Abu Bakr passed away and (I have become) the successor of the Messenger of Allah  and Abu Bakr (Allah be pleased with him), you thought me to be a liar, sinful, treacherous and dishonest. And Allah knows that I am true, virtuous, well-guided and a follower of truth. I became the guardian of this property..."

Reference : Sahih Muslim 1757 c; In-book reference : Book 32, Hadith 58; USC-MSA web (English) reference : Book 19, Hadith 4349; https://sunnah.com/muslim/32/58

NOTE: In a very smart move, Sahih al-Bukhari had erase the word "liar, sinful, dishonest and treacherous" from the same hadith in his own document.
Reference : Sahih al-Bukhari 3094
In-book reference : Book 57, Hadith 3
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 53, Hadith 326
https://sunnah.com/bukhari/57/3

2. SAHABAH ARE OF CONTRARY OPINION

# Imam Ahmad documents:

Abd Allah (b. Muhammad b. Abd al-Aziz al-Baghwi) - my grandfather (Ahmad b. Muni al-Baghwi) - Abu Qatan - Shu'bah - Abu Ishaq - Abd Allah b. Yazid - Alqamah - Abd Allah b. Mas'ud:

"We used to say that the overall best of the people of Madinah was Ali ibn Abi Talib."

Ref: Ahmad b. Hanbal al-Shaybani, Fadail al-Sahabah (Beirut: Muasassat al-Risalah; 1403 H)[annotator: Dr. Wasiyullah Muhammad Abbas], vol.2, p.646,#1097

3. HADITH OF THE BIRD

Tirmidhi documents:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

"There was a bird with the Prophet (peace be upon him), so he said: 'O Allah, send to me the most beloved of Your creatures to eat this bird with me.' So 'Ali came and ate with him."

Grade: Hasan (Darussalam)

English reference : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3721; Arabic reference : Book 49, Hadith 4087
https://sunnah.com/urn/636010
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 4:34am On Sep 01, 2019
QURAN CONFIRMS ALI'S SUPERIORITY

What Does Qur’an Says

“Verily, Allah CHOOSE Adam, Nuh, the family of Ibrahim and the family of Imran above the worlds. (They are) offspring, one of the other,and  Allah is the All-Hearing, All-Knowing”{Surah al-Imran: 33- 34}

Imam al-Bukhari (d. 256H) in the Tafsir of the above ayah documents:

{Verily, Allah chose Adam, Nuh, the family of Ibrahim and the familyof Imran above the worlds…}. Ibn Abbas said:

“… They are the believers from the family of Ibrahim, the family of Imran, the family of Yasin and THE AHLI OF MUHAMMED, peace be upon him. He (Allah) says: {Verily, the most entitled to Ibrāhīm are those who followed him} They are the believers”

Source: al-Sahih Bukhari (Beirut: Dār Ibn Kathir; 3rd edition, 1407 H), vol. 3, p. 1263

Online Reference: Sahih al-Bukhari 3431
In-book reference: Book 60, Hadith 102
USC-MSA web (English) reference : Vol. 4, Book 55, Hadith 641
https://sunnah.com/bukhari/60/102

# Were Abubakar, Umar, Uthman part of Ahli Muhammad?

# And whenever Abubakar, Umar and Uthman prayed their salat, it is obligatory for them to recite salat ibrahimiyah and they must say, "O Allah, send salat and salam upon Muhammad and Ahli Muhammad exactly as you have sent salat and salam upon Ibrahim and Ahli Ibrahim..."

What are the salat (praise) that Allah sent to Ahli Ibrahim? Quran list them thus:

1. Superiority above mankind

2. Selection as Imam over mankind

3. Superior knowledge of the books etc

Again, were Abubakar, Umar, Uthman part of Ahli Muhammad?
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 5:12am On Sep 01, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

I was narrated from Abu Sa’eed al-Khudri, who said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) delivered a khutbah and said: “Allaah has given a slave the choice between this world and what is with Him, and he chose what is with Him.” Abu Bakr al-Siddeeq (may Allaah be pleased with him) began to weep, and I said to myself, “What is making this old man cry if Allaah has given a slave the choice between this world and what is with Him, and he chose what is with Him?” The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was that slave, and Abu Bakr was the most knowledgeable of us. He said, “O Abu Bakr, do not weep. Abu Bakr has favoured me greatly with his companionship and his wealth. If I were to have taken a close friend among my ummah, I would have chosen Abu Bakr, but the brotherhood of Islam is sufficient. Do not leave any door to the mosque without closing it off, apart from the door of Abu Bakr.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 466; Muslim, 2382

There are three points highlighted in the above fake hadith:

1. Abubakar as the most knowledgeable of the Ummah

2. Abubakar as the chosen one

3. All doors should be closed except that of Abubakar

TRUTH REVEALED

1. ALI WAS THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE

It is a fact that Abubakar was never knew with knowledge. Therefore, it is an empty word by Abu Saeed al-Khudri saying Abubakar was the most knowledgeable of the sahabah.

Anyway, Imam Ibn Majah documents:

It was narrated from Anas bin Malik that:

The Messenger of Allah said: The most merciful of my Ummah towards my Ummah is Abu Bakr; the one who adheres most sternly to the religion of Allah is 'Umar; the most sincere of them in shyness and modesty is 'Uthman; the best judge is 'Ali bin Abu Talib; the best in reciting the Book of Allah is Ubayy bin Ka'b; the most knowledgeable of what is lawful and unlawful is Mu'adh bin Jabal; and the most knowledgeable of the rules of inheritance (Fara'id) is Zaid bin Thabit. And every nation has a trustworthy guardian, and the trustworthy guardian of this Ummah is Abu 'Ubaidah bin Jarrah."

Grade : Sahih (Darussalam)
English reference : Vol. 1, Book 1, Hadith 154
Arabic reference : Book 1, Hadith 159
https://sunnah.com/urn/1251540

While the knowledge of Mu'adh ibn Jabal and Zaid ibn Thabit is specific to certain issue, Ali's knowledge encompass all issues therefore he was the best judge of the Ummah.

# There are several authentic narration from Ali himself which CONFIRM him to be the most knowledgeable of the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet, the two main sources of knowledge.

2. THE CHOSEN ONE OF ALLAH AND HIS MESSENGER

Apart from hadith of the bird posted earlier, Umm al-Mumineen Aisha revealed this:

# Al-Hafiz ibn Hajar al-Asqalani (d. 852 H) states:

Ahmad, Abu Dawud and al-Nasai have recorded with a Sahih Chain from Nu'man b. Bashir:

Abu Bakr sought permission to enter the house of the Prophet, peace be upon him, and heard the voice of 'Aishah, very loud, and she was saying (to the prophet), "I HAVE KNOWN THAT 'ALI IS MORE BELOVED TO YOU THAN MY FATHER."

Source: Fath al-Bari sharh Sahih al-Bukhari (Beirut: Dar al-Marifah Li al-Taba'ah wa al-Nashr, 2nd edition), vol.7, p.19

# Imam Ahmad also records:

Abd Allah (b. Ahmad) - my father (Ahmad b. Hanbal) - Abu Na'im - Yunus - al-'Ayzar b. Hurayth - al-Nu'man b. Bashir:

Abu Bakr sought the permission of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, to enter his house, and heard the voice of Aishah, very loud. She was saying, "I SWEAR BY ALLAH, I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT 'ALI IS MORE BELOVED TO YOU THAN MY FATHER AND ME." She said it twice or thrice. So, Abu Bakr sought permission (again) and entered, and reached for her, and said, "O daughter of such-and-such woman! Did I hear you raising your voice upon the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him?"

Shaykh al-Ar'naut says: Its Chain is Hasan.
Ref: Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah)[annotator: Shuaib al-Ar'naut], vol.4, p.275, #18444

3. WHOSE DOOR WAS OPENED?

"Do not leave any door to the mosque without closing it off, apart from the door of Abu Bakr.” (Sahih Bukhari)

# Imam al-Tirmidhi documents a contradictory hadith:

Narrated Ibn 'Abbas:

"The Prophet (s) ordered that the gates be closed, except the gate of 'Ali."

Grade : Hasan (Darussalam)

English reference : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3732
Arabic reference : Book 49, Hadith 4097
www.sunnah.com/tirmidhi/49

Imam al-Hakim also documents a more elaborate hadith saying it was Ali's door to the mosque that was ordered to be OPENED while all others should be closed.

DISCOVERING THE TRUTH

The essence of closure of doors that leads to the Masjid was/is solely to avoid people entering the masjid while in a state of impurities (for example, after sex) while ritual bath is not yet performed.

However, the Messenger of Allah made an exception in Ali and NOT Abubakr. Why did we say this?

Quran, surah Ahzab: 33, reads:

"Allah intends but only to keep impurity away all from you, O AHL AL-BAYT, and to purify you absolutely"

# Impurities could be physical or spiritual. The verse above talks about ALL types of impurities.

Al-Tabari recorded with a Hasan (good) chain from Qatadah, concerning His statement {Allah intends but only to keep impurity away all from you, O AHL AL-BAYT, and to purify you absolutely}:

They are an Ahl al-Bayt. Allah purified them from evil, and He gave them a special mercy from Himself.”

Source: Mawsu’at al-Sahih al-Masbur min al-Tafsir bi al-Mathur, vol. 4, p. 126

* Unfortunately, Abubakr was not of the Ahl al-bayt of the Prophet.
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 5:44am On Sep 01, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

4. One of Abu Bakr's virtue is that he accompanied the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) during the Hijrah (migration to Madeenah), as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“If you help him (Muhammad) not (it does not matter), for Allaah did indeed help him when the disbelievers drove him out, the second of the two; when they (Muhammad and Abu Bakr) were in the cave, he said to his companion (Abu Bakr): ‘Be not sad (or afraid), surely, Allaah is with us.’ Then Allaah sent down His Sakeenah (calmness, tranquillity, peace) upon him, and strengthened him with forces (angels) which you saw not, and made the word of those who disbelieved the lowermost, while the Word of Allaah that became the uppermost; and Allaah is All-Mighty, All-Wise”
[al-Tawbah 9:40]

Sura Tawbah: 40 is NEVER in praise of Abubakar rather it is an exposition of his weak faith.

# Observe how Allah always send His Sakina to the Prophet and the believers:

Surah At-Taubah, Verse 26:

Then Allah sent down His tranquillity upon His Apostle and upon the believers, and sent down hosts which you did not see, and chastised those who disbelieved, and that is the reward ...

Surah Al-Fath, Verse 18:

Certainly Allah was well pleased with the believers when they swore allegiance to you under the tree, and He knew what was in their hearts, so He sent down tranquillity on them and rewarded them with a near victory"

# Sakina - Tranquility is only being sent for a purpose:

Surah Al-Fath, Verse 4:

He it is Who sent down tranquillity into the hearts of the believers that they might have more of faith added to their faith-- and Allah's are the hosts of the heavens and the earth, and Allah is Knowing, Wise"

So why did Abubakar denied of Allah's Sakina in sura Tawbah verse 40?

Obviously there is nothing like iman in his heart to attract sakina.

Rashduct4luv:

And ‘Amr ibn al-‘Aas (may Allaah be pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) appointed him as the commander of the army of Dhaat al-Salaasil. He said: So I came to him and said, “Which of the people is dearest to you?” He said, “ ‘Aa’ishah.” I said, “Who among men?” He said, “Her father.” I said, “Then who?” He said, “Then ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab,” and he mentioned some other men.
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3662; Muslim, 2384.

Abovementioned hadith of Aisha and Hadith of bird has exposed this polemic hadith. Again, let's quote those ahadith:

1. WHAT AISHA DISCOVERED HERSELF

Imam Ahmad also records:

Abd Allah (b. Ahmad) - my father (Ahmad b. Hanbal) - Abu Na'im - Yunus - al-'Ayzar b. Hurayth - al-Nu'man b. Bashir:

Abu Bakr sought the permission of the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, to enter his house, and heard the voice of Aishah, very loud. She was saying, "I SWEAR BY ALLAH, I HAVE DISCOVERED THAT 'ALI IS MORE BELOVED TO YOU THAN MY FATHER AND ME." She said it twice or thrice. So, Abu Bakr sought permission (again) and entered, and reached for her, and said, "O daughter of such-and-such woman! Did I hear you raising your voice upon the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him?"

Shaykh al-Ar'naut says: Its Chain is Hasan.
Ref: Musnad (Cairo: Muasassat Qurtubah)[annotator: Shuaib al-Ar'naut], vol.4, p.275, #18444

2. HADITH OF THE BIRD

Tirmidhi documents:

Narrated Anas bin Malik:

"There was a bird with the Prophet (peace be upon him), so he said: 'O Allah, send to me the most beloved of Your creatures to eat this bird with me.' So 'Ali came and ate with him."

Grade: Hasan (Darussalam)

English reference : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3721; Arabic reference : Book 49, Hadith 4087
https://sunnah.com/urn/636010
Re: Sheik Ibn Saalih Al-uthaymeen's Interpretation Of The Word Mawla by AlBaqir(m): 6:18am On Sep 01, 2019
Rashduct4luv:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) appointed him to lead the prayers in his stead at the end of his life, when he fell sick with his final illness, and he rebuked those who objected to this and said, “Tell Abu Bakr to lead the people in prayer.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 683; Muslim 418.

The bulk of hadith on Abu Bakr's lead in Salat were reported by 'Aishah, and Anas. Other narration from others are carbon-copies of the two.

However, going through ALL these narration expose lots of contradiction, falsity and unimaginable claims and inconsistency in these ahadith.

On one hand, some hadith claims Abu Bakr led people in Salat, other hadith claimed he never led any Salat that before he even started, the Prophet took over. Yet, some hadith claim Prophet named Abu Bakr to lead the Salat, other says the Prophet rules ANYONE can lead the Salat.

Yet, some hadith claim Abu Bakr even led the Prophet himself in Salat, some hadith says it was the Prophet who led, and Abu Bakr was behind him; other ahadith even claimed Prophet NEVER came out to join the Prayer till he died. An inconsistent narration like these is never accepted as valid prove.

It will be cumbersome in this reply to present ALL of these ahadith. The following however will be presented where readers can see fatal contradictions:

1. Imam Ibn Hibban (d. 354H) records:
'Aisha: Abu Bakr led the people in Salat while the Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, was in the congregational row BEHIND him.

'Allamah al-Albani comments: Sahih

And, Shayk al-Arnaut concurs: Its chain is Sahih upon the standard of al-Bukhari.
Source: Sahih Ibn Hibban, vol. 5, p. 483, #2117

2. Imam Tirmidhi (d. 279H) also documents:
'Aishah:

The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, performed salat in a sitting posture BEHIND Abu Bakr during his fatal illness."

'Al-Albani comments: Sahih
Source: Al-Jami al-Sahih al-Tirmidhi, vol. 2, p. 196, #362

# ON THE CONTRARY

3. Imam al-Nasai (d. 303H) records:

'Aishah: The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, ordered Abu Bakr to lead the people in Salat."

She said: The Prophet, peace be upon him, was IN FRONT of Abu Bakr, and he performed the salat in a sitting posture while Abu Bakr led the people in salat and the people were behind Abu Bakr.

Al-Albani comments: Sahih
Source: Al-Mujtaba min al-Sunan, vol. 2, p. 83, #797

WAS ABU BAKR EVEN QUALIFIED TO LEAD PEOPLE IN SALAT LET ALONE THE PROPHET?

"O you who believe! Do not lead in front of Allah and His Messenger, and fear Allah.." {Q. 49:1}

Imam al-Mubarakfuri (d. 1282H):

"...it is NOT correct to lead in front of him (the Prophet) in Salat or in anything else, whether due to an excuse or otherwise."
Source: Tuhfat al-Ahwazi bi Sharh Jami al-Tirmidhi vol. 2, p. 294.

Al-Hafiz also writes:

"...it is NOT correct to lead in front of him, due to the prohibition of that by Allah."
Source: Fath al-Bari Sharh al-Bukhari, vol. 2, p. 146

This renders useless those hadith that alleged that Abu Bakr led the Prophet in Salat.

# PROPHET's CRITERIA OF APPOINTING IMAM IN SALAT

1. Imam Muslim in his Sahih records:

Abu Mas'ud al-Ansari:

The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said: "The people should be led in Salat by the best reciter of the Book of Allah among them. But if they are equal in recitation, then the one who is the most knowledgeable among them concerning the Sunnah. If they are equal regarding the Sunnah, then the earliest of them to do the hijrah. If they are equal in the hijrah, then the earliest of them to embrace Islam. No man can lead another in Salat in a place where the latter has authority, or sit in his place of honor in his house without his permission." 
Source: Sahih Muslim, vol. 1, p. 465, #673

2. Imam Ahmad (d. 241H) records:

"Al-Ash'ari led his companions in a salat...So, al-'Ashari said, "...Verily, the Prophet of Allah, peace be upon him, gave us a sermon and taught us our Sunnah, and explained to us our salat. So, he said, 'Establish your congregational rows. Then, the best reciter among you should be your Imam."

Shaykh al-Arnaut says: Its chain is sahih upon the standard of (Imam) Muslim.
Source: Musnad, vol. 4, p. 409, #19680

3. Imam Muslim further records:

Abu Sa'id al-Khudri:

The Messenger of Allah, peace be upon him, said: "Whenever there are three persons, one of them should be their Imam. The most entitled to be the Imam among them is the best reciter among them.
Source: Sahih Muslim, vol. 1, p. 464, #672 (289)

# ABUBAKAR WAS NEVER A RECITER OF QURAN

So, who was the best reciter of the Quran? Abu Bakr was NEVER even among the reciters let alone the best. Imam al-Bukhari records:

'Amr b. 'Ali - Yahya - Sufyan - Habib - Sa'id b. Jubayr - Ibn Abbas:

'Umar, may Allah be pleased with him, said: "The best reciter among us is Ubayy, and the best judge among us is 'Ali."

Source: Al-Sahih al-Mukhtasar, vol. 4, p. 1628, #4211

# ABU BAKR WAS LED IN SALAT BY A FREED SLAVE

Imam al-Bukhari records: Ibn 'Umar:

Salim, the freed slave of Abu Hudhayfah, used to lead the earliest Muhajirun and the Sahabah of the Prophet, peace be upon him, in Salat in the Mosque of Quba. Among them were Abu Bakr, 'Umar, Abu Salamah, and Amir b. Rabi'ah."
Source: Al-Jami al-Sahih al-Mukhtasar, vol. 6, p. 2625, #6754

Imam Ibn Abi Shaybah (d. 235H) and Imam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal also document this hadith.

So what's the fuss as to the alleged Abu Bakr's leadership in Salat if at all its true?!.

Rashduct4luv:

And it was narrated from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) climbed Uhud with Abu Bakr, ‘Umar and ‘Uthmaan, and it trembled beneath them. He said, ‘Stand firm, O Uhud, for there is no one on you but a Prophet, a Siddeeq and two martyrs.”
Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3675.

Why would the mountain of Uhud not shaking when those three musketeers ran away from the battlefield and hide themselves on the mountain of Uhud? Than even ran away so much that he only came back to Madina after 3 days.

Imam Fakhr al-Razi:

The summary of narrations is that a group of them [Sahaba] ran away and went far away, some of them entered Madina, some of them ran to other districts, but most of them went to the mountain and gathered there. Among those who escaped was Umar, but he was not among the first ones who escaped and he did not run far away, but he remained on the mountain and waited there until Messenger of Allah climbed the mountain! Among those who escaped was Uthman who escaped with two other men of Ansar, their names were Sa'd and Uqba, they ran away until they reached a far place and came back after three days! Then Prophet Said to them: 'You ran a far distance!'

Source: Tafsir Fakhr al-Razi Mafatih al-Ghayb, vol.9, p.52

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2 Men Charged With Murder: The Christian Charged With Murder While Muslim Terror / Evolution : An Islamic Understanding / Pictures In Islam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.